Structure Decay Changes

Jatheish

A damned if you do and damned if you don’t scenario – good luck WC.

I tried Aberration and was left cold from the experience due to all the pillars in the portal starting area. It was made worse because you can’t put fireplaces down with any nearby to cook food.

What if you had some special “home” foundations, these foundations allowed you to have a predetermined build area (X # of foundations plus 3-4 foundations of clear space – for fences) where no one else could build within that area. Perhaps a max of 2 per person (so two bases) but once they’ve joined a tribe theirs contributes to the tribe total which gets upped to maybe max 3-5 per tribe. The tribe can either keep the new members base or dismantle it to reuse the special foundations to make the “home” base bigger if under the max number of home foundations.

If a tribe has a mass exodus the home base stays the same size but they cannot build it larger until they get the original amount of people they had, up to the max of the 3-5 special foundations. Excess special foundations over quota based on tribe members revert back to standard foundations.

Exception to the rule, set heavy resource areas and set space limits around these heavy resource areas, the area around the resource field eats into the base build area if close. The tribe can build structures near the resource field (outside its predetermined area) but cannot place anything in it.

These home foundations could be a special thing to try and take out for PVP.

This will probably be too hard to implement on existing servers.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While you're at it, could you make a few more things auto decay as well?

It's nice to find old storage boxes, vaults, transmitters, etc. but there a things that really no one needs that never decay:

Spikes, campfires, standing torches, feeding troughs, compost bins, inlays of dino gates and probably more.

Maybe it's possible to let spikes that are not within range of any other structures decay with the current timer (really decay, not stay there for years until someone demoes them) and spikes close to other structures have the same timer as wood/adobe parts.

Same with the other things.

10 hours ago, Saupe said:

And the problem of pillar spam will never end.

SIGH. thanks devs, you found a solution, and caved to the LARGE PVE TRIBES. Because face it, there the only ones with true pillar spam whilst "protecting the metal spawns, and the meat spawns, and the bush spawns, and the tree spawns".

In other words, pillaring every piece of land any where near them to prevent pthers building in any kind of proximity to their base"

Like seriously, go on any high population PVE server, notice how there are 3-5 tribes on the entire server, and they own every pillar there. This is not to protect spawn areas, but to stop other people being able to play on their server. at one point the top 5 PVE servers were entirely pillared ffs.

Listen to this guy, this could work,

try getting off your lazy rear and look for land outside spawn zones. there is plenty on all 4 official servers i play on.

Thank you all for understanding that the issue can't be addressed with another bandaid decay timer patch, Jat. 

We lucked out with the last one allowing pillar/ladder combos without destroying spawns. Any other structure additions will kill off all spawns around it. 

We've had to police ourselves for a while on our servers. It's worked for the most part. Griefers can't build on resource nodes, and your GM staff aren't taxed like crazy to address complaints for basic pillaring. 

A much larger overhaul in how spawns / no build zones work is needed before any changes are implemented. It's the only way this "problem" doesn't become a ****storm. 

11 hours ago, Ocicat said:

Hi Jat! Hope Rag-382 is running well now ;)

I must say I am extremely impressed with Wildcard's decision to take a step back and not just rush this fix. They listened and are analyzing our feedback which in today's gaming culture is rare for a development team to do. So hats off to you Wildcard, this is how a development team and it's community should work. Again, very impressed!

+1

11 hours ago, Sleiva said:

@JatheishJust you need do first two diffrent balance for PVP and PVE then after balancing solution doing structure decay changes

+1

15 hours ago, Weiss said:

There are many "low-count" structures...

gates often are not snapped to anything. They are two structures.

1x2 foundations are often used to block spawns inside your own walls.

Crappy respawn hut

Ladders on pillars to climb up

I have each of these on the servers I have played. I worried that some might go poof when I first read the earlier announcement. I am relieved to hear that decay timers to deal with the bad pillars is being rethinked.

I do support WC for wanting to have a way for the game to police itself when it comes to the bad pillars, and grateful that they listened to us when we said there are good pillars too.

My current low-count structures on pve Official Legacy:

With my pillars, 1) I protect a large area of metal spawns. 2) I keep a small no-build zone around my base walls.

3) With two foundation structure pieces, snapped to nothing else, I block spawns inside my base walls. I want to have an open yard for baby walking and Wyvern landing.

Lets be totally honest here, who really wants to build their base next to some huge lag causing dino filled uber base. Your game would just be a framerate lag city hellzone. Even riding past one of these things naked on the back of a tiny dodo with no trees rocks or plants nearby still causes your game to freeze. So using the excuse that pillaring is to stop a player building by your gates is the biggest load of bleep ever. 

The amount of flyers i've fallen off of flying over these frame rate lagging monstrosities is a joke, so i would love to see all pillars on officials destroyed. But then i no longer play on officials because of this issue.

1 hour ago, GreenRoc said:

Thank you for reconsidering Jat. My friend told me he was going to quit playing Ark alltogether because of your earlier predicted change. He'll keep playing now.

