Tamed Reaper King Worth?

MayonnaisePlease

I play pve, was wondering if Reaper Kings are worth owning. Will most likely use it for meat runs and such lol.. You think a reaper is any better than a rex, or is it between the spino and rex in terms of usefulness? And flawlessly take down an alpha rex on one? They look cool but ive heard their melee isn't too amazing.

to my understanding you will pay more for a reaper then you will a giga. you have to get impregnated by a reaper queen and gain exp to level it up before its born and you still have to raise it, at least this is what im told. I want one but they ar3e too pricey so ill have to wait until I am able to do it for myself.

Reapers are fun and are actually easy to raise, but an average reaper isn't super strong. A raised rex is gonna be buff af, but reaper stats are random from king to king. I have a reaper with over 900% melee. He is a beast, but I had to raise like 14 of them to get an amazing one. Since you can't breed kings getting a bunch of really stacked reapers is unlikely. Kings have more uses than just meat running, wich is why I prefer them over rexs.

Someone had posted comparison in between Reaper King and Rex in another thread, but I am having a hard time trying to find it. (If anyone can link the thread it would be great)

It depends on your taste, really. Reaper King can't breed, and thus can never get any better mutation than what the queen usually have based on the embryo you are impregnated by, including "level efficiency" (+74 max). Rex on the other hand, can breed, and their offspring can mutate, possibly up to a max of 6 stat mutation and other colors.The only way you can get an "out of natural color" color is through events, and even then, its a gamble for Reaper King if you wanna do that way since Queens only has coded color region; they do not have an active color region on themselves.

Reaper King has many uses, including grounding a flying dino, sweeping away at most dino if surrounded, and hell, even jump like Procoptodon and Karkinos, whereas Rex can just climb up and roar to make most weak dino and players poop, stopping whatever the dino was doing earlier. But their sheer tail size are more annoying than Rex, which means you need to either find an isolated zone for reaper king to stay there without movement hinderance or tell it to bury itself. (Only the tribe can see the mound of dirt; unless you have a dire wolf to sniff it out... in anywhere but aberration. Drakes can also sense its presence, but unlike direwolf, can't exactly tell where, only know its around.)

They are easy and yet tedious for first timers to raise. They lose hunger if they attack, which is something that needs to take note of since they may refuse to eat... not to mention at baby, they can't hear or see, only smell, and thus will always wander until they are juveniles. 

In both cases, they eat a lot of meat throughout their growth processes.

• 2 months later...

I find the reaper really usefull for getting nameless venom and meat. Its great for killing karkino and basilisk alphas. They're better for meat runs than a rex because of their mobility (but i dont like comparing aberration dinos to dinos that has nothing to do on aberration. If you're cheating you might as well use a wyvern that surpasses rex and reaper in all of the above) .

They're really easy to "tame" if you got a good rock drake. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is outdated. I just wanted to say, I am looking into getting a reaper, simply for the tactical hide aspect and they look awesome.

I use a giga to farm meat. far surpasses a rex in this department. I do love my rex.. but a giga and meat farming is stupid simple. and on x2 it takes 15 minutes to fill 21 fridges.

( I don't have tek yet-- no tek troughs, so I use a ton of fridges)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, GoodAngel34 said:

actually reaper king can be usefull and worthy but some point its soo weak if u have time breed the reaper king but if u dont have i think thats not nessesary

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about "soo weak"?, their health pool is pretty high and melee damage is really good, and no there is no breeding them so that is misinformation.

As for PvE, well that are okay depending on what you are doing, mostly they are excellent for PvP in many aspects one of the most notable is bringing down flyers which takes some skill and luck.

I had a few that I lost that were high level.  I currently only have two, one blue event colored which has a funny story behind it and one regular color.  I'm hoping for another event one down the road.

One thing I saw no one mentioned is that a good reaper can take rock drake hoards for a LONG time before needing to heal. They can navigate every bit of the rock drake nests if you learn to be skillful with their jump. It is the ONLY way I get rock drake eggs now. Like, seriously, there could not be a hoard of drakes big enough to turn my excitement into fear/worry/panic. That was never the case with any other mount. I will keep the hair on my head longer thanks to having this mount, lol.

