What's the point of the leedsichthys?

JokersHarley

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, johnm81 said:

You know the biggest irony about all of what you said is? Aquatic tames (with platform saddles) in sea combat will utterly destroy a turret boat if the player knows their stuff about naval combat in ark. But I find the biggest irony of all that of WC nerfing sea creatures with platform saddles by taking their away their ability to have turrets on them. 

If we are worried about aquatic tames, then they need to reverse that change.

I would say (in PVE) a turret boat it a lot better than a turret tame just on the principle that, pre-leeds, nothing could aggro on a raft to begin with.

Definitely need turrets on platform saddles again, though, so I can fulfill my dream of a mobile artillery battery.

11 hours ago, Scheneighnay said:

I would say (in PVE) a turret boat it a lot better than a turret tame just on the principle that, pre-leeds, nothing could aggro on a raft to begin with.

Definitely need turrets on platform saddles again, though, so I can fulfill my dream of a mobile artillery battery.

Not exactly true. Some dinos will aggro a rafts and its connected structures. Sarcos and arthopluria will. There might be more I am not sure.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 11:16 PM, SaltyMonkey said:

Because they are OP. I have so many different styles and the PvP designs make them even more OP so yes the Leeds should be able to destroy them with ease but a properly built boat can easily deter them anyway.

If boats are OP then why can they be destroyed by such easy methods such as a simple hatchet and some patience? 

5 hours ago, JokersHarley said:

If boats are OP then why can they be destroyed by such easy methods such as a simple hatchet and some patience? 

32 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

They aren't. He doesn't even play official has no clue the limitations of the game if played under official rule sets.

Because you noobs don’t know how to build them correctly - I get my designs from official players! Lol @JokersHarley you still never posted that video.

On 7/9/2019 at 11:23 PM, SaltyMonkey said:

Because you noobs don’t know how to build them correctly - I get my designs from official players! Lol @JokersHarley you still never posted that video.

The builds are well known but it takes a huge proportion of the boat structures to the point of making rafts bases non-viable. 

We have to talked about this already.

I think its time for them to go extinct . They have out lived their usefulness.  They discourage  new players from exploration . We are based on official rag so they do not effect us unless we boat raid off server. I will say they create issues for us when we want to load  up a motor battle boat to the island. 

All in all my gut reaction is they are just an annoyance.  I think people would do more ocean stuff if they were gone. 

We use motor boats a ton on Rag for server defense.  They are a great mobile firebase and quick reaction force. With no whales we have amassed a huge naval force. 

Wow, this is a long ongoing thread over a kinda hilarious idea.  I for one think the Leads are pretty great.  I decided to take a stab at small tribes (brutal), and in order to make a bunch of narcotics unmolested I made a quick raft and ventured to Herb Island.  I looked around, made sure nobody was around and quickly tamed a Parasaur.  Once done I managed to make up about 700 narcotics unmolested.  I then jumped on the raft and traveled back across those dangerous Leads infested waters.  I made it!  Man the tension though of just hoping a Leads didn't spot me and ruin all my work was priceless.  I wouldn't take that experience and feeling away as in the end it's amazing.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:50 PM, Melcreif said:

Wow, this is a long ongoing thread over a kinda hilarious idea.  I for one think the Leads are pretty great.  I decided to take a stab at small tribes (brutal), and in order to make a bunch of narcotics unmolested I made a quick raft and ventured to Herb Island.  I looked around, made sure nobody was around and quickly tamed a Parasaur.  Once done I managed to make up about 700 narcotics unmolested.  I then jumped on the raft and traveled back across those dangerous Leads infested waters.  I made it!  Man the tension though of just hoping a Leads didn't spot me and ruin all my work was priceless.  I wouldn't take that experience and feeling away as in the end it's amazing.

Yes come on here and tell us how great leeds is because it gave you a thrill from danger that ended up with you unharmed. Wonder how your opinion might be different if your story didn't end well....

Is your thrill worth shutting down and entire play style of boat bases? I think not.

On 7/19/2019 at 1:52 AM, frenchycaro said:

From my own little experience, leedsi can be easily avoid just by standing near the coast when you navigate.

Already saw some of them near the raft but as long as you don't reach the "deep sea" areas, they often leave you alone ^^

We aren't talking just about how to avoid leeds while driving a raft around. Any daft newb knows this. The issue is that it shuts down the play style of boat bases which are badly needed for new players to avoid griefer raid parties.

On 7/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, johnm81 said:

Yes come on here and tell us how great leeds is because it gave you a thrill from danger that ended up with you unharmed. Wonder how your opinion might be different if your story didn't end well....

Is your thrill worth shutting down and entire play style of boat bases? I think not.

LOL dude you think I've never lost a raft to a Leeds?  Don't be so salty I think they add alot to the game.  Also on the Island there are places you can build a boat base i you want to where Leeds don't go.  Just stay away from Herb Island and try somewhere around Carno.

2 hours ago, Melcreif said:

Also on the Island there are places you can build a boat base i you want to where Leeds don't go. 

If the water is too shallow that  the leeds can't get in there then its not out far enough to be hidden from players.  If it is deep water but no leeds spawn locations then its still no good because leeds can be lured there to take down your boats by a raider. I have done that lots of times.

