Structure Decay Changes

Jatheish

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, waylayer said:

what? u cant tame on a tame capped server man, pillars aren't the problem, u can find a good place to build if u tame a pteranodon but if the server is tame capped u can't fly to look for a good place

Your so right... as for the piller idea. I think they should limit how many pillers you can use by themselves. Maybe to 100 or so. But then people will just make little boxes...

Part of the fun of this game is being allowed to build anywhere, the only thing I wouldn't agree with people being able to spam or block off is artifact locations.  That there - is as big of an issue.

Then again, people spamming 1000s of foundations probably only creates lag for the server, and makes it to whatever tribe spammed them - their base will render really slowly.  The foundation/pillar spam mechanic needs to be removed (for all our sake) and add a game mechanic that makes more sense and requires less PC/server resources.  Sigils?  Banners? 

I pretty much agreed with the idea that if I spammed a foundation + pillar away from my base, it should have a severely decreased timer on how quickly it poofs or auto-destroys (they should auto-destroy).  Spam tactics in PVP are generally done when people know they are about to be hit, which is fine, and is part of the game, but making it to where huge tribes can spam 1000's upon 1000's before a fight has even begun just wastes more resources and causes lag for everyone involved.

I've heard that if we increase the decay rate, larger tribes will just smear their base locations out further - SURE, do that.  You will be much easier to hit in pvp being spread out, having your turrets MORE spread out.  I don't buy that for a minute. 

While this is welcome news, the people that are being griefed by pillars (among other things) to their bases are still in the dark.

Reported someone 3 weeks ago via the new PC abuse report form and they still havent watched the linked videos yet. Even Tweeted @Jatheish 3 times over a period of 3 days for a timescale, but no response.

Wondering where 'Older' PC players go to now.

I am very thankful that the Established players were LISTENED to and the roll-out was  delayed so the "pillar reasons" could be thought through and (*hopefully*) kept in mind when a solution is rolled out.

Yes pillars are an issue on servers. But, in the majority of cases the reasons are LEGIT in protecting needed end-game resources (ie: Spino sails for bosses); rare dino spawns (ie: beavers and the supplies their dams give have new & established players); as well as keeping people from building so close that you can't expand if you wanted or needed to.

There are resources or access to area/resources that aren't in the current "protected zones" from being built on or blocked (ie: people building on human spawn points so that people are trapped and have to die to respawn because there is no 'suicide' option and [some of] the builders deliberately did it that way.]
Yes tickets can & are submitted against said tribes. Still takes days-to-weeks to resolve.

Our old Aberration server had a box tribe that blocked [as in they sealed it off] at least 1 access to the surface. Our current Aberration server has a tribe (another box tribe I believe) that has placed dinos gate frames across the entrance to Red zone. Granted we can glide over on our drakes & they don't (currently) have doors on the gate frames - but the obvious intent is/was there.
People build traps or huts (less than 3x3) in the middle of narrow pathways.
Our current Island server had a tribe that put beh-gates all around nearly 80% of the Eastern Swamp. No unlocked gates. No boating access to the whole area. Tickets were filed. It took weeks but they either banned/left or were dev-wiped. The established players pillared the area to prevent that from happening again. Our river edges where beavers and spinos are known to spawn are pillared by various tribes. Just to protect the spawns.

6 minutes ago, Skiidzman said:

Part of the fun of this game is being allowed to build anywhere, the only thing I wouldn't agree with people being able to spam or block off is artifact locations.  That there - is as big of an issue.

Then again, people spamming 1000s of foundations probably only creates lag for the server, and makes it to whatever tribe spammed them - their base will render really slowly.  The foundation/pillar spam mechanic needs to be removed (for all our sake) and add a game mechanic that makes more sense and requires less PC/server resources.  Sigils?  Banners? 

I pretty much agreed with the idea that if I spammed a foundation + pillar away from my base, it should have a severely decreased timer on how quickly it poofs or auto-destroys (they should auto-destroy).  Spam tactics in PVP are generally done when people know they are about to be hit, which is fine, and is part of the game, but making it to where huge tribes can spam 1000's upon 1000's before a fight has even begun just wastes more resources and causes lag. 

gotta say youre very wrong on pillars lagging server at least on PVE you dont place one pillar next to other they are more spread ence less pillars to cover a are for let's say hunting ground or to cover a base so no other giant base will be built right next to the other base walls etc... What creates real lag is building villages thinking this is minecraft or fallout to be beautiful or castles when only gonna make huge areas of lag making disconnection and blue screen errors. I dont know about PVP strategies since for me its a waste of time on a game that requires 3 hours to tame a dino so a kid can kill it because he think is fun ence i only play PVE, but if the problem lays on PVP and strategies that provokes lag on purpose so the enemy cant attack and even kill their dinos PVE players shouldn't pay for that, keep solutions separate keep it simple!!!

21 minutes ago, FOX8619 said:

gotta say youre very wrong on pillars lagging server at least on PVE you dont place one pillar next to other they are more spread ence less pillars to cover a are for let's say hunting ground or to cover a base so no other giant base will be built right next to the other base walls etc... What creates real lag is building villages thinking this is minecraft or fallout to be beautiful or castles when only gonna make huge areas of lag making disconnection and blue screen errors. I dont know about PVP strategies since for me its a waste of time on a game that requires 3 hours to tame a dino so a kid can kill it because he think is fun ence i only play PVE, but if the problem lays on PVP and strategies that provokes lag on purpose so the enemy cant attack and even kill their dinos PVE players shouldn't pay for that, keep solutions separate keep it simple!!!

