Community Crunch 134: Small Tribes Servers, Upcoming Structure Changes, & More!

Jen

Hey! I'm new to the community and I have a suggestion about the next (possible) TLC. Dilophosaurus, especially as an early game tame, should have a model update like other older ark creatures. Being some of the first dinosaurs new players see when starting off on a beach sets a expectation of quality for game dinosaurs. Maybe I'm just a nerd who likes smaller tames, but the dilo has been a long-term member of ARK and deserves a bit of model love.

17 hours ago, Stryfe said:

Don't bother taming them - They are useless in all domains (combat, harvesting and construction) and provide nothing in the way of kibble - granted they can be used as a mobile smithy - but it is an arduous task having them follow you all over the map, and anywhere decent you're likely to need a smithy... just build one - they aren't that resource intensive.

but i like them and want to tame them, they are my favourite dino and only reason i play, like dodos.

7 hours ago, waylayer said:

we need regions, pve  NA servers is full of [][][][] player, maybe asians, maybe russians, but not NA players, i'm on a fresh server without transfer and now  we are tame capped cause [][][] players just take all the map with buildings, spawn traps, pillars, etc, and breeding with out real life, now on a fresh server [][][] have tek items and bases.

i'm a casual player i just play 2 hours daily and i cant play this game cause i love tame and my fresh server is tame capped, i dont need a big base i know the better places for bases are taken so i just take a place inland but i cant play if the server is tame capped, look if the server is capped what i can do? yes build where i can and [][][] player do the same.

What you can do is take a note from the majority of the players that got fed up with the cancer that is official pve and start over on unofficial pve. Theres thousands of unofficial servers with varying settings and gametypes. They are less crowded and rules can actually be enforced. The owner of the server can be an admin as well as appoint others to be admins which can do anything that a GM can do. So trolls can be banned, dinos unstuck, and tribe ownership issues can all be fixed in a matter of a day or so instead of 2 weeks like official servers. Most of these servers are rented from the same company that hosts the official servers. They run great when they aren't spammed with structures and dinos. You dont need a large tribe to survive and you dont need to spend a whole day just to get one thing done. I run an 18+ server for adults that have lives. Dino and structures auto decay turned off, claim/demolish timer x3, dino food consumption halved. All so small tribes can play the game and not have to no life the game. Would never go back to official even if the fixed the pillar spam or dino cap issues.

Concerning this main post, what is there to say, i have survived a lot,  but as i am ill in real and use my spare time to play this with my husband, helping new comers when we can and shunning trolls which many went official and a particular rag server i refuse to set foot in.  But i dont have more time available to restart all ive wholeheartedly and unmaliciously built.  Trolls have been a terrible problem in the past for our island  and scorched.  Concerning noob calling., have some respect as we were all noobs when we started, everybody has the right to play but its how you play that counts.  Pillaring has saved bases and resources. Stopped gating of bases around which obsructed us from being able to ride our rexes for meat runs.  Sighs if only people knew how to live with each other especially on a game as awesome as this.

22 hours ago, Azmeaiel said:

Anyway, another highlight of why structure limits to protect areas are bad, already servers look like this: To combat announced changes.....welcome to the aesthetic future of ark.

62B473295DAC76899AA3C858B10F916E24DD7DE5

People with a knee jerk reaction like this are usually the major offenders in the first place.  In the original announcement there where no specifics as to what the structure decay changes would be at all but fools like this just assumed adding more pieces would be the solution, many of them knowing this would block spawns.  This issue is based in wildcard never having clearly defined guidelines for griefing and the vague rules they did present not being enforced in any meaningful or consistent way.  Just give people clear guidelines of what is and isn't allowed and punish the offenders, not try to build rules that affect the good player base just as much as the bad apples.

24 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

People with a knee jerk reaction like this are usually the major offenders in the first place.  In the original announcement there where no specifics as to what the structure decay changes would be at all but fools like this just assumed adding more pieces would be the solution, many of them knowing this would block spawns.  This issue is based in wildcard never having clearly defined guidelines for griefing and the vague rules they did present not being enforced in any meaningful or consistent way.  Just give people clear guidelines of what is and isn't allowed and punish the offenders, not try to build rules that affect the good player base just as much as the bad apples.