Reapers are really easy to get and to raise. The baby phase is honestly the easiest part. Before giving birth, fill your inventory with about 2 troughs of meat. Once it's born, imprint and wait for the buff to wear off so it will kill you. It will steal your entire inventory and not need checked on until it's a Juvi. I think they're worth it if you don't have the time to breed god tier rex's or search for super saddles. Plus yeah, they look cool and have other utility.

On 5/27/2018 at 11:54 PM, MayonnaisePlease said:

I play pve, was wondering if Reaper Kings are worth owning. Will most likely use it for meat runs and such lol.. You think a reaper is any better than a rex, or is it between the spino and rex in terms of usefulness? And flawlessly take down an alpha rex on one? They look cool but ive heard their melee isn't too amazing.

Damage: Rex base dmg is 62, Reaper King base dmg is 75, and the Rex attacks faster than the King does (Rex attacks approximately once every 4/5 of a second, the King attacks exactly 1 time a second).  To test their actual output, I loaded singleplayer and moved a fully imprinted King to SE from Abb.  I spawned in a male and female Rex, amped up breeding, and hatched the egg.  I imprinted it fully, matured it immediately, and put a 101 armor saddle on it.  I set both dinos to 593% melee damage.  Training dummies are made of thatch, so damage numbers are way skewed and higher than if you were fighting a dinosaur but are good for testing purposes.  The Rex and the King at nearly 600% melee damage are less than 1% different in DPS (6625 VS 6678, difference being 53 so about .8% difference, negligible), so they are essentially the same dps.  Due to breeding/mutations the Rex can achieve more damage than the -AVERAGE- King can, since Rexs are regularly higher than 600% at post-imprint levels if you buy someones crap off the forums.

Resistance/Extras:  It is worth noting that the Rex can achieve more damage reduction than the King can because of imprint AND saddle (if you are above approximately a 90-armor saddle on the Rex).  The King has a great deal of usefulness due to its maneuverability and extra attacks.Also, when under the effect of a light-pet Reaper Kings and Queens take full damage.  When the light is turned off, they take 90% reduced damage.  Stacking that with imprint you have a good deal of damage reduction with no saddle.

Rex has a bite, saddle, and the poop-roar (fun for PvP but otherwise useless).  King has a bite, can jump, turns quicker, and has 2 additional tail-attacks:  A spin-move that knocks things back quite far, and a projectile that slows and can ground fliers.  Getting around easier is great on a King, they are tough, and they fight well.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:04 AM, timmyboyhd said:

to my understanding you will pay more for a reaper then you will a giga. you have to get impregnated by a reaper queen and gain exp to level it up before its born and you still have to raise it, at least this is what im told. I want one but they ar3e too pricey so ill have to wait until I am able to do it for myself.

If you're paying for it, don't even bother.  Being personally imprinted on these is huge, it provides a ramshackle saddle's worth of damage reduction not to mention the damage buff.  Without the extra 30%, you are better off doing something else.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:22 AM, TheDonn said:

If you're paying for it, don't even bother.  Being personally imprinted on these is huge, it provides a ramshackle saddle's worth of damage reduction not to mention the damage buff.  Without the extra 30%, you are better off doing something else.

I really don't quite get the point of people buying Reaper Kings when they should be trying to snag one from the Queen's fertile tail just so they can imprint these radioactive alien-like creatures, unless you are telling me that you just want its trophy colors. Also, if they get unowned by whatever reason, they can't be claimed back if you are not the one that it burst out from, which is irritating.

In my experience they are more useful for utility purposes than for the actual strength.

Because they don't use saddles they don't get the armor from having them. This means that they tend to take more damage. They are also light sensitive and will take vulnerability from your light pets just like the queens do when you fight them in the halls of the reaper.

