ARK Extinction Trailer Discussion

Gideon2099

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/19/2018 at 4:29 PM, Adwel said:

Tbh, that was the most underwhelming trailer ive seen from Ark.

Dont believe me?  Go remind yourself via watching Scorched earth trailer on youtube.  Hell, even abberration had a better trailer tease.

This was just kinda...nothin.  Oh and then a big boss beast...that we will never tame.

Woot?

This is a teaser. They still have 5 months of work to do. They may still be tweaking major content before showing it off. There will be bigger trailers that show more of the new content in the future, which is probably why you found it less exciting. 

Nobody knew scorched earth was coming. The Scorched trailer released and the game released at the same time. It showed off ALL the new content so of course it was super exhilerating. The "GET IT NOW" at the end was mind blowing exciting. you cannot really compare the two. 

So I just wanted to make a thread a for discussion on theories and predictions concerning the upcoming Extinction dlc. If people are interested in this kinda stuff than I’ll post a couple of my own theories, if not then this thread can just sink to the bottom of the lake. Oh and please no complaining about the devs and hostile stuff like that, I would not like this thread to be shut down by the mods or something.

23 hours ago, Vaculity said:

First Bold: Check the trailer again. There are flying creatures present inside That possibly means we will have flying dino/creature. This can be concreted with the fact GasBags 'can fly' through ballooning.

Second Bold: Balloon crates are at the mercy of other survivors. If it gets shot by them, it would practically mean your loots lost. For Good.

Your first point, I agree with (but still have some points I’ll point out) Those creatures COULD be Petra’s or other flyers, but I’m pretty sure they’re dimorphs (they’ve got tails, or at least the ones in the first scene do) But who knows. I couldn’t care less about whether they have flyers or not, to be quite honest.

However, the gasbag doesn’t really prove we’ll get true flyers, as the description sounds more like it can float, but not actually FLY. It supposedly inflates, takes off, and moves around by expelling the air from wherever it keeps said air. It seems to me it won’t actually sustain flight in a traditional sense (via flapping wings) and rather just keeps floating so long as it has air. Essentially, it’ll be like how the Rock Drake could glide, but wasn’t actually a flyer.

And for the item balloons, I think that’s exactly the point; they’re super useful to transport resources/items for whatever reason, but there’s no stopping anyone from shooting them down and stealing your stuff, unless you have an armed convoy guarding them, though that defeats the entire point of making one. 

For the aforementioned caravans/nomad tribes, I could see them being used over short distances to cart resources from a mining operation to a temporary encampment hidden in the woods, especially when pack mules couldn’t be used/aren’t viable (such as when your first pack mike can’t carry all the stuff you’ve collected, or during an element raid when there are loads of corrupted creatures about) 

For large tribes, they’d probably be used less, because you’ll have plenty of high-level gasbags who can get the job done, and you can get emergency supplies to someone via a mount rather than the slow item balloon. The  farther your target the higher the risk, and that way they remain balanced. I imagine they’ll also have a weight/slot limit too, so they can’t carry all the materials needed to build a small base.

19 hours ago, DinoDash said:

So I just wanted to make a thread a for discussion on theories and predictions concerning the upcoming Extinction dlc. If people are interested in this kinda stuff than I’ll post a couple of my own theories, if not then this thread can just sink to the bottom of the lake. Oh and please no complaining about the devs and hostile stuff like that, I would not like this thread to be shut down by the mods or something.

Well it appears my thread got merged, definitely not what I wanted, but it is better than being shut down I guess?

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is the right place, But there's no Extinction sub-forums yet, so this is my best guess

Alright, I got bored, No one's really done a proper analysis yet, figured I would give it a shot.

Alright, The first thing we see in the trailer is a holographic globe flickering between a "normal" earth and the brown dead earth. but about that "dead" earth. Due to the fact that we see it despite how the city we're in seems to be very healthy, I believe that this city is one of the last, if not the last refuges for Life on earth. I'll get into another reason I think this is in a bit. But if this is the case, then that could mean that rather then having a world barrier like on other ARKS, we could have a world barrier like subnautica's. And For those who've never played/seen subnautica, Basically the game map takes place in a 2 kilometer by 2 kilometer volcanic crater, and if you try to leave that crater you enter an "ecological dead zone". There is literally nothing in this zone except powerful "Ghost Leviathans" which will attack you until you return to the crater. As for Extinction, I believe this could be replicated by having procedurally generated "wastelands" outside of the map. These would be nothing but corrupted element, sand, and bones. Along with Extremely powerful, if not completely invulnerable titans that will shred anything that enters this zone into bits, And then immediately delete the wasteland chunks that were created to save space. Or there can just be a barrier after a good amount of this Wasteland, so the player's chance of encountering it is very, very low.

Anyways, moving on, We have a shot of the character moving along a Terrance which has become overgrown with plant life, much like the rest of the city that we can see. In the background, we can see a blue obelisk with a force field around it with a lot of snow. Initially, it looks like this force field is creating and likely maintaining the low temperatures needed for this biome, but on close inspection we can see that the mountains seem to be behind the force field and extend past the forcefield's range, meaning that it likely has a purpose that we have yet to discover.

Next, we see Rexy turn a corner to a Giga and an "enforcer", which we know thanks to the PC gamer article is basically a Rock Drake, but teleports instead of glides. Oh, And it's a robot, that to. Something I can't understand however is the size of the Giga. It can't be more than a stone's throw away, yet it seems to be a mere head above the Rex. Yeah, this confuses me, but other than that the only notable things in this shot are the fact that A. A Giga got up here somehow, and B. The enforcer, despite the fact that it's likely a hyper-advanced AI, thinks it's a good idea to take this thing on.

Next, we have a shot from the perspective of a Scout, which was also discussed in the PC Gamer article. This scene is actually Very important for ARK's story, As not only do we have a shot of the "corrupted element" that Ravaged the earth, when the Scout's reticle passed over the Spire, a prompt showed up with a double helix of DNA, meaning that this advanced metal that Ravaged the planet is... Alive. Or at the very least it has some Biological components. This makes sense, as We know from Aberration that Element in its Raw form interacts... interestingly with Biological life. After all, a small dose of it mixed with blood was able to turn Sir Edmund Rockwell, An Insane Victorian Scientist, into a 100-meter tall Lovecraftian monster. This is some really potent stuff. Moving on, The character pulls a pair of Tek binoculars of their face, which we know is what allows you to see through the Scout's eyes thanks to the PC Gamer article, And we get a good shot of the landscape. It's largely barren, save for some plant life and a Titanic Ribcage, probably a Titans. However, Something of interest is that the majority of the Plantlife is Red Rather than green. Which as anyone who's taken a science course will know is the Result of Chlorophyll, Which is the green pigment that allows plants to convert sunlight and water into energy. And of course being as they're within a few dozen meters of the Corrupted element, we can deduce how this change came about.

And Finally, we get to the money shot. The first things we notice are that the player is very close to the blue obelisk and inside the force field, and again, we can see that the mountains are behind said force field. Next, we notice that the character's GPS is on the fritz, with the compass spinning wildly and the coordinates not being able to settle on a number. Then, of course, we hear the thumping and Zuul the Titan shows up and roars in our face. Now there are definitely a few things to analyze in this scene here. First off, The game states that the GPS works by triangulating your position using the energy the Obilisks emit. And on Zuul we can see what appears to be corrupted element on his chest, meaning that This Titan is emitting MASSIVE amounts of the obilesk energy. Next, We see a flock of Actual Birds, Not Dimorphs, the tails are too broad and they have beaks. Not ichthyornis (thankfully), The necks are too stubby and the tails to thin, These are a new species of Birds not encountered on the ARKs. And for the Final moments of this shot, Zuul Roars at us in an extremely menacing way. However, In addition to what appears to be Snowflakes or Dandruff (wouldn't surprise me with that thick fur), we can also see flecks of red which appear to be Embers. Which mean that not only is this bloke Spiky, Element fueled, And large enough to swallow a rex whole, He can probably breathe Fire... Fu**.

And in the final scene, we get a panning shot of the Extinction Logo. this time it appears to be made of whatever metal makes up the cities with the corrupted element creeping up it, along with the glowing diamond that has made several appearances before. But more importantly, we see vast expanses of Wasteland with the city being an oasis. This goes back to the thing I said about the city being one of the last refuges for life, and I think you can see why.

Now before I finish up, There's one more thing I want to discuss. The Music. As any gamer can tell you, Sound design and aesthetic can be just as important as gameplay and Art style. For example, In Skyrim's Dragonborn Expansion, the Trip through Apocrypha is eerie silent, with only the sound of your footsteps and the Daedric denizens breaking the stillness. But when you finally reach the Top of Miraak's tower and initiate the fight with him, The Song of The Dragonborn Starts playing and instantly makes the fight dozens of more times intense and Epic. An excellent example of good sound design.

Of course, ARK is no different, And throughout the Trailers and DLCs, has used music as a way of storytelling. First, we, of course, have the main theme. This song relies heavily on Sting instruments and Chorus With a touch of Drum. This one isn't used for storytelling as much, Nor is the Chorus relevant, But this is the basis for the DLC's theme songs.

Next, we have scorched Earth. In this song, The String Instruments and Drums are mirrored. With the Drums making up a bulk of the sound and Strings making up a touch, though gradually growing to Overpower the drums. This is a reflection of How SE is both the Opposite of the island, yet the same. One's a dry desert, one a lush tropical island with an artic, but They're both still ARKs.

Next, we have Aberration. This song is equal parts Electronic and String instrument, With a very different tone than the Island's theme. This reflects how in Aberration we see many more signs of the Technology used to build the space station, Along with the themes of corruption.

and Finally, we get to Extinction, which is relatively lacking in the music department. What we do have is subtle with a lot more piano, and it flat out stops after about 30 seconds until the logo where it resumes. While I'm not sure what this represents, simply due to the fact that we know next to nothing about Aberration, It is important to note that there are a lot more nature noises such as Crickets and wind in the song. Meaning that we're probably going to be getting an environmental message, though I could be wrong.

So yeah, That's my analysis of the Extinction trailer. If you can manage to get through that wall of text (be honest, if you're on here, you have nothing better to do(except look at memes)). And tell me if I missed anything, I'd be more than happy to correct myself in the future.

TL;DR there's too much for a TL;DR.

Nice breakdown, I noticed the dna strand too when the drone was analyzing the corrupted element. I was wondering if it could actually be Rockwell himself? We know he controlled and corrupted the entire ark that is now aberration, what if he managed to escape those confines and try and gain control of the entire planet?

23 minutes ago, DinoDash said:

Nice breakdown, I noticed the dna strand too when the drone was analyzing the corrupted element. I was wondering if it could actually be Rockwell himself? We know he controlled and corrupted the entire ark that is now aberration, what if he managed to escape those confines and try and gain control of the entire planet?

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, the Ark corrupted him and forced him to replace the Overseer that was blown to smithereens by Diana & Co.

14 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

[redacted] 

And Finally, we get to the money shot. The first things we notice are that the player is very close to the blue obelisk and inside the force field, and again, we can see that the mountains are behind said force field. Next, we notice that the character's GPS is on the fritz, with the compass spinning wildly and the coordinates not being able to settle on a number. Then, of course, we hear the thumping and Zuul the Titan shows up and roars in our face. Now there are definitely a few things to analyze in this scene here. First off, The game states that the GPS works by triangulating your position using the energy the Obilisks emit. And on Zuul we can see what appears to be corrupted element on his chest, meaning that This Titan is emitting MASSIVE amounts of the obilesk energy. Next, We see a flock of Actual Birds, Not Dimorphs, the tails are too broad and they have beaks. Not ichthyornis (thankfully), The necks are too stubby and the tails to thin, These are a new species of Birds not encountered on the ARKs. And for the Final moments of this shot, Zuul Roars at us in an extremely menacing way. However, In addition to what appears to be Snowflakes or Dandruff (wouldn't surprise me with that thick fur), we can also see flecks of red which appear to be Embers. Which mean that not only is this bloke Spiky, Element fueled, And large enough to swallow a rex whole, He can probably breathe Fire... Fu**.

