impending dino overpopulation on legacy pve

HiImZech

as more and more server goes down, eventually we may very likely run into an issue where there are not enough space for anyone on any legacy server to tame/hatch a new dino.

like the mad titan I gave this a thought, and I came up with an idea.

since save files will be made available for all legacy pve server wouldn't it be good if I could transfer some of my not frequently used dino (aka memoirs) to one that is going to get wiped, and I'll keep them through the save? I can always load them on sp/rented server and then transfer it back.

but this raises a question: how far before the wipe is the save file? I want to avoid maintaining (feeding) these dinos on the decommissioning server and at the same time I don't want them to get wiped because I transferred too late. I didn't have the chance to check that on the past 2 migration and I need to prepare in case my server gets picked for the 4th.

any bit of information or discussion about what you would do to avoid this issue on your server is appreciated ❤️

8 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

There is no point if you continue to play on legacy server.

Well legacy people know its all going to end sooner or later. Maybe someone has a sentimental tame they want to keep, or some breeding lines if they wish to one day play SP or an unofficial.

To argue 'no point' is moot imho because its legacy. The value is in who holds it I guess

15 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Its time to bid farewell to dear legacy and go with the flow. All you are doing is trying to prolong the inevitable. The more time you waste playing legacy the more you fall behind.

Prolonging the inevitable is also true for New official as well. Those servers will not run forever and you are gaining probably a couple years. If you play legacy to the end all your work will end up in the last save and you can then have it for single-player set as you choose.  You will not fall behind playing Legacy as New official still has no caught up to Legacy and instead you will be grinding with crappier Dino's. If instead, you wait people will breed them closer to where Legacy was and then you can acquire them starting way ahead of those that jumped in before you. 

7 hours ago, Cinnamongod said:

Prolonging the inevitable is also true for New official as well. Those servers will not run forever and you are gaining probably a couple years. If you play legacy to the end all your work will end up in the last save and you can then have it for single-player set as you choose.  You will not fall behind playing Legacy as New official still has no caught up to Legacy and instead you will be grinding with crappier Dino's. If instead, you wait people will breed them closer to where Legacy was and then you can acquire them starting way ahead of those that jumped in before you. 

Well if you enjoy playing "single player" in an online environment ie by yourself on a dead server, then by all means keep playing Legacy "to the end".

Since everyone is going off-topic here;

Why is it that every time someone asks a question about legacy servers, people come in and bash on that player, instead of either answering the questions or ignoring the topic because it's not their concern?

If you don't have anything helpful to say, just leave this thread now, and don't waste your time discussing it. Unless you enjoy beating a dead Horse.

Legacy players have decided to play legacy and are well aware of the pros and cons. I play legacy, I'm happy here = not a waste of time. I don't go around commenting on threads that complain about pillaring and tame cap, and tell people to join legacy servers because that's not such a big issue here. 

Q: When do I have to transfer my dinos and to which server, so I can download a savefile in which they will be stored?

A: the saves have usually been taken on the day of the announcement, but last time, if I remember correctly, there was a second save available from the day just before the wipe. There are also saves from servers that have not been deleted yet, your dinos might already be safe somewhere. If your server is on the kill list, and you want to move, do it immediately. The save will contain your stuff (unless WC messes something up).

8 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Well if you enjoy playing "single player" in an online environment ie by yourself on a dead server, then by all means keep playing Legacy "to the end".

Single player is not an "online environment". Single player is playing by yourself so it can not be described as "Dead". When you run save in single player you can make every structure and Dino yours by console commands. 90% of Ark is played solo anyways unless you spend all of your time leeching off of others by begging for them to do everything for you. There is no drama in Single player and no pillaring issues. Everything will be exactly where you left it and time freezes when not in game. No online servers will last forever single player is the best option for longevity. Most importantly all of your efforts are saved for you to enjoy whenever you please. When you dump thousands of hours into your game why would you just want to abandon it? WC is doing what the majority of game companies would not do by giving access to game saves and it awesome.

no clue how did people come to the conclusion I want to transfer them back to an official server...

also no clue how people assume the legacy servers are dead when there's a list of servers that will not be getting wiped anytime soon

also no idea why this is about legacy vs new when I'm talking about save file...

a day just before the wipe. hmm. so I guess 2 days before wipe is a good time to move those dinos there

1 hour ago, HiImZech said:

no clue how did people come to the conclusion I want to transfer them back to an official server...

also no clue how people assume the legacy servers are dead when there's a list of servers that will not be getting wiped anytime soon

also no idea why this is about legacy vs new when I'm talking about save file...

a day just before the wipe. hmm. so I guess 2 days before wipe is a good time to move those dinos there

Well you did say to transfer them from legacy save to sp/unofficial then transfer back. I guess Legacy is still a hot issue around here haha :P 

You basically just want to get some of your dinos to your save files to keep (on sp) . Correct? 