The knock back on the tail swipe, the ranged attack, the ability to burrow, and the jump make them far more mobile and utilitarian than the more tanky megas on the Aberation map.  So they have uses, but they aren't your brute strength from a Rex. 

2 hours ago, Vaculity said:

I really don't quite get the point of people buying Reaper Kings when they should be trying to snag one from the Queen's fertile tail just so they can imprint these radioactive alien-like creatures, unless you are telling me that you just want its trophy colors. Also, if they get unowned by whatever reason, they can't be claimed back if you are not the one that it burst out from, which is irritating.

I never understood the unclaiming mechanic, because any of them that would be sold would be unclaimed unless the salesperson server-transferred and got in the target buyer's tribe, and then left server without unclaiming the Reaper.  I'm genuinely curious about this.

1 hour ago, V1kingraider said:

In my experience they are more useful for utility purposes than for the actual strength.

Because they don't use saddles they don't get the armor from having them. This means that they tend to take more damage. They are also light sensitive and will take vulnerability from your light pets just like the queens do when you fight them in the halls of the reaper.

The knock back on the tail swipe, the ranged attack, the ability to burrow, and the jump make them far more mobile and utilitarian than the more tanky megas on the Aberation map.  So they have uses, but they aren't your brute strength from a Rex. 

Agreed.  The damage reduction (provided the Reaper isn't hit with lightpet) is better on a Reaper until higher-level saddles, but most people have better Mega/Rex saddles, or at least an available BP to make them.

Fairly new to AB, however my tribe mate has a nice high level Reaper that we use. Again keep in mind I have not used a mega or Rex on abb yet, but it's hard to imagine and easier Dino to get meat and chitin for making cementing paste. I killed an alpha 150 crab and didn't even take 1/4 Health off. Obviously I haven't experienced all the mechanics of damage from light pets Etc but for basic meat runs and chitin runs in the green zone they rule. Especially for the speed because of the jumping.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:14 AM, TheDonn said:

I never understood the unclaiming mechanic, because any of them that would be sold would be unclaimed unless the salesperson server-transferred and got in the target buyer's tribe, and then left server without unclaiming the Reaper.  I'm genuinely curious about this.

In a sense, trading a Reaper King is ridiculously tedious. Its not like trying to "buy" other dino through letting the other tribe claiming it. The birthgiver have to personally enter the tribe to claim Reaper King.

Reapers are an incredibly impressive mount to have on the ark and can make your life a lot easier on the arks you may live on. I have over 20+ reapers to this day, and I can assure you that there is no other mount id rather have. Reapers are incredibly tanky without a light on it, so yes it could very well take on a alpha rex or any alphas for that matter without losing a quarter of its health. I used to farm death worms on scorched the same way. Think of a reaper as a rex with an incredibly good ascendant saddle that has 2 unique abilities and can bunny hop like a kangaroo without taking fall damage. If you are looking at the average good reaper that people use on PVE they come out about lvl 190+ with about 20k+ health and 320+ mel base after imprint of 89% or higher. Imprint does play a huge role in the reaper itself so buying one off of other people or cloning them for that matter is usually not the way you want to go unless your a collector. Reapers are good for taking down almost anything you might want to fight. Want to reaper queen hunt? stick a light pet on your shoulder and have fun shreading them, want to go into the drake or wyvern pits? Go for it, the reaper can climb out of both of them and clear them of drakes/wyverns with ease (use the anti-air tail attack for wyverns). Want to bail on a fight you can't win when your reapers health is low? jump off and burry your reaper to keep him safe from taking any more forms of damage, and come back to him once he's healed up. Hell I even used my reaper to traverse the winter landscapes of ragnarok in search of ice wyverns. Their uses are endless and their stats are incredibly good for the most part. The only things I have seen a reaper unable to do is 1v1 a giga (because of bleed stack not the gigas actual damage, reapers could out-tank gigas at low levels if they didn't have the bleed effect). They also can't fight water dinos due to their inability to dive. Other than those two things reapers are amazing mounts so yes it is worth getting one on PVE.

Archived