What's the point of the leedsichthys?

JokersHarley

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, JokersHarley said:

Other than just straight up trolling from the game. Really. They're not necessary. They're annoying and troll ai. There's no reason to constantly add dinos that troll or update dinos to troll. There's no way of avoiding them. They need removed

Mhm, I would say it's just to be annoying while having a raft base, I mean If you think about it logically, having a raft out at sea and logging off and storing all your stuff in there, you're not really in ANY risk from the environment what-so-ever. Having the Leeds is only ONE problem and issue about having a raft base.

They exist to stop people spamming rafts everywhere/hiding raft bases at the map edge, or turreting up the sea (we had over 100 turret rafts covering the islands ocean pre leed)

They also mean you have to park your boat properly, or think about its placement in PVE as previously 1 wooden raft, 20ish foundations away from the coast = safe.

No way of avoiding them

- chuck some honey in the water and they leave you alone.....

Definitely helps get rid of spammed and abandoned rafts.

They also added the leeds around the same time as they dropped the flier nerf. Leeds can almost be seen as a raft nerf, so it seems it was part of WC's goal at the time to make traversing the map more difficult and dangerous. I don't love the way they implemented the leeds, but before them a sunken foundation stone raft was pretty much invincible from a PvE sense, which also isn't very interesting.

The Leeds is pointless and retarded.

It doesnt stop raft spam as the fish stays in stasis if no one is around AND cant get to rafts near the shore. 

The leeds was meant to stop raft spam but fail at that so the devs added a demo timer to rafts but left the fish in. It should be removed.

And for the notion of raft boats were OP is BS. Raft bases were the weakest form of bases. Breach boats bypass base boat turrets. And boat bases are no less immune to environment than a well placed land base.

Delete the fish.

1 hour ago, johnm81 said:

The Leeds is pointless and retarded.

It doesnt stop raft spam as the fish stays in stasis if no one is around AND cant get to rafts near the shore. 

The leeds was meant to stop raft spam but fail at that so the devs added a demo timer to rafts but left the fish in. It should be removed.

And for the notion of raft boats were OP is BS. Raft bases were the weakest form of bases. Breach boats bypass base boat turrets. And boat bases are no less immune to environment than a well placed land base.

Delete the fish.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but its probably not ever leaving the game unless its unofficial. The issues with raft bases were magnified back when every other person in hiding, legitimate trolling (not just pvp), and alphas blocking waterways to keep others from passing into their "zones" was using them. All of that on top of the very real raft spam that is kept in check way more than you are giving it credit for. Its easy to say at the moment that they are useless since you obviously never had many issues with them before if you even played back then. If so, I'm honestly glad to hear and am not being sarcastic there. However, you were in a minority if that is the case. I am probably the worlds biggest advocate against most nerfs in any game. Especially ark since it is already a grind fest as it is. But that was a legitimate issue as much as overpowered ptera, griffins, dragons, doed damage reduction, and wooden clubs were. I do believe they should be more rare, and equally common in all major bodies of water instead of zones, but think they hold a legit spot in the game. Due to ark not taking them out after countless posts like this one, I'd say I'm not alone in that thought process. 

I've been playing since the center was first released. There are a multitude of ways they could handle raft issues.  People still block water ways. I still see every single problem that they introduced the whale to fix. The only thing that's changed is people will shove there rafts in unbreakable rocks or cliffs instead of the edge of the world and spamming rafts to block rivers instead of patches of ocean. So it made river spawns which are arguably more vital  to get to (beaver as a good example). They would  have been better of removing  the raft instead of adding the whale.  Also the whale makes it harder for people to actually  interact with the ocean more, using rafts as hubs to explore.  Unless you have an ocean tame or scuba suit (which PvP official is almost impossible unless you suck the alphas sausage) you won't get the chance to get involved in the ocean.  You can't even say "just make a metal raft " because you need the deep ocean for the black pearls. The whale causes more problems then it solved. A better idea would be some sort of sea termite that attaches to the raft (leach style) and drains the health from it, that way active rafts arent being destroyed immediately  and abandoned rafts are being dealt with.

38 minutes ago, JokersHarley said:

I've been playing since the center was first released. There are a multitude of ways they could handle raft issues.  People still block water ways. I still see every single problem that they introduced the whale to fix. The only thing that's changed is people will shove there rafts in unbreakable rocks or cliffs instead of the edge of the world and spamming rafts to block rivers instead of patches of ocean. So it made river spawns which are arguably more vital  to get to (beaver as a good example). They would  have been better of removing  the raft instead of adding the whale.  Also the whale makes it harder for people to actually  interact with the ocean more, using rafts as hubs to explore.  Unless you have an ocean tame or scuba suit (which PvP official is almost impossible unless you suck the alphas sausage) you won't get the chance to get involved in the ocean.  You can't even say "just make a metal raft " because you need the deep ocean for the black pearls. The whale causes more problems then it solved. A better idea would be some sort of sea termite that attaches to the raft (leach style) and drains the health from it, that way active rafts arent being destroyed immediately  and abandoned rafts are being dealt with.

It's these kinds of rants that bring me back to read them LOL.  Please!!! Take this away!!! Please, make this game eaiser!!!  Please!!! Keep me from dying all the time!!! It's awesome ?

37 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

It's these kinds of rants that bring me back to read them LOL.  Please!!! Take this away!!! Please, make this game eaiser!!!  Please!!! Keep me from dying all the time!!! It's awesome ?

First of all, never once did I mention dying all the time so to use that in there is irrelevant. 

Like I said, I've been playing for a while. I think the fact that the leeds target active rafts is bs. I'm not saying there's not a problem with raft spam and all that but at the same time rafts are necessary to the game. Take the Center, for example, a map which is all separated islands where most of the water is deep enough to spawn leeds. How is one supposed to get from island to island without tames? Because tames aren't always an option. 

