Every Flyer from worst to best

TheWorldEater

I got bored and decided to make a list of the best flying dinosaurs in ark, so here goes nothing

9: Pelagornis

In any circumstance the pelagornis will always be utterly useless, this big bird can make for a decent traveling mount, provided you’re only out to get somewhere, not to pick fights, pelagornis is absolute garbage in fighting, which gives it little use to anyone.

8: Lymantria

This large moth might look intimidating, but get close and they flee, these creatures are more useful as Xp farms then actual tames, not to mention the toxic cloud they make when hit doesn’t do jack squat, lymantria will never come off as useful, unless your playing as a hermit who only uses insects as his tames.

7: Pteranodon

Now we begin with the Dino’s that actually provide some utility, the pteranodon is your go-to early game flyer, they have decent speed, and will be able to carry you away should you get into a fight you can’t win, the pteranodon is a very useful early game tame, and if it has reached a high enough movement speed, it can have certain uses late game.

6: Tapejara 

Essentially an improved version of the pteranodon, the Tapejara has all the perks of the pteranodon, just with stats set for midgame, and with high enough level, end game, Tapejara can do anything the Pteranodon can do, but better, this however, doesn’t mean they can do all tasks better than the rest of the creatures on this list

5: Phoenix 

These big fire birds are all bark and no bite, they can fight pretty well, but they can’t land and are so absurd you can hardly control them, the only use a Phoenix could have is as an advanced type of scout, seeing as they are very fast and can protect themselves decently (against only other flyers, a rex or Spino or even a grounded wyvern could kill them easy). However, their immunity to fire gives them a valuable spot for going to the world scar, but unless you are part of an advanced tribe and are out to go get a personal wyvern, you will almost always have a wyvern before you have a Phoenix.

4: Argentavis 

You might be wondering how the argentavis passed the phoenix, well it can’t do anything better than the phoenix, it just has less flaws, argentavis has a great carry weight for its size, which allows it to be a mobile storage unit, argentavis is also one of the only flyers on the island capable of protecting itself, while it can’t usually fight off something like a Spino, (if it can someone check his medical history.). Argentavis has an invaluable spot in aerial combat

3: Griffin

We all knew who it was going to come down to, it was just a matter of placement, and the griffin comes in at 3rd by default, the griffin isn’t bad, the other creatures here are just have more uses, but the phoenix out classes the other Dino’s in terms of one thing; speed, the griffin, while not glorious in combat, the griffin is easily the fastest flyer in the game, and perhaps even the fastest creature in all of ark.

2: Quetzal

You might be screaming in outrage about quetzal not being it the top spot, but listen, the quetzal is slow, which doesn’t make is glorious in a fight, what does? The platform saddle and the turrets you could attach  to it, while the platform saddle and mounted turrets are amazing in combat, they are also what kept the quetzal from the top spot, these are the things that make the quetzal useful, but they are a burden, obtaining the platform saddle and turret to put on top of this creature is easier said then done, but with these items, the quetzal dominates the island with an iron fist, and is a force to be reckoned with.

Wyverns / dragons

fore I talk about the undisputed lord of scorched earth, here’s a ranking of every type of wyvern

4:Ice-Aesthetically beautiful, but has a poor special attack

3:Poison-Another aesthetically awesome creature, this wyverns special attack is sadly weak and hard to aim

2:Fire-The master of crowd control, the fire wyvern has a strong special attack, but is outclassed by one other dragon

1:Thunder-With a terrifying special attack that destroys anything in its wake, the only way this wyvern could die to another creature on SE is if it fights a rock elemental head on

Anyways, the wyverns as a whole, the terrifying lords of the sky, the wyverns ai is easily exploitable, but if the player controls them, the stats are there to destroy all of your enemies, the dragons are set with strong health, powerful damage, and the most destructive special attack ever. The wyverns only have one weakness, they have a shameful turning radius, though most large Dino’s do, a player controlled wyvern gets around this weakness by flying away and coming back to get a new angle. Wyverns are, and always will be the lords of the sky, and the undisputed lords of scorched earth.

That is until a nerf

well that took a while, anyway if you disagree with something, let me know.

I came back to edit this to help with any confusion, I was ranking these flyers as war mounts, not for gathering, which should be a no brainer considering all flyers suck at gathering anything other than meat. 

And stop whining about the Griffin, these are my opinions and they won't change.

Yes there are some nuances you might want to consider in your list, such as the combat oriented ability to pick up and drop other players.

