#MakeSOTFGreatAgain

Error404

Is there any chance that You guys will bring SotF back to life? There are something like 100/200 players who never gave up on the game even if it's dead. Even if it is left behind by developers. We are trying everything possible since years to resurrect it.

I dont understand much of marketing and developing games (even tho I am an IT professional) but I think there would be some easy solutions to increase again the population and to compete with other games of this category.

For example:

• Releasing it as free standalone as it was in past. (see Fortnite-Darwin Projects...) This will maybe increase also the number of sold copies of ARK:Survival Evolved

• Adding some “”new”” dinos from ARK:Survival Evolved (just copy/paste the 3d model in the map)

• Removing NA lobbies. - As there is no NA server, new players will just waste their time trying to make NA lobbies and they will just give up thinking that the game is totally broken

• Upgrading Graphic menus (like the ones of Survival Evolved)

• Adding 1 or 2 new maps (scorched/aberration-like)

• Adding an interactive waiting lobby (Darwin Project style - Like a mini deathmatch?) so ppl wont get bored waiting and can warm-up

• Reduce the timer and the amount of players to start a lobby

• Maybe add some skin shop to gather some money to keep more server up?

This game has such a great potential at these days (see PUBG/Fortnite/Darwin Project etc.) and it could be a real gold mine.

I already contacted personally 2 Developers in Discord. I got told by one to ask here. The other did not even reply. Does Wildcard care about they customers? We dont want Tournaments with money again. We dont care of that. We just want to see OUR game rise again.

Sorry for my bad english.

Best regards, Error404.

Please #MakeSOTFGreatAgain

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the greatest game ever,  WC, if you ever read this, SOTF could be an excellent f2p game if you tryed to revive it :) If you do, please Don't immediatly do the Survivor leagues, but start fixing the bugs and stuff. I'm sure many people could be interested in playing ARK SE from first trying out SOTF if it was free for everyone. Please think about it :)   #MakeSotfGREATAGAIN

I can only connect to the error.
I've been playing the game for over 2 years or more and for me it's the best game I've ever played.
I have made many gameplay SotF and still stream this game.
I also do not want the game to die.
I also wish that this game is supported again.
Dinos, Maps, Layout etc. Please do not let SotF die.
The Fittest family and I love this game.
Please make the game atractive again to win new players and to offer a match for the pubg and co-competition.

This game is the best for me ever produced.
Please take care I do not want to see it die. :-(

I love SotF.

#MakeSOTFGreatAgain

If you want to bring back SOTF, you need to address the core issues with the game. You need to look at the reasons why people stopped playing or never even began playing. If you look at all of the steam reviews for the game, you will notice more than 50% of the reviews complain about game optimization. People cannot run SOTF on their computers, they get intense FPS drops loading in different portions of the map which is completely gamebreaking, especially in a fight, on a competitive level. I had a decent PC with a gtx 760 when I first started playing, and I upgraded ASAP in order to have a fair playing field against other competitive players.

But first, my criticism of the main post:

Why are you prioritizing "Adding 1 or 2 new maps (scorched/aberration-like)" instead of NA servers? Why do you thing removing more than half of the potential player base is the solution to revitalizing this game? Do you know how difficult it is to make a new map compared to getting NA servers up? We wont have the problem of new players "giving up" and leaving because NA lobbies don't start, if the lobbies actually DID start. And how many times do you run into this problem? Apparently quite often since you decided to include it in the post, meaning that all of these NA players are trying to play and can't. Adding NA servers will allow these players to play. I don't see ANY benefit to removing NA lobbies, and only benefits to adding them back, besides a selfish suggestion by an EU player to never play on an NA server at a disadvantage.
Next, I agree the "Graphic Menus" need to be updated, but not similar to the SE style. The SE menu is not optimized for fast gameplay, the current SOTF menu and inventory system actually works really well for its intentions, just needs to be cleaned up a little.

Now for my addition.

Ways to fix the optimization problems listed above:

-Remove parts of the map that are outside of the circle and not used at all during gameplay: There is a huge portion of the map still loaded in at the beginning of every game for no reason, this will ease the stress on people's PCs as they have less useless information to load in.

