Spotlight: Castoroides!

Jatheish

• Administrator

large.56cce8b7aa375_SkunkyMe.jpg.f38e2d2

large.Castoroides.jpg.04c8aeda8812e404f4

Later today the ARK will be updated to Version 236 and with it comes everyone's favourite organic craftsmen and restraints to capture those pesky raiders!

large.Prisoners.jpg.6c8cbc909ad0e20726f1

Castoroides Feliconcisor is a large, mammalian herbivore that tends to live near water. Unlike other larger beaver species this one retains the chisel-shaped teeth of modern beavers. 

large.Underwater.jpg.ee1cbeaf5342377d88e

As is typical for beavers, they build dams as habitats, but the larger creatures on the island have a tendency to trample them. As a result, finding unsullied dams in the wild is quite rare. The creature naturally gathers wood extremely efficiently, far more than most species on the island. It's not the strongest creature, so it can only carry limited amounts, however with its fantastic chisel-shaped teeth, survivors find it quite the handy mount to use for crafting on the go!

large.56cce8bae4fba_GiantBeaverPets.jpg.

Patch 236 continues to adds more roleplaying fun, allowing Survivors to now handcuff each other and effectively enable them to wrangle prisoners! The patch also introduces a number of improved client and server side performance streaming improvements.

large.Taunt.jpg.a16564893291f677cc4b72b2

Hope you guys have a dam good time!

Wildcard Jat & The ARK Survival Evolved Team

View full article

Just now, Ij999 said:

The patch notes also say Feb 23 Morning EST... it's now 7:13 PM EST. So we know that's outdated.

If it's not in a spotlight, it's not coming- hence why the beaver and the handcuffs were in the spotlight, but nothing else.

It's ok though, just means they ran into trouble if so, so obviously we just have to wait a little longer, we get this for now to satisfy us as is

53 minutes ago, Grognak said:

It allows for the quick construction of wooden structures.

You can load up on thatch and fiber, and use the beaver to farm wood and craft structures on the go.

You can already craft wooden structures quickly on the go without any mount..

apprentice hatchet and a sickle = wooden structures fast

The beaver is probably not fast on land, so evading predators is probably more difficult on the beaver than on foot.

Also, by the time you can tame a beaver you should already be able to make stone structure. 

33 minutes ago, Captain said:

You can already craft wooden structures quickly on the go without any mount..

apprentice hatchet and a sickle = wooden structures fast

The beaver is probably not fast on land, so evading predators is probably more difficult on the beaver than on foot.

Also, by the time you can tame a beaver you should already be able to make stone structure.

This is how I do quick construction of wood structures.

I'll load my character up with Thatch and Fiber.

I jump on my mammoth, and head into the woods, farming wood till my mammoth can't move anymore.

I access his inventory while mounted, pull as much wood as my character can possibly hold, and start spamming foundations/walls/ceilings.

While those structures are Queued for construction I will continue to farm wood on the mammoth and rinse and repeat until I've got my desired number of wood foundations/walls/ceilings.

I'm not too terribly excited about this dossier but a new dino to add to the list is always nice. (even tho my mammoth would stomp this creature as far as wood harvesting goes.)

No hand tool can produce wooden/stone structures like a dino being used the proper way can.

Edited by Grognak

1 hour ago, Grognak said:

This is how I do quick construction of wood structures.

I'll load my character up with Thatch and Fiber.

I jump on my mammoth, and head into the woods, farming wood till my mammoth can't move anymore.

I access his inventory while mounted, pull as much wood as my character can possibly hold, and start spamming foundations/walls/ceilings.

While those structures are Queued for construction I will continue to farm wood on the mammoth and rinse and repeat until I've got my desired number of wood foundations/walls/ceilings.

I'm not too terribly excited about this dossier but a new dino to add to the list is always nice. (even tho my mammoth would stomp this creature as far as wood harvesting goes.)

No hand tool can produce wooden/stone structures like a dino being used the proper way can.

Lol I understand that but that's a mammoth. The beaver is said to not be strong, even though it can get wood faster than a mammoth.

This beaver does not really enthuse me too much.

