What the Extinction DLC is going to be...

prodigy1202

The Ark Extinction DLC is not going to be at all what anybody expects it to be like. There have been a whole host of hints regarding what we can expect this DLC to look like. The first hint is in the following video by Anthomnia. You don't need to watch the whole video. Just skip to 15:50. That's where he reveals a supposed map leak.

"The zones that you're seeing right now that...look like they'd be water: I believe, and a couple of people on my discord server believe that that is actually molten element or some kind of element inside inside the planet or on the surface of it. It's not water." -Anthomnia

I'll have to disagree. That is, in fact water. I believe this because of what the Extinction DLC is going to be. The Extinction DLC will be a MOSTLY AQUATIC DLC. Many people have been asking for an overhaul of Ark's underwater environments and a diversification of its oceans. This DLC will be the answer to that. Now you may be thinking "What evidence could there possibly be for that!?" To be honest, there isn't much, however if you go on the Ark wiki and look at the section that says "Upcoming Features" there are many features that could very much be added in what would be an underwater DLC. Under the Weapons section "Torpedoes" are mentioned, under the Environment section, "more underwater harvestables" are mentioned. I don't really know how you would fit more harvestables into the base game without adding a significant amount of items that would require those resources to craft, therefore a mostly underwater DLC would be logical. Now these two things alone wouldn't make anybody look twice. Here's the clincher: under the Map section it mentions a "Sunken Obelisk with Underwater Boss." Does anybody actually think this would be added into the base game? Where would there be room?! Judging by the past two DLC's we know that a new boss warrants a DLC. My final piece of supporting evidence is the fact that before the Aberration DLC was released, under this same section I believe that there used to be something referring to a broken obelisk, which then turned into what we know as Aberration. I’m  not entirely certain in that, though. It oils be my mind playing tricks on me. The Extinction DLC is when Studio WildCard will take the opportunity to create diverse and spectacular underwater environments with lots of smaller islands all around the map. Just knowing this we can already take some pretty good guesses as to which creatures will also be included on the map.

Definitely the following either because they're underwater dinos and there's no obvious reason to exclude them or because they are the best/only dino that harvests a specific resource: 

Ankylosaurus               Ammonite               Angler               Baryonyx               Basilosaurus               Beelzebufo               Carbonemys               Castoroides               Cnidaria               Ceolocanth

Diplocaulus                  Doedicurus              Dunkleosteus  Electrophorus      Eurypterid                   Giant Bee                    Hesperornis               Ichthyornis                 Ichthyosaurus    Kaprosuchus     

Leedsicthys                  Liopleurodon          Manta                Megalodon          Mosasaurus               Otter                             Pelagornis                 Piranha                       Plesiosaurus       Salmon               

Sarco                             Spino                        Trilobite             Tusoteuthis

Probably the following:

-Achatina, Dimetrodon, Kairuku, Leech: Often seen near water.

-Araneo, Arthropluera, Dung Beetle, Megalania, Onyc, Pulminoscorpius, Titanoboa: I at first figured that these guys would be a definite, however since the Obelisk on this map would be underwater, it makes sense that the caves would be as well, which means that it is possible (though not probable) that most common cave creatures would not appear on this map at all. That's the reason they're only a 'probably' rather than a 'definitely.'

-Archaeopteryx, Terror Bird: No obvious reason to exclude it. Can make transport across some bodies of water easier.

-Compy, Dimorphodon,Mesopithecus, Pegomastax: Easy to transport across large bodies of water since it's able to be carried on a player's shoulder.

-Direbear: Although it is not particularly fast in water, Direbears are technically amphibious due to their large oxygen stat. Their lack of speed in water is the main reason that they're only a 'probably.'

-Dodo, Meganeura, Titanomyrma: No obvious reason to exclude it

-Carno, Oviraptor, Parasaur, Phiomia, Procoptodon, Raptor, Trike, Stego, Troodon: Fills a very unique niche. No obvious reason to exclude it.

Totally Unsure:

Allosaurus               Chalicotherium               Daeodon               Dilo               Direwolf               Gigantopithecus               Hyaenodon               Iguanodon               Kentrosaurus               Lystrosaurus       

Megaloceros          Megalosaurus                 Megatherium       Microraptor  Ovis                      Pachy                                 Pachyrhino               Purlovia                    Yutyrannus

Aberration Creatures (other than The Nameless and Reapers): Some Aberration creatures would actually make sense in an aquatic map such as lamprays and Karkinos, however so many of these animals seem to be bioluminescent/very adapted to a very specific environment. Especially the shoulder pets.

Fliers: I'm unsure as to whether WildCard will decide to include all of the usual fliers (Ptera, Argy, Tape, Quetzal) in this DLC. It would make sense if they didn't because they'd likely want to make an aquatic DLC more...ya know...aquatic. The downside to that is that I could definitely see them getting a lot of backlash from the fanbase about disregarding fliers again. (As I expressed above, I HIGHLY doubt that they'd leave Pelagornis out of an aquatic DLC, however the other fliers are all...well...wildcards BADUM BUMP NOTSORRY- ahem...anyway)

Probably not: These dinos would be too big of a burden to transport on a map layout that is mostly separate islands either because of size, their lack of aptitude in swimming, or because they're usually meant to be good for land transport, a niche that will not be useful in this DLC. 