I don't play PVE, so i would disregard much of what I say in that aspect for you guys.  

1 hour ago, Jatheish said:

Survivors,

First and foremost, thank you! Since our announcement post yesterday, we've received an incredible amount of feedback and have decided that we are not going to be rolling out the structural changes this week. We've decided to step back and reevaluate our solution, taking into account the feedback you’ve provided.

Our intent behind the change remains the same. We want to address structure spamming issues (pillar/foundation spam) which often takes place when players attempt to claim or grief different areas of the map in both PVE and PVP. However, we understand that there is legitimate gameplay uses for these mechanics. We want to make sure that the inevitable change we make recognises and can differentiate between illegitimate and legitimate cases.
We want to ensure that our change is a step forward for the game overall. 

We anticipate that this could be a significant change for the game, which is why we need the extra time to step back and reconsider all possible options. We remain vigilant and dedicated to addressing issues that affect survivors the most and want to be cautious that changes like these benefit players overall without causing more harm than good. Stay tuned, as we’re hoping to have more details on the update in the future, as well as the ability to work with you directly in determining the best solution.

Good  decision!how about a TLC for the tek suit can’t log out in it and the Y button for the helmet needs to be change Y does to many things ?

There are many "low-count" structures...

gates often are not snapped to anything. They are two structures.

1x2 foundations are often used to block spawns inside your own walls.

2x2 foundations for tek transmitters (not neccessary any more, but still looks good), and other smaller structures. 

Small ramps, 1 foundation +1-2 ramps for smooth access to small ledges.

Crappy respawn hut, 2 pillars, 1 ceiling, 1 ladder.

"parking lot" 1-2 fence foundations, 1-4 railings.

Ladders on pillars to climb up, we use those on rag in our cave base. No need for bigger structures to reach different levels.

Rock golem traps; usually only gate frames that aren't snapped.

Please take care not to destroy these things! 

Would it be possible to create a "claim flag" item, that is limited to let's say 5 per steam account per map?

So one could place 5 of them on SE, 5 on another SE server, 5 on rag etc. A tribe of two will have 10 available and so on.

This would at least prevent multiple characters on the same server, but not multiple accounts.

The arks are more than big enough for the average 25 players on a server to not need to spam pillars everywhere, I agree heavy resource spawns need protecting but people pillaring mass areas off is ridiculous, the centre server I’m on has most of the snowy grasslands covered in them. Not to mention blocking off paths with behemoth gates so you can’t pass without a flyer to that area too.  It’s just selfish and immature, an we can do without them types of players. 

@Jatheish possible solution is still implement it but add 2 extras:

PVE - Restrict building on resource zones

PVP - Add a new structure type that acts like a building (can't build near enemy foundation etc) but can't snap to existing structures, has high resistance to explosives, is quite small to prevent using it as a structure for defense, more only used to prevent people fobbing up outside their base

Hi Jat! Hope Rag-382 is running well now ;)

I must say I am extremely impressed with Wildcard's decision to take a step back and not just rush this fix. They listened and are analyzing our feedback which in today's gaming culture is rare for a development team to do. So hats off to you Wildcard, this is how a development team and it's community should work. Again, very impressed!

5 hours ago, BLACKCAT said:

@Jatheish ok here my idea than

Like arma 2 and 3 (epoch) have it, a special item (plot pole/frequency jammer how ever you wanne call it) which allows only your tribe to build in a larger circle (or volumetric area) than the normal 10 foundation radius. 

Make a limit for that item depending on tribe size AND block building at player/key recource spawns (rich metal/crystal/obsidian etc), spino spawns and beaver dams

@Jatheish

This is actually a very smart idea!

My biggest gripe with this change is that you have to do something about beaver dams, Spino spawns and other crucial areas that people shouldn't be allowed to build in. At this point in time your players on their respective servers are doing all the police work to prevent trolls and grievers coming in, blocking spawns and ruining the game for everyone on that server. Make Spino sails more abundant and change the way beaver dams work on the island to allow this pillar change to not have a negative impact on your player base.

7 hours ago, Jatheish said:

Survivors,

First and foremost, thank you! Since our announcement post yesterday, we've received an incredible amount of feedback and have decided that we are not going to be rolling out the structural changes this week. We've decided to step back and reevaluate our solution, taking into account the feedback you’ve provided.

Our intent behind the change remains the same. We want to address structure spamming issues (pillar/foundation spam) which often takes place when players attempt to claim or grief different areas of the map in both PVE and PVP. However, we understand that there is legitimate gameplay uses for these mechanics. We want to make sure that the inevitable change we make recognises and can differentiate between illegitimate and legitimate cases.
We want to ensure that our change is a step forward for the game overall. 

We anticipate that this could be a significant change for the game, which is why we need the extra time to step back and reconsider all possible options. We remain vigilant and dedicated to addressing issues that affect survivors the most and want to be cautious that changes like these benefit players overall without causing more harm than good. Stay tuned, as we’re hoping to have more details on the update in the future, as well as the ability to work with you directly in determining the best solution.

Thing is with all of this, its just treating the symptoms and not the causes. 

• Jen unpinned this topic

Archived