What's the point of the leedsichthys?

JokersHarley

6 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

This is a post about preventing the Leeds so please do keep up

This is a post about Leeds in which the ill informed like yourself brought up how boats are so OP. They are not. They are in fact very balanced without the leeds. They have strengths are extreme hard counters.

...so please do keep up

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, johnm81 said:

This is a post about Leeds in which the ill informed like yourself brought up how boats are so OP. They are not. They are in fact very balanced without the leeds. They have strengths are extreme hard counters.

...so please do keep up

Just because you don’t know how to build, doesn’t mean boats aren’t OP.

43 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

I don’t play official.

omg.....

……………………………………..________
………………………………,.-’”……………….“~.,
………………………..,.-”……………………………..”-.,
…………………….,/………………………………………..”:,
…………………,?………………………………………………\,
………………./…………………………………………………..,}
……………../………………………………………………,:`^`..}
……………/……………………………………………,:”………/
…………..?…..__…………………………………..:`………../
…………./__.(…..”~-,_…………………………,:`………./
………../(_….”~,_……..”~,_………………..,:`…….._/
……….{.._$;_……”=,_…….”-,_…….,.-~-,},.~”;/….}
………..((…..*~_…….”=-._……”;,,./`…./”…………../
………….\`~,……”~.,………………..`…..}…………../
…………(….`=-,,…….`……………………(……;_,,-”
…………/.`~,……`-………………………….\……/\
………….\`~.*-,……………………………….|,./…..\,_
,,_……….}.>-._\……………………………..|………..`=~-,
…..`=~-,_\_……`\,……………………………\……………….-,
……………….`=~-,,.\,………………………….\……………….-,
…………………………..`:,,………………………`\…………._-,
……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
…………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\
……………………………..,<`.._|_,-&“…………….`

•      How about this, keep leeds and their attacking mechanic, but instead they only will attack till the boat/raft is at half or a third of its health with the excuse that the leed is "unnerved by the seemingly peculiar 'fish' that it sees, the leed acts to ensure that it lords over its territory" or something of that nature. That keeps the challenge to do boat bases and just boating in general, but it lowers the chance of the loss of everything. Alphas should keep the mentality of destroying the raft because it is an alpha, alphas do not play around so it would make sense, though alpha leeds should be that much more rare for this reason. That still leaves the boat spam problem I keep hearing about, but how about we all brainstorm possible alternative mechanics that would deal with the issue of the hoards of lifeless boats. Fyi, I am relatively new to the game and have almost exclusively played single player, so forgive me if I didn't keep any important details accounted for. I do have to say though, it would be better to work together for a better alternative rather than argue back and forth over the situation, which makes no progress in actually addressing the issues that are present.

*Guess I should make an account now since I put in my two cents* :P

11 hours ago, Faria said:
  •      How about this, keep leeds and their attacking mechanic, but instead they only will attack till the boat/raft is at half or a third of its health with the excuse that the leed is "unnerved by the seemingly peculiar 'fish' that it sees, the leed acts to ensure that it lords over its territory" or something of that nature. That keeps the challenge to do boat bases and just boating in general, but it lowers the chance of the loss of everything. Alphas should keep the mentality of destroying the raft because it is an alpha, alphas do not play around so it would make sense, though alpha leeds should be that much more rare for this reason. That still leaves the boat spam problem I keep hearing about, but how about we all brainstorm possible alternative mechanics that would deal with the issue of the hoards of lifeless boats. Fyi, I am relatively new to the game and have almost exclusively played single player, so forgive me if I didn't keep any important details accounted for. I do have to say though, it would be better to work together for a better alternative rather than argue back and forth over the situation, which makes no progress in actually addressing the issues that are present.

*Guess I should make an account now since I put in my two cents* :P

Sure but only as long as all maps have a flying creature that aggros land bases and damages all structure to a % of an entire land base in a few hits. Its attacks pass through structures so you will have to keep you turrets wasting ammo on kill wilds setting.

You know cuz land bases so OP can just build metal and almost no dinos can hurt it on nonextiction map.

Whats good for goose is good for gander.

I enjoy the big fish. It adds an extra layer of danger to the waters. THe surface megalodons are no to nearly as freaky as seeing this huge whale thing destroy your raft. Sure it’s an annoying but it’s really cool and I feel it’s ssuch a oroblem stay next the coast. It’s  not like raptors killing ya before you even spawn in

2 hours ago, catstar26 said:

I enjoy the big fish. It adds an extra layer of danger to the waters. THe surface megalodons are no to nearly as freaky as seeing this huge whale thing destroy your raft. Sure it’s an annoying but it’s really cool and I feel it’s ssuch a oroblem stay next the coast. It’s  not like raptors killing ya before you even spawn in

The problem isn't moving on a raft it is the point where the raft user wants to log out and leave is floating base in deep water to avoid griefers. Its an entire style of game play that has gone extinct on all servers except rag.