Also, while I'm not necessarily suggesting that their ranking should change, don't overlook the special abilities of the Pelagornis (Organic Polymer/fish meat gathering/water landing) and the Lymantria (90% Slow/stamina drain).

I don't think I've ever disagreed with one post as much lol:

Wyvern's clunky, dopey mounts that won't ever land when you want, awful for picking and not great weight considering it's size. That saying I do use them just because they are the best looking IMO.

Quetzal's are now IMO pointless given  the effort in taming them and the recent TLC to the Argie including the weight reduction on most farming resources. Also really easy to tame in comparison to a Quetz/Wyvern.

Griffin is the king of combat with it's speed and divebomb.

Ptera's are the king of early game/solo player PVP tame.

Phoenix, never head one but seems a Jar to get one so I won't ever tame one.

Tapejara is a poor man's griffin.

Lymantria I have never tamed and Pelagornis for organic poly althrough I never tame one.

Just my 2 cents. ?

from what you just stated Griffin is good bla blah every other flyer sucks

Griffin is a great mount I'll agree, but as someone else stated I was looking at these as war mounts, if I didn't, I would rank Griffin the same still, they have trash weight and health, a guy with flak armor and armor and a shotgun killed 2 of my Griffin, and this is my personal opinion, I made this because I'm bored

and Griffin dive bomb... when he dives into the ground he becomes a vessel for bullets and dino attacks

watch a video on YouTube, a Griffin will lose to a wyvern or a Phoenix

8 hours ago, BT20 said:

How are you going to put the Phoenix as number 5 when the payback on the investment of taming one is horible.

The Phoenix is so rare and useless that the one time you do tame one it’s just to have for looks. 

They have good stats for combat, and late game when you do have one no pteranodon or tapejara is gonna kill that Phoenix 

wyverns are the best without question

the griffin can be good for exploring a new server but its attack is so weak take 10 hits to kill a dodo

when ever i see someone using a flyer thats not a wyvern i basically think they must be a noob 

even transporting heavy mats i would still use a wyvern

but for metal maybe a quetzal and ankylo unless its in a more dangerous area then wyvern and ankylo

to make the smallers flyer viable wc can make areas of the map where u have to go through tunnels that the larger flyers cant fit through. i dont mean a cave but some kind of mountain range wall but have the larger flyer still be able to go to the area but needing to go through a longer way

also i think what is needed is a flyer that can gather berries (maybe the Pegasus)

On 6/26/2018 at 12:17 PM, TheWorldEater said:

I got bored and decided to make a list of the best flying dinosaurs in ark, so here goes nothing

9: Pelagornis

In any circumstance the pelagornis will always be utterly useless, this big bird can make for a decent traveling mount, provided you’re only out to get somewhere, not to pick fights, pelagornis is absolute garbage in fighting, which gives it little use to anyone.

8: Lymantria

This large moth might look intimidating, but get close and they flee, these creatures are more useful as Xp farms then actual tames, not to mention the toxic cloud they make when hit doesn’t do jack squat, lymantria will never come off as useful, unless your playing as a hermit who only uses insects as his tames.

7: Pteranodon

Now we begin with the Dino’s that actually provide some utility, the pteranodon is your go-to early game flyer, they have decent speed, and will be able to carry you away should you get into a fight you can’t win, the pteranodon is a very useful early game tame, and if it has reached a high enough movement speed, it can have certain uses late game.

6: Tapejara 

Essentially an improved version of the pteranodon, the Tapejara has all the perks of the pteranodon, just with stats set for midgame, and with high enough level, end game, Tapejara can do anything the Pteranodon can do, but better, this however, doesn’t mean they can do all tasks better than the rest of the creatures on this list

5: Phoenix 

These big fire birds are all bark and no bite, they can fight pretty well, but they can’t land and are so absurd you can hardly control them, the only use a Phoenix could have is as an advanced type of scout, seeing as they are very fast and can protect themselves decently (against only other flyers, a rex or Spino or even a grounded wyvern could kill them easy). However, their immunity to fire gives them a valuable spot for going to the world scar, but unless you are part of an advanced tribe and are out to go get a personal wyvern, you will almost always have a wyvern before you have a Phoenix.