-The Caves: The caves in the game were completely useless. The dinos/creatures in the caves were so strong it was impossible to use the caves as anything other than a callout. But even if a player was able to get past the creatures, they were rewarded with a loot crate that contained...a phiomia saddle blueprint, which no one even could use because the dinos auto-equipped a saddle. It is a waste of loading time and memory to have the caves in the game. Either make them useful or close off the entrance and delete the cave.

-Optimize the game in general: Clearly the game is extremely un-optimized on the single map that is currently in the game due to the mass amount of people who cannot run the game. The point above is one of the first steps that can be taken to begin this process.

Other issues I've noticed during my SOTF career:

- Advertisement: During every single survivor league stream, the twitch chat was constantly spammed with comments such as "what is this game", "is this on console", "what kind of game is this". Wildcard was streaming a game that clearly had interest, people thought it was awesome and wanted to play it. The problem is, no one answered their questions and in turn, people lost interest and left instead of downloading and enjoying the game with the rest of us.

Streaming:

Sorry to say but the survivor league streams were horrible and unorganized. There were quite a few problems with the streaming so this will be its own category.

-The Shoutcasting: The shoutcasting was terrible not because he was a bad shoutcaster (although it definitely was unprofessional compared to other e-sport tournament streams) but because he did not know enough about the game to actually shoutcast. The spectator camera was extremely clunky and confusing for him. And when he tried to explain what players were doing, he explained it INCORRECTLY. This was not just a one time occurrence either.

-Downtime between games: This especially was handled poorly. The people in charge of streaming had no idea what to do during downtime between games or during technical difficulty breaks. Generally during a tournament they will pan in on the people running the stream and they will talk about the game that just happened and analyze the strategies and playstyles used by the players. If a game hasn't happened yet, they will talk about individual players. I.E. "We have some returning players from the last tournament (insert names of returning players), we saw in the last tournament they used (insert strategy) and it did (didn't) seem to work. Let's see what they have in store this time around." or "We have some new faces (insert player name) is making their first debut here at the SOTF survivor league tournament .......". But instead we are greeted with the same horrible song over and over again while the issues are being worked out. The song was literally played 15 times in a row (I counted) at one point. We lost thousands of viewers in that time, literally 75% of the viewer count vanished. We need better people to handle the streams, who plan out the show beforehand, not make it up as they go along.

-Information on the stream: As I said above people had no idea what game was being played, or how it worked. The description of the stream could have had a section that explains what game is being played and the basic concept of it. Or even a chat command !SOTF that has the game and description there, as well and information as to where someone could download the game.

Game Balance and updates:

-Patches: There is no reason why a major balance patch should be a major surprise to the players, especially the professional community. There was little to no heads up on when a balance patch was coming or what would be contained in it. Sure, this is a minor point, except for the fact that there were massive patches being implemented THE DAY BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT. That is an absolutely horrible way to handle a patch. If the developers want to implement a patch before the tournament fine, but you need to keep the same settings during the tournament, that we have played with for the entire month leading up to it.

-Frequency: It felt like with so many bugs and gamebreaking problems, the game would be updated a bit more frequently than it was. Things like dinos not auto equipping a saddle, getting stuck in the metal in mid, horrible desync on arrows and even guns (even on a server based in your region).

Cheating:

I heard somewhere that the desync could be fixed, but it would make it easy to aimbot and cheat. FYI, IT DIDN'T HELP, there were still aimbots being used and no penalty for it. I would get killed with an aimbot in 10% of my matches on average. No report system to penalize these players.

Stream Sniping: Even Wildcard said that stream sniping is not allowed and players would get banned for it. WRONG. I have had a stream VOD recorded where a player sad IN GAME CHAT that he was on the stream of a friend I was playing with, watching it, and will find and kill me to make me lose points before the survivor league tournament. He even used his real IGN so everyone knew his identity, his stream, his steam profile, etc. I figured, fine if he wants to do that I have proof and will report him to Wildcard and get him banned from the tournament. Apparently people like that are allowed to cheat publicly on stream and get away with it.

