NOOB questions ~ [Xboxone]

F1nchyStryd3r

I've been playing ark since day 1 of it's release in game preview. Played all maps, tamed every dino etc. I usually play with my son on split-screen. A friend of his has just bought Ark and wanted to join our game.... so here's the thing....

I set up a non-dedicate server and all 3 of us have been on this world. So a couple of questions as I've never set up ND server.

1. Can other players join my world even without being invited?

2. If so are they tethered to me (the host)?

3. How can I tell if someone has joined the world?

4. Can they still join if I (the host) is offline?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest DJRone89
18 minutes ago, F1nchyStryd3r said:

I've been playing ark since day 1 of it's release in game preview. Played all maps, tamed every dine etc. I usually play with my son on split-screen. A friend of his has just bought Ark and wanted to join our game.... so here's the thing....

I set up a non-dedicate server and all 3 of us have been on this world. So a couple of questions as I've never set up ND server.

1. Can other players join my world even without being invited?

2. If so are they tethered to me (the host)?

3. How can I tell if someone has joined the world?

4. Can they still join if I (the host) is offline?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1. Annoyingly yes.

2. Tethered.

3. A screen prompt will appear at the top of the screen. Press start and press LB+RB+X+Y, then enter in the command box; showmyadminmanager. You can select randomers and kick them to tackle point 1.

4. The session is only active while the host is on.

Just now, DJRone89 said:

1. Annoyingly yes.

2. Tethered.

3. A screen prompt will appear at the top of the screen. Press start and press LB+RB+X+Y, then enter in the command box; showmyadminmanager. You can select randomers and kick them to tackle point 1.

4. The session is only active while the host is on.

Thanks mate, appreciated, can I make it so no-one can join or can't you?

Guest DJRone89
1 minute ago, F1nchyStryd3r said:

Thanks mate, appreciated, can I make it so no-one can join or can't you?

Yes but the function seems to be broken, because it can also prevent people you want from joining the session.

My advise would be to enable a friends-only online status for each of you, which can be found in the online privacy section on the Xbox settings under the custom section.

It won’t stop people from finding your session in the list but will prevent people from joining through each of your Xbox profiles. Basically, with a friends-only online status, only people you follow back can see you online, to every one else, you appear offline.

Just now, DJRone89 said:

Yes but the function seems to be broken, because it can also prevent people you want from joining the session.

My advise would be to enable a friends-only online status for each of you, which can be found in the online privacy section on the Xbox settings under the custom section.

It won’t stop people from finding your session in the list but will prevent people from joining through each of your Xbox profiles. Basically, with a friends-only online status, only people you follow back can see you online, to every one else, you appear offline.

Once again, thanks, I appreciate your help :)

Guest DJRone89
1 minute ago, F1nchyStryd3r said:

Once again, thanks, I appreciate your help :)

No problem. I’d suggest enabling singleplayer settings if you haven’t already, due to the session only being active while you are on, unlike a persistent world you’d find on official/player dedicated.

Archived