the best overall dino?

QSIxSTATICZZ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It really depends.  You can't just have one dino, and say it's the best.  To truly survive the ark, I reccomend

these dinos:

Ankylo

Argy

Quetzal

Spino

Trike

Meg

Icthy

Sarco

Giga

Theri

Have all of them, and you're set.  However, there is one creature that trumps them all: 

On 4/1/2019 at 8:59 PM, Countrydude89 said:

The Dodo. It makes even the largest creatures defecate in sheer terror of its raw power, and overwhelming authority. 

• 7 months later...

Argy, argy argy. This thread should be renamed apart from the weight lifting, doedi swinging, ing carrying, anky supporting, beaver bearing and superior kibble giving legend. What is your next favourite dino tame. Game changer yes. Go to tame yes. Swiss army knife of ark yes. Building behemoth gates argy, most saddles argy. Farming fiber with theri, have an argy to load up. Mammoth gathering wood argy in tow to support and load up. Carry a beaver argy, doedi lift argy. Argy to move ing when trading, argy when base moving. Argy is the most important tame in Ark.

I think the "best" is elusive.  There are certain tames that make the game easier but to me less fun, like the wyvern.  At least in PvE, I found the following: before getting wyverns, the world was huge, dangerous and fun.  You really had to make good choices.  Once I got wyverns, the map size and threats decreased by an order of magnitude and became much less fun.  Granted, everything became easier and faster with wyverns, but for me Ark is the most fun when you have to be careful.  

19 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

I think the "best" is elusive.  There are certain tames that make the game easier but to me less fun, like the wyvern.  At least in PvE, I found the following: before getting wyverns, the world was huge, dangerous and fun.  You really had to make good choices.  Once I got wyverns, the map size and threats decreased by an order of magnitude and became much less fun.  Granted, everything became easier and faster with wyverns, but for me Ark is the most fun when you have to be careful.  

This is the sad reality and duality of progress. The game is always most mystical when you struggle, risk vs reward. Everyone eventually gets to the point of needing to progress faster, making it more of a numbers game.

Ive input in this thread already over the years but currently I'm loving the new Mammoth. Always had a soft spot for em, most mammals. They needed the extra abilities bad. New goal of making boss worthy mammoths that can go toe to toe with a rex army for bossing.

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2020 at 2:09 PM, d1nk said:

This is the sad reality and duality of progress. The game is always most mystical when you struggle, risk vs reward. Everyone eventually gets to the point of needing to progress faster, making it more of a numbers game.

Ive input in this thread already over the years but currently I'm loving the new Mammoth. Always had a soft spot for em, most mammals. They needed the extra abilities bad. New goal of making boss worthy mammoths that can go toe to toe with a rex army for bossing.

@d1nkthats why i think flyers should be an endgame thing and harder to get, and i say this as a pvp player

This depends on what map. The baryonyx is the most well rounded dino in the island, it can do many things but there is always something than can do one thing better. The gallimimus is faster and about as strong, the sarco is a better underwater taming mount, the thylacoleo is a better land taming mount, the megalania is better at navigating rough terrain and can easily avoid most cave threats by climbing the ceiling, the one thing the baryonyx is good at that nothing else is better than it is dealing with manta swarms when taming a basilosaurus and killing alpha megalodons.

On scorched earth the baryonyx is nonexistent so the gallimimus, terror bird, megalania and thylacoleo take it's place. Although the wyvern excells them in most situations and the carno is actually capable of killing a rock golem.

In aberration the best overall dinosaur is unarguably the rock drake, which is the best mount that you can use weapons on, although the karkinos is better for taming certain dinos than the rock drake and is immune to torpor poison, just keep in mind karkinos can't be imprinted.

On extinction the managarmr is about as good as a wyvern and all of the best dinos are the same as scorched earth except the enforcer can also climb walls and is fast although it has poop health. 

In genesis part 1 the best dino is usually the bloodstalker, but if you need something strong the magmasaur, mosa and astrocetus take it's place. But the tek hover skiff is ultimately supreme.

If you are talking about easy to get dinos that will serve you will in all stages of the game, Baryonyx (if for some reason you don't want bary or can't get it, Sarcosuchi(sarcosuchuses?) are good substitutes as they travel fast in water, but they aren't amazing at inland exploration) is definitely the creature of choice for the Island, The Center, Crystal Isles and even genesis part 1 (if you mainly stick to bog and ocean that is) as they are quite water heavy maps but with enough land to travel in between. 