Toxic Players and Cheating Solution: Simple, add a report feature. Log the in game chat, log the voice chat, have the games reviewed if necessary. Teaming, stream sniping, aimbotting is not acceptable.
DDOS: Remember the tournament where the server was DDOS and we kept playing even though half of the server disconnected and died outside of the wall? I remember that. I also remember we didn't restart the game and just let this one person who decided to DDOS the server ruin the entire tournament. Server stability should be priority in games like this. If there are issues, our of the player's control, restart the game. This should not be a debate at all. People who say "But i had a good game and was going to win", of course you were going to win, the entire server disconnected. What about the other players who were in the same exact situation and mindset as you, but got booted?

There are lots of other issues I can address such as the broken ranking system (which I actually enjoyed), unfair matchmaking , removing useless features, server instability, balance suggestions, tutorial + sandbox implementation for new players, in game leaderboards (not just top 10) because it will help with skill based matchmaking, lobby waiting times/players per game etc. MAKING THE GAME SEPARATE FROM SURVIVAL EVOLVED(and free/much cheaper)  But this is already an essay of a post so I won't go into those.

17 minutes ago, realDOLAN said:

If you want to bring back SOTF, you need to address the core issues with the game. You need to look at the reasons why people stopped playing or never even began playing. If you look at all of the steam reviews for the game, you will notice more than 50% of the reviews complain about game optimization. People cannot run SOTF on their computers, they get intense FPS drops loading in different portions of the map which is completely gamebreaking, especially in a fight, on a competitive level. I had a decent PC with a gtx 760 when I first started playing, and I upgraded ASAP in order to have a fair playing field against other competitive players.

Why are you prioritizing "Adding 1 or 2 new maps (scorched/aberration-like)" instead of NA servers? Why do you thing removing more than half of the potential player base is the solution to revitalizing this game? Do you know how difficult it is to make a new map compared to getting NA servers up? We wont have the problem of new players "giving up" and leaving because NA lobbies don't start, if the lobbies actually DID start. And how many times do you run into this problem? Apparently quite often since you decided to include it in the post, meaning that all of these NA players are trying to play and can't. Adding NA servers will allow these players to play. I don't see ANY benefit to removing NA lobbies, and only benefits to adding them back, besides a selfish suggestion by an EU player to never play on an NA server at a disadvantage.
Next, I agree the "Graphic Menus" need to be updated, but not similar to the SE style. The SE menu is not optimized for fast gameplay, the current SOTF menu and inventory system actually works really well for its intentions, just needs to be cleaned up a little.

Now for my addition.

-Remove parts of the map that are outside of the circle and not used at all during gameplay: There is a huge portion of the map still loaded in at the beginning of every game for no reason, this will ease the stress on people's PCs as they have less useless information to load in.

-The Caves: The caves in the game were completely useless. The dinos/creatures in the caves were so strong it was impossible to use the caves as anything other than a callout. But even if a player was able to get past the creatures, they were rewarded with a loot crate that contained...a phiomia saddle blueprint, which no one even could use because the dinos auto-equipped a saddle. It is a waste of loading time and memory to have the caves in the game. Either make them useful or close off the entrance and delete the cave.

-Optimize the game in general: Clearly the game is extremely un-optimized on the single map that is currently in the game due to the mass amount of people who cannot run the game. The point above is one of the first steps that can be taken to begin this process.

- Advertisement: During every single survivor league stream, the twitch chat was constantly spammed with comments such as "what is this game", "is this on console", "what kind of game is this". Wildcard was streaming a game that clearly had interest, people thought it was awesome and wanted to play it. The problem is, no one answered their questions and in turn, people lost interest and left instead of downloading and enjoying the game with the rest of us.

Streaming:

Sorry to say but the survivor league streams were horrible and unorganized. There were quite a few problems with the streaming so this will be its own category.

-The Shoutcasting: The shoutcasting was terrible not because he was a bad shoutcaster (although it definitely was unprofessional compared to other e-sport tournament streams) but because he did not know enough about the game to actually shoutcast. The spectator camera was extremely clunky and confusing for him. And when he tried to explain what players were doing, he explained it INCORRECTLY. This was not just a one time occurrence either.