I'm saying remove them for the simple fact they make the game unplayable. Ark is nearly unplayable already on console. Adding or updating dinos that we have no way to combat like that is just trolling on the devs part.

Survival games aren't meant to be impossibly difficult. If I want an incredibly difficult game, I play Dark Souls. 

Ark is nearing a year of being fully released and is still broken. I'm still dealing with bugs and glitches from when I started playing 2 years ago. So the fact that they felt the leed was necessary to add and have it target active rafts is bs. On the Island, Carno and Herb are nearly always impossible to get to with a raft. And again, tames aren't always an option. 

So excuse me for pointing out that dealing with raft spam could have been handled better than adding the leed. 

Instead of being retarded, be insightful.  Not all of us have no lives like you to be able to deal with the stupid poop

Guest DJRone89

What’s the point in playing a survival game if you can completely avoid any type of threat?

Seems to me people want to play the game but feel they should complain everytime they have the slightest inconvenience.

15 hours ago, JokersHarley said:

First of all, never once did I mention dying all the time so to use that in there is irrelevant. 

Like I said, I've been playing for a while. I think the fact that the leeds target active rafts is bs. I'm not saying there's not a problem with raft spam and all that but at the same time rafts are necessary to the game. Take the Center, for example, a map which is all separated islands where most of the water is deep enough to spawn leeds. How is one supposed to get from island to island without tames? Because tames aren't always an option. 

I'm saying remove them for the simple fact they make the game unplayable. Ark is nearly unplayable already on console. Adding or updating dinos that we have no way to combat like that is just trolling on the devs part.

Survival games aren't meant to be impossibly difficult. If I want an incredibly difficult game, I play Dark Souls. 

Ark is nearing a year of being fully released and is still broken. I'm still dealing with bugs and glitches from when I started playing 2 years ago. So the fact that they felt the leed was necessary to add and have it target active rafts is bs. On the Island, Carno and Herb are nearly always impossible to get to with a raft. And again, tames aren't always an option. 

So excuse me for pointing out that dealing with raft spam could have been handled better than adding the leed. 

Instead of being retarded, be insightful.  Not all of us have no lives like you to be able to deal with the stupid poop

Ok so I have to respond!  First off I don't believe this story of the Leeds were created for getting rid of raft spam, that's just garbage. For one thing most of the rafts I see are beached and not out in the open water anyways.  2nd, sorry but you're story of not being able to get around on rafts because of the Leeds is just totally inacurate.  You bring up the Center and all the waterways and how the Leeds keep you from being able to use them.  It's NOT TRUE!!!  How do I know? A couple of months ago me and a bunch of friends decided to play on official again (shudder) and we chose the Center!  We are currently playing on a CrossArk Server and our base is on an Island!!!  We used rafts in the beginning, even made a little raft that we encased in metal so we could drive it over to Tropical Island South to park where we could trap and kill alpha rapters to help us level up.  Did we have to be careful? Of course! But who cares?  We have Rex's on our Island now, not sure if we used rafts to get them there or not but the point is the Leeds make things interesting out on the waters and I really hope they keep them there and don't nerf them like they do everything else!!

this is a rather pointless question to ask alot of the dinos seem to just be intentionally infuriating or at least have annoying blatantly overpowered abilities when theyre wild like pegos icthyornis jellyfish troodon microraptor baryonyx raptors theris dimorphodon gigas leedsicthys or the just straight up pointless liopleurodon

9 hours ago, Melcreif said:

Ok so I have to respond!  First off I don't believe this story of the Leeds were created for getting rid of raft spam, that's just garbage. For one thing most of the rafts I see are beached and not out in the open water anyways.  2nd, sorry but you're story of not being able to get around on rafts because of the Leeds is just totally inacurate.  You bring up the Center and all the waterways and how the Leeds keep you from being able to use them.  It's NOT TRUE!!!  How do I know? A couple of months ago me and a bunch of friends decided to play on official again (shudder) and we chose the Center!  We are currently playing on a CrossArk Server and our base is on an Island!!!  We used rafts in the beginning, even made a little raft that we encased in metal so we could drive it over to Tropical Island South to park where we could trap and kill alpha rapters to help us level up.  Did we have to be careful? Of course! But who cares?  We have Rex's on our Island now, not sure if we used rafts to get them there or not but the point is the Leeds make things interesting out on the waters and I really hope they keep them there and don't nerf them like they do everything else!!

Didn't they already nerf the leedsichthys since they can only spawn at level 1 now?  I was really pissed when they first introduced them since I do so much raft travel and raft taming, but they do add some nice variety to the game.  The Center is just broken when it comes to these stupid things, they shouldn't be spawning in 8 feet of water and in massive numbers like they do on that map (not that that is the only thing wrong with that map).  I wish more sea creatures attacked rafts, it would be interesting to see mosasaurs and plesiosaurs attacking rafts, especially since you know, in real life they breath air so they should need to go to the surface.  The Motorboat makes dodging leedsichthys a piece of cake, however, I feel like they should introduce a mechanic where sea creatures can accidentally beach themselves if they get too close to shore.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:58 AM, iTheActiveWizz said:

Mhm, I would say it's just to be annoying while having a raft base, I mean If you think about it logically, having a raft out at sea and logging off and storing all your stuff in there, you're not really in ANY risk from the environment what-so-ever. Having the Leeds is only ONE problem and issue about having a raft base.

Yep. Raft bases were op early game. safe from everything and out of the way from bigger tribes. Still, hate that raptoring whale tho. I still think there should be some way to avoid them while still keeping them as a threat. 

Archived