4: Argentavis 

You might be wondering how the argentavis passed the phoenix, well it can’t do anything better than the phoenix, it just has less flaws, argentavis has a great carry weight for its size, which allows it to be a mobile storage unit, argentavis is also one of the only flyers on the island capable of protecting itself, while it can’t usually fight off something like a Spino, (if it can someone check his medical history.). Argentavis has an invaluable spot in aerial combat

3: Griffin

We all knew who it was going to come down to, it was just a matter of placement, and the griffin comes in at 3rd by default, the griffin isn’t bad, the other creatures here are just have more uses, but the phoenix out classes the other Dino’s in terms of one thing; speed, the griffin, while not glorious in combat, the griffin is easily the fastest flyer in the game, and perhaps even the fastest creature in all of ark.

2: Quetzal

You might be screaming in outrage about quetzal not being it the top spot, but listen, the quetzal is slow, which doesn’t make is glorious in a fight, what does? The platform saddle and the turrets you could attach  to it, while the platform saddle and mounted turrets are amazing in combat, they are also what kept the quetzal from the top spot, these are the things that make the quetzal useful, but they are a burden, obtaining the platform saddle and turret to put on top of this creature is easier said then done, but with these items, the quetzal dominates the island with an iron fist, and is a force to be reckoned with.

Wyverns / dragons

fore I talk about the undisputed lord of scorched earth, here’s a ranking of every type of wyvern

4:Ice-Aesthetically beautiful, but has a poor special attack

3:Poison-Another aesthetically awesome creature, this wyverns special attack is sadly weak and hard to aim

2:Fire-The master of crowd control, the fire wyvern has a strong special attack, but is outclassed by one other dragon

1:Thunder-With a terrifying special attack that destroys anything in its wake, the only way this wyvern could die to another creature on SE is if it fights a rock elemental head on

Anyways, the wyverns as a whole, the terrifying lords of the sky, the wyverns ai is easily exploitable, but if the player controls them, the stats are there to destroy all of your enemies, the dragons are set with strong health, powerful damage, and the most destructive special attack ever. The wyverns only have one weakness, they have a shameful turning radius, though most large Dino’s do, a player controlled wyvern gets around this weakness by flying away and coming back to get a new angle. Wyverns are, and always will be the lords of the sky, and the undisputed lords of scorched earth.

That is until a nerf

well that took a while, anyway if you disagree with something, let me know.

I came back to edit this to help with any confusion, I was ranking these flyers as war mounts, not for gathering, which should be a no brainer considering all flyers suck at gathering anything other than meat. 

And stop whining about the Griffin, these are my opinions and they won't change.

First things first, you might want to rename that thread as "Best combat flyer list by TheWorldEater" because you classify each flyer based on their combat ability rather than their overall usefullness. Besides that, things you and I consider useful is a highly subjective topic, thus making this list somewhat different for each player.

Pelagornis
As someone mentionned in a previous answer, it seems you missed the main purpose of the pelagornis, which is to farm solid amounts of polymer. For the raw combat ability of the flyer, yes it can hold its own against some wildlife, but it's obviously not its main goal.

Lymantria
Tamed some in the early days of SE and never bothered to tame them again since. They are awfully slow and their silk generation ability has never been implemented, nullifying any reasons for me to tame them.

Pteranodon
Even if this one lost its ability to barrel roll spam and its quick speed (pre-nerf), it still remains a solid PvP asset for scouting and aerial engagements. You sure can't beat a wyvern or a griffin in raw speed but its maneuvrability is unmatched. It's also the easiest flyer to acquire early game (lvl 38 for the prim saddle).

Tapejara
I haven't used tapejaras a lot in PvP combats. Overall, it has decent HP, stam and carry weight. 3 seats saddle is a plus for taming quetzals and griefing crews. VTOL ability (griffin as well) and capability to land on vertical surface is an asset. It is worth mentionning that it is the only flyer in the game for which a Tek saddle is available.

Phoenix
Nice looking bird. The mobile forge/grill ability is a neat concept, but who really tame it for that purpose anyways? Its speed is great but it has no saddle, weaker HP than a griffin and won't EVER land, thus making it very unpractical in PvP situation where you can potentially be picked/droped and need to remount ASAP.

Argentavis
This in my humble opinion deserves #1 spot for overall usefullness in both combat and PvE situation. Solid base HP & stamina, ability to reach insane weight, overall weight reduction on ressources, mobile smithy, double grab (beak + claws), ability to carry anky/doed, and can easily defend itself against most threats, wyverns included. It is so good since the TLC update it outmatch most mid-level quetzals.