-Downtime between games: This especially was handled poorly. The people in charge of streaming had no idea what to do during downtime between games or during technical difficulty breaks. Generally during a tournament they will pan in on the people running the stream and they will talk about the game that just happened and analyze the strategies and playstyles used by the players. If a game hasn't happened yet, they will talk about individual players. I.E. "We have some returning players from the last tournament (insert names of returning players), we saw in the last tournament they used (insert strategy) and it did (didn't) seem to work. Let's see what they have in store this time around." or "We have some new faces (insert player name) is making their first debut here at the SOTF survivor league tournament .......". But instead we are greeted with the same horrible song over and over again while the issues are being worked out. The song was literally played 15 times in a row (I counted) at one point. We lost thousands of viewers in that time, literally 75% of the viewer count vanished. We need better people to handle the streams, who plan out the show beforehand, not make it up as they go along.

-Information on the stream: As I said above people had no idea what game was being played, or how it worked. The description of the stream could have had a section that explains what game is being played and the basic concept of it. Or even a chat command !SOTF that has the game and description there, as well and information as to where someone could download the game.

-Patches: There is no reason why a major balance patch should be a major surprise to the players, especially the professional community. There was little to no heads up on when a balance patch was coming or what would be contained in it. Sure, this is a minor point, except for the fact that there were massive patches being implemented THE DAY BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT. That is an absolutely horrible way to handle a patch. If the developers want to implement a patch before the tournament fine, but you need to keep the same settings during the tournament, that we have played with for the entire month leading up to it.

-Frequency: It felt like with so many bugs and gamebreaking problems, the game would be updated a bit more frequently than it was. Things like dinos not auto equipping a saddle, getting stuck in the metal in mid, horrible desync on arrows and even guns (even on a server based in your region).

Cheating:

I heard somewhere that the desync could be fixed, but it would make it easy to aimbot and cheat. FYI, IT DIDN'T HELP, there were still aimbots being used and no penalty for it. I would get killed with an aimbot in 10% of my matches on average. No report system to penalize these players.

Stream Sniping: Even Wildcard said that stream sniping is not allowed and players would get banned for it. WRONG. I have had a stream VOD recorded where a player sad IN GAME CHAT that he was on the stream of a friend I was playing with, watching it, and will find and kill me to make me lose points before the survivor league tournament. He even used his real IGN so everyone knew his identity, his stream, his steam profile, etc. I figured, fine if he wants to do that I have proof and will report him to Wildcard and get him banned from the tournament. Apparently people like that are allowed to cheat publicly on stream and get away with it.

Toxic Players and Cheating Solution: Simple, add a report feature. Log the in game chat, log the voice chat, have the games reviewed if necessary. Teaming, stream sniping, aimbotting is not acceptable.
DDOS: Remember the tournament where the server was DDOS and we kept playing even though half of the server disconnected and died outside of the wall? I remember that. I also remember we didn't restart the game and just let this one person who decided to DDOS the server ruin the entire tournament. Server stability should be priority in games like this. If there are issues, our of the player's control, restart the game. This should not be a debate at all. People who say "But i had a good game and was going to win", of course you were going to win, the entire server disconnected. What about the other players who were in the same exact situation and mindset as you, but got booted?

There are lots of other issues I can address such as the broken ranking system (which I actually enjoyed), unfair matchmaking , removing useless features, server instability, balance suggestions, tutorial + sandbox implementation for new players, in game leaderboards (not just top 10) because it will help with skill based matchmaking, lobby waiting times/players per game etc. MAKING THE GAME SEPARATE FROM SURVIVAL EVOLVED(and free/much cheaper)  But this is already an essay of a post so I won't go into those.

I just read this entire thing, and I couldnt agree more Dolan. They need to fix a lot of issues before the game will be perfect. But I think a lot of them are also very easy to fix. Like indeed, Get a knowledgeable shoutcaster. Remove the parts of the map that just slow down PC. And for me the most important thing was the advertising, and the lack of a tutorial.

I grinded the game a lot, but 95% of the kills I made were just complete noobs who had no idea what was going on, and got killed without a fighting chance. They need a tutorial, maybe even a "bot-mode" to practice, because the game can be very frustrating to get into. dying over and over to PvE or getting headshot with a bow in the beginning  after waiting in the lobby for 5-10 minutes must have sucked for those that were just starting out(most of the pro players did not go through this fase because they were already experienced ark players and/or had a lot of talent).

And indeed the thing that stunned me the most is that even 85% of people that played SE had no clue that SOTF was a thing. Surely you are able to advertise to your own community that there is this awesome new game? Overwatch had more fans half a year before it came out then SOTF ever had.