Thank god your mate stayed, the game would have suffered a great loss. We are honoured that he changed his mind, the millions of other Ark gamers would have felt this loss.

1 minute ago, AngryGamer666 said:

Thank god your mate stayed, the game would have suffered a great loss. We are honoured that he changed his mind, the millions of other Ark gamers would have felt this loss.

So then why do you care? 

Your pentium II potato processor couldn't handle a basic dino base, so you moved to SP/modded which doesn't need to follow official rules. Good for you.

Let the official players discuss, thanks.

6 hours ago, AndrewLB said:

try getting off your lazy rear and look for land outside spawn zones. there is plenty on all 4 official servers i play on.

I think you will find that most new players are far from lazy, they normally end up carrying that first base foundation miles to put it down and set up a home due to the selfish players pillaring everywhere. And also they probably have to re build that first foundation numerous times as they end up getting killed by Dilos or Raptors and lose everything. And then they respawn in another pillared off area and another and another, and to really rub salt in the wound some new players will even try spawning in the snow or harder areas to find they cant build a fire or defences because of more pillars. So really don't insult new players and call them lazy.

7 minutes ago, LimitlessAeon said:

So then why do you care? 

Your pentium II potato processor couldn't handle a basic dino base, so you moved to SP/modded which doesn't need to follow official rules. Good for you.

Let the official players discuss, thanks.

I played official for a very long time and now i play unofficial pc on my pentium 2 potato xbox on my own paid for by me Nitrado server, where i can officially boot any selfish players who think they can land grab. Playing on official does not give you the right to tell me where and when i can post, i don't play on official because of this ongoing issue as its been here from day one and is an alpha tribe caused problem. Now Wild Card have backed down because all these alpha crybabies are worried they may have new neighbours but i say grow a pair Wild Card you may lose a few selfish cry babies but a lot more players have been waiting for this day and will probably return to official. 

8 minutes ago, AngryGamer666 said:

I played official for a very long time and now i play unofficial pc on my pentium 2 potato xbox on my own paid for by me Nitrado server, where i can officially boot any selfish players who think they can land grab. Playing on official does not give you the right to tell me where and when i can post, i don't play on official because of this ongoing issue as its been here from day one and is an alpha tribe caused problem. Now Wild Card have backed down because all these alpha crybabies are worried they may have new neighbours but i say grow a pair Wild Card you may lose a few selfish cry babies but a lot more players have been waiting for this day and will probably return to official. 

Such a salt-laden rant. Wildcard understands it's a terrible idea which is why they are backtracking. Also, it most likely would cause a chunk of the player base to leave the game right before their last expansion hits, AKA $$$.

Anyways, enjoy the modded server, I guess? ?

1 hour ago, AngryGamer666 said:

using the excuse that pillaring is to stop a player building by your gates is the biggest load of bleep ever. 

It's not a pile of bleep. I have a real example of when someone did not use pillars to protect their base area, and they only had three dinos...

IhXTUxD.jpg

Walls owned by my Allied Tribe. Blue Circle is my pillar (with several reminders from me, my allied tribe friend still did not pillar their walls, so I put in a few of my own pillars). Red circles by a non-allied tribe, inside the walls of my allied tribe's new base. This was on Legacy Official PvE, where we have to police ourselves.

This... this is why I pillar around my walls, because Fence Foundations offer no build protection.

Edit to add: Thankfully, the tribemate of the guy who griefed my allies had removed their tribemate's griefing pillars. Their tribemade had a misunderstanding against my allies, as this act was likely done in revenge (and done to the wrong tribemate of my allies, this wallmaker had nothing to do with the original situation that ticked off the non-allied tribemate). The misunderstanding and pillar giefing has since been remedied in a good way, and eventually my allied tribemate let the walls time out. Sry if any confusion with this story, I try to keep simple but it isnt easy.

Not everyone will be as cooperative when it comes to getting along on official servers.

This is my base on the same server with my pillars around it:

JlYTkQZ.jpg

Red are my own pillars with ladders (preventing someone from building near me). Purple is my two foundations to stop a wild spawn. Lime/yellow are my dino gates.

P.S. (Edit to add) I am not sure what is up with your heavy sarcasm AngryGamer. I am a very literal person, sarcasm is very hard for me to detect, but when I can detect it, it has to be very heavy. Are you not feeling ok, or are you just trolling? Why do you feel a need to say such things against our very real issues? I am very curious why you have such an attitude, or am I mistaken about how you are feeling? I hope your day goes better, whatever the case, seems like you aren't feeling too well about something (hugs)

39 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

It's not a pile of bleep. I have a real example of when someone did not use pillars to protect their base area, and they only had three dinos...

IhXTUxD.jpg

Walls owned by my Allied Tribe. Blue Circle is my pillar (with several reminders from me, my allied tribe friend still did not pillar their walls, so I put in a few of my own pillars). Red circles by a non-allied tribe, inside the walls of my allied tribe's new base. This was on Legacy Official PvE, where we have to police ourselves.