16 hours ago, johnm81 said:

If the water is too shallow that  the leeds can't get in there then its not out far enough to be hidden from players.  If it is deep water but no leeds spawn locations then its still no good because leeds can be lured there to take down your boats by a raider. I have done that lots of times.

Ok then use Species X to defend from Leeds.  If your out far and hidden from players, then how are these players finding your boat?  See, the issue isn't the leeds, it's the fact that while cool, boat bases aren't really ideal ways to hide your stuff.  Your best option is to make a boat with hidden storage and park it somewhere like near Carno where beach bobs can't get it and most folks won't care.

3 hours ago, Melcreif said:

Ok then use Species X to defend from Leeds.  If your out far and hidden from players, then how are these players finding your boat?  See, the issue isn't the leeds, it's the fact that while cool, boat bases aren't really ideal ways to hide your stuff. 

I am not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp. The issue of being attacked on the move isn't the issue. There are counters to such. The issue is when you need to log off and leave your boats in a remote sea location. Plant turrets wont help based on two problems. First they have very bad LOS for below the water line attacks. So only a few psx will fire at a leeds. Secondly, leeds fish aggro boats with the highest priority and will ignore the plant turrets or even aquatic tames while sinking your raft / motor boat. 

One side note on PSX. Using them on wild setting is a very good way to wreck your boat. You will be aggroing the entire ocean as you go about sailing and amphibious npcs will clip into your boat if they aggro and charge in the direction your are sailing in as when you boat is on the move your structures will allow clipping unless you are stationary.

3 hours ago, Melcreif said:

Your best option is to make a boat with hidden storage and park it somewhere like near Carno where beach bobs can't get it and most folks won't care.

I really don't think you are knowledgeable enough to be giving advice. This statement is a good example of such. First boats with hidden storage are no longer the best option now that the majority of raiders are on to it and will just land their mana next to your boat on carno, clear out the spawn with ease, then K camera to see if you have storage boxes. They will sink it as sometimes the game will make the loot bags pop up on top of the ground for them to loot. 

Secondly the issue isn't beach bobs its raiders that use manas that jump from server to server raiding and looting as they go.

Lastly, Leeds DOES spawn up near carno islands or can be lead there. How it gets there is not important what is important is that its there sometimes.

20 hours ago, johnm81 said:

I am not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp. The issue of being attacked on the move isn't the issue. There are counters to such. The issue is when you need to log off and leave your boats in a remote sea location. Plant turrets wont help based on two problems. First they have very bad LOS for below the water line attacks. So only a few psx will fire at a leeds. Secondly, leeds fish aggro boats with the highest priority and will ignore the plant turrets or even aquatic tames while sinking your raft / motor boat. 

One side note on PSX. Using them on wild setting is a very good way to wreck your boat. You will be aggroing the entire ocean as you go about sailing and amphibious npcs will clip into your boat if they aggro and charge in the direction your are sailing in as when you boat is on the move your structures will allow clipping unless you are stationary.

I really don't think you are knowledgeable enough to be giving advice. This statement is a good example of such. First boats with hidden storage are no longer the best option now that the majority of raiders are on to it and will just land their mana next to your boat on carno, clear out the spawn with ease, then K camera to see if you have storage boxes. They will sink it as sometimes the game will make the loot bags pop up on top of the ground for them to loot. 

Secondly the issue isn't beach bobs its raiders that use manas that jump from server to server raiding and looting as they go.

Lastly, Leeds DOES spawn up near carno islands or can be lead there. How it gets there is not important what is important is that its there sometimes.

You are incorrect.  I've done this exact thing, on Small tribes no less which is a raiders haven.  I've never had someone sink a boat used like this.  Also you are incorrect, Leeds DO NOT spawn around Carno.  Could you lead one there?  Probably but if folks do that it's very rare.  Also if you are worried about Mana Raiders, the last place you want to try and hide is in a raft LOL.

55 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

I've never had someone sink a boat used like this.

What has or has not happened to you is quite irrelevant when we are talking about what is possible.  It can be done. It has been done. So because of your luck you want to leave a huge imbalance in the game... mmmkay.

57 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

Also you are incorrect, Leeds DO NOT spawn around Carno.  Could you lead one there?  Probably but if folks do that it's very rare. 

1. Yes they can spawn at carno island. I have seen it and if you want reference the spawn probability map of island you can see how wrong you are.

2. Again because it hasn't happened to you (leading a leeds there)  you think it can't happen.... logical fallacy at its worst.

1 hour ago, Melcreif said:

Also if you are worried about Mana Raiders, the last place you want to try and hide is in a raft LOL.

No boats hidden in deep water are a decent hiding spot from mana raiders due to the laggy rendering of this engine and how vulnerable rider on the mana.

24 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

What has or has not happened to you is quite irrelevant when we are talking about what is possible.  It can be done. It has been done. So because of your luck you want to leave a huge imbalance in the game... mmmkay.

1. Yes they can spawn at carno island. I have seen it and if you want reference the spawn probability map of island you can see how wrong you are.

2. Again because it hasn't happened to you (leading a leeds there)  you think it can't happen.... logical fallacy at its worst.

No boats hidden in deep water are a decent hiding spot from mana raiders due to the laggy rendering of this engine and how vulnerable rider on the mana.

You are an angry little man aren't you? LOL Ok man still, I don't support removing the Leeds.  If you are by all means put a suggestion in the suggestions forum instead of crying here and using your little condescending words.  Have a nice day.

Archived