So, what do you think is next for ARK?

SneakyMcGee

With the recent announcement of Extinction via a livestream trailer, I eagerly look forward to sinking time into it, but I wonder...

Whats next for ARK? Past Extinction, I don't believe the community know anything yet, perhaps it will be revealed post Extinction or sooner. But in the meantime, its always fun to have a brainstorm. So, I ask you, what do you think or hope is coming to the game next? Personally, I'm hoping for more maps in the vein of Ragnarok - large open wilderness maps to explore, without all of the Tek aesthetic. 

Let me know, let's start a discussion!

-SneakyMcGee 

As far as I understand, Ark 2 is pretty much confirmed. I suppose they announced they were working on it a while ago, and it seems pretty set in stone. Though I haven't looked into it myself so maybe my sources are wrong, but it seems legit at this point.

Unfortunately, it looks like Ark has no interest in returning to its roots and will continue to be going forward with the whole Tek/Futuristic angle so I'd expect more machines, more technology, more Tek creatures, and simply more fantasy.

Ideally, I honestly wish they'd just come up with a few new maps for us and introduce some new legitimate dinosaurs for those of us who aren't as enthused by the whole tek thing. I'm not saying that adding these mechanics and concepts is necessarily a bad thing, but it's isolating those of us who came for the dinosaur survival game and it would be nice to get a little love on that front. I'd love for some more radical 'one biome' maps like Scorched Earth to be introduced in the base game, with some new dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures to fit the theme.

But honestly, it's just going to be more space, aliens, and technology.

7 minutes ago, Akherousia said:

As far as I understand, Ark 2 is pretty much confirmed. I suppose they announced they were working on it a while ago, and it seems pretty set in stone. Though I haven't looked into it myself so maybe my sources are wrong, but it seems legit at this point.

Unfortunately, it looks like Ark has no interest in returning to its roots and will continue to be going forward with the whole Tek/Futuristic angle so I'd expect more machines, more technology, more Tek creatures, and simply more fantasy.

Ideally, I honestly wish they'd just come up with a few new maps for us and introduce some new legitimate dinosaurs for those of us who aren't as enthused by the whole tek thing. I'm not saying that adding these mechanics and concepts is necessarily a bad thing, but it's isolating those of us who came for the dinosaur survival game and it would be nice to get a little love on that front. I'd love for some more radical 'one biome' maps like Scorched Earth to be introduced in the base game, with some new dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures to fit the theme.

But honestly, it's just going to be more space, aliens, and technology.

Yehay.. i hope the same. I don't like the TEK and future things. I bought the game because of the dinos, beaches, woods, jungles, caves, crafting .

I stoped my server and playing since i know prim+ has no updates :/. 1354 hour's of fun, six friends bought the game because i told them to play :D                                                             .... so it's a good time to stop playing.

One trip with Ark is good enough for me, at least based on my current experience. Nearly 2000 hours play time is pretty good for any game. I loved it, but I am so not grinding another adventure from zero, so no, no Ark 2 for me. I will however keep playing as long as they build on the current Ark as I already have the infrastructure in place.

I may take a look into a sequel if I could somehow import my stuff from the current Ark into the new one (at least from a private server to another), having access to 100% of the current creatures and tools, then I could begin to consider another version of it. I just don´t want to lose all my hours, nor leave the stuff I come to enjoy behind.

Also, over time I found my place, I dropped occasionally in PVP, but it was on PVE that the game really took form to me, private server of course - with friends. I only wish there were human NPCs to populate and help around the place, like on another game that has this already and it makes bases so lively and efficient for it.

With that said, should an Ark 2 be released, then I hope it is everything you guys/gals hope to be, and be lot of fun. I will be here, enjoying the posts and comments you share, but one Ark Early Access is more than enough for me.

As for an other season of expansion after Extinction, I would definitely be up for it, but I have no clue what to ask for as I know very little (like everyone else) about Extinction itself. The tamable Titans are certainly a plus, I really look forward to them, while the trailer did not hint at any form of narrative or NPCs, I hope these made the cut this time, if not that would certainly be my ask for any following expansion/add-on. 

Cheers!

I’m pretty sure that ark 2 isn’t actually a thing, and Jeremy just mentioned in an interview he was open to the idea.

I expect after Extinction we’ll get seasonal events, maybe a new creature/items/skins every now and then, and more focus on big TLC patches, official mods/official mod maps, bugfixing, and MAYBE getting stuff like Primal Survival, SOTF, new game modes, etc.

We almost certainly won’t get ALL this stuff, but I expect this will be what is within the realm of possibility.

Guest DJRone89
1 minute ago, Jtmorris said:

Imagine if WC had not released SE until after they fixed all the bugs ??

The alternative would never have happened

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, CyanicEmber said:

Personally, I think Wildcard will move on to a totally new IP. But we'll see.

I’d have to see the conclusion of Extinction first before making that prediction, however I can see that as a possibility.

59 minutes ago, SneakyMcGee said:

Lots of responses here, personally I do hope they don't move on a sequel, I don't think they'd risk losing the massive playerbase, especially with all the bad light they've gotten recently over optimisation, but that is simply my humble opinion.

More jungles!

Please?

They kinda HAVE TO move on a sequel or a different game to make profit. With B2P model, especially when company also runs "official" server cluster service (costs tons of money) for free, there is hardly any story left after Extinction, so possibilities for new DLCs are limited.

32 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

They kinda HAVE TO move on a sequel or a different game to make profit. B2P model, especially when company also runs "official" server cluster service (costs tons of money) for free. There is hardly any story left after Extinction, so possibilities for new DLCs are limited.

This. Wildcard is a business ultimately in the end. They have turned their early access game into a product that they deem acceptable to sell for $60, albeit with some deserved speculation. May see bug fixes and possibly QoL changes but as far as content past this DLC, I wouldn’t count on it being anything substantial. Ark 2 will be the next step. Need fresh revenue to sustain itself. 

6 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

They kinda HAVE TO move on a sequel or a different game to make profit. With B2P model, especially when company also runs "official" server cluster service (costs tons of money) for free, there is hardly any story left after Extinction, so possibilities for new DLCs are limited.

That is true. If that does turn out to be the case, I hope they can somewhat return to the games more primitive roots; I just feel that the game is at its best around level 25 - 30. Wooden structures and bows/crossbows are showing up, the first inkling of more advanced technologies but nothing more and perhaps a couple of Triceratops and Raptors make up your small dinosaur force. 

Well, that is simply my opinion. Who knows where it'll go, for all we know at this point, the story could flip on its head after extinction and extended the lifespan of ARK, while I doubt it, I feel its important to keep ourselves open to all possibilities.

Archived