You are partly right.  I say only partly because the ARK playerbase is widely varied, with people playing from other countries that in many cases hate American people, and they choose to come to NA cluster servers on the PvE side of ARK and do what they can to control and grief.  We've all seen this for years now.  The chief offenders are going to build more pieces to preserve their pillar-fields, nothing you can do about that!  But some of us have one base location and would rather not have a hostile foreigner or a new player who thinks "oh, cool spot, im sure this person wont mind if i build so close to them they can't expand."

But you are just pushing a solution that our friends at WildCard are trying to get away from...  Which would be......

Actual Enforcement.

Like any business, they are trying to save money.  Save money by having less servers.  Save money by cutting community staff.  Save money by cutting GM staff.  They are trying to find a catch-all solution for this problem.  There isn't one.  I will admit, I have 1x1 huts built around my base and they will stay there until this situation discussing and reprogramming the minimum structure count to meet material-decay timer comes to a close, because i would rather not be caught off guard and log in to a new chinese neighbor who builds so close that the ramp leading out of the building I finished can't be completed.  I might be part of the problem, I suppose, but I will admit:  I'm not taking down my 1x1s any time soon.

@Jatheish, there isn't a catch-all solution.  We are a dynamic, online community in a 24/7 persistent world.  You all have to have active moderation, and a ticket system.  You will need GMs to come to servers to decide things.  It is part of this great animal we all call ARK.  People are rude and mean...  Even ones that don't say swear-words (forum-censorship, we are all children) will act more immature and vulgar than you care to imagine.  If you "the rules" it to death, there will be mass attrition from ARK, moreso than in times past.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 hours ago, TheDonn said:

http://www.dododex.com/taming/castoroides

Castoroides, otherwise known as the Giant Beaver or for those pressed for time, Beaver.  I do not know where some people get their information.

I believe you have failed to take in the context of his post. If you add the context you'll realise he is not saying you can't tame Beavers in the sense that you are thinking.

Dear wildcard devs. 

Than you for your hard work, but please bare in mind, that this game is no longer in "early access" and do not punish the players just because they play. Please look at the source of the problem, how and why is it happening. Pillaring is good and bad too, just like anything else done excessively. Think of the PVE mega tribes that have resources and can pillar or BE gate an entire fresh server in couple of hours, and in just a few days they can brag that the server is tame capped. I sure hope you got this figured it out and will not make 99% of the players who play on a daily basis rage quit for a week or two

I know this may be for another topic, but on 322 and 340 which are legacy servers there are hardly anyone on them which was great. I've been on 322 for over 1 1/2 years while starting on 340 SE before Easter (which is being taken down by the 12th) WE hardly ever bluescreened or lagged because of the rendering issue. I know that you can't force anyone to go to those servers, but the game was actually great and didn't have to worry about any of this except for now starting all over on official servers with these issues that the people here are posting about. I didn't want to leave either server, but W.C. you basically made us which I believe is B.S. (reason being W.C. taking down the Legacy servers). I would rather stay on those servers with no problems at all then to relive the lag and bluescreening issues along with just getting kicked from ARK because of connection issues!

22 hours ago, GP said:

S+ integration is still being worked on, it hasn't even been integrated on PC yet. PC Official servers are in the exact same position as consoles so if they only cared about PC then they'd already have integrated it there wouldn't they?

since S+ is being worked on why has there been no time frame and why hasn't there been a single console update with any bug fixes in the last 6 weeks and my comment was for WC to answer. (I also said nothing about official servers) We all gathered since S+ was announced at E3 last year there would be some progress but a whole year and bugger all added to make the game more balanced, fun, and competitive for PvE players who enjoy this type of game, We have always been glad of DLC updates including new maps and engrams and dino's but would simply like to see more TLC on consoles and for announced items to be implemented. I have spent a lot of hours on this game through a lot of issues with Player Dedicated servers, lagatronic official servers there should be a more fair and equitable solution to the console update every whenever you feel like it is required now if it was announced that just after E3 S+ was being integrated then we would wait patiently for the major huge 60gb update.

Don't get me wrong I love ark but the building system frustrates the hell out of me and almost everyone else I know that plays it loves it too just usually feel like consoles get left in the dust and before you say anything yes I understand that there is a certification process for consoles that may take time but that shouldn't stop you from doing monthly updates.

Edited by DarthHaktyl
fixed wording

• Volunteer Moderator
22 minutes ago, DarthHaktyl said:

since S+ is being worked on why has there been no time frame and why hasn't there been a single console update with any bug fixes in the last 6 weeks and my comment was for WC to answer. (I also said nothing about official servers) We all gathered since S+ was announced at E3 last year there would be some progress but a whole year and bugger all added to make the game more balanced, fun, and competitive for PvE players who enjoy this type of game, We have always been glad of DLC updates including new maps and engrams and dino's but would simply like to see more TLC on consoles and for announced items to be implemented. I have spent a lot of hours on this game through a lot of issues with Player Dedicated servers, lagatronic official servers there should be a more fair and equitable solution to the console update every whenever you feel like it is required now if it was announced that just after E3 S+ was being integrated then we would wait patiently for the major huge 60gb update.

Don't get me wrong I love ark but the building system frustrates the hell out of me and almost everyone else I know that plays it loves it too just usually feel like consoles get left in the dust and before you say anything yes I understand that there is a certification process for consoles that may take time but that shouldn't stop you from doing monthly updates.

The reason I mentioned official servers is because everyone on console that complains that S+ has not been released yet often claims WC don't care for console and only cares about PC, yet every time it has to be reminded that PC does not even have S+ yet either.

I logged in today to find my neighbor had surrounded our area with 2x1 houses.  All the trees and rocks and metal in our area now are just gone.  The place looks a ghetto now.  I couldn't figure out why he'd do that.  Then I read this.

The person/team making the decision to solve the lack of a land claiming system in this way shouldn't be allowed to make decisions any more.  Seriously, just fire them. Or better yet, make them play your game for 2 hours a day on an official server.  Clearly they don't understand the problem they're trying to solve nor its consequences.

Go look at the land claiming system of ANY game that has one.  I suggest "Life is Feudal".

Or... Crowd Source it.  I'm SURE we could come up with something better.  Some of us could even come up with something good as well as feasible.

• Volunteer Moderator
17 minutes ago, Blaubund said:

I logged in today to find my neighbor had surrounded our area with 2x1 houses.  All the trees and rocks and metal in our area now are just gone.  The place looks a ghetto now.  I couldn't figure out why he'd do that.  Then I read this.

The person/team making the decision to solve the lack of a land claiming system in this way shouldn't be allowed to make decisions any more.  Seriously, just fire them. Or better yet, make them play your game for 2 hours a day on an official server.  Clearly they don't understand the problem they're trying to solve nor its consequences.

Go look at the land claiming system of ANY game that has one.  I suggest "Life is Feudal".

Or... Crowd Source it.  I'm SURE we could come up with something better.  Some of us could even come up with something good as well as feasible.

They decided not to do the structure changes... 

34 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

They decided not to do the structure changes... 

Didn’t stop those people from spawn blocking. They probably read the crunch and went to town making structures like everyone else that read it. We will be dropping structures like crazy as soon as the new decision comes out to do everything we can to maintain spawns and keep our base from being clogged up with new tribes that want to build right by us. There’s plenty of land outside our pillars (just a radius of our base because it’s big enough). They can build there. 

• Thanks 1

• Volunteer Moderator
16 minutes ago, flamron said:

Didn’t stop those people from spawn blocking. They probably read the crunch and went to town making structures like everyone else that read it. We will be dropping structures like crazy as soon as the new decision comes out to do everything we can to maintain spawns and keep our base from being clogged up with new tribes that want to build right by us. There’s plenty of land outside our pillars (just a radius of our base because it’s big enough). They can build there. 

Its sad that people do that on pve. Hopefully WC will come up with a solution to land claiming and resource claiming soon. Im sure with your guys suggestions they will find a way. 

Needs a bigger map allot bigger then the new one and allot more Dino's or now days animals keep ark but mix it up a little more maps more weapons more tools more stuff I love ark just needs more stuff it would be awesome to have Dino's and now days animals mixed on bigger maps and more epic animals and Dino's with awesome things they can do plz ark do this for every one for free ark took off as an awesome game keep it going mix it up thank your for the awesome game 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KingDuck1 said:

I know this may be for another topic, but on 322 and 340 which are legacy servers there are hardly anyone on them which was great. I've been on 322 for over 1 1/2 years while starting on 340 SE before Easter (which is being taken down by the 12th) WE hardly ever bluescreened or lagged because of the rendering issue. I know that you can't force anyone to go to those servers, but the game was actually great and didn't have to worry about any of this except for now starting all over on official servers with these issues that the people here are posting about. I didn't want to leave either server, but W.C. you basically made us which I believe is B.S. (reason being W.C. taking down the Legacy servers). I would rather stay on those servers with no problems at all then to relive the lag and bluescreening issues along with just getting kicked from ARK because of connection issues!

I believe this comes down to the quality of the server host. not naming any but some are really bad. ARK should rent much much better servers, with great support, and global low latency. 

On 6/6/2018 at 7:30 AM, Saupe said:

1 Stego + 20 C4 = FOB getting built lol. You would waste more resources doing this than learning how to build properly/strategically.

There are many things that block other players building but do not block spawns, such as gates, spikes, boxes, campfires, standing torches, cages, crop plots and signs. Most new players start on a beach, so stop using beaches for resources, if a base does not decay after a while, the people are still playing and can be asked to move. Remember, OTHER PEOPLE PLAY THIS GAME TOO. Any land blocking, for any reason including the common 'preserving spawns' BS is just a selfish playerbase on PVE.

Pillar spam on PVP is pointless most large tribes use a combination of dino gates, spikes, foundations and signs.

Start a tribe, place your 5 build boxes in strategic locations, ally with a friend. Start a new character on the server, rinse and repeat until the server is fully locked.

Plus on PVP the build box would be a very valuable thing to protect as it would prevent FOBs being pushed forward, defensive structures whilst attacking etc. 

Or mega tribes could just get, say 20 people on a server, all place their 5 build boxes, therefore preventing people from counter FOBs etc and allowing server ownership rather quickly.

Also, THERE IS NO MEAT SHORTAGE ITS CALLED THE SEA YOU IDIOTS, MY TUSO HAS ALWAYS OUT-PERFORMED MY GIGAS ON MEAT RUNS.

[I'm gonna get banned], have you ever played official Pvp with mega-tribes? You realise its 5 c4 for one raptoring foundation. If you know so much then it'd take more than 50 c4 to build a fob where you have foundation spam/turret towers.

I really don't understand why the devs keep screwing over the paying customers.. so a few people complain because they don't understand the value of resource preservation.. So you punish the many who paid for the game same as any of those few cry babies.. you keep trying this and keep failing when are you going to learn it is a part of the game you created and the majority of the population of paying customers are ok with this!! you guys are the worst at punishing your fan base than any other developer before you.. At this point i'm pretty sure all you care about is how to keep making that money no matter how many fans you have burned and keep burning.. when are you going to figure it out that people aren't quiting your game because you're doing such a great job at making them happy.. what kind of stupid thinking is that?? everyone knows a happy customer is a repeat customer...well everyone but you guys.. you keep nerfing pve PVE!!!! DILO!!! IT"S PVE!!!! i understand pvp but leave pve out of this!! REALLY what was it hurting that people could hover and stam a quetz in pve!?! NOTHING!! yet you ruined that for us.. keep breaking your game and not even fixing the real issues with your servers and game.. dinos being eaten by the maps falling through mountains and so much more.. i mean really?? REALLY??? i realize i couldn't do what you do but with how much money you have made with this game there is really no excuse at this point for the game to be as broken as it still is.. don't get me wrong it's leaps and bounds better than it was day one beta.. but still come on... put some of that money back into your game and not your pockets so that way people who paid you their hard earned money gets an actual QUALITY product from you... your game is a major grind and you reward that grind with stupid  nerfs and game breaking bugs and rollbacks.. nothing better than wasting the most valuable thing for anyone (which is time because you can never get it back) by adding dinos to the game that only serve to troll the players kill their dinos or rafts and make the grind less rewarding.. i don't like that i can be jumped by a purlovia and knocked off my mount then be stunned by this dino only to have it kill you and your dino which you either spent hours taming or raising while you can't do anything but stand there and watch your hard work go down the crapper?! SERIOUSLY?? ARE we just the anthill and you're the idiots with the magnifying glass???? great job wildcard you really are a bunch of asshats. obviously i'm not a very happy customer and seriously annoyed with your thought process of not caring for your customers by doing stupid nerfs to pillars and anything anyone finds useful or enjoyable about your game.. how many times you going to do this pillar song and dance and keep screwing us over.. you NEVER win!!! the games obviously find a way!! IF IT'S NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!! FIX YOUR ACTUAL GAME INSTEAD THE LAG AND CRASHING IS HORRIBLE I'M PRETTY SURE YOU GUYS JUST SLAPPED DONE ON THE BETA WHEN IT WASN'T EVEN DONE!!!!  i'll stop now seeing as i'm a paying customer i'm pretty sure you don't give a damn about anything i say..

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Smokingwalnut said:

I really don't understand why the devs keep screwing over the paying customers.. so a few people complain because they don't understand the value of resource preservation.. So you punish the many who paid for the game same as any of those few cry babies.. you keep trying this and keep failing when are you going to learn it is a part of the game you created and the majority of the population of paying customers are ok with this!! you guys are the worst at punishing your fan base than any other developer before you.. At this point i'm pretty sure all you care about is how to keep making that money no matter how many fans you have burned and keep burning.. when are you going to figure it out that people aren't quiting your game because you're doing such a great job at making them happy.. what kind of stupid thinking is that?? everyone knows a happy customer is a repeat customer...well everyone but you guys.. you keep nerfing pve PVE!!!! DILO!!! IT"S PVE!!!! i understand pvp but leave pve out of this!! REALLY what was it hurting that people could hover and stam a quetz in pve!?! NOTHING!! yet you ruined that for us.. keep breaking your game and not even fixing the real issues with your servers and game.. dinos being eaten by the maps falling through mountains and so much more.. i mean really?? REALLY??? i realize i couldn't do what you do but with how much money you have made with this game there is really no excuse at this point for the game to be as broken as it still is.. don't get me wrong it's leaps and bounds better than it was day one beta.. but still come on... put some of that money back into your game and not your pockets so that way people who paid you their hard earned money gets an actual QUALITY product from you... your game is a major grind and you reward that grind with stupid  nerfs and game breaking bugs and rollbacks.. nothing better than wasting the most valuable thing for anyone (which is time because you can never get it back) by adding dinos to the game that only serve to troll the players kill their dinos or rafts and make the grind less rewarding.. i don't like that i can be jumped by a purlovia and knocked off my mount then be stunned by this dino only to have it kill you and your dino which you either spent hours taming or raising while you can't do anything but stand there and watch your hard work go down the crapper?! SERIOUSLY?? ARE we just the anthill and you're the idiots with the magnifying glass???? great job wildcard you really are a bunch of asshats. obviously i'm not a very happy customer and seriously annoyed with your thought process of not caring for your customers by doing stupid nerfs to pillars and anything anyone finds useful or enjoyable about your game.. how many times you going to do this pillar song and dance and keep screwing us over.. you NEVER win!!! the games obviously find a way!! IF IT'S NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!! FIX YOUR ACTUAL GAME INSTEAD THE LAG AND CRASHING IS HORRIBLE I'M PRETTY SURE YOU GUYS JUST SLAPPED DONE ON THE BETA WHEN IT WASN'T EVEN DONE!!!!  i'll stop now seeing as i'm a paying customer i'm pretty sure you don't give a damn about anything i say..

The pillar change is not happening, they are re-evaluating it.

look i am sorry if i am upset about all of this i had real faith in this game and loved it from day 1 but now it just feels like a hollow shell of what made it great to begin with.. i do enjoy th e game for the most part. but i am getting sick of this nerfing frenzy on pve.. and i'm pretty sure i am not alone on this.. i could of chosen my words better so i do apologize. i just wish you guys actually listend to the many not the few, most of these nerfs if not all could of just not happened if you did.. and thanks for letting me know about the pillar eval. still not getting my hopes up though.

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, Smokingwalnut said:

look i am sorry if i am upset about all of this i had real faith in this game and loved it from day 1 but now it just feels like a hollow shell of what made it great to begin with.. i do enjoy th e game for the most part. but i am getting sick of this nerfing frenzy on pve.. and i'm pretty sure i am not alone on this.. i could of chosen my words better so i do apologize. i just wish you guys actually listend to the many not the few, most of these nerfs if not all could of just not happened if you did.. and thanks for letting me know about the pillar eval. still not getting my hopes up though.

I believe part of the issue is that with the way the game is developed that PvP and PvE cannot be separated. This means when they make changes to PvP it will also impact on PvE. It is not a case of them making a change on PvP and then going ahead and doing the same on PvE. It is unfortunate, but I think that is the way the game will be regardless.