Ichthyornis AKA “The Trash Bird”

Bigboss84

Depending on the type of server I beleive you could remove ichyornis from a ps4 server, just dont ask me how lol. 

I wouldnt go as far as removing the ichyornis from the game. I love the bird for fishing, great for farming prime fish meat with. Great fun just picking off random fish by whistling attack my target. Also my go to tame for helping me tame otters (never tried taming hesperonis), makes it so much easier. I wouldnt say no to maybe changing the robbing mechanic, but the birds dont usually bother me for some reason so am not too fussed.

I absolutely would. Nothing motivates me to get off the beach like those godawful things. I’ll brave the inland threats over the pure rage, hate and fury those bring out in me.

Functionality or no, I removed them from my single player PC games because I just do not have time for the BS klepto birds when all I want is to get an Outpost set up to ready for the journey inland. And anything I need to do on the beach after the beginning stage of a game doesn’t need the added frustration.

I hate the pegomastaxes too, but at least those are one and done thefts, and you can realistically hope to chase it down. The theft mechanic in general is idiotic in my book, but at least the pegomastaxes are sort of manageable.

There is no reason for the stupid seagulls to exist in my world.

Only thing i hate more then wild Icthy are microraptors. My main base is on a cliff above the beach and i have several s+ plant x on my roof set to just target them. Ill also sit on my roof with a scoped longneck some days and use them for target practice, lol.

But nothing is more satisfying then baiting them to attack me and giving them a face full of birdshot with an ascendent pump. I dont even harvest the corpses, just let them sit there and rot as a warning...lol

Signed. Worst creature ever implemented IMO.

Although it was a little s**t pego that stole me 18 titanoboa kibble seconds before I could transfer it. But at least pegos are funny in the way they act and it sounds adorable when they eat. Can't be mad at them for long. Also they can't attack you from the air and are slower than ichthyornis.

But ichthyornis... nothing but hate for them. I live by the ocean and when I leave my base on a smaller mount or on foot I always carry a high lvl dimo with me to take them down. Can take a while though if they keep flying in circles higher and higher. So better send an imprinted high melee dimo after them.

15 hours ago, AdligerAdler said:

Signed. Worst creature ever implemented IMO.

Although it was a little s**t pego that stole me 18 titanoboa kibble seconds before I could transfer it. But at least pegos are funny in the way they act and it sounds adorable when they eat. Can't be mad at them for long. Also they can't attack you from the air and are slower than ichthyornis.

But ichthyornis... nothing but hate for them. I live by the ocean and when I leave my base on a smaller mount or on foot I always carry a high lvl dimo with me to take them down. Can take a while though if they keep flying in circles higher and higher. So better send an imprinted high melee dimo after them.

supposedly they recently fixed the bird AI so that they don't fly up infinitely

On 5/17/2018 at 2:04 PM, Bigboss84 said:

I hate this bird. I hate it so much.. I wish there was a way I could remove it from my Server, but my Server is a PS4 Server, so that’s probably not an option...

if if I started a petition to remove this infuriateing garbage animal from Ark, would anyone sign it?.. ?

As far as I know they've never removed any animals from the game, even when those animals were severely bugged during the Early Access period. Really your only option is to learn how to deal with them.

I have two suggestions that I think will make your life easier:

1) The easiest method is to get into the habit of carrying berries (or something else you don't mind losing) in the "0" slot of your hot bar. Animals that steal from you will take things from the "0" slot fist. Let's say you're in an area with multiple ichthyornis, you can split up the berries in your inventory and put a stack of 10 on your hot bar. If they steal that,  put another stack of 10 on your hot bar. Keep doing that until you escape the area and they're not attacking you any more.

2) If you want a better long term solution, tame at least one good level ichthyornis, vulture or dimorphodon and carry it on your shoulder whenever you go into areas where you're likely to see them. Having a shoulder mount that can protect you will make them much less of an issue. Ideally you should tame two of them (either to icnthy, vultures or dimo's) and start breeding, so that you can always have a future supply of guardian birds. It doesn't even matter if they're both high level, as long as one of the parents are high level you can eventually breed your own bloodline of good birds that will always be there to protect you.

2 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

As far as I know they've never removed any animals from the game, even when those animals were severely bugged during the Early Access period. Really your only option is to learn how to deal with them.

I have two suggestions that I think will make your life easier:

1) The easiest method is to get into the habit of carrying berries (or something else you don't mind losing) in the "0" slot of your hot bar. Animals that steal from you will take things from the "0" slot fist. Let's say you're in an area with multiple ichthyornis, you can split up the berries in your inventory and put a stack of 10 on your hot bar. If they steal that,  put another stack of 10 on your hot bar. Keep doing that until you escape the area and they're not attacking you any more.

2) If you want a better long term solution, tame at least one good level ichthyornis, vulture or dimorphodon and carry it on your shoulder whenever you go into areas where you're likely to see them. Having a shoulder mount that can protect you will make them much less of an issue. Ideally you should tame two of them (either to icnthy, vultures or dimo's) and start breeding, so that you can always have a future supply of guardian birds. It doesn't even matter if they're both high level, as long as one of the parents are high level you can eventually breed your own bloodline of good birds that will always be there to protect you.

They removed leeds from ragnorak :(

Actually, an Icthyornis is super good for flying around on and if you tame it, you can activate a pick-pocket so it will steal from other players, so it will have random things. So you could have first dino Icthyornis and get it to steal a super good dudes items, instant awesome. Also, Pegomastax is also able to do this, but it cant fly so it will be more likely to be killed. Hope this helps.

Seriously folks? Here's a helping hand:

Step 1: Put some food in your 0 slot, it will be stolen first.
Step 2: When the food in your 0 slot is stolen, put more food in it

Rinse, lather, repeat. The idea that Ichthyornis' are difficult to the point they should be removed is a joke. It's one of the easiest "annoying" creatures in the game to counter, and all it takes is a few swipes in a bush for berries. (Seriously...put arma berries in your 0 slot, and if your stuff gets stolen, pick some more bushes)

Guest DJRone89
10 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Seriously folks? Here's a helping hand:

Step 1: Put some food in your 0 slot, it will be stolen first.
Step 2: When the food in your 0 slot is stolen, put more food in it

Rinse, lather, repeat. The idea that Ichthyornis' are difficult to the point they should be removed is a joke. It's one of the easiest "annoying" creatures in the game to counter, and all it takes is a few swipes in a bush for berries. (Seriously...put arma berries in your 0 slot, and if your stuff gets stolen, pick some more bushes)

OP’s on console so any PC specific answers are pointless to them. I’d assume you mean the right hand slot?

Guest DJRone89
On 5/17/2018 at 7:04 PM, Bigboss84 said:

I hate this bird. I hate it so much.. I wish there was a way I could remove it from my Server, but my Server is a PS4 Server, so that’s probably not an option... 

if if I started a petition to remove this infuriateing garbage animal from Ark, would anyone sign it?.. ?

Just rent my dude. I’m on Xbox and rent from Nitrado - only option for us unfortunately but at least PS4 players can choose whatever hosting provider they like. Then you will have your own PC server and the ability to modify (including remove) spawns you want, amongst are host of options.

There aren’t many options Steam users have over rented PC servers for console users, other than what the consoles client can’t handle.

Archived