The Tek Rex Good or Bad

prodigy1202

Okay, so I made a thread about all of the backlash regarding the Arkaeology event, so if you have something to say about that plz say it there. This thread is about what is, in my opinion, the most interesting piece of content added in this update; the tek rex.

I know I kinda just posted a fairly negative thread about the advertising mistake WC made with this update, but this thread isn’t gonna be much more positive. Sorry.

I’m not a fan of the existence of the tek Rex. I’m kinda obsessed with balance in games, so when I see a game like ark that has assets (in this case animals) whose utilities are completely overshadowed by the abilities or utilities of another animal to the point of the existence of the first animal being completely moot I feel the need to speak up. The tek rex is basically just a rex that is 20% more powerful in every way, and unlike the Giga it has no downside. The existence of the tek rex therefore makes the existence of the OG rex completely unnecessary. Why tame a rex when you can just tame two tek Rexes now and breed them forever to come? Stuff like this will also further widen the already gaping power gap between rich players on official servers and players who just joined. It’s actually gotten to the point where I have no intention of ever taming a tek rex. I’m too much of a fan of the original. 

its good i mean its a higher level rex than you could ever naturally find and tame the ideal warrior to take down the bosses and theyre apparently gonna continue to spawn after the event ends. as for the bad well the model...there needs to be a stronger word for garbage to describe the sheer level of dopey awkwardness and poor design choices made in creating this model why does it only have like 6 teeth at the front of its jaws why does it have robo puppydog eyes.

Tek Rex is good for people who want to start their own breeding lines, giving them a bit of a faster start(granted it'll still take much longer to find some high level Tek rexes)

For people who have been breeding rexes for a while or have bought rexes from the forum will see them only as a fun project.

There's honestly no way Tek rexes reach official bred rexes levels in dmg and health.

So Tek rexes are good.

I liked the Tek Rex as a new creature, it is not a bother to me at all. I am glad it became more than just a skin and I hope it is not limited to just it, perhaps the other Tek skins will have a role in Extinction, one can only hope. 

The way it works is just curious however, it seems it is as T-Rex, pure and simple, and that is fine, again it would be awesome to use these for Boss Battles as previously mentioned. It is just that logically I thought we would end up building this thing instead of breeding it.

I would have the Tek Rex Spawn with its stats, then have the player kill it, which would drop the blueprint for that specific build, then just build it and do a 1 time element power up (paired with the animation of powering up of course). However, I reckon in this scenario I would fail to have the breeding lines, which ultimately would make it a worse long term option because organic Rexes would be able to surpass it with their succession lines, so I guess this is why we are breeding the Tek entity.

I do hope we get to see the other Tek skins make it into the game as an Alpha alternative (not eliminating the Alphas that exist, just adding the other Teks to the spawns, again, maybe on Extinction or as a server option for me).

In the end, I  really liked the addition, I think it looks cool (though Giga and Mosa look a lot cooler on their Tek variations), I say we have another route to explore which is always a welcome thing. 

As a side note I also liked the new Dino Skins, perhaps these could make it as animal spawns variations on some maps eventually, I don't mind if the Stygi or Styrac would be a copy and paste / just a variation, visual variation is also valid as it helps tribes chose and differentiate from one another, I like this kind of stuff.

Cheers!

Stupid. there's only a limited time that these will be available to tame in the wild. Ultimately, unless people just start massively Taming huge amounts of them Non-stop, they're never going to be perfectable as a species, as after July 15th, you'll no longer have access to Wild ones to tame, and therefore can only increase the statistics of the breed through Mutation

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, fantredath said:

Stupid. there's only a limited time that these will be available to tame in the wild. Ultimately, unless people just start massively Taming huge amounts of them Non-stop, they're never going to be perfectable as a species, as after July 15th, you'll no longer have access to Wild ones to tame, and therefore can only increase the statistics of the breed through Mutation

This is wrong. The Tek Rex, and future Tek variants are here to stay. They will still spawn after the ARKaeology event.

You may want to read the ARK Extinction Chronicles in this from yesterday: 

I might be wrong, but what I understand from reading the chronicles is that each month until extinction, we will have a tek variation dinosaur. So meaning tek rex is only available until july15?

1 hour ago, GP said:

This is wrong. The Tek Rex, and future Tek variants are here to stay. They will still spawn after the ARKaeology event.

You may want to read the ARK Extinction Chronicles in this from yesterday: 

I might be wrong, but what I understand from reading the chronicles is that each month until extinction, we will have a tek variation dinosaur. So meaning tek rex is only available until july15?

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, WaightZer said:

They are here to stay.

Lets not forget about the breeding aspect.  For instance the level cap of dinos on official servers is 450 which means a 150 vs 180 tek breed army may mean an OG rex with longer breeding lines maybe be more powerful.  While a 180 rex may have less of a line before you can level it up to 450.  I'm more disappointed that they did not slightly change the skin up a bit to make it slightly more unique.  As well give us the fert tek egg that drops instead of just a normal unfert rex egg that drops.  Little details like that make it less of a copy of what visually we already have.

Now what I like about them for my standpoint is my unofficial servers I'm not stuck behind a 450 level cap which I can then breed them higher to take on bosses which I have difficulty cranked up as well.  

Archived