Then I think an easy to get creature for Ragnarok that is good I would think is probably just your standard iguanodon or carnotaur or basically any low stat fast common creature(I don't play much ragnarok so if I'm totally wrong tell me). after that in midgame any flying creature will give you the best travel experience you could hope for

Scorched Earth is a tough one. if you want to go travelling with speed and have good protection, you should probably tame raptors or wolves, even terror birds if you want. If your thinking of still travelling but with better chance of survival and more of a caravan type thing, you should probably get some morellatops they're usually useful and they have decent damage(although the dps isn't amazing). If you're a mountain explore and are fairly experienced in midgame currently, go thylacoleo.

Valguero you got a few options. As almost anyone chooses, and I definitely think it's a good choice, no matter what stage of the game you're in, deinonychus come in handy so many times. I personally don't think bary would be a good tame to use as the water (or at least most of it) isn't spread out and instead there is just one large lake. argy is fine but actually I think ptera will do you more good simply because of its movement. If you can get a ravager and you haven't gotten a deinonychus, get it.

Aberration I can't make much decision on since I don't play it as often as other (don't kill me aberration fans plz) but by the few little test runs I've done with it Ravager isn't too hard to get but it's great at many things.

Ah Extinction. really depends on where you spawn but I'm going to talk about city because that's the best. If you don't really want to travel outside it, I actually used megaloceros a bunch of times to get around and that was quite useful. if you're thinking of going outside, two essential things: enforcers. a bunch. They're great at killing corrupted things as everyone knows, but also rexes are good. and I know I'm supposed to be talking about early game creatures but my god the amount of times I've seen rexes get stuck in the city and then I can just pepper them with arrows is truly amazing. A lot of shooting vantage points too. oh and of course pteranodon is good for city because you don't want to be travelling miles just to get to this one road thing above you.

I've got more to say on Genesis as bary is kinda, not good for lunar volcano or arctic since the fish level is at a minimum. Ok if you're in lunar and looking at this I don't think you need to read this, but guys the only really good creatures for there are the creatures you find there so mainly tek variants. arctic once again I think megaloceros earns the points for speediest across the land, but of course wolves are awesome. Lava biome is tough to decide about, because there are so many slow creatures at first I would have suggested a fairly slow creature, but basilisks are the worst to run into as they are quite fast and extremely deadly. If you're keeping to the safer zones of the lava biomes (which ARE quite safe if you have levelled fortitude a good amount) I think you'll be fine with any creature you choose from, just make sure you don't accidentally aggro thorny dragons or kentros with your tames. If you're thinking about mountain expedition you should bring a raptor and an argy. raptor for transport as it's a pretty easy to get all rounder as well as being faster than I think every other dino except gallimimus in that place, and bring an argy as they are your resource transport as I am assuming you didn't spend your time putting points into weight on your raptor

• 1 month later...

Look people. There is one animal that can tame ANY OTHER animal, has unlimited oxygen so nothing and nowhere is off limits, land or sea. Easily makes one of the most pain staking items needed for EVERYTHING, a true cave buddy that fits nearly everywhere. The ONLY thing holding this dino back is it doesnt get a pack bonus or multi seat. Who is this? The master Beelzebufo. 

Need to carry some stuff with an Argy?Bufo got you. Need a rex, allo, and with some fancy foot work and luck, a giga for a boss fight? Bufo to the rescue. How about a mosa? Yep, bufo too. Traverse the swamp witnout leeches eating you alive. You guessed it...bufo. No single animal has the capabilities the bufo does all wrapped in one. Lets not even talk about building metal and greenhouse structures. Swamp cave+bufo= more cementing paste than you could possibly carry back home.

bufo is the most underrated dino with the most to offer!

On 12/6/2020 at 2:26 AM, Qwertymine said:

Easily the Rex. Easy to tame, great stats, easily molded into travel or combat mounts, and good boss killers. Their size keeps pesky smaller dinos from agroing on you, and they have the Knockback and raw stopping power to easily juggle kill Alphas. 

A rex for travel ? No thanks.

42 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

A rex for travel ? No thanks.

Depends on the map I suppose. They've got good stam and speed if you make them a solely travel mount, with the base stats to fend off most wild threats. As long as you have a little patience and aren't on a PvP server, Rexes are good travel mounts if you know your way around. Even just the 20% speed from an imprint makes them good travelers, even more so if you pump it more. 

Archived