They made an amazing game, but they did not know how to handle it. New SOTF tournaments would be amazing, but they can wait. If they bring out the game, optimize it, get a playerbase, then announce tournaments, it will be much better then just throw a bunch of money down and hope people play.

EDIT: About the DDOS, I was in the survivor league on my last game(my spot was already secure, 10 points above the lowest place, but I got scared and decided to play another game :P) and the servers got DDOSsed, I lost 20 points and didnt make it in, someone else who was below me in rankings got a free entry to the tournament next month while wildcard has completely ignored all contact I tried to make with them, they need to work on better communication with their community.

26 minutes ago, realDOLAN said:

Now for my addition.

Streaming:

Cheating:

Dolan I said in my post "remove NA lobbies" not to be selfish or anything. Of course it would be way better to have back NA servers, but servers need to be paid once in a while, and Devs clearly dont wanna spend money anymore in this game. I tried to give only few of the many cheap examples (just examples) I had in my mind, that maybe can even make devs gain a little bit and make them happy and motivated to restart working on this project. I mainly agree with all your post tho, there are so many things that needs to be done, and im sure that old ppl would start coming back if they see even small but constant changes and, maybe, also some new ppl would come and play Sotf.

please wildcard, you have me completely baffled as to why SOTF isn't atleast somewhere on your priority list, yall were on the battle royal scene before most and then just dropped it, I understood yall had other projects at this time so I can see taking a break from it for ark: se launch and first few patches and everything, but... helloooo, more and more battle royals are poppin up all the time now and yall are sitting on the best one and do nothing with it...

1 hour ago, Error404 said:

Dolan I said in my post "remove NA lobbies" not to be selfish or anything. Of course it would be way better to have back NA servers, but servers need to be paid once in a while, and Devs clearly dont wanna spend money anymore in this game. I tried to give only few of the many cheap examples (just examples) I had in my mind, that maybe can even make devs gain a little bit and make them happy and motivated to restart working on this project. I mainly agree with all your post tho, there are so many things that needs to be done, and im sure that old ppl would start coming back if they see even small but constant changes and, maybe, also some new ppl would come and play Sotf.

Right, perhaps I misunderstood your intentions wit that sentence. However my point remains, a significant portion of the casual playerbase is from NA. I don't know how long you have played the game, but for the entire grind every month for survivor league, 80% of the lobbies were NA for 2v2. But if you notice, 90% of the competitive players are from EU which is probably why you have the idea that EU servers should stay and NA servers should go.

But the main point is, in order to gain revenue in a game, there needs to be a playerbase which is significantly cut by removing NA servers. If there is any implementation of revenue by wildcard into this game, whether it be cosmetics like in Darwin Project, PUBG, or Fortnite; or have the game be standalone again but cost like $15 or whatever, the cost of North American servers is minuscule compared to the amount of money they would make opening up the game to half of the world. Contrary to what you or anyone else thinks you NEED money to MAKE money when it comes to this game, and if the developers do not put money and work into their game, (which by the way labor costs) how can they expect to get anything out of it?

It's not like Wildcard is poor, they made a ton of money off of Survival Evolved and all of the DLC they sold with it. It's not like they have extremely high labor costs either, look how small their team is. That is one of the biggest reasons the game failed. They did not have enough manpower to give the game the attention needed to survive. The attention was split between SE and SOTF and frankly they decided to focus their attention on SE instead. Big mistake on their end seeing how big battle royale games have become, especially considering SOTF was ahead of the market by more than a year. They need to hire more people to focus on their other game instead of splitting labor and overworking their current employees and devs. Yes this costs money, but it is a necessary expense, and for some reason your post seems to avoid spending money. It's not about how to save money, it's about making the money that is spent worth it in the long run. And yes, obviously minimizing costs is ideal, but being too frugal (which is what happened) leads to failure.

I agreed that I would love to see SoTF return and I do agree with Dolan on pretty much every single one of his points. Not only should they keep NA, they should add asians servers aswell. However I was under the impression SoTF was out of WC's hands and Snail Games are working on it for Ark Park? 

This articles seems to state that anyways. -> http://massivelyop.com/2018/03/30/gdc-2018-ark-parks-snail-games-on-vr-science-and-the-future-of-the-franchise/

Archived