the best overall dino?

QSIxSTATICZZ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Theri. 

The Argy has the smithy and weight reduction ability on a lot of items but Theri farms wood, thatch, berries, meat, prime meat, fiber, silk, and a slew of other materials. Is a top notch fighter. Has a small list of other dino's that aggro on it (everything aggro's the Argy). Can enter the water even if only briefly. 

Argy has the ability to carry another dino on top of it though. 

Really there is no, one, super dino that can do it all. Theri comes closest imo though. 

As far as where you can find Argy. on the island top of redwoods, volcano, and snow area. Rag, they are everywhere from the desert, to green ob to the snow areas. Scorched earth likewise they are in numerous places. 

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Argentavis

On the right side under their attributes it shows their spawn areas on each map. 

6 hours ago, QSIxSTATICZZ said:

what do you recommend being the best overall dino?

Rex for boss dino because it is an HP tank monster, Baryonyx for cave diving and water exploration, Wyvern for travel.  The Baryonyx is hands down the best utility dino in my mind, great speed, decent bulk for a medium dino, fits in almost every cave, and it has unlimited oxygen.  You can also you the Baryonyx to power grind levels in the swamp cave by killing the massive amount of dragonflys in there.

This really depends on your play style.  I am a pve'r (Aberration), so building and exploration are my thing.  I find a pack of Ravagers is always nice to have for hunting. Anky's for gathering thatch, stone, metal, obsidian and various crystals. Spino's for fishing. Crabs for transport.  I really don't have a one go to for everything.  

Really depends what you're doing. For overall utility I'd have to agree that Argy and Theri are probably the two best choices. Spino shouldn't be underestimated either as a strong and versatile mount, as he's all-terrain, can take down pretty much anything that isn't a Giga, has good mobility, and has top-tier fishing ability.

EDIT: Note that Anky and Doed, while not necessarily versatile, are absolutely essential tames no matter what map you're playing on. And they really help the Argy shine as the Argy can quickly carry them to where they need to be.

The single best most multi role dino is the Anklo by far.

It can do the following:

• Harvest Berries
  • Harvest Thatch
  • Harvest Flint
  • Harvest Metal
  • Harvest Crystal
  • Harvest Polymer
  • Harvest Wood
  • Harvest Stone
  • Kill wild dinos with ease even T-Rex's with the right stats and a decent saddle.
  • Has a carry weight bonus on metal

Next up after the Anklo would easily be the Their and Quetz.

The Theri for mass wood, berries and meat harvesting as well as boss fights.

The Quetz for all round farming support and battle support.

• 9 months later...

If its war your after use a managarmr they fly and shoot deadly ice that freezes you off your tame. The backbone of the army should always use a daeodon and yuty. Before all this drain turrets with a turtle or golem. For farming quetzs are amazing for transport but id say a anky. For water use a barry for the tail swipe and speed. By sky use a wyvern, easy eggs on rag and not too much of a brutal raise, they are faster then pterrys, breath a effect with range and they pick up everything argentavis do. Defense is important so use reapers and velunos there, if no reapers use dilos. Every dino has its spot though. Being airborne is the biggest step so tame a pterry, place campfires down and snatch a egg. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Without a doubt the one that does the most for me is the Wyvern. As good as utility dinos like Ankies are, they can't access resources as quickly or easily as a Wyvern can. I can use a Wyvern to carry tons of building materials across Ragnarok in a coupe of minutes. You can almost go anywhere and do almost everything when you have a Wyvern. They make everything easier, and you can kill just about anything you want on the back of a Wyvern. You can't say that about many dinos. 

On 5/31/2018 at 7:02 PM, Bug80 said:

I do recall when I got my first Argy. That was a game changer.

Lately for me, I love my Thyla, as I've just gotten into caving. It's got great mobility, hunting attributes, as well.

My two favourites. Love that argy is mobile smithy, Dino carrier, good for weight for metal runs. And the quick flights.

Thylas are my go to for most things even killing wild rexes.

Archived