A message to Wildcard

prodigy1202

Before I start let me just say a few things: usually I am the one to play Devil’s Advocate for a Wildcard against people who are on these forums to do literally nothing but blame SWC for their problems. Yes, I will be doing some of that here, but I also have to express this stuff to Wildcard:

It is really really hard for me to rationalize this! Look, I’m fine with the Arkaeology event. It’s cool, but you HAVE to understand that you completely and totally misled your fan base here. The only times you guys have had countdowns as far as I know was for the two previous DLC reveals, which basically sets the standard. You have also as far as I know never done a countdown for an Ark birthday event. Therefore we had no way of understanding of how high to set our expectations. The only hints you gave us with which to set our expectations were the silhouettes of the dinos in the picture. You should have known that people would immediately assume that this was some big update or some Extinction tease! These are the things that people wanted from this countdown. People made a reasonable assumption and were happy to be getting three new dinos! It’s your job to know this, and if you would just drop your god damn blinding pride for an hour and went on the forums and looked over the first page of each topic, maybe commenting on a thing or two instead of just letting your most die hard fans defend you (in many cases from people with very reasonable complaints) like meat shields YOU’D raptorING KNOW THAT. Look, your main problem here is that you didn’t listen to your fans. You guys literally have a topic pinned to the top of your game suggestions category in which you guys supposedly take creature suggestions. I’ve seen Brachiosaurus on that page many many times, but they weren’t asking for a SKIN. They were asking for a new Dino. I understand if you’re busy working in then Extinction DLC, but if you are then don’t waste resources letting down your fans. In case you can’t tell I’m mad. If there’s one thing you should take from this wildcard it’s that you need to be more active on the forums. These forums aren’t here for your fans to see what you post. They’re here for you to see what your fans want. That’s how good business is done.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, WildWyvern said:

You know there's a new countdown, right? We were all angry, but its better now. Extinction announcement tuesday morn, 11 am CDT :)

I’m aware of the countdown, but all I’m saying is that once they’re finished with Extinction they need to start listening to what their fans better. I would have been fine with them doing this event but they shouldn’t have made such a big deal out of it.

I also know that there may be more hidden content in this update, but Wildcats can’t really DO that with the reputation that they have among the majority of their fan base. 

49 minutes ago, prodigy1202 said:

I’m aware of the countdown, but all I’m saying is that once they’re finished with Extinction they need to start listening to what their fans better. I would have been fine with them doing this event but they shouldn’t have made such a big deal out of it.

I also know that there may be more hidden content in this update, but Wildcats can’t really DO that with the reputation that they have among the majority of their fan base. 

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree... Wildcard needs to understand... this game has its flaws, BUT it truly is an amazing game, and they can do SO much with it. I mean, god this could literally be one of the best games ever. No joke. I'd say after extinction, leave the content creation to modders, and then fix up and tidy em up. If they were to nerf griffins, and nerf human movement speed, pvp would be a lot better. There's so much they can do with this game... I just hope they know that.

Bear in mind that Aberration was released only six months ago -- personally, I doubt we'll see Extinction until December, possibly not even until Spring or Summer of 2019. They'll want to get as much use from the Aberration content cycle as they can before essentially "replacing" it with the next tier of content. An interview on the French Ark site even said that the countdown timer would kick off an event/series of events spanning the summer, culminating with the announcement of Extinction's release date:

In mid-June, an event themed around archaeology will be happening on all platforms. This event will tell you more about the new DLC (Extinction). Images and gameplay of Extinction will be revealed in mid-June. There will be an event all summer regarding Extinction on all platforms and a release date for it will be announced.

https://ark-france.fr/arksurvivalevolved/newsarksurvivalevolved/ark-news-19-toutes-les-dernieres-informations-sur-extinction/

This first event gives us skins and Tek Rexes, which will probably be found on Extinction. The new timer will most likely kick off either another event (perhaps a trailer release) that will give us more of a peek at Extinction and start a third timer, which will lead to another event. I'd guess this will be a regular thing until August or September, when the release date will be announced. That's how marketing usually does things, after all -- they build up the hype with little glimpses and "free samples" so everyone is chomping at the bit for it when the product is released. :) 

I never expected it to be the countdown to the new DLC. I don't know about SE because we started shortly after it was released, but previous to the Aberration release they posted these fragmental dino dossiers of the new creatures and whatnot. This time, there was no sign of the new DLC being released anytime soon, apart from a random countdown that could really have ended in about anything.

I'm a bit disappointed that the "new dinos" are only skins, but that's about it. I like the archaeology part of it for reminding me of a game I used to play before ARK. I'm curious, but not particularly excited about the new - and, mind you, FINAL - DLC being released, especially since noone knows what happens after that. Final sounds like a bit of an ending to me, and I don't want ARK to end.

Just be patient and enjoy looking forward to what's still to come. After that, there may not be much more to look forward to.

I can see why you are mad but to be honest, I also could give a crap about all the fuss with the countdown timer, People perceived it meant something and then it turned out not to be what they thought it was. Okay well fine WC did not make you think it was something great, you just did that all on your own. I'm hunting tek rex, picking up bones and making skins and getting good loot on some of the piles so I'm happy as a dung beetle in a pile of poop. Sometimes you just need to realize that the world does not ow you everything you perceive. Happy hunting Bro, hope you get a few nice tek rex. 

