can a spino take on an alpha rex

yeetboii

Depends on lvl I think. Not a lvl 150 I think. My aberrant spino has 13k health, 600% melee and 100% imp.

I weakened the alpha with a lightning wyvern until it was heavily bleeding. Then I got my spino and it still lost several thousand health. The 150 alpha rex at full health would've slaughtered my spino.

I think that was before TLC 2 update though. So no water buff. Still I would be catious.

Depends a bit on the saddle+elevation. If you can fight an Alpha Rex while facing downhill, the Spino's larger hit radius and knockback should allow you to down the Rex decently.

If you have to tank it, then the better your saddle, the better you can deal with an Alpha Rex. As mentioned, a 100+ armor saddle will allow you to EASILY take on Alpha Rex, no problem - I've taken on Alpha Rexes with Argents and Deer that have 120+ armor saddles, the Alpha rexes deal like 10 damage a hit then (Low lvl Alphas mind you). If you have a basic, Primitive saddle, then yea, it really depends on the lvl of the Alpha Rex - As mentioned, they can get quite a lot of HP at high levels - While a 500k+ Alpha Rex is almost impossible to find on Officials, a 200k HP lvl 130+ Alpha Rex is MUCH more probable, along with around 400-600 damage/hit (A 150 will generally have HP ranging from 100-200k, depending on it's lvls in health, and 420-600 melee damage/hit, depending on it's lvls in melee. More/less than that is possible, but not too probable).

So, taking the OP, let's say he has a Primitive Saddle (Roughly half damage reduction from Alpha Rex), and he's up against a solidly average 150 Alpha Rex (150k HP, 500 damage/hit.

At 18000 health, taking ~250 damage/hit from the Alpha Rex, he can only take ~70 hits from the Alpha Rex before he ded. So, he has to go through 150000 HP in roughly a minute, or he needs to deal 2500 damage/second.

At 600 melee, WITHOUT the water boost (Because you are more likely to run into an Alpha Rex where there ISN'T any water), he will deal 360 damage/hit, and hit roughly twice a second, so 720 damage/second. As you can see, with this setup. you ded. Very ded.

Now, let's assume that instead, he has the Imprint boost, still no water, and a 120 armor saddle, the Spino will only take ~12% damage per hit - So the Spino is taking 60 damage/hit. He now can take 300 hits from the Alpha Rex, so roughly 5 minutes to down it, and he only needs 500 dps to down it before dead. Considering that he is now dealing 936 damage/second (30% imprint boost)... He downs the Alpha Rex with half health remaining.

Disclaimer - My numbers are based on alot of assumptions - The Alpha Rex is managing to hit once/second (Most Alpha Rexes I fight hit more like once/2-3 seconds), the Alpha Rex uses the same armor multiplier as the Rex (4, is there an actual list for dino armor coefficients somewhere out there?), the actual attack rate for a Bipedal Spino (Wasn't it 1 attack per .6 or .7 seconds? So not quite 2x hits per second), ect.

But yea. Saddles make a HUGE difference when it comes to fighting most anything. There are some exceptions, like the Manta, Therizino, Kentro, or other dinos who ignore most armor, but for most big bruisers, they deal significantly less damage to high-armored targets (Giga's included, although their bleed is another thing)

Archived