Griffin
Another excellent flyer, but I believe is more combat oriented than vanilla mounts (Pteras & Argies). Still has decent HP despite the nerf, solid speed and it's dive bomb ability serves well for boom & zoom tactics. Has no saddle like the phoenix, and thus is highly vulnerable to turrets and snipers. For the record, the Microraptor is the fastest animal in Ark (as tested by Cantex on his YouTube channel).

Quetzal
I believe the quetzal is still a very good flyer for both PvE & PvP activities, despite the nerf. Yes it is painfully slow (slower than the moth?) but its high HP, stam and carry weight more than makes up for that drawback. I wouldn't bother with anything but a high level quetzal for farming activities as it is outclassed by the argentavis.

Mounted turrets are not as powerful as they used to be and from PvP experience, I'll take a good fab sniper before jumping in a mounted turret. Once mounted in said turret, you have ZERO protection whatsoever, can be easily shot at, picked up, etc.

Wyverns
Small details for fantasy fans like myself. Dragons has four limbs + set of wings. Wyverns/Wyrms has 2 limbs + set of wings. Overall, wyverns have strong HP and damage but are highly vulnerable to turrets/snipers due to lacking a saddle and having such a large hitbox. Turn radius is awful and getting back on your wyvern after being picked up is a nightmare.

- Ice wyvern : Decent damage despite lacking the DoT effect of its fire counterpart. It's slowing ability makes it a solid griffin/wyvern hunter in PvP situation.
- Poison wyvern : Longest special attack range among wyverns. Easily the most underated one by PvP players since it's the weakest at killing tames. Its purpose is simple, to kill players. Its breath attack will one-shot anyone with a direct hit, no matter the quality of said armor. Its breath effect also goes through walls, making it ideal for killing quetz/titan riders.
- Fire wyvern : The jack-of-all-trades among wyverns. A monster for farming organic polymer in the Raganarok Deathsands. Solid dps, can make short work of grouped opponents. Pathetic range of its special attack.
- Lightning wyvern : By far the most popular choice for PvP. Medium range with astonishing dps, enough said here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I want to mention that this is my opinion from 4k hours playing on official PvP servers since the EA launch.
Yeah, I know my english is terrible since it's not my main language.

Regards.

All monts have their own utility. 

In wars:

griffin only use is sniping in air

ptera is best human picker by far

Quetzal for picking therezinos while being solid and protected from snipers

Wyvern can solo pick tame and kill it get killed easly. It can also push tames with his wings.

For pve

argy for farming solo ( quetzal if duo) 

wyvern for meat or transport medium tames

And griffins for speed moove around the map  

My go to flyer was Pelagornis. Yes it always had the weakest stats eveen pre-nerf but I'll take that for the ability to land on water when the Pela needs a rest where other dinos have to land. on the ground and be vulnerable to predators. Plus as others have stated they are good at getting organic polymer so you don't have to craft normal polymer. Another thing they are great at is harvesting jellyfish venom. At 300 percent attack they can one shot jellies and their peck has big AOE so you can 1 shot a group. If I remember right each harvest off 1 jelly gave 40 venom. WC has probably nerfed harvest numbers over the moonths though lol. I wouldn't be surprised.

I also liked Tapejaras for their great agility. Pump weight and STAM and rule the skies with 2 well armed buddies.

14 hours ago, TheWorldEater said:

from what you just stated Griffin is good bla blah every other flyer sucks

Griffin is a great mount I'll agree, but as someone else stated I was looking at these as war mounts, if I didn't, I would rank Griffin the same still, they have trash weight and health, a guy with flak armor and armor and a shotgun killed 2 of my Griffin, and this is my personal opinion, I made this because I'm bored

and Griffin dive bomb... when he dives into the ground he becomes a vessel for bullets and dino attacks

watch a video on YouTube, a Griffin will lose to a wyvern or a Phoenix

A griffin should never dive into the ground for damage, always use glide and then time your attacks for massive bonus dmg.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:50 AM, Darkholis said:

First things first, you might want to rename that thread as "Best combat flyer list by TheWorldEater" because you classify each flyer based on their combat ability rather than their overall usefullness. Besides that, things you and I consider useful is a highly subjective topic, thus making this list somewhat different for each player.

Pelagornis
As someone mentionned in a previous answer, it seems you missed the main purpose of the pelagornis, which is to farm solid amounts of polymer. For the raw combat ability of the flyer, yes it can hold its own against some wildlife, but it's obviously not its main goal.

Lymantria
Tamed some in the early days of SE and never bothered to tame them again since. They are awfully slow and their silk generation ability has never been implemented, nullifying any reasons for me to tame them.

