So, what do you think is next for ARK?

SneakyMcGee

On 6/21/2018 at 12:21 PM, Akherousia said:

As far as I understand, Ark 2 is pretty much confirmed. I suppose they announced they were working on it a while ago, and it seems pretty set in stone. Though I haven't looked into it myself so maybe my sources are wrong, but it seems legit at this point.

Unfortunately, it looks like Ark has no interest in returning to its roots and will continue to be going forward with the whole Tek/Futuristic angle so I'd expect more machines, more technology, more Tek creatures, and simply more fantasy.

Ideally, I honestly wish they'd just come up with a few new maps for us and introduce some new legitimate dinosaurs for those of us who aren't as enthused by the whole tek thing. I'm not saying that adding these mechanics and concepts is necessarily a bad thing, but it's isolating those of us who came for the dinosaur survival game and it would be nice to get a little love on that front. I'd love for some more radical 'one biome' maps like Scorched Earth to be introduced in the base game, with some new dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures to fit the theme.

But honestly, it's just going to be more space, aliens, and technology.

For the record: this is absolutely 100% false. The devs are actually confirmed NOT to be working on Ark 2 (at least not yet), and that’s the way it should be.

Think about how much work Ark 1 still needs. Yes optimization beyond what they’ve done is incredibly difficult without severe limits to gameplay or a new engine, but Judging from the Upcoming Features page on the wiki and common knowledge across the Ark community we’re still in for:

I’d estimate three more TLC phases

More content

Bringing sponsored mods to consoles (and this is FAR off)

Structures+ features added to the base game

Fixing cheating, hacking and griefing on multiplayer servers, or at least reducing it.

Primal Survival (it has to come out at some point or else they’re liable to be sued)

Tons more bug fixes 

When it’s all said and done I’d estimate that Ark 1 still has three more years left in its run of development at least (but that’s if they don’t start working on Ark 2 and dedicating resources to it way tf too early like they did with Scorched Earth, which would extend the time immensely).

4 hours ago, prodigy1202 said:

For the record: this is absolutely 100% false. The devs are actually confirmed NOT to be working on Ark 2 (at least not yet), and that’s the way it should be.

Think about how much work Ark 1 still needs. Yes optimization beyond what they’ve done is incredibly difficult without severe limits to gameplay or a new engine, but Judging from the Upcoming Features page on the wiki and common knowledge across the Ark community we’re still in for:

I’d estimate three more TLC phases

More content

Bringing sponsored mods to consoles (and this is FAR off)

Structures+ features added to the base game

Fixing cheating, hacking and griefing on multiplayer servers, or at least reducing it.

Primal Survival (it has to come out at some point or else they’re liable to be sued)

Tons more bug fixes 

When it’s all said and done I’d estimate that Ark 1 still has three more years left in its run of development at least (but that’s if they don’t start working on Ark 2 and dedicating resources to it way tf too early like they did with Scorched Earth, which would extend the time immensely).

I do hope you are right, I think Unreal 4 still has plenty of untapped potential with ARK. I mean just imagine a Ragnarok-esque map of pure wilderness that is three times the size! You could have people running trading caravans across vast deserts and dangerous, mazelike jungles. The possibility is endless, and they can't say "We'd like to, but we don't have the staff" because there are bloody hundreds of talented mapmakers out there, some of which they've already hired. :D

Archived