2 hours ago, Scheneighnay said:

My guess is that it exists to make rafts less dominant.

Rather than being the be-all-end-all aquatic transport solution, they're confined more to rivers and short jumps over deeper water. Then previously useless aquatic tames have more of a purpose.

Just like why flyers were nerfed.

Except rafts were already VERY weak without the leeds fish.

2 hours ago, Oldster said:

From a single player perspective the whale is preventing me from having infinite oil and fur. I now have to build a defensible base on land near the snow biome rather than simply floating a cheap wooden structure a few dozen foundations out from the beach and having free oil and fur.

There is at least one iceberg up in the Northwest you can build a mini-base on and park a decent Anky at to get plenty of oil.

....I am kind of curious how the Leeds would have an affect on your fur farming though.

On 6/12/2019 at 12:42 PM, johnm81 said:

Sure but only as long as all maps have a flying creature that aggros land bases and damages all structure to a % of an entire land base in a few hits. Its attacks pass through structures so you will have to keep you turrets wasting ammo on kill wilds setting.

You know cuz land bases so OP can just build metal and almost no dinos can hurt it on nonextiction map.

Whats good for goose is good for gander.

How about this, leeds can't damage metal rafts. Anyways, I would like to point out that logically sinking a raft is easier than smashing a wall in real life. I see what you mean though, how about highly aggressive creatures, like Rexes, will aggro on the nearest structure and won't stop attack, that way it is more fair to both land and sea bases. As I said the leed could attack due to being unnerved, whereas land dinos just won't care, to further my point. Either that or keep land/air dinos the way they are and give more restrictions to leeds. I mean, they are a real creature- needless to say long dead-, there is no need to remove it. Like, you could always just advocate the removal of the leeds attacking the rafts rather than take the creature out entirely. Anyways, for something to damage an entire land base, even massive ones would basically take something like a titanosaur to do. I mean, I just want to reach a logical compromise. If I forgot to address one of your reasons for your argument, then please do forgive me for not noticing it.

15 hours ago, Uueerdo said:

There is at least one iceberg up in the Northwest you can build a mini-base on and park a decent Anky at to get plenty of oil.

....I am kind of curious how the Leeds would have an affect on your fur farming though.

In the case of fur I'm unable to simply throw a few foundations on a raft throw up some walls and lure an entire wolf pack in. Now I have to build an outpost near the border between biomes and deal with yutys purlovias etc.

I didn't realize it but yeah I could throw an anky on the iceberg. Only ever went there for polymer...

3 hours ago, Oldster said:

In the case of fur I'm unable to simply throw a few foundations on a raft throw up some walls and lure an entire wolf pack in. Now I have to build an outpost near the border between biomes and deal with yutys purlovias etc.

Other than a few areas you have to be vigilant, the Leeds doesn't really stop that either. Most of the time if you luring land tames to a raft trap, you're already in water too shallow for the Leeds to get you in. ...and even when it is one of those spots, setting up a stationary trap doesn't have much more danger from the local wildlife than a raft trap would; my biggest issues with those are (1) littering the landscape with traps, and (2) those presence of those traps reducing nearby spawns.

3 hours ago, Oldster said:

I didn't realize it but yeah I could throw an anky on the iceberg. Only ever went there for polymer...

Yep, there is a particular iceberg up there, loaded with oil, that you can keep a little outpost on with an Anky to harvest oil and a flying mount to make polymer runs; and isolated from predators so it doesn't even need defense in a single player or pve setting. If you keep an Argent up there you can even take it around picking up nearby spawns, and dropping them into cage for farming fur or taming.

22 hours ago, Oldster said:

From a single player perspective the whale is preventing me from having infinite oil and fur. I now have to build a defensible base on land near the snow biome rather than simply floating a cheap wooden structure a few dozen foundations out from the beach and having free oil and fur.

You do know about oil pumps and sheep right?

On 6/12/2019 at 3:14 PM, Scheneighnay said:

My guess is that it exists to make rafts less dominant.

Rather than being the be-all-end-all aquatic transport solution, they're confined more to rivers and short jumps over deeper water. Then previously useless aquatic tames have more of a purpose.

Just like why flyers were nerfed.

You know the biggest irony about all of what you said is? Aquatic tames (with platform saddles) in sea combat will utterly destroy a turret boat if the player knows their stuff about naval combat in ark. But I find the biggest irony of all that of WC nerfing sea creatures with platform saddles by taking their away their ability to have turrets on them. 

If we are worried about aquatic tames, then they need to reverse that change.

Archived