Tek Dino Storage

Jaymei

Hi All,

Was hoping to gather some feedback on an idea that has been floated around the community however I cannot find the origin.

As the title states, it's about a Tek storage area similar to an Obelisk where you would keep all your dinos rather than having a huge barn for them all and the game having to render the dinos and buildings. It would be Tek tier (maybe defeat 3 main bosses to unlock) and run from a Tek gen. If the gen became unpowered then a dino auto-decay feature would start a countdown timer of 8 hr or so.

It could hold up to 500 dinos and you would still have to feed them (very reduced rate). This would allow the structure to be endgame and allow tribes (or solo) to continue playing the game without having to spend over an hour feeding a bunch of egg layers every day. 

The structure itself could be similar in size to the Ind Forge and as its Tek, have more durability than metal. Obviously, this would become the most fortified area of a base as if this gets destroyed, the dinos inside are gone forever. This introduces an element of risk/reward to using this Tek item especially in PvP but allows players to reduce the footprint they have on a server (think remote/hidden locations).

To sum this up;

• Smaller impact on server performance as less to render
  • Smaller bases being built as no need for huge barns
  • More enjoyable gameplay - can do more than feed dinos now
  • Provides a target to beat Brood, Dragon and Mega (all alpha)
  • Can technically be implemented (similar to obelisk) just need to think of food
  • Most of the player base would welcome such a move if it improves long-term gameplay

I understand there are probably thousands of ideas like this and maybe this one has been pitched before but I struggle to see a downside to this?

@Jatheish @Jen @Jeremy Stieglitz

1) Don't make it dependent on a tek generator or far less people will use it.    You want this to be used as widely as possible to eliminate server issues

2) Need to make is a "genetic extraction and recombination" device imo that will not store dinos, but dino DNA, and periodically create eggs based on that DNA.    If you store actual dinos, someone could troll with it by suddenly releasing a ton of tamed dinos and instantly capping the server.      Instead, make this machine "eat" the dinos in question to store the DNA, and again randomly or on demand (but with a limit) create dino eggs.     Forces down the dino population by allowing egg layers to be eliminated, and as recompense gives a way to easily harvest eggs.

Nice points made.

One the first one I would still specify the Tek gen due to end game nature and it forces people to actually continue engaging with the game rather than putting all dinos in a box and logging in once every 2 weeks (or decay timer for Tek) to refresh and feed. Technically it could still be done but they would need to farm bosses to get that happening.

Point 2 is a great idea and one that never crossed my mind, however, no-one will put a 100% Giga there to never get it back. I would probably add a cooldown on removing dinos that were added. The current obelisk seems to work fine. I do like the DNA thinking though. It would provide an egg farm. Would still need to take them out should they need to mate though.

4 hours ago, Jaymei said:

, it's about a Tek storage area similar to an Obelisk where you would keep all your dinos rather than having a huge barn for them all and the game having to render the dinos and buildings.

nice.. and them still laying egg at tek storage like 1 egg per female per hour/day.. or something like that..
and we can add limit cap dino.. when they go to storage they reduce the limit server(not tribe)

the size maybe like 2 replicator or 2 clone chamber... 

1 hour ago, thomz said:

nice.. and them still laying egg at tek storage like 1 egg per female per hour/day.. or something like that..
and we can add limit cap dino.. when they go to storage they reduce the limit server(not tribe)

the size maybe like 2 replicator or 2 clone chamber... 

Reducing the server tame limit count by adding dinos into the storage sounds like a NIGHTMARE of stormy weather. Let's not do that lol. 

I do think a tek storage for dinos would resolve many issues pertaining to performance. I, however, do not believe this will resolve Egg farms and would, if anything, exacerbate the issues with tribes tapping tribe tame limit. This also isn't something I'd prefer to build on PVP if Dino's are to be deleted if the structure is destroyed. 

This is something that would definitely influence PVE player longevity though. I'd certainly grind for tek tier for this object. 