5 minutes ago, Captain said:

Lol I understand that but that's a mammoth. The beaver is said to not be strong, even though it can get wood faster than a mammoth.

This beaver does not really enthuse me too much.

Maybe if you had another person following you, picking up the wood as you drop it from the inventory to craft?

Or maybe the beaver harvests MORE wood per tree than a mammoth...

Or maybe Its just another large animal to ride around and troll people???

15 minutes ago, FaneBlackwing said:

It seems the Giant Beaver is going to be a really useful water mount. That thing looks super quick.

I'm glad it's rideable. That would've been quite the wasted opportunity if they didn't IMO.

Beware everyone. For the most dangerous war mount has been released to the Ark.

Beavers

Ever been on a 120 kibble tamed Icthy?

You talk about water speed...

Just now, Grognak said:

Ever been on a 120 kibble tamed Icthy?

You talk about water speed...

Oh trust me, I know how fast Ichthys are in water. I was talking about the Castoroides being capable of both land and water travel. Super useful thing there. Could make transporting wood easier.

I have an Ichthy with about 220% speed and I kid you not I can be around the island in minutes.

1 minute ago, FaneBlackwing said:

Oh trust me, I know how fast Ichthys are in water. I was talking about the Castoroides being capable of both land and water travel. Super useful thing there. Could make transporting wood easier.

I have an Ichthy with about 220% speed and I kid you not I can be around the island in minutes.

LOL

I loved my "Fish Sticks"

RIP by a crash to dashboard and lvl 8 Megaladon.

Edited by Grognak

6 minutes ago, LustfulJester said:

I hope y'all start adding better animals than the lame ass poop y'all been adding. The gallimimus is the only good animal y'all added. Love the game, but if fans are coming up with better add ons than the creators y'all are soon to be the next destiny. (Big disappointment)

"Lame ass poop"

I didn't know that something that can insulate your eggs for you and insulate you is lame or bad. Same with something that can create fertilizer en mass.

Besides that, the Gallimimus isn't all that useful. I tamed three thinking I'd use them a lot-- and I do-- but only for the eggs.

Castoroides will save me a lot of time. It's small so getting it around will be much easier than using a Mammoth, and it apparently collects more wood than the Mammoth. If that isn't a good creature then I don't know what is.

EDIT: Plus it seems it won't be collecting from plants so the sole focus will be wood and you won't have berries and seeds cluttering it's inventory.

Edited by FaneBlackwing

3 minutes ago, FaneBlackwing said:

"Lame ass poop"

I didn't know that something that can insulate your eggs for you and insulate you is lame or bad. Same with something that can create fertilizer en mass.

Besides that, the Gallimimus isn't all that useful. I tamed three thinking I'd use them a lot-- and I do-- but only for the eggs.

Castoroides will save me a lot of time. It's small so getting it around will be much easier than using a Mammoth, and it apparently collects more wood than the Mammoth. If that isn't a good creature then I don't know what is.

EDIT: Plus it seems it won't be collecting from plants so the sole focus will be wood and you won't have berries and seeds cluttering it's inventory.

my mammoth can harvest and carry near 1k in wood in minutes...

berries wouldn't clutter at all, its awesome to call out to your Tribemates, mammoths full come get your food.

2 minutes ago, Grognak said:

my mammoth can harvest and carry near 1k in wood in minutes...

berries wouldn't clutter at all, its awesome to call out to your Tribemates, mammoths full come get your food.

Yeah, Mammoths may be able to carry more, but the Beaver seems to do it quicker. It's smaller so getting around is easier, and it looks faster as well.

The carry weight will determine whether the Castoroides is truly superior to the Mammoth when it comes to collecting wood. If it isn't as pitiful as Gallimimus carry weight, I'd say it will be superior.

Also I play solo so I do everything myself lol.

1 hour ago, LustfulJester said:

I hope y'all start adding better animals than the lame ass poop y'all been adding. The gallimimus is the only good animal y'all added. Love the game, but if fans are coming up with better add ons than the creators y'all are soon to be the next destiny. (Big disappointment)

This could easily be in the top 10 for dumbest comments I've yet seen on this site.

• lilpanda pinned this topic
  • Jen unpinned this topic