Bronto               Diplodocus               Equus               Gallimimus               Giga               Mammoth              Moschops               Paracer               Rex               Sabertooth               Therizino               Thyla

Titanosaur       Woolly Rhino

Definitely not: 

Scorched Earth Dinos: It just doesn't make sense for something that lives in a place as dry as SE to also be able to exist in a place as damp as the Extinction DLC. This also includes Wyverns. There's not a lot of room on the map for an above ground Canyon for the Wyvern eggs to be kept in.

The Nameless and Reapers: These creatures are anomalies directly connected to the transformation of Rockwell into the Element-filled monster we all know and hate. Therefore there'd be no reason for them to be on Earth (which is where the DLC will be occuring in case you weren't aware).

Not sure that fliers won't be in an aquatic DLC. If they finally allow fliers to swim or dive (pteranodon and others...) that could be the perfect time to implement it. Everybody know that pteranodon and other fliers can dive or at least float on the water like pelagornis. I dont know why the drake can both "fly" and swim but other creatures can't... 

Another good things to implement would be the ability to beached for marine creatures and even slowly move on ground for some. Would be useful especially in combo if they finally allow some predators jumping out of water to catch flyers or creatures on the beach (mosa, megalodon...?) 

This DLC would be awesome if the focus is about underwater creatures AND fliers as both kind of creatures are not really developped. Giving more underwater life and more flying death. Yes some dangerous/aggressive fliers should be a thing, it would also force players not to stay in the air in an aquatic DLC. Imagine you're flying and then attacked and fall in the water... would be interesting. 

By the way, thanks for this thread, I never thought of it but now, looking at the proof, it seems so obvious ! 

A very specific game mechanic theme had popped up in the last DevKit update (from just after the TLC Phase 1 release). Its creatures with mechanics that are based off of the time of day. I noticed it for the Para which has a new DieAtNight variant and Trike which has a new DieAtDay variant. Combine this with a recent modding tutorial contest which had the subject of making a material that was dependent on the time of day. My suspicion is whatever Extinction is going to be, its going to have lots of time-based mechanics like these built in throughout.

1E6181AC-D919-41D6-86A9-84D40F628007.thumb.png.fe03fd3e285a471c43fa85f767d46c81.png

D4715EED-9A5B-412F-A062-4A86E6E383E8.thumb.jpeg.8f2146dd5b5913abd9b802d38579571e.jpeg

Yeah, I ain’t seeing any water. Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE a DLC focused around island hopping and life on the seas, but I don’t really expect we’re going to be getting it on a post apocalyptic wasteland planet full of mutant creatures. My guess is it’ll be like a mix of the aberration surface biome and  SE, except without instant death fire every day (it seems earth still has an atmosphere, albeit a somewhat thin one)

My guess as to what the mystery liquid is: Lava. This is gonna be a fire themed map, with ash everywhere (including clouds that choke you) volcanic eruptions, little plant life, deadly magma flows, and pretty much no water. The ARK we see in the ground in the aberration ascension may act as a form of oasis, a place where beginners can gather food and have easy access to water, and get set up before venturing out into the dangerous world somewhat similar to earth after the impact of the Chicxulub meteor. 

This brings me to my next theory: Hackers have exposed that earth as seen in aberration ascension has a MASSIVE crater in it. My guess is, the earth was impacted by a gigantic meteoroid (possibly the moon) causing all life except a few humans to survive. These humans became the Homo Deus and created the ARK program, sometime shortly before/after the impact. Extinction will have a theme about earth being the ultimate test, a test to see which life forms are successful and crafty enough to survive, thrive, and eventually repopulate the planet (as the mammals and to a lesser extent, birds did in the Paleogene)

4 hours ago, Ertosi said:

A very specific game mechanic theme had popped up in the last DevKit update (from just after the TLC Phase 1 release). Its creatures with mechanics that are based off of the time of day. I noticed it for the Para which has a new DieAtNight variant and Trike which has a new DieAtDay variant. Combine this with a recent modding tutorial contest which had the subject of making a material that was dependent on the time of day. My suspicion is whatever Extinction is going to be, its going to have lots of time-based mechanics like these built in throughout.

This is the only real concrete evidence we have besides what @RowletAlex pointed out that it was most likely Lava. I believe Rowlet's observation to be mostly true, while I also think with @Ertosi said about the new mechanics, maybe Earth has lost most of its ozone or something.. and during the day its really hot and or night is extremely cold. This caused the dinos/mammals there to adapt and have different traits during the day. Im still not convinced theres actually going to be any bonefied dinosaurs on earth at all. Maybe just mammals / new creatures. With a lot more tech devices to take advantage of.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, prodigy1202 said:

And today there's the discovery that Atlas was originally meant to be an aquatic Ark DLC. I may have been wrong about Extinction, but I knew the idea was one Wildcard was trying for...originally.

Well, that's not really accurate prodigy.  The discovery in the ATLAS Early Access release was some hidden ARK menus including the menu where you can choose what DLC to run.  In that menu there was a new Aquatic entry.  Everyone is leaping to the conclusion that ATLAS was originally supposed to be an aquatic DLC for ARK.

All it really means is what we already knew... that ATLAS was developed primarily from ARK assets and likely much of that work was done in a special developers build of ARK.  Granted, it was a bit sloppy to leave that hidden menu accessible, and it has sparked all sorts of crazy rumors that make little sense if you consider what the actual parameters for ATLAS are.  ATLAS requires a vastly different server set up and is far larger than any ARK map (both in map size and the sheer number of players allowed per server)... so the DLC theory falls apart fairly quickly.

Which is a bit of a shame, as I would have liked to see an aquatic DLC for ARK.

Archived