Guest DJRone89
6 minutes ago, FraggleRock said:

Rather.....busy with the update/fix for the mobile version - broken before people downloaded it.

3 hours ago, JuaneXec said:

Guys, be patient! Devs are very bussy with the mobile versions of the game.

Have a nice weekend.

You do realise War Drum Studios made the mobile game and not Wildcard, right? So there goes your whole narrative.

Guest DJRone89
13 minutes ago, FraggleRock said:

Such a consistent pattern though, can't help but laugh at WC. 

Why would you laugh at someone who has no bearing on the thing you are complaining about?

I agree there are legit gripe moments for this game but I do not see this event as one of them. Everyone is angry because they hyped themselves up for something that was never promised to them in the first place. Ark did not mislead you, you mislead yourself. I try to see both sides of every complaint, but honestly do not understand the complete anger people keep having over this event. Just because ark announced DLC with previous countdowns does not mean they HAVE to with this one. Why can't anyone ever be happy with anything that the devs try to do? Ignoring bugs and issues is non excusable, but when they have honestly tried to change up some of the monotony in the game for a few weeks its not to hard to say thank you and be grateful for a change instead of throwing a fit just because you didn't get three new dinos that wouldn't have added anything new anyways. ?

6 minutes ago, MandaBear said:

... Everyone is angry because they hyped themselves up for something that was never promised to them in the first place. Ark did not mislead you, you mislead yourself...

Yeah, the silhouettes weren't misleading. So if I advertice chocolate ice cream on a waffle and then sell you a waffle with poop it isn't my fault. You just had to guess that it might be sh*t, right?

18 minutes ago, DomiDarko said:

Yeah, the silhouettes weren't misleading. So if I advertice chocolate ice cream on a waffle and then sell you a waffle with poop it isn't my fault. You just had to guess that it might be sh*t, right?

If you advertise chocolate ice cream then switched it with anything it would be false advertisement. Good thing that doesn't relate to what ark did though, since they didn't advertise anything. They showed a counter and silhouettes of dinosaurs that they never stated you would be getting. As I've stated on these forums before, nobody knew if it would even be dinos that they were bringing in as opposed to mod dinos just for showcasing some other news. ?Again, you hyped yourself up and let yourself down. Nothing about that is false advertisement.

Guest DJRone89
3 hours ago, FraggleRock said:

I wasn't complaining - just think it's funny that a game done by WC on mobile would be broken before it is downloaded. Sort of a WC curse. 

Twice I’ve had to tell you this; Studio Wildcard didn’t make the mobile port, War Drum Studios did. How hard is that to comprehend?

You made the accusation that WC are busy fixing the mobile version instead of working on the PC/console version, which again is wrong.

2 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Twice I’ve had to tell you this; Studio Wildcard didn’t make the mobile port, War Drum Studios did. How hard is that to comprehend?

You made the accusation that WC are busy fixing the mobile version instead of working on the PC/console version, which again is wrong.

I dont think that was them telling you wildcard made the mobile port. I think that was them saying the game wildcard made is broken before and after port due to it being them that made the original game. Could be wrong, but that's the way I interpreted it at least. 

Looks like some people missed my clarification at the beginning of this whole shpeal. There have been SO many cases where I have been the one defending Wildcard from people attacking them. I love Ark. I play it whenever I have the time. I will likely continue to play it for years to come, however what Wildcard did here is a mistake. Here’s the main argument I’ve been seeing: “Wildcard didn’t imply that any new content would be added. That was just an enormous assumption on the part of the players.” 

The silhouettes were an incredibly strong implication that new dinos were going to be added. I also never said that a DLC release had to be at the end of the countdown. I merely said that a content update (or something of a similar caliber) had to be at the end of the countdown due to the fact that Wildcard set a standard with at least the announcement of a content release at the end of every other countdown. Yes, in only the most technical way people made the assumption that the silhouettes represented new dinos that would be added into the game, however it is literally Wildcard’s job to know that their fan base would do that. All I’m asking is that Wildcard learn from this, because that’s what mistakes like this are for. If you are a game developer blaming your fan base for being disappointed in content you added or a change you made, then you’re doing it wrong.

12 hours ago, DomiDarko said:

The worst thing is that some people may have asked for some days off work because they expected much more than this - to be honest: I think NOT A SINGLE user expected anything else than new creatures or DLC...

Thats their problem. Why would you take time off for a game event without confirmation? (Or at all..)

12 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

One time I forget to use a comma and it comes back. My mistake. WC made the game "Ark Survival Evolved", apparently somebody else made the mobile version - but the pattern of bugs from one game/platform to the other is too consistent for me to not laugh about it. 

Reason being:

#1 The more I learn about under-meshing the more I can recall incidents in the past that were unexplained - likely due to under-meshing. Possible under-meshing is the "big huge scandal" WC was talking about. 

#2 I submitted a ticket about a week ago for a lost character on fresh start servers and the ticket was immediately "solved" without a resolution. I don't know why - maybe that's how tickets are processed before they are looked at. Still waiting.....

#3 As I continue to play on fresh start servers (with a new character) I continue to see similar or "new" bugs suggesting a video game that needs to be checked over for bugs - in general. 

So I can clearly see how a community of people might be hyped up about a new DLC - maybe a more functional DLC? A break from the monotony of avoiding bugs? 

People don't play this game because of WC - they play because of player created content, in-game. 

Archived