You're understating the difficulty of obtaining and keeping a tek Generator running for many of the smaller tribes.    On my Island server, we have a generator and so do many others, but we only turn it on while breeding to power the tek troughs.    Leaving it going 24/7 would be doable but a horrendous grind addition; getting element on the island entails doing 3 caves that take ~30-40 minutes each, then hunting down spinos and argents and other stuff for their beta pieces, and then finally getting together for a bossfight when we can all be online at once.     

It's fine to make players do that sometimes, but requiring it bi-weekly or such to keep the tek generator going is a terrible idea; most people would just say screw it and keep all the egg laying corps out of the machine rather than go to those lengths, it's not like farming meat or berries is hard (especially compared to farming element).    

TLDR I can farm enough meat in 5 minutes on my giga for our carnivores and berries on our bronto in slightly longer times.    It wouldn't be worth it for us to bother with a tek dino storage device if we had to put in considerably more effort to use it.

1 hour ago, Migol said:

You're understating the difficulty of obtaining and keeping a tek Generator running for many of the smaller tribes.    On my Island server, we have a generator and so do many others, but we only turn it on while breeding to power the tek troughs.    Leaving it going 24/7 would be doable but a horrendous grind addition; getting element on the island entails doing 3 caves that take ~30-40 minutes each, then hunting down spinos and argents and other stuff for their beta pieces, and then finally getting together for a bossfight when we can all be online at once.     

It's fine to make players do that sometimes, but requiring it bi-weekly or such to keep the tek generator going is a terrible idea; most people would just say screw it and keep all the egg laying corps out of the machine rather than go to those lengths, it's not like farming meat or berries is hard (especially compared to farming element).    

TLDR I can farm enough meat in 5 minutes on my giga for our carnivores and berries on our bronto in slightly longer times.    It wouldn't be worth it for us to bother with a tek dino storage device if we had to put in considerably more effort to use it.

If you take the time to do a cave run for an artifact, you should stay there and load up 8-10 artifacts for that one trip. It should only take 15-30min to get to the artifact and another couple of minutes for each additional artifact to respawn. Try to make use of your time as efficient as possible, currently we got about 1k element in stock just for running 1 generator full time. We are about to start up our second one full time.

Why does any one tribe need 500 dinos? If this is happening on a PVP server it means that server isn't seeing enough PVP action. 

I would cap this thing at 100 dinos max and a limit of 1 per tribe and cap its dino feeding at 10% better at most. Even then I don't see this as balanced.

By basically allowing all those dinos which would normally required a very very large base into a very small structure this is effectively allowing bases to be much smaller and more efficient in terms of layouts of turrets and volume of turrets. I would suggest in order to balance it the structure itself needs to be quite large, 20x20x20 at least and very expensive.

At the end of the day the only tribes that are going to really benefit from using this are the ones that need the least amount of extra bonuses - mega tribes. Small and medium tribes don't have a use for this, so I have to ask the question should the game be giving more benefits to these mega tribes which are already wrecking the game without them.

10 hours ago, LarryLafer said:

at my server (legacy before) we breed dino inside some cave...

each cave not get 30min if u bring dino. if u walk with crosbow it must . 

strong cave : other tribe breed rex inside
center cave: bring bear, make small base outside
swamp cave : breed megathrium
carno land. i breed rex inside... just bring leo then (got megalania thing)
pack cave : place baryonyx outside and small base
brute : place mosa with bed + storage , spawn inside cave.(got megalodon thing)

artifact spawn after 5min u take it. so u can wait if u want. XD

collect all artifact with quetzal with platform +storage after all small base have 20-50 artifact at storage.

spino,tyhlaleo,therizi, just some farming, grind time. hahaha

at big monkey solo can(we do at duo for care if someone DC). got 110 element . can turn on 3 month at radius 1.

and 1 teleport can include with radius 1 with tek trough.

Archived