What happens next will make or break the future of this game...

prodigy1202

Alright. Extinction is announced and is well under way in development. I’m sure that when it is released it will be well received as Aberration was it not better the content will be high quality and the Ark community’s appetite for new content will temporarily satiated. That’s not what I’m anxious for, however. We all know that the Exrinction DLC is imminent, however what we don’t know is what comes next. I have seen people talking about Ark 2. While I don’t actually think Ark needs a sequel I do have an extensive check list of things that should be done before a sequel is even considered: (the following are not in order of importance)

- TLC’s phase 3 through 5: While even a phase three as far as I understand is not confirmed, much less a 4 and 5, however I think that three more phases are necessary before there are no more truly useless animals in Ark.

- Structures+ features added into the base game.

- Sponsored Mods on Console

- Tons more bug fixes 

- Find a way to make PVP possible on the appropriate servers without allowing griefing.

- Fix undermapping and other problems on multiplayer servers.

- More maps and more dinos although I know i think that will all be reserved for the sequel.

- Vast improvement in both wild and tamed Dino AI.

Now I want to hear what you guys want to see happen with Ark. I don’t really want to see creature suggestions or specific bug fixes as there are already pages for both of those things, but suggestions for useful new items, tweaks in mechanics etc are all welcome.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Skiidzman said:

You must play pve... how about fixing cheating, meshing, exploits, hackers? You know... the most game-breakin things.

That definitely needs to be fixed. I just got another xbox after a 2 months break cause i just moved into a new apartment. I was suppose to join my buddys alpha tribe that was established on multiple servers but two other alpha tribes wiped and undermeshed them.

If this does not happen next, or soon, I'm done with Ark:  I mentioned this in other posts and will continue to do so until someone at WC wakes up and fixes this crap:  The server transfer system.  Absolutely off putting, especially for solo players.  They force you to map hop more and more at every DLC but the system is rickety and people lose their characters every day.   Barely any support from WC.  You can start from a level 1 character again, at best.  Solo players like me can even lose access to their own bases and dinos.  And then you better hope WC responds to your ticket within 2 weeks or all your structures decay and your dinos are unclaimed before they grant you access back.  Ridiculous.  My whole game is on hold until they fix this.  Top up food every few days and log off.   If they don't improve this, bye bye ark in a few months.  Not going to start from zero again on extinction.  I got so much stuff on Abberation I could set up a 6 man tribe with top gear and top creatures, I'm not going to grind for the exact same stuff on  Extinction.   if I can't transfer myself and my gear 100% safely every time I'm done with this game. 

10 hours ago, Skiidzman said:

You must play pve... how about fixing cheating, meshing, exploits, hackers? You know... the most game-breakin things.

“Fix the undermapping and other problems on multiplayer servers.”

That was meant to encompass cheating meshing etc. I don’t play on servers at all actually so no I don’t know the actually problems specifically so I put them in general terms.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:59 PM, prodigy1202 said:

Alright. Extinction is announced and is well under way in development. I’m sure that when it is released it will be well received as Aberration was it not better the content will be high quality and the Ark community’s appetite for new content will temporarily satiated. That’s not what I’m anxious for, however. We all know that the Exrinction DLC is imminent, however what we don’t know is what comes next. I have seen people talking about Ark 2. While I don’t actually think Ark needs a sequel I do have an extensive check list of things that should be done before a sequel is even considered: (the following are not in order of importance)

- TLC’s phase 3 through 5: While even a phase three as far as I understand is not confirmed, much less a 4 and 5, however I think that three more phases are necessary before there are no more truly useless animals in Ark.

- Structures+ features added into the base game.

- Sponsored Mods on Console

- Tons more bug fixes 

- Find a way to make PVP possible on the appropriate servers without allowing griefing.

- Fix undermapping and other problems on multiplayer servers.

- More maps and more dinos although I know i think that will all be reserved for the sequel.

- Vast improvement in both wild and tamed Dino AI.

Now I want to hear what you guys want to see happen with Ark. I don’t really want to see creature suggestions or specific bug fixes as there are already pages for both of those things, but suggestions for useful new items, tweaks in mechanics etc are all welcome.

