new player How to kill a lvl 4 Alpha Raptor at player lvl 25

joha

Just started this game this weekend.   DEAth  in abundance on family set up dedicated server.   We have reached level 25 

but now have  dinos   in the south that thou they are low level. 

ie  a level 4  Alpha Raptor  and  other aggressive dinos  that we cant seem to kill or run off.   They are just to fast or to strong.   

How is the best way to kill these.  So at least we can survive for more than a few minutes in the area.   

They have shown up where we wanted to build our base.  And we are not able yet to move to another place 

due to dieing way to much.  I think I have died at least  100 times already.

(I personaly think the server boss... ie my nephew, has made the server  his level. which is way way above most of our own  gameing levels. )

climb up on a tall rock or cliff ledge it cannot climb and shoot it. Bring lots of arrows. 

Don't feel bad about dying. ARK has a big learning curve and I personally find the start of the game (the struggle of it) to be the best part.

What levels are the dino's that you are concerned the difficulty is beyond your level? A level 4 tells me you are either playing difficulty 1 (max lvl 30), difficulty 2 (max lvl 60, where all levels are in increments of 2), or difficulty 4 (max lvl 120, where all levels are in increments of 4).  If you are playing difficulty 4, keep in mind that means you can have better dinos and the loot you find will scale more. When I began playing making the jump from difficulty 1 to a higher one was intimidating, but 1 will get stale and boring. I perfer difficulty 5 (max 150) or 6 (max 180)

At level 25 as much of an accomplishment that is - you are still just fertilizer looking for a place.

My first noobie alpha raptor I killed was whenn I was on a lvl 70 or so sabertooth.

My biggest noobie mistake was try to take on 2 alpha raptors on a low lvl rex. 

I think the best plan for you is to make the stone structures Rabbitridge suggested. 

After your first high lvl rex you will never fear Alpas again and you will learn to hunt them down like I do!

With a pteranodon you can lure dinosaurs away if you just want to get it away, however apha creatures give alot of xp and possibly some good loot along with plenty of prime meat so might be worth making a trap with stone. At lvl 25 you also have access to crossbows if you can muster the resources highly recommended. At this lvl however some of the most useful items you can have is bolas and wooden spikewalls. Bolas does not work on alpha raptors but on mostly of the other creatures about its size and less. If you build a trap. make a few campfire ready aswell to grill the meat from it. Good luck with the surviving!

Dinos all have X amount of inventory space. Once that is full you get that little black weight symbol. (Iʻve seen this on boosted servers where one swipe at a tree gets you like 500 wood and weight limits are super boosted.)

Anyway, once that limit is reached the dino can no longer pick up meat from a carcass. Itʻs AI will tell it "EAT THE CORPSE!!" so it will stand there forever biting at a corpse until some room opens in its inventory to get the last of the meat in there.

Use this to your advantage.

It will often ignore you as it desperately tries to eat every last scrap of meat off a dead body.

2 hours ago, Rattasaur said:

Dinos all have X amount of inventory space. Once that is full you get that little black weight symbol. (Iʻve seen this on boosted servers where one swipe at a tree gets you like 500 wood and weight limits are super boosted.)

Anyway, once that limit is reached the dino can no longer pick up meat from a carcass. Itʻs AI will tell it "EAT THE CORPSE!!" so it will stand there forever biting at a corpse until some room opens in its inventory to get the last of the meat in there.

Use this to your advantage.

It will often ignore you as it desperately tries to eat every last scrap of meat off a dead body.

Oh so this is what happened to the retarded alpha raptors i found... makes sense

Raptors are the easiest Alpha to kill for two reasons:  Lowest health of all the Alphas and it gets bonus damage from head shots.

Find a rock or some other highish point and try shooting it in the head with arrows.  You'll need like 40 arrows if you hit each shot, so bring like 100.

Another way is to exploit the current bug with alphas.  Alphas can't consume corpses.  Empty your inventory and let it kill you.  Run back with your arrows and it will be there chewing on your body for a while.  Stand at least 5 foundations away and shoot till it dies.  If any other carnivore is near, it WILL be able to eat your corpse... so do this when you have the alpha isolated.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
On 6/23/2018 at 11:43 AM, Rattasaur said:

Is that a conveyance of knowledge, or speculation though?

I've always considered them to be unable to actually 'hit' the corpse, and that causes them to be stuck in that cycle.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:53 PM, Molisa said:

Oh so this is what happened to the retarded alpha raptors i found... makes sense

It's just a bug with Alphas.  Wild dinos don't have anything in their inventories... otherwise every alpha would be slot capped on meat and have it in its inventory on death.  No.  All alphas are currently bugged and can't eat corpses.  Have been bugged like this since official release.

As an aside, it takes roughly 4 corpses and 170 arrows from a 200% xbow to kill an alpha rex.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:09 AM, BubbaCrawfish said:

Is that a conveyance of knowledge, or speculation though?

Speculation based on evidence I guess. I noticed the inventory cap when doing meat runs on a wyvern with super boosted weight( on PS4). No matter how I bit I couldn't pick up any more meat from a corpse. It reminded me of alphas biting futily at a corpse so that was the basis of my theory. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
On 6/27/2018 at 9:55 PM, Rattasaur said:

Speculation based on evidence I guess. I noticed the inventory cap when doing meat runs on a wyvern with super boosted weight( on PS4). No matter how I bit I couldn't pick up any more meat from a corpse. It reminded me of alphas biting futily at a corpse so that was the basis of my theory. 

Pretty sure that it's simply in the wrong spot for the kill, otherwise it'd sit there constantly doing it to each and every target... because it'd still be loading up on meat, and not having it expire.

Archived