SE starting Tips

Paddlor

Hey guys,

my tribe is looking forward to extand to SE. We have a pretty good base and Dinos on TheIsland. We play PVE

Do u guys have any starter tips since we are new to serverhopping/maphopping  etc?

Maybe which Dinos / Materiels to take, how to get settled, where to start or sort of?

I know, many ppl think we should discover this on our own, but we want a quick start, to just go on to aberration afterwards and/or to extand our TheIsland Shop / Life. :)

Would really appreciate some nice tips or niche tricks even though thats not the best way / nicest way to explore SE. We will do it on a new server on a full new experience base later I suppose.

maybe some1 understands me x) 

best regards!

It's harsh. Find desert gear, cactus punching gives you water so does drinking from the blue beetles.

WATCH out for Rock Golems. 

Starting dinos would be a rex, something for wood, something for rock gathering (golems are really the best), eggers (if you only what SE cuddle kibble there are 6 types).  Wyvs are the best way to get cactus sap.. 

Really just have to dig in and get started. 

When looking for a place to set up a base, keep a few things in mind:

- tame a jerboa and take it with you if you travel far. They warn you about the weather. Nothing worse than getting caught in a sandstorm while stealing wyvern eggs. Have a tent with you as long as you can't find you way back to base quickly.

- wear clothes; if you can, take ghillie with you, if not, learn desert armor quickly.

- Fortitude helps to deal with troodons, snakes, and scorpions, which are plentiful. Keep 10 stimberries in slot 0, this also protects you from pegos stealing important stuff. 

- Take a canteen with you. water sources, especially without flyer, can be hard to reach. You can drink from the blue bugs or tamed morellatops too. Watch out for kapros at water sources.

- Electricity; find a place near the desert or a "wilderness" area, and build a wind turbine there, Desert and wilderness are 100% wind. Press H to see where you are. Generators lose "health" and need to be repaired all the time.

- If you're on pve, you can't connect water pipes to wells, so don't choose you location based on them. Idk about pvp. If you want to use an industrial cooker, you have to run pipes from a water source (lake, river) to your base, if not you can easily survive by building a water tower from reservoirs (see youtube)

- Be friendly and leave your oil pump unlocked, but place a pillar next to it. Otherwise people might build a box around it and you won't have access to your own oil pump any more.

- Build in adobe, the other materials are way too hot for the desert. Thatch, glass and tek are ok too.

- Don't leave weak animals outside, wild wyvern can visit you any time. PlantX and turrets work well. Rexes and gigas too^^

- I wouldn't build directly in the desert, death worms can destroy your base. 

13 hours ago, Weiss said:

- tame a jerboa and take it with you if you travel far. They warn you about the weather. Nothing worse than getting caught in a sandstorm while stealing wyvern eggs. Have a tent with you as long as you can't find you way back to base quickly.

- You can't place crop plots in certain areas. If you want to set up a fully functional base take a crop plot with you to test it. OR you can use a dino with Platform saddle - bring it to an area where the plots can be placed, put them on the saddle, walk back to the base.

- Electricity; find a place near the desert or a "wilderness" area, and build a wind turbine there, that way it will only shut off during thunderstorms. Desert and wilderness are 100% wind. Press H to see where you are. Generators lose "health" and need to be repaired all the time.

- If you're on pve, you can't connect water pipes to wells, so don't choose you location based on them. Idk about pvp. If you want to use an industrial cooker, you have to run pipes from a water source (lake, river) to your base, if not you can eqsily survive by building a water tower from reservoirs.

- Be friendly and leave your oil pump unlocked, but place a pillar next to it. Otherwise people might build a box around it and you won't have access to your own oil pump any more.

- Build in adobe, the other materials are way too hot for the desert. Thatch, glass and tek are ok too.

- Don't leave weak animals outside, wild wyvern can visit you any time. PlantX and turrets work well. Rexes and gigas too^^

Thank you so much! This are really the advices I was looking for :) Would react or upvote or stuff but I can't do it yet. :)

But thank you very much so far! Me and my tribe are really looking forward to move to SE :)

Starting Advice:

Upload:
A flyer (or two for backup if you die) and the corresponding saddles
Canteen
Food
Enough structures to get a small starting outpost going
Cloth or Ghillie Armor to help with the heat
Some Hide armor for those rare cold nights
*note: I run around with 30 fortitude on SE and still get the hot and cold debuffs at various times with full primitive Desert Cloth on.

Once you have all that uploaded, transfer over a 55+ toon (this lets you loot yellow beacons to get chainsaws). Start at Midlands 4 (easy) so you can run to the Green Obelisk to download your stuff.
**** Beware, there are raptors, sabers and terror birds sometimes on the way. There is almost always a kapro in the water surrounding the Green Ob as well. ****

Once you have all your stuff downloaded, just make a small base near a water source for easy access to water until you find where you want to make your main base. Water can be found around the 3 Obelisks and in the riverbed that runs from south to north up the middle of the map. If you get stuck in a heatstorm and arent fully set up yet, just land your flyer on a natural pillar or ledge and log out for 10 minutes.

After you get a outpost set up and pick a permanent spot, you can upload/download all the other dinos you need to get to work on your main base. You wont need a wood gatherer with chainsaws available on this map. They use gas, so maybe transfer some of that over too. Dont bother making Wind Turbines, you find plenty of them in beacons. Desert Armor can be found in green beacons.