If I was a betting man, this is how I'd see the next 2 years of ARK play out:

1.  Extinction DLC drops in November.

2.  Bug/Exploit Fixing each month until March.

3.  Begin a new TLC process for dinos and structures, including adding of S+ by the summer.

4.  Introduce a new Mod Map, like Crystal Isles, into the rotation by September

5.  Introduce limited mod support for player run servers, allowing people to choose from 10 mods that have been vetted and are ready for release.  December.

6.  Continue with TLC/Bug/Exploit Fixes until March.

7.  Introduce new Mods and a new Mod Map or Total Conversion (Grumpy town?  Dragonpunk?) by the Summer.

8.  Drop a release trailer/teaser for ARK 2:  Evolution, set to release by December.

They NEED to do an ARK 2.  They cannot, and have admitted that they cannot, fix ARK's code.  It's a jumbled spaghetti mess laden with Tech Debt from the development process.  They need to be making their own engine or working with the most recent version of Unreal.  They need to use everything they learned from ARK to make ARK 2 and ARK 2 will need to deliver a AAA quality release.  If they release ARK 2 and it's the same buggy mess as ARK, then ARK is dead.

8 minutes ago, Brayn said:

If I was a betting man, this is how I'd see the next 2 years of ARK play out:

1.  Extinction DLC drops in November.

2.  Bug/Exploit Fixing each month until March.

3.  Begin a new TLC process for dinos and structures, including adding of S+ by the summer.

4.  Introduce a new Mod Map, like Crystal Isles, into the rotation by September

5.  Introduce limited mod support for player run servers, allowing people to choose from 10 mods that have been vetted and are ready for release.  December.

6.  Continue with TLC/Bug/Exploit Fixes until March.

7.  Introduce new Mods and a new Mod Map or Total Conversion (Grumpy town?  Dragonpunk?) by the Summer.

8.  Drop a release trailer/teaser for ARK 2:  Evolution, set to release by December.

They NEED to do an ARK 2.  They cannot, and have admitted that they cannot, fix ARK's code.  It's a jumbled spaghetti mess laden with Tech Debt from the development process.  They need to be making their own engine or working with the most recent version of Unreal.  They need to use everything they learned from ARK to make ARK 2 and ARK 2 will need to deliver a AAA quality release.  If they release ARK 2 and it's the same buggy mess as ARK, then ARK is dead.

While I agree that Optimization alone is a good enough reason to have an Ark 2, I really hope they just spend the money to make their own engine. If you want to deliver a AAA quality experience you don’t want to use a pre made engine.

I also hope they pay more attention to detail with each mechanic, model, animation etc. I imagine Ark 2 as a game with the quantity of Ark and the quality of Subnautica. That would pretty much be my dream game.

I would also hope they get some pretty hefty server security and get a solid set of rules going on PVP and PVE servers.

23 minutes ago, prodigy1202 said:

While I agree that Optimization alone is a good enough reason to have an Ark 2, I really hope they just spend the money to make their own engine. If you want to deliver a AAA quality experience you don’t want to use a pre made engine.

I also hope they pay more attention to detail with each mechanic, model, animation etc. I imagine Ark 2 as a game with the quantity of Ark and the quality of Subnautica. That would pretty much be my dream game.

I would also hope they get some pretty hefty server security and get a solid set of rules going on PVP and PVE servers.

Most FPS type games use someone else's engine so I have absolutely zero issue with WC using it.  If you want them to make the game great and as bug free as possible why would you want them putting all that effort into creating a new engine? Makes no sense.

6 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

Most FPS type games use someone else's engine so I have absolutely zero issue with WC using it.  If you want them to make the game great and as bug free as possible why would you want them putting all that effort into creating a new engine? Makes no sense.

Makes sense from a development standpoint.  Assuming they'd release ARK 2 like they did with ARK, with minimal purchasable addons like DLC, then having their own engine could be a near infinite source of development funds.  The market is desperate for an engine that is tailor made to run Survival games.  Wildcard would become the next Epic.

But, seeing how the mobile game is, I imagine ARK 2 will be full of purchaseable loot boxes.

seriously, from my viewpoint, the hard core pve old lady, I love ark and the most serious thing for me is fix the lag, fix the roll backs when I panic raising gigas, change the tame cap in some fashion so that when I put an egg down to incubate it doesn't take all week to get done.  Ragnarok is huge, could it have a higher tame cap count?  Anyways, love ark and love the team that put it together.  Keep on Surviving!