This... this is why I pillar around my walls, because Fence Foundations offer no build protection.

Edit to add: Thankfully, the tribemate of the guy who griefed my allies had removed their tribemate's griefing pillars. Their tribemade had a misunderstanding against my allies, as this act was likely done in revenge (and done to the wrong tribemate of my allies, this wallmaker had nothing to do with the original situation that ticked off the non-allied tribemate). The misunderstanding and pillar giefing has since been remedied in a good way, and eventually my allied tribemate let the walls time out. Sry if any confusion with this story, I try to keep simple but it isnt easy.

Not everyone will be as cooperative when it comes to getting along on official servers.

This is my base on the same server with my pillars around it:

JlYTkQZ.jpg

Red are my own pillars with ladders (preventing someone from building near me). Purple is my two foundations to stop a wild spawn. Lime/yellow are my dino gates.

P.S. (Edit to add) I am not sure what is up with your heavy sarcasm AngryGamer. I am a very literal person, sarcasm is very hard for me to detect, but when I can detect it, it has to be very heavy. Are you not feeling ok, or are you just trolling? Why do you feel a need to say such things against our very real issues? I am very curious why you have such an attitude, or am I mistaken about how you are feeling? I hope your day goes better, whatever the case, seems like you aren't feeling too well about something (hugs)

In the end it all depends on people being considerate like what you did just pillaring the bare minimum to protect yourself. But that is not the case with so many others.

I'd like to add that I wish new player spawns were build protected like drops are. And also tell a few stories of reasons why some people pillar:

On my main server, there's a base built on top of a player spawn (which was not pillared off to protect the player spawn), and upon several occasions in the past, players would spawn there and get stuck inside their foundations. I believe this was later fixed by Wildcard so players pop on top of the foundation when they spawn in. I remember a time I had a friend come in, an experienced player, but not yet aligned to a tribe, and got stuck there, could not get out, even tho the tribe who built on spawn have the base set up to allow the player spawns to escape.

Another tribe I have seen on another server, whom built on spawn, didn't care to make a way out. All the doors locked, and I heard from someone who was a vetran of that server, tell us that the base had 30+ bodies stuck in it.

If you ever wonder why spawn points are pillared, it is likely to prevent people from making a base on top of spawn.

If any of you have had a problem with pillars at spawn, did you ever ask the pillar owner to remove the pillars when they were online? And ask nicely?

Some players are very happy to remove pillars around new player spawns, or obelisks, if asked. One of my allies has the entire zone around green oby pillared, and he will remove pillars if asked nicely. He told me why he has pillars there: so some *bleep* wont come and build a massive base and/or preventing others access to the oby.

I know a tribe leader who would pillar everything within render distance of their tribe's base, because they had a bad experience with a base built too close to them. That other base wasn't laggy, it was super ugly. My leader didn't want another eyesore within render distance from then on.

P.S. I type a lot about this subject because I am passionate about this game. One legacy official server has been home to most of my waking hours for the last three years. I care about what happens, because it directly affects what I do everyday.

your on the right path keep up the great work.  My concern for the pillar decay is that I have stacked a bunch of pillars close together to form my water pen for my water tames.  I really dont want to have to replace them with gates.  Please make sure to look at that in your solution.  Maybe even just block building on metal, obsidian, crystal spawns like you do with caves and drops. 

On 6/6/2018 at 1:32 PM, RockE said:

A damned if you do and damned if you don’t scenario – good luck WC.

I tried Aberration and was left cold from the experience due to all the pillars in the portal starting area. It was made worse because you can’t put fireplaces down with any nearby to cook food. 

There's not even water in that area, you're not supposed to stay there.  Portal areas are pillared because it's a spawn location for basilisks.  There's nothing even remotely interesting enough in that area to have a first base there.   Not to sound harsh but if you start this game and expect to find a base location literally 1 minute after spawning you're in for a cold ride indeed.

6 hours ago, hardballer said:

There's not even water in that area, you're not supposed to stay there.  Portal areas are pillared because it's a spawn location for basilisks.  There's nothing even remotely interesting enough in that area to have a first base there.   Not to sound harsh but if you start this game and expect to find a base location literally 1 minute after spawning you're in for a cold ride indeed.

You say that, but when we all started day 1 abb release, dozens of tribes were making their first bases there.

It was only until after settling in portal, with further experience, tribes decided to go deeper into the map. 

The guy has a point to want to start with a damn campfire there at least.

Well, good idea.

I think that on one way, its good to allow people to build, instead of being blocked by lots of pillars.

On the other way, some teams use pillars to protect some spawn zone for dino or ressources, which would have disappeared if people install themselves on these places.

I'm sure that you will find the most appropriate option !

Thx for being awesome WC!!

• Jen unpinned this topic

Archived