Console Cross-Play

Guest DJRone89

Guest DJRone89

Would it be right for one to assume cross-play won’t be available between the Nintendo Switch and other platforms because of how the way Xbox/Win10 are only compatible with one another because they run the same version?

Abstraction Games ports Ark over to the PS4 so if the Nintendo Switch version uses the same 3rd party, is cross-play a possibility between those two platforms?

• Administrator

I'm not sure PS4 will ever be Cross-Play compatible with any game. We tried back in the day and they said no. Also a few weeks ago there was a lot of publicity as Fortnite wanted Cross-Play with PS4 and they refused, Microsoft even joined up with Nintendo to release some marketing images basically making fun of PS4 for not allowing Cross-Play.

I hope Sony do eventually open up their system, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

18 hours ago, Chris said:

I'm not sure PS4 will ever be Cross-Play compatible with any game. We tried back in the day and they said no. Also a few weeks ago there was a lot of publicity as Fortnite wanted Cross-Play with PS4 and they refused, Microsoft even joined up with Nintendo to release some marketing images basically making fun of PS4 for not allowing Cross-Play.

I hope Sony do eventually open up their system, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

DC Universe Online is PC/PS4 crossplay. It's just Sony being dweebs as per usual.

Edit.. actually, MS is the oddball there.. as PC/PS3/PS4 can play together, but Xbox are on their own servers.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, DCUOperv said:

DC Universe Online is PC/PS4 crossplay. It's just Sony being dweebs as per usual.

Edit.. actually, MS is the oddball there.. as PC/PS3/PS4 can play together, but Xbox are on their own servers.

Taken from the announcement: "A few weeks ago, Daybreak Games (previously known as Sony Online Entertainment) announced that DC Universe Online would soon feature CrossPlay between PC, PlayStation 4".

I guess that explains it.

11 hours ago, Chris said:

Taken from the announcement: "A few weeks ago, Daybreak Games (previously known as Sony Online Entertainment) announced that DC Universe Online would soon feature CrossPlay between PC, PlayStation 4".

I guess that explains it.

Kinda. The previously known is a lil confusing. Columbus Nova bought Sony Online Entertainment, renamed to Daybreak & cut ties with Sony so they could develop for other platforms, quite a time before x-play came in. Took about a year after that sale for the cross-play to come in.

Whether there was still buddy buddy there or not.. who knows.  ehehe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/7/2018 at 2:24 PM, Chris said:

So can people on switch and Xbox join the same unofficial servers?

1 hour ago, Sherlock1988 said:

So can people on switch and Xbox join the same unofficial servers?

I'm also looking for an answer to this question.  Any info available? 

I have purchased ark 3 times already and the Switch will be my fourth purchase but it needs to be cross play with xbox/windows 10 store edition. 

It better be multi-player. Just look at the description on amazon for ark. If this is just the generic discription for the other versions this will be the source of a lot of returns.

Ark

Prepare for the ultimate dinosaur-themed adventure - now you can take your tribe anywhere, at home or on the go! Stranded on a mysterious prehistoric island, you must explore its vast biomes as you begin to hunt, harvest, craft tools, grow crops and build shelters to survive. Use cunning and skill to kill, tame, breed, and even ride dinosaurs and other primitive beasts living on "The ARK." Advance your technology from primitive stone tools to T-Rex-mounted laser cannons, as you group up with thousands of players online or enjoy a solo Jurassic experience.

In my opinion I think that Cross-Play could be good and bad, In one hand it'll make the community more accessible, I could see myself playing with my friends on my Switch (if I owned one) while they play on whatever it'd be cross-playable on, however the disadvantage is that fact that the Switch might have is lag its not easy to have such a detailed game on Switch like ARK, it'd have to have a high-processing power (I know the Switch is pretty powerful in terms of graphical power) but the Switch is gonna have to load miles of data if your on top of a mountain. But a positive side of cross-play is the fact that it'll help more people come together and enjoy what game they're playing, even if that bonding is killing someone's tames and destroying their base.

• 7 months later...

Archived