What's the point of the leedsichthys?

JokersHarley

15 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Xbox.

I found the 6 hit thing to hold true while settings were on default and verified on YouTube from other people’s findings.

After more testing, I can also confirm that rafts are unaffected by structure resistance multipliers when taking damage from the Leeds.

Only adjusting the Leeds attack damage percentage will affect the damage applied to a raft (only possible on a PC unofficial).

My tests conclude that a Leeds does around 3,500 damage to a raft per hit, and as a raft has 20,000 health as you say, it would take 6 (rounded up from 5.7) hits to destroy it.

Does your test include watching YouTube videos from a year ago? Because I've seen those. And never once has it happened like it does in those videos. But I guess the only way to prove what I'm saying is to reinstall ark. Yippy.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, JokersHarley said:

It's not the alphas. Just plain old, level 1 leeds. Yes, it happens. I play official PvP on Xbox. Always, and I mean ALWAYS, destroys my rafts in 2 hits. Rafts only have 20,000 hp. I've had multiple people witness the quick 2 hit bs the leeds do. Hardly ever is it an alpha. But when I posted this I had just lost my raft to 2 alphas that spawned in the same spot.

The amount of hits you state it takes a normal leeds to destroy a raft is incorrect. Only alpha leeds 2 shot wooden rafts on xbox official pvp. I play on that exact same platform and know for a fact a raft at full health takes 6 hits due to the sheer amount of raft tests I've done on it for building purposes alone. If you are taking 2 shots from a non alpha that is a glitch and you need to report it to WC with a video proving what you are stating. 

Guest DJRone89
2 hours ago, JokersHarley said:

Does your test include watching YouTube videos from a year ago? Because I've seen those. And never once has it happened like it does in those videos. But I guess the only way to prove what I'm saying is to reinstall ark. Yippy.

There hasn’t been any changes to the Leeds or how it damages rafts since it was introduced to the game, so I look forward to you proving me right ;)

8 hours ago, MandaBear said:

The amount of hits you state it takes a normal leeds to destroy a raft is incorrect. Only alpha leeds 2 shot wooden rafts on xbox official pvp. I play on that exact same platform and know for a fact a raft at full health takes 6 hits due to the sheer amount of raft tests I've done on it for building purposes alone. If you are taking 2 shots from a non alpha that is a glitch and you need to report it to WC with a video proving what you are stating. 

Well it happens. I'll be recording and uploading video proof as soon as I have it. In the mean time, the game is reinstalling so I can do that.

It's definitely 6 hits for regular leeds and 2 for an alpha on vanilla settings.

I've not been sunk by one in a long time apart from alphas but that is rare, I always use k cam fully zoomed out and just under the surface to try and spot them early, I have been chased by one through open water during testing, didn't try to get to shallow water or make any turns, just kept going straight and wanted to see if it was possible to survive and it took somewhere between 15 and 20 attacks to sink me, don't know if it had anything to do with using k cam (I spun the camera around so I could see the back of the raft) but the majority of it's attacks missed.

I always keep mats on me to repair the raft or have them in a chest as you usually have enough time between attacks to let go and repair, honey also works well, if you're building a raft base then best thing to do is have sloped roofs at the rear with x plants on as they'll slow it down, wastes structure slots plus you have to wait for them to mature but will save your raft, never come across an alpha though so don't know how effective they are.  

• 3 weeks later...

Leeds are not a good solution to get rid of spammed rafts, since leeds can only swim in deep waters anybody can spam rafts in the shore and no leed will reach them.

On the other side, if the purpose is to add a threat in the waters, which is cool IMO, and at the same time get rid of unused rafts, there is absolutelly no need to make it so strong vs rafts. If a leed can kill a raft, ignoring structures, in a couple of hits, and it's also faster than the raft, then you are just trolling. Rafts cannot be used because you cannot avoid a leed, the only way to have a leed in the game and be able to use a raft is to modify the server reducing the damage the leed inflicts

Guest DJRone89
On 6/5/2018 at 6:46 AM, JokersHarley said:

Well it happens. I'll be recording and uploading video proof as soon as I have it. In the mean time, the game is reinstalling so I can do that.

Since the thread has been reignited, any progress on your video production?

I like this mentality. "I don't like something in your game that is completely avoidable. Since i don't like it you should remove it. My opinion is important because it is my opinion. I have not put any work into your game but i should still have a bigger say then you, the makers of the game, because its my opinion and my opinion is more important than anyone's. Those who agree with me are right and those who disagree with me are wrong." Keep it up champ you'll get there one day. ;)

On Saturday, June 02, 2018 at 10:12 AM, d1nk said:

The main feature of flier nerf was the clamped flier speed.. which it did. There was no reversal for the flier nerf.

