ARK Extinction Trailer Discussion

Gideon2099

Guest chancho33015

Well, the trailer for Extinction is finally here. It is clear that they took a different path from the previews DLC. Looks like building will not be that maps biggest thing instead it looks like it will be focus on surviving and killing what ever roams on the land to get to the end. Dont know if anyone noticed how nothing was "build" around by players on the Trailer. Which begs 2 questions. One, are there no structures build-able on that map OR will there be a next Tier of building that looks more "NATURAL" like its surroundings. One thing is for sure, Tek will be a major factor on this new DLC. So it will be imperative for players to kill all bosses on the previews maps to do well on the new DLC. 

Looks like we will also have new machines like hoover vehicles and new tools such as an advance version of the "spyglass" which is a great thing. Also, FINALLY an inland moster that is capable of eating a giga...sometimes the safety of maps make for a stale experience as nothing ever really happens in map. Which is a great addition to the game. 

My last thoughts on this are:

1. New Dlc Extinction looks like a totally different experience. Which is a a good thing!

2. Heavily Tek influenced...which will make tek armor a primary thing to have now.

3. Finally ark will have advance vehicles which we can drive.

4. Map feels like a survival map for once. 

5. A new different experience on the horizon gives ark a nice twist on other maps.

Hope they pull this off well. They have a few more months so i hope the focus on bugs, map glitches, and also to focus on tool importance to survive as Ark has been a bit of a let down when it comes to the utility of tools as a major part of the game.

What did you guys think? :) 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m honestly putting more trust in WC this time when it comes to a release date. Last time, with aberration they said it’s release would be in October (around a month) and gave no exact date. Due to the release being so soon after the reveal a delay was inevitable.

This time around, we’ve got 5 months, which is plenty of time to work out the kinks without the pressure of already being delayed, and they’ve got an exact date this time (not just “holiday 2018” or “November 2018”) so they’re evidently more sure about it. In addition a full year of development probably means it’ll be more polished to start. NOT bug free mind you (seriously, this IS WC we’re talking about) but less buggy than aberration was.

But knowing WC, they’ll have technical difficulties when pushing the patch out, so it’ll probably be closer to November 7-8 when the majority of people can actually download/play it.

I think it's not a hovering vehicle, but a drone. In the video we see it's pov, investigating these strange purpleish plants (?) and when the character takes his "visor"(?) down it returns.

That charging tek creature looks really cool.

I like what I've seen of the environment so far, curious if it's possible to simply walk through the forcefields, if the field is there to keep something locked inside or to keep things out.

Also curious about what seems to be a meteor falling down.

2 hours ago, ProjectVi said:

Why are u doing such a huge thing arround a DLC that still takes half a year to be released?? u pretty much dont give us new fresh content for a big big time now...id say since aberration...why delaing the release when u said it would be on spring 2018? wildcard being wildcard....

BTW:::: PLSSSSSSS remake kibble system

We got the TLC that added new models and abilities. And 3 new dinos as skins. To be honest, I'd better have more TLCs and skins for actual creatures than new imaginary scifi creatures but that's only my opinion :)

21 minutes ago, Adwel said:

Tbh, that was the most underwhelming trailer ive seen from Ark.

Dont believe me?  Go remind yourself via watching Scorched earth trailer on youtube.  Hell, even abberration had a better trailer tease.

This was just kinda...nothin.  Oh and then a big boss beast...that we will never tame.

Woot?

Read the PCgamer article.    We totally do tame them.     The trailer was a teaser, I'm sure we'll have more and longer.    It already revealed the Enforcer, the Drone, and the Titan.    And that we're going to have at a minimum some regular dinos (saw a rex and giga).

Just now, BookofBlade said:

Im curious if they are going to have something restricting flyers again. In the PC Gamer article they talk about using Abberation movement mechanics and adding a dino and a item transport that can float these seem like odd choices if you can just bring your quetz or wyvern over and just fly

Most likely it will be like Scorched Earth and Aberration : No dino and item transfer at first. 