Pteranodon
Even if this one lost its ability to barrel roll spam and its quick speed (pre-nerf), it still remains a solid PvP asset for scouting and aerial engagements. You sure can't beat a wyvern or a griffin in raw speed but its maneuvrability is unmatched. It's also the easiest flyer to acquire early game (lvl 38 for the prim saddle).

Tapejara
I haven't used tapejaras a lot in PvP combats. Overall, it has decent HP, stam and carry weight. 3 seats saddle is a plus for taming quetzals and griefing crews. VTOL ability (griffin as well) and capability to land on vertical surface is an asset. It is worth mentionning that it is the only flyer in the game for which a Tek saddle is available.

Phoenix
Nice looking bird. The mobile forge/grill ability is a neat concept, but who really tame it for that purpose anyways? Its speed is great but it has no saddle, weaker HP than a griffin and won't EVER land, thus making it very unpractical in PvP situation where you can potentially be picked/droped and need to remount ASAP.

Argentavis
This in my humble opinion deserves #1 spot for overall usefullness in both combat and PvE situation. Solid base HP & stamina, ability to reach insane weight, overall weight reduction on ressources, mobile smithy, double grab (beak + claws), ability to carry anky/doed, and can easily defend itself against most threats, wyverns included. It is so good since the TLC update it outmatch most mid-level quetzals.

Griffin
Another excellent flyer, but I believe is more combat oriented than vanilla mounts (Pteras & Argies). Still has decent HP despite the nerf, solid speed and it's dive bomb ability serves well for boom & zoom tactics. Has no saddle like the phoenix, and thus is highly vulnerable to turrets and snipers. For the record, the Microraptor is the fastest animal in Ark (as tested by Cantex on his YouTube channel).

Quetzal
I believe the quetzal is still a very good flyer for both PvE & PvP activities, despite the nerf. Yes it is painfully slow (slower than the moth?) but it's high HP, stam and carry weight more than makes up for that drawback. I wouldn't bother with anything but a high level quetzal for farming activities as it is outclassed by the argentavis.

Mounted turrets are not as powerful as they used to be and from PvP experience, I'll take a good fab sniper before jumping in a mounted turret. Once mounted in said turret, you have ZERO protection whatsoever, can be easily shot at, picked up, etc.

Wyverns
Small details for fantasy fans like myself. Dragons has four limbs + set of wings. Wyverns/Wyrms has 2 limbs + set of wings. Overall, wyverns have strong HP and damage but are highly vulnerable to turrets/snipers due to lacking a saddle and having such a large hitbox. Turn radius is awful and getting back on your wyvern after being picked up is a nightmare.

- Ice wyvern : Decent damage despite lacking the DoT effect of its fire counterpart. It's slowing ability makes it a solid griffin/wyvern hunter in PvP situation.
- Poison wyvern : Longest special attack range among wyverns. Easily the most underated one by PvP players since it's the weakest at killing tames. Its purpose is simple, to kill players. Its breath attack will one-shot anyone with a direct hit, no matter the quality of said armor. Its breath effect also goes through walls, making it ideal for killing quetz/titan riders.
- Fire wyvern : The jack-of-all-trades among wyverns. A monster for farming organic polymer in the Raganarok Deathsands. Solid dps, can make short work of grouped opponents. Pathetic range of its special attack.
- Lightning wyvern : By far the most popular choice for PvP. Medium range with astonishing dps, enough said here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I want to mention that this is my opinion from 4k hours playing on official PvP servers since the EA launch.
Yeah, I know my english is terrible since it's not my main language.

Regards.

Glad i can mostly agree, i called the wyverns dragons because i played lots of skyrim and the dragons in there look like wyverns

And the reason i said i didnt like poison much is cuz i suck at aiming its attack

On 6/27/2018 at 1:23 AM, Woodsman said:

wyverns are the best without question

the griffin can be good for exploring a new server but its attack is so weak take 10 hits to kill a dodo

when ever i see someone using a flyer thats not a wyvern i basically think they must be a noob 

even transporting heavy mats i would still use a wyvern

but for metal maybe a quetzal and ankylo unless its in a more dangerous area then wyvern and ankylo

to make the smallers flyer viable wc can make areas of the map where u have to go through tunnels that the larger flyers cant fit through. i dont mean a cave but some kind of mountain range wall but have the larger flyer still be able to go to the area but needing to go through a longer way

also i think what is needed is a flyer that can gather berries (maybe the Pegasus)

Glad i can agree

Archived