Why dont you stay on topic?

Sorry but you are wrong to say that was the only affect of the change. There were several and there were partial reversal of some of the nerfs.

Am I the only one who thinks that rafts should actually be MORE dangerous?

I think that there needs to be multiple AI adjustments to both Leeds and other sea animals. Since sea animals’ aggro ranges are so enormous I’d ask WC to change it so that animals like Mosas and Megalodons wouldn’t just attack on sight, or at least would not necessarily choose the player as a target over any other sea animal. Since there are so many animals in the sea you’d still be attacked here and there, just not by every animal in render distance. How this would affect the Leeds attacking boats is obvious.

I would also like for Leeds to not be the only threat to rafts. I think the ceiling limit on Plesiosaurs and Mosasaurs should be removed so that they can attack boats. I hear you saying that this would make the transition into water much harder for early game players, however if they also modified Dino AI so that they weren’t always aggressive like I previously recommended then it would soften the blow.

I don’t think people should be able to live entirely on the sea, mainly cause irl it’s just not practical. The reason that people I have seen often choose to live on the sea is that it’s easier than on land. Making Ark an ideal game of survival would mean making living on the sea just as difficult as on land if not harder. If on servers a person living entirely on the sea needs to log out they should have to pull into shallow waters. Basically life on the sea should be a struggle. Probably moreso than it is.

P.S: notice how three weeks have passed and we still don’t have that video Harley was talking about...

On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM, prodigy1202 said:

Am I the only one who thinks that rafts should actually be MORE dangerous?

I think that there needs to be multiple AI adjustments to both Leeds and other sea animals. Since sea animals’ aggro ranges are so enormous I’d ask WC to change it so that animals like Mosas and Megalodons wouldn’t just attack on sight, or at least would not necessarily choose the player as a target over any other sea animal. Since there are so many animals in the sea you’d still be attacked here and there, just not by every animal in render distance. How this would affect the Leeds attacking boats is obvious.

I would also like for Leeds to not be the only threat to rafts. I think the ceiling limit on Plesiosaurs and Mosasaurs should be removed so that they can attack boats. I hear you saying that this would make the transition into water much harder for early game players, however if they also modified Dino AI so that they weren’t always aggressive like I previously recommended then it would soften the blow.

I don’t think people should be able to live entirely on the sea, mainly cause irl it’s just not practical. The reason that people I have seen often choose to live on the sea is that it’s easier than on land. Making Ark an ideal game of survival would mean making living on the sea just as difficult as on land if not harder. If on servers a person living entirely on the sea needs to log out they should have to pull into shallow waters. Basically life on the sea should be a struggle. Probably moreso than it is.

P.S: notice how three weeks have passed and we still don’t have that video Harley was talking about...

People didnt live at sea before. They sailed around coming to shore to resupply and sailing off. Which is highly realistic.

Ocean life attacking boats is fine but for them to ignore metal encasing is dumb. 

37 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

People didnt live at sea before. They sailed around coming to shore to resupply and sailing off.

Actually, yes they did... building floating bases out of rafts (and employing other tricks we won't discuss) allowed players the ability to quite safely live on rafts for extended periods of time.

37 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Ocean life attacking boats is fine but for them to ignore metal encasing is dumb. 

To include metal rafts is a necessary game mechanic, otherwise the problems would have simply shifted to them instead.  And frankly, considering their relative sizes, metal rafts would be about as intimidating for a Leeds to deal with as the candy coating on an M&M.

6 hours ago, johnm81 said:

People didnt live at sea before. They sailed around coming to shore to resupply and sailing off. Which is highly realistic.

Yes. They were. And yes they needed to come to shore to resuply unless they had any aquatic or semi aquatic animals with good carry weight. And people on servers just log out with their bases in the middle of then ocean in which they were previously completely safe. Now they at least need to pull into shallow water in order to guarantee they won’t be wrecked by a Leeds. Why wouldn’t ocean life ignore a metal casing? They ignore metal boats irl all the time.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, Ranger1 said:

Actually, yes they did... building floating bases out of rafts (and employing other tricks we won't discuss) 

If you call parking a boat in deep water sometimes but visiting the mainland every time land based resources were needed then fine. But I call  having your boat in deep water AND on coast when you needed resources not living at sea. I call it living both at sea and on the coast.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, Ranger1 said:

allowed players the ability to quite safely live on rafts for extended periods of time.