I could understand if there were no flyers permitted and we had to use more ground caravan based stuff. With the cryo-cubes that allow you to carry dinos around in item form (no feeding either) it’ll be a lot easier to bring your large ground dinos from point A to point B. If Gasbags have a high enough base carrying stat, and potentially have a platform saddle (even a small one) I could see completely nomadic tribes being a viable option when building a gigantic megabase isn’t an option. This combined with the balloon crates would make it practically effortless to live a life on the ground without flying mounts. 

Here’s a wild theory, extinction is only single player. What if you actually play as one of the explorer note characters, probably either Helena or mei-yin. The evidence of this is first off, there are no other players seen in the trailer except the POV character, which appears to be female based on their hands. You also see the same orange-ish rex throughout the trailer and promotional art, it even appears to already be there when the player spawns, suggesting that it is significant, possibly because it belongs to Helena or Mei-yin and they brought it with them when they teleported to earth. I know the pc gamer article talked about multiplayer features, but that could just be assumptions, or a red herring thrown in by the devs, besides this is just a crazy theory.

54 minutes ago, DinoDash said:

Here’s a wild theory, extinction is only single player. What if you actually play as one of the explorer note characters, probably either Helena or mei-yin. The evidence of this is first off, there are no other players seen in the trailer except the POV character, which appears to be female based on their hands. You also see the same orange-ish rex throughout the trailer and promotional art, it even appears to already be there when the player spawns, suggesting that it is significant, possibly because it belongs to Helena or Mei-yin and they brought it with them when they teleported to earth. I know the pc gamer article talked about multiplayer features, but that could just be assumptions, or a red herring thrown in by the devs, besides this is just a crazy theory.

The blue streaks at the beginning are players flying with tek suit... 

It's just the transfer spawn animation...

Can't you have a favorite dino that you ride around for everything? Geez, there is no more love in the world or what? And if you read the notes, none of them have any living rex. (All mei yin's died). 

14 minutes ago, Jtmorris said:

I believe the blue streak is a drone

yup, my bad... 

But I just noticed... Cooking pot=summon Titan? 

With the pot near the obelisk of the desired Titan with the mats being "dungeon" mats? 

Then the shield encloses both of you and either you kill/tame it, or the Obelisk emits a killing pulse after a set time that makes the Titan flee, but kills you and your tames. 

5 hours ago, d1nk said:

This might be an unpopular opinion but does anyone else not like the direction the game has went in terms of style? I mean, primitive man type (island, center, rag) to the futureistic alien type style of ab and now Earth? 

Ill play it for sure, part of me wonders how our current materials will look on earth.. i hope tek is like metal there, the main building material. Itd be silly if were making thatch wood and stone houses on a futuristic planet

Nah thats kinda how I feel too. Im not saying the extreme sci fi wont be fun. But the whole reason I bought Ark was for the dinosaurs, the more 'survive amongst nature' aspect. Seems we're slowly going away from that. But hoping for the future they cultivate it abit more.

26 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

The blue streaks at the beginning are players flying with tek suit... 

It's just the transfer spawn animation...

Can't you have a favorite dino that you ride around for everything? Geez, there is no more love in the world or what? And if you read the notes, none of them have any living rex. (All mei yin's died). 

About the rex, that’s what I’m saying the rex is significant to the player, you see the same rex throughout so it must be the same player as well. No other trailer has concentrated specifically on one player before, they always had a generic POV, where as this one seems to follow just one character, suggesting that this character is important some how.

12 minutes ago, DinoDash said:

About the rex, that’s what I’m saying the rex is significant to the player, you see the same rex throughout so it must be the same player as well. No other trailer has concentrated specifically on one player before, they always had a generic POV, where as this one seems to follow just one character, suggesting that this character is important some how.

Or it might be a part of a series of trailers released each month? Don't you feel that it's very lacking compared to the other 2 DLC trailers? 

Archived