This map by Elderwraith has a lot of info, should help for starting out: http://orig07.deviantart.net/1243/f/2017/117/4/d/scorched_earth_map_for_ark_survival_evolved_by_elderwraith-db7cm8r.jpg

First get Desert gear + Find a spot near oasis + get anky,doedi,thyla for killing raptors,karkinos if u have it (easier to get stones and sand with doedi+karkinos)and one argy will do it

first set up a small adobe base near the oasis then u can survive the heatwave and the hot temp after that try to get ghillie suit (its easy in se to get organic poly)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 4:49 AM, Weiss said:

- You can't place crop plots in certain areas. If you want to set up a fully functional base take a crop plot with you to test it. OR you can use a dino with Platform saddle - bring it to an area where the plots can be placed, put them on the saddle, walk back to the base.

- Electricity; find a place near the desert or a "wilderness" area, and build a wind turbine there, that way it will only shut off during thunderstorms. Desert and wilderness are 100% wind. Press H to see where you are. Generators lose "health" and need to be repaired all the time.

- If you're on pve, you can't connect water pipes to wells, so don't choose you location based on them. Idk about pvp. If you want to use an industrial cooker, you have to run pipes from a water source (lake, river) to your base, if not you can eqsily survive by building a water tower from reservoirs.

Some good advice right there. 

If you have a base on The Island already, my best suggestion is to make Ghillie gear before you move over. That will help you survive the harsh environment much easier, as well I would recommend bring a wood/stone/thatch gatherer and taming a Morellatops to help get cactus sap which is used to make Adobe Structures. Adobe is what you'll be making your base out of as not to overheat to death.

On 5/20/2018 at 4:49 AM, Weiss said:

I am a fairly new player and jumped into SE without knowing a damn thing... quickly went back to the island to get a feel for the game... still I dabble on SE a lot and actually really enjoy it despite how many times I end up dying in just an hour...

this is helps a lot, so thank you for sharing! 

The wells don't provide enough water to functionally run a large tribe.  You need to set up a water farm.  If your starting out, 10 stone tanks is a good start.   In the rare time that it rains, they will top off and keep you going through dry spells.   This is especially important if you have an industrial cooker to make drinks. 

• 1 month later...

Good advice, got a couple things to add.

- You can't place crop plots in certain areas. If you want to set up a fully functional base take a crop plot with you to test it. OR you can use a dino with Platform saddle - bring it to an area where the plots can be placed, put them on the saddle, walk back to the base. <--- A update scheduled for tomorrow should fix this, you should be able to crop plot anywhere.

-  Electricity; find a place near the desert or a "wilderness" area, and build a wind turbine there, that way it will only shut off during thunderstorms. Desert and wilderness are 100% wind. Press H to see where you are. Generators lose "health" and need to be repaired all the time. <--- a planned update is supposed to stop normal generators from shutting off in a storm, tek generators and all tek devices that need power will still shut down though.

- When your getting set up you might want to build a base around green Obelisk. Green OB is easy enough to get to on foot, once there you can download your dinos/gear from the island. The OB also has lots of close by materials you will need. It has cactus for adobe, metal veins for ing and lots of oil and water.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Moonie1 said:

Starting Advice:

Upload:
A flyer (or two for backup if you die) and the corresponding saddles
Canteen
Food
Enough structures to get a small starting outpost going
Cloth or Ghillie Armor to help with the heat
Some Hide armor for those rare cold nights
*note: I run around with 30 fortitude on SE and still get the hot and cold debuffs at various times with full primitive Desert Cloth on.

Once you have all that uploaded, transfer over a 55+ toon (this lets you loot yellow beacons to get chainsaws). Start at Midlands 4 (easy) so you can run to the Green Obelisk to download your stuff.
**** Beware, there are raptors, sabers and terror birds sometimes on the way. There is almost always a kapro in the water surrounding the Green Ob as well. ****

Once you have all your stuff downloaded, just make a small base near a water source for easy access to water until you find where you want to make your main base. Water can be found around the 3 Obelisks and in the riverbed that runs from south to north up the middle of the map. If you get stuck in a heatstorm and arent fully set up yet, just land your flyer on a natural pillar or ledge and log out for 10 minutes.

After you get a outpost set up and pick a permanent spot, you can upload/download all the other dinos you need to get to work on your main base. You wont need a wood gatherer with chainsaws available on this map. They use gas, so maybe transfer some of that over too. Dont bother making Wind Turbines, you find plenty of them in beacons. Desert Armor can be found in green beacons.

This map by Elderwraith has a lot of info, should help for starting out: http://orig07.deviantart.net/1243/f/2017/117/4/d/scorched_earth_map_for_ark_survival_evolved_by_elderwraith-db7cm8r.jpg

nice advice i did try it on 373, only problem i faced was to find non-pillared spot

There is some great advice in this thread. Here's mine:

High tier ghillie is amazing to have. It'll really help your survive-ability tremendously.

Jerboas are an invaluable asset. They are a cheap, easy to tame forecaster. They are very squishy and die easily if you lose them, but they will save you from getting caught out somewhere dangerous in a sandstorm. 

Morellos (camel) are great to have for water until you get water access.

You can lay pipes, then attach reservoirs to them and they will passively gain water for you. Look up waterless bases. There's a good video for how to do it on AB and the information translates to a waterless base on any server. 

Adobe is the best thing to build with. You can put it up on metal pillars if you want to get your base up off the ground. 

A giga is an insanely valuable asset as well. They can kill rock golems and harvest them. They make ground travel a lot safer because there are nasty things everywhere on the map.

Flying is also a major perk. Wyverns are great to have.. they make getting more wyvern eggs a relative breeze compared to other methods. 

As previously stated by others, wild wyverns can and will visit your base, so put anything you really care about inside. You'll definitely want to defend against them because there's nothing to stop a wyvern or alpha wyvern from flying past your base. Gigas, rexes, turrets and plant species are all effective means of guarding your outside critters. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived