Community Crunch 134: Small Tribes Servers, Upcoming Structure Changes, & More!

Jen

10 hours ago, TyphoidBeaver said:

I can only see this being a bad thing, people need to be able to protect their land and important resources, if you take this away from us you are just asking for every server to get ruined by trolls and people who do not care that they are stopping everyone else from playing, ie: killing resource spawns, dino spawns, and building so close to each other that the lag constantly crashes your game

Actually most of alpha tribes already claim the servers and harass smaller tribes turning them unble to play. Each server with alpha has 2 or 3 people allowed yo stay (until eventually get raided by alpha). We see 10 players max on those servers (on a common day) at a server created to 70 player max. It has to be something wrong with this system.

5 minutes ago, Khalean said:

Actually most of alpha tribes already claim the servers and harass smaller tribes turning them unble to play. Each server with alpha has 2 or 3 people allowed yo stay (until eventually get raided by alpha). We see 10 players max on those servers (on a common day) at a server created to 70 player max. It has to be something wrong with this system.

this is pvp probably don't forget this has also a big impact on PVE not al is pvp.

It all really does boil down to Wildcard taking control of the maps. I do not want to pay for a game and then have some random person tell me where or how I can build. 

1.Enough protected resources need to be available,  protected by the map, not by random people.

2. The kibble problems need to be resolved so that every single tribe does not feel they need huge bases to house hundreds of dinos.  Smaller bases will free up more land.

3. People need to realize that we don't need them to block off forests, entire beaches, whole cliff areas and rivers.  If pillaring is allowed, that is what happens.  It is easy to say we need the pillars to protect resources but if pillaring is allowed, there will always be people who feel they are entitled to pillar everything in site because they can.  Every official server I have played on has those people.

On the one official server that I have played on for over two years it has been interesting to watch the process.  I have my little base up on that waterfall cliff on the west side of The Island.  There is a huge beach area that goes from the waterfall river all the way to the snow area.  I have watched so many people come and go.  They pillar up the entire beach area below me and always say that they want to be sure and have the area for expanding their base.  They usually build a gigantic base but don't use near all the beach area. It stays pillared up though, until they finally do leave and the beach is empty again, until the next person comes along.  When new people spawn in, they should be able to build a small base, but because the whole area is "protected" they are not able to even put down a thatch hut to survive the night.

It is definitely a problem.  I sure hope Wildcard can figure out a solution. 

Really? Pillars are not the real problem, they auto-decay pretty fast. In fact some of the pillars disappeared from our base, and this was not the solo pillars, it was a cascade wi turrets to top. It just disappeared while we was active, we just lost turrets and bullets and element. I hope structure rework will fix this disappearing pillars, cause this is a bit annoying. 

@Jen The only thing this will do is make the players with 6k+ ark hours quit if their floating base's (that are connected to the ground with a grid pattern below it) get destroyed as a byproduct of the flawed coding that wildcard deploys. There are plenty of other games on the market with smoother graphics and better coding, don't lose your veteran base due to knee jerk solutions. As far as the breeding and baby meshing goes, how do you suggest breeders that raise 100+ dinos on 66 tek troughs on one tek gen to maximize efficiency in a 16x16 grid?

Can i message you a serious question about PVE breeding/raising?

27 minutes ago, TopKnight1989 said:

@Jen The only thing this will do is make the players with 6k+ ark hours quit if their floating base's (that are connected to the ground with a grid pattern below it) get destroyed as a byproduct of the flawed coding that wildcard deploys. There are plenty of other games on the market with smoother graphics and better coding, don't lose your veteran base due to knee jerk solutions. As far as the breeding and baby meshing goes, how do you suggest breeders that raise 100+ dinos on 66 tek troughs on one tek gen to maximize efficiency in a 16x16 grid?

Can i message you a serious question about PVE breeding/raising?

I don't want to be mean but... this is basically the top 1% complaining about not getting to use things that aren't meant to exist in the first place, while the 99% are worried about being able to survive the updates at all.

Floating bases are not meant to be a thing. Raising dinos en masse inside each other like a 1x1 animal farm in Minecraft is not meant to be a thing.

I have 5k hours in the game. This is not how the majority of PvE players think or act at all, and it's not bad if these things get fixed. Whatever changes Wildcard is gearing up to make towards pillaring are probably going to be awful for everyone and I absolutely do not agree with it, but being unhappy about maybe losing your magically hovering house is ridiculous.

Edited by Nim

12 hours ago, Jatheish said:

Thanks for the feedback regarding our structure announcement folks, we appreciate it. Keep it coming. 

Last time you guys did a pillar fix the pillars I used on my structures as a decorative feature went poof, please dont force me to redo everything again..

My entire base including outer wall also made of pillars and walls, probably uses like 4-6k pillars in total.

5196A29D7BCA249E11F411FFFE444AD4F64FA24F

Edited by monomania

12 hours ago, BlueFox91 said:

What does this mean for fences, gates, spikes, curved/triangle structures, large enclosed yards with pillars to keep others from building inside fencing....

Having past experience, there is about 80% chance something goes wrong and all those structures are destroyed. Thankfully, there are server rollbacks but still, that takes time and complicates things. 

My current base fence is built with three pillars (one on top of each other) and then two rows of walls...rince and repeat. Looks beautiful and pillars prevent other players from building too close to my walls (fence foundations do not do that). But even then, I have few pillars missing because snap points went nuts and those pillars (even being surrounded by walls) were considered as lone structures and were auto-demoed 12 h later. 

I don't know what better solution there could be, but I do know that preventing us from using only a pillar+ladder / pillar + ceiling will not be a solution. I like my base and I wanna keep it jerk-free, so if need be, i'll built 2x2 houses, or if need be i'll build 4x4 houses or if need be i'll build 10x10 houses to protect what I have. Those who have means to spam pillar an area...they have the means to build castles on every single pillar+ladder location.

Maybe the best solution is to finally implement Structures+ mod and give us better building mats. 

• Like 2

A couple things:

1) I'm guessing that this is because new players are often screwed over by the current system and have nowhere to build.

People might not like to admit it, but this is a 100% valid problem that WC needs to address, and over-pillaring IS the problem.     The game will slowly die otherwise if new players don't trickle in to replace retiring ones.    So it is definitely in WC's interest and our own to make sure new players have a place to build.

2) However, this blanket solution will likely cause more problems than it fixes.    Pillars as has been said protect valuable spawns (there might be zero Spinos on our island otherwise!).     They're also used to make traps, particularly on aberration for crabs.    Will all unconnected Pillars self destruct?    Or just solitary ones with a single ladder?

Frankly I think what should happen is a system similar to several Minecraft mods, which have similar problems and solutions.     People are able to claim specific areas (through various means such as a golden shovel).     It doesn't have to be in one place, but they're given a set amount of block space to claim, based on things like time played or mined amounts or exp.

For Ark I'd say make a "Tribe Flag" that can be crafted easily, and make a system to link flags to each other to surround a claimed area.     This is that tribe's claimable land amount, you can base it on time played, numbers of dinos tamed, whatever.      Flags should be indestructible as long as there are structures within the area they create.     They also should not stop wild animals from spawning.

3) I'm wondering what the definition of a "Floating" base is.    We have a base supported by pillars, which make it possible to make a level floor with ceilings.      So you have a lot of pillars underneath our base, supporting ceilings and walls to make a large cube.     The Pillars ARE supporting the ceilings, there's no spot which is not connected to the ground via a pillar...Does this count as "floating"?     Or is floating just referring to bases that aren't obviously supported in any way and would be impossible with physics?

I'll note, be very, very careful about causing people's bases to self destruct.     Suddenly losing your base, including all the storage units, tek constructs, etc and exposing tamed dinos to the outside without warning...I can't think of a more sure way to make someone leave the game for good.

3) I'm also curious what else is affected; we have a wall of Behemoth gates around our base because we've been the victims of people griefing by luring gigas (and once a titan) nearby.    Do single behemoths gates not attached to a wall decay faster too now?    What about sleeping bags next to a cave entrance or campfires or stuff built on a raft?

I feel the excessive spam has gotten worse since the turret cap was introduced, reason we spam so much, as its a determinant and time  wasting window for us, imo its one or the other, limit spam and unlimited turrets, or limit turrets  and unlimited spam, tribes on official are forced too play large scale due too how long it takes too raise Dinos ect, you ahve too protect what takes so long too do :( 

This is going to make such a mess of the game :’) I made an account just to comment, been playing Ark since release on PS4 and most the updates I love but this one... ha yeah... maybe I’ll stop playing, how’re you supposed to defend your base from raiders if you can’t layer your defences to delay them? After the 100 turret update it’s hard enough as it is to defend and so easy to raid people. Now you’d like to make it even easier for people to push bases? What a joke this is becoming. Everyone might aswell give up with PvP and play PVE, but that in itself has so many issues as mentioned above by many others.

i know that was all negative but I’m super happy at least about the small tribe servers, I’ve been wanting it since day one and my tribe and I would go back to official to play on those servers, rates are promising and no alliances and tribe limit of 6 is great! Would have pefered 8 but 6 is more suitable and balanced for people who play solo. 

1 minute ago, DeathMochine said:

This is going to make such a mess of the game :’) I made an account just to comment, been playing Ark since release on PS4 and most the updates I love but this one... ha yeah... maybe I’ll stop playing, how’re you supposed to defend your base from raiders if you can’t layer your defences to delay them? After the 100 turret update it’s hard enough as it is to defend and so easy to raid people. Now you’d like to make it even easier for people to push bases? What a joke this is becoming. Everyone might aswell give up with PvP and play PVE, but that in itself has so many issues as mentioned above by many others.

i know that was all negative but I’m super happy at least about the small tribe servers, I’ve been wanting it since day one and my tribe and I would go back to official to play on those servers, rates are promising and no alliances and tribe limit of 6 is great! Would have pefered 8 but 6 is more suitable and balanced for people who play solo. 

Isnt ark supposed to be survival game? Kinda ruins it if you get told by lifeless pillars that youre gonna be attacked.

36 minutes ago, Ree said:

I feel the excessive spam has gotten worse since the turret cap was introduced, reason we spam so much, as its a determinant and time  wasting window for us, imo its one or the other, limit spam and unlimited turrets, or limit turrets  and unlimited spam, tribes on official are forced too play large scale due too how long it takes too raise Dinos ect, you ahve too protect what takes so long too do :( 

This is so true! Ever since the added the turret limit it’s made things so much worse, they should keep the spam limited and have unlimited turrets, after all it’s easier to destroy someone’s turrets than it is to destroy foundations, I’d rather breed more dinos to soak turrets than grind C4 for days just to get close and soak in 5mins. PvP seems more boring since they made the change.