And in the final scene, we get a panning shot of the Extinction Logo. this time it appears to be made of whatever metal makes up the cities with the corrupted element creeping up it, along with the glowing diamond that has made several appearances before. But more importantly, we see vast expanses of Wasteland with the city being an oasis. This goes back to the thing I said about the city being one of the last refuges for life, and I think you can see why.

Now before I finish up, There's one more thing I want to discuss. The Music. As any gamer can tell you, Sound design and aesthetic can be just as important as gameplay and Art style. For example, In Skyrim's Dragonborn Expansion, the Trip through Apocrypha is eerie silent, with only the sound of your footsteps and the Daedric denizens breaking the stillness. But when you finally reach the Top of Miraak's tower and initiate the fight with him, The Song of The Dragonborn Starts playing and instantly makes the fight dozens of more times intense and Epic. An excellent example of good sound design.

Of course, ARK is no different, And throughout the Trailers and DLCs, has used music as a way of storytelling. First, we, of course, have the main theme. This song relies heavily on Sting instruments and Chorus With a touch of Drum. This one isn't used for storytelling as much, Nor is the Chorus relevant, But this is the basis for the DLC's theme songs.

Next, we have scorched Earth. In this song, The String Instruments and Drums are mirrored. With the Drums making up a bulk of the sound and Strings making up a touch, though gradually growing to Overpower the drums. This is a reflection of How SE is both the Opposite of the island, yet the same. One's a dry desert, one a lush tropical island with an artic, but They're both still ARKs.

Next, we have Aberration. This song is equal parts Electronic and String instrument, With a very different tone than the Island's theme. This reflects how in Aberration we see many more signs of the Technology used to build the space station, Along with the themes of corruption.

and Finally, we get to Extinction, which is relatively lacking in the music department. What we do have is subtle with a lot more piano, and it flat out stops after about 30 seconds until the logo where it resumes. While I'm not sure what this represents, simply due to the fact that we know next to nothing about Aberration, It is important to note that there are a lot more nature noises such as Crickets and wind in the song. Meaning that we're probably going to be getting an environmental message, though I could be wrong.

So yeah, That's my analysis of the Extinction trailer. If you can manage to get through that wall of text (be honest, if you're on here, you have nothing better to do(except look at memes)). And tell me if I missed anything, I'd be more than happy to correct myself in the future.

TL;DR there's too much for a TL;DR.

First of all, very impressive analysis, hats off to you.

However I think that the cooking pot in the Titan scene was neglected in your analysis as it could be how we "lure" it out.

As for the lack of music in most part of the video, that made it much less "epic" than the other two trailers could be explained by the fact that's not a trailer but a teaser, as confirmed by one of the devs.

9 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, the Ark corrupted him and forced him to replace the Overseer that was blown to smithereens by Diana & Co.

Hmm.. never thought of it like that. Although he still seems to be quite in control of himself so I’d say my theory still stands either way.

6 minutes ago, DinoDash said:

I’ll reread the notes to see if I can come to a better understanding.

"It whispers to me of something greater, a plane ever higher than the one I walk now. We can reach it, the two of us. The ARK and I. Together." - Rockwell Record #29 (Aberration)

The Ark made him cut off all social interaction (humans are not worthy to speak to them) and made him listen only to him. Pretty obvious manipulation... 

8 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

"It whispers to me of something greater, a plane ever higher than the one I walk now. We can reach it, the two of us. The ARK and I. Together." - Rockwell Record #29 (Aberration)

The Ark made him cut off all social interaction (humans are not worthy to speak to them) and made him listen only to him. Pretty obvious manipulation... 

Yes, but I was about to quote that very passage to support my theory. “A plane even higher than the one I walk now” sounds a lot like he wants to conquer an even larger realm, perhaps an entire planet would suffice?

Archived