5 hours ago, HiImZech said:

I'm not 100% sure, if you're on a server that isn't on the kill list I'd rather not risk transfering them to a server that is going to be deleted.

If your nostalgic tames are old; from before last wipe, better check the save files that are already available. There are save files from different dates in the list. Maybe they are already safe.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:17 PM, HiImZech said:

as more and more server goes down, eventually we may very likely run into an issue where there are not enough space for anyone on any legacy server to tame/hatch a new dino.

for official legacy pve server there's no shortage of new players as well thanks to overpopulation and pillaring in the new servers. so this line is telling you the scope of the problem: eventually legacy server will face the same overpopulation issue as official server.

like the mad titan I gave this a thought, and I came up with an idea.

referencing thanos but umm nothing interesting here

since save files will be made available for all legacy pve server wouldn't it be good if I could transfer some of my not frequently used dino (aka memoirs) to one that is going to get wiped, and I'll keep them through the save? I can always load them on sp/rented server and then transfer it back.

referencing the plan thanos had, which is to send half my dinos into the save file (how the hell did I get 4000 in the first place D:) by transferring them to a server that is going to get wiped, therefore reducing the numbers on my current server and also keeping their data OFFLINE.

but this raises a question: how far before the wipe is the save file? I want to avoid maintaining (feeding) these dinos on the decommissioning server and at the same time I don't want them to get wiped because I transferred too late. I didn't have the chance to check that on the past 2 migration and I need to prepare in case my server gets picked for the 4th.

I just want to know what is the timeframe for me to execute this plan without the need to feed these dinos AND avoid them getting deleted because I moved my dinos too late

any bit of information or discussion about what you would do to avoid this issue on your server is appreciated ❤️

where the discussion starts

I hope this is helpful to understand what I'm trying to say xD

yes you still can have over 500 dinos if you didn't kill any during the great cull. you just can't tame more. and no my server was not affected by the dino cap at all so we all didn't understand how and why this was needed. if a rough number was needed we had 3 mega tribes with us having more than 4000 dinos at least. most of the dilos because there's nothing more entertaining than watching whatever nonsense people dropped into my base and gets shredded by 1000 dilos xD 

oh btw they will float above the dilos. *hint hint*

why I continue to play on pve legacy server. long post ahead so turn off the quote if you're not interested :3

I've started playing ark since 2nd week of launch. I remembered on that very day they had a patch to add ptera into the game.

ark started off well for me but it quickly devolved into ark: overcoming bugs evolved. many people left. so I'm left alone and in a bit of a predicament: throw away my 1 year of progress and friendship or keep on adapting.

I chose to adapt.

being a programmer myself, who also believes all games are software and software requires testing, I played on. you can say I challenge every logic in game without using tools (that means not using 3rd party software to hack. purely game mechanics). this is something you cannot do on pvp server because all your attempts will get wiped by some other tribe who can never understand why do you need a raft that has a slanted foundation (because you can now point your plant turret at things below. this was before you are allowed to build turrets underwater) or why do you have to wall off the area under the red obelisk (because they delete dinos...rip 3 sarcos 1 plessy 1 raft)

so this is where I find my "fun". its entertaining to find weird logic in game (check the pc bugs section. you can find me there.) and at the same time I get to practice how to spot a bug/logic error in the codes (by being observant and questioning things). you also find ways to circumvent things. sadly the devs don't like human cleverness to be a part of the gameplay experience...

ark is a game. ark is not something you can put on your resume to help you get a better wage or a better position. but the experience from ark that follows me after I'm done makes me a better thinker.

I remember one of my greatest achievement was to find out how to build octagons way before anybody on youtube did. of course this can be discredited, but I didn't need anyone to believe me for this. it happened when I was trying to place fences on the ground and they somehow snap to the ceiling above, then while I was going to put down walls and they snap to that foundation. xD

one of my most intentional bug testing was to merge with other tribes. back then the dev announced they fixed the tribe merging bug, and we tested that out. it's. not. fixed. even until this day it's still not fixed. all GMs who came and tried said they can't do a thing unless I quit my current tribe and join his, so my tribe gets a proper reset. I have honorable tribemates who no longer plays so I didn't accept their proposal. I tell ya this is probably one of the reason why there's a seperate official server cluster. to avoid tribes like mine screwing everyone up by merging with another tribe xD

I did try to apply for the volunteer tester thing but they didn't accept me xD

2 hours ago, Weiss said:

I'm not 100% sure, if you're on a server that isn't on the kill list I'd rather not risk transfering them to a server that is going to be deleted.

If your nostalgic tames are old; from before last wipe, better check the save files that are already available. There are save files from different dates in the list. Maybe they are already safe.

yea but there's always going to be new nostalgia dinos you get what i mean? xD

Archived