Safety from what? From other players? Absolutely not! Boat bases were and still are the MOST insecure bases. They had zero defenses even if you had turrets against an attacker on a boat. Safety from environment? What environmental hazard was there against bases on the mainland? Titans? Nope. Just don't have dinos on aggressive and turrets on wild. Face it bases in general have no real threats from the environment regardless where they are. The only true threat are other players and boats had the biggest disadvantage. Heck, maybe land bases need a leeds like creature to wipe them to make up for how much more secure they are from player threats compared to boat bases!

23 hours ago, prodigy1202 said:

And people on servers just log out with their bases in the middle of then ocean in which they were previously completely safe.

Completely safe... RIIIIGHT. 

Completely safe from other players who can bypass boat defenses and can raid them with the least effort compared to those comparatively ultra safe land bases!

• Volunteer Moderator
57 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

If you call parking a boat in deep water sometimes but visiting the mainland every time land based resources were needed then fine. But I call  having your boat in deep water AND on coast when you needed resources not living at sea. I call it living both at sea and on the coast.

If you live in the country and drive into the city to grab groceries every couple of weeks. 

You still live in the country. 

46 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

If you live in the country for some time then drive your mobile home into the city for some time.

You live in both the country and the city.

Errr no, if you live in the country and occasionally drive your mobile home in to visit the city (or say, pick up groceries and other supplies)... you still live in the country.  The city is not where you spend your nights, or the vast majority of your time.  Just as despite the fact that you drive in to work everyday you don't live at your work... you live at your home.

And yes, prior to the Leeds (and a few other game adjustments) an experienced raft based player with a "flexible moral compass" could get away with a variety of things that are now no longer possible.  So yes, the Leeds takes care of a number of issues, many of which are not obvious to the average player.

4 hours ago, johnm81 said:

Completely safe... RIIIIGHT. 

Completely safe from other players who can bypass boat defenses and can raid them with the least effort compared to those comparatively ultra safe land bases!

Unless you’re the server’s one resident alpha tribe there’s no such thing as an “ultra safe land base.” The raft bases meanwhile, while they may not have much in terms of raid defense can be hidden in the farthest corners of the map where large tribes have no reason to go. So yes. I am ‘riiiiiiight.’

I hate leeds because I love having a raft base, especially early game when I'm still undecided where to settle. Why they added something like leeds is infuriating. Even if rafts counts as tames and used for securing server tame cap, they can still put rafts near the shore very close to land where leeds can't reach, it just doesn't make sense.

If they want to combat raft abuse, they should add anti leeds sonar that uses  expensive materials like 1000 metals for example, even though the actual structure will be small. The backstory is that in those metals there is a small dose of material that's good for transmitting this signal. Raft abuser won't be equipping their rafts with expensive structure like that while people that actually need and use raft will. 

I really like using raft base and always have 3x2 area for cabin and another 3x2 area for dino trap, I often transport wild dino from one biome where they live to another biome across the map where my base is at (on Ragnarok server), and I learned that Carno is bugged and can clip from the trap I built in front to the cabin behind it, I ever had one Carno destroying my  raft base because of this bug, dunno if they have fixed it or not.

• 10 months later...

Going to tell you a story guys. 
Just installed ARK after a long break and went to play single player.
Because I already knew where I wanted to settle I decided to build a boat base near safe areas and then swim to desired location. Took me 4 hours to build an amazing base.
Was really proud, it actually looked like a boat and so I felt immersion like never before. And guess f**cking what. Literally took 2 seconds with no chance to escape. So I guess ARK is no longer about exploration but sitting on your poopty starting island, cause f*ck me thats why.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:08 PM, Ranger1 said:

Errr no, if you live in the country and occasionally drive your mobile home in to visit the city (or say, pick up groceries and other supplies)... you still live in the country.  The city is not where you spend your nights, or the vast majority of your time.  Just as despite the fact that you drive in to work everyday you don't live at your work... you live at your home.

And yes, prior to the Leeds (and a few other game adjustments) an experienced raft based player with a "flexible moral compass" could get away with a variety of things that are now no longer possible.  So yes, the Leeds takes care of a number of issues, many of which are not obvious to the average player.

Oh BS. If leeds was the lone balwark that stands in the way of a flood gate of exploits then why isnt ragnarok over run with them. Its because the leeds fish has no purpose in this game other than a source of pf meat.

Archived