First time trying to raise a baby phiomia

joha

Male and female  phiomia   check.

Set to wander  in small encloser   check

Wait for guestation         check.

Gather tons of fruit     check

Watch birth                 check

try to imprint            not sure. claimed ok

feed  and feed       not great was born late at night.

STill trying to feed              so tired

why does it take so long.    to get to even 1 %

I accidently die.  Guess I should watch my food too.

owww  its dead too. 

Question   Why take sooo soo long to raise with such a small food  amount at a time?

Guess we are not going to raise dinos.

Don't worry though, if that was your very first attempt on raising a baby, you just made a very bad choice ;) many mature a lot faster, have a much shorter baby stage and/or can hold enough food for at least 2 hours after half or even less of their baby stage. Mammals require a bit more planning because gestation can't be paused (you can always put eggs in the fridge to resume incubation/hatch them later, but you'll most likely need ACs to incubate the eggs).

If raising herbivores is easier for you, maybe try Ankylo (egg layer) or Doedicurus (mammal), both have only 5-6 hours baby stage and mature in less than 2 and a half days. If getting enough meat isn't a problem, maybe try Pteras, Argents or Wolves. Keep in mind that once they reach Juvenile stage, they can eat out of a trough and don't need to be hand fed anymore.

Also use Dododex, it tells you exactly how long incubation/gestation, baby stage and the whole maturing process takes: http://www.dododex.com/

reason for phiomia   they were there.    being mammals  We originally thought they fed from mom      but did not realize they required quite more care than a real baby.

oh well I am not setting on the game  staring at a  baby feeding it every few minutes.   As much as I love breeding animal type games.  Love figuring out genetics.

I have rocks to pound  wood to cut  and dilos and raptors to kill and eat.  OH and a very large wall to build

2 minutes ago, joha said:

reason for phiomia   they were there.    being mammals  We originally thought they fed from mom      but did not realize they required quite more care than a real baby.

oh well I am not setting on the game  staring at a  baby feeding it every few minutes.   As much as I love breeding animal type games.  Love figuring out genetics.

I have rocks to pound  wood to cut  and dilos and raptors to kill and eat.  OH and a very large wall to build

As others have said, the phiomia was just a bad choice unfortunately. You might think a dodo is the easiest to breed, but alas, that is just not the case with Ark. A lot of it comes down to consumption and their weight. A higher weight dino will be able to take much more food much sooner. Out of all the breeds, I think Rex are one of the easiest to be honest. The only downside is you need a decent amount of meat, but if you are breeding rexes you should have the ability to do that. Their weight goes up so quick that you really only have to be standing there for about 15-30 mins or so and you will get a decent buffer time to go out and farm/build your wall etc before having to come back and refill the food. The dodo or phiomia on this hand however have much lower weight and they don't mature nearly as quick as you'd expect (especially the phiomia it sounds) so you are hand feeding forever as they have very little weight as well. All in all, breeding can be tedious, but it's not as bad as it seemed there. And as others have said, pick a dino that will be very useful for you to have an imprint with such as a good gatherer (anky/doed) or if you have the ability to get a decent amount of meat see about getting a rex egg from someone if you don't have them already. The meat isn't all that hard to farm, especially if there is a 2x harvesting over the weekend.

Archived