30 minutes ago, Grandta said:

Is their not a death barrier under the map? I mean if undermeshing means what I think it means, going under the map then the only fix is adding a death barrier under the map.

Shouldn't be that hard to implement.

This also means all your Dino's that sink under on their own die as well.

10 minutes ago, Grandta said:

Shouldn't be hard to give them different values to determine it from a player and keep it from dying, chances are if a Dino sinks then it's already dead ?

Yea you'd think. I'm just glad I don't play on official, so this kinda BS isn't really an issue. I wouldn't play on official if they actually payed me, everything about it is garbage, from the megas, to the pillaring, cheaters, down to the 4 week useless ticket generic responses.

Guest DJRone89
3 hours ago, Grandta said:

Is their not a death barrier under the map? I mean if undermeshing means what I think it means, going under the map then the only fix is adding a death barrier under the map.

Shouldn't be that hard to implement.

All of the boss arenas are under the map

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, prodigy1202 said:

So players engaging in PVP are now "griefers"? I'm surprised you didn't throw in the other silly labels "toxic" and "trolls". 

You might want to consider buying a large box of bubble wrap..

On 6/24/2018 at 3:59 AM, prodigy1202 said:

1. - TLC’s phase 3 through 5: While even a phase three as far as I understand is not confirmed, much less a 4 and 5, however I think that three more phases are necessary before there are no more truly useless animals in Ark.

2. - Structures+ features added into the base game.

3.- Sponsored Mods on Console

4.- Tons more bug fixes 

5.- Find a way to make PVP possible on the appropriate servers without allowing griefing.

6.- Fix undermapping and other problems on multiplayer servers.

7.- More maps and more dinos although I know i think that will all be reserved for the sequel.

8.- Vast improvement in both wild and tamed Dino AI.

1. Personally i couldn't care about dino tlc

2. Heck no. S+ has many problems alone and is extremely exploitable...

3. I doubt Console will get any mods unless they are added to the base game. This isn't steam.... alot more complications go when setting out updates on consoles...

4. This is happening slowly.

5. No.... pvp is pvp not some pve poop ok? Griefing should always be a thing on pvp...

6. Yes this needs to be done but the devs are banning many people for cheating.

7. No.... we don't need any more maps unless they are cannon like extinction thats coming.

8. To be honest i doubt this will happen as there isnt really a need for advanced AI... 

Guest DJRone89
54 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

So players engaging in PVP are now "griefers"? I'm surprised you didn't throw in the other silly labels "toxic" and "trolls". 

PvP is PvP.

Using shooter games as an example, my favourite type of play is to flank the enemy (which is a challenge in itself), with the end goal to continuously squad wipe them.

Ark is no different. People may not like the way you play but as there are no rules of engagement, toxic behaviour doesn’t actually exist and is only considered a term by people who feel obligated to play a certain way, labelling those who don’t follow their same moral code.

11 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I honestly have no idea how you got that idea from my post.... All I was saying is that in my opinion there needs to be a discussed difference between PVP and griefing so that PVP is still fun but without all of the things that hardly count as PvP.

11 hours ago, Goaty said:

1. Personally i couldn't care about dino tlc

2. Heck no. S+ has many problems alone and is extremely exploitable...

3. I doubt Console will get any mods unless they are added to the base game. This isn't steam.... alot more complications go when setting out updates on consoles...

4. This is happening slowly.

5. No.... pvp is pvp not some pve poop ok? Griefing should always be a thing on pvp...

6. Yes this needs to be done but the devs are banning many people for cheating.

7. No.... we don't need any more maps unless they are cannon like extinction thats coming.

8. To be honest i doubt this will happen as there isnt really a need for advanced AI... 

2. Are you behind on your Ark News? At some point S+ features are being added in. It’s been confirmed. Not all of the features, sure, but some of them. They’re doing this to improve Ark’s building system. Would you rather the building system stayed as is?

3. Primitive + is already on console so we know it’s possible to get sponsored mods on. While there has been no talk of other mods being added yet it is a possibility.

4. So are you not a fan of Ragnarok? I’ve only heard good things about it, though personally I play only on the Center thus far. This ones just a matter of opinion which I respect. Just sayin’

8. This one is just personal preference. I wish creatures acted more ‘alive,’ in the wild and wish it were possible to give more specific commands to tamed animals.

Archived