Help with breeding questions

WolfeUK

I'm new to breeding and mutations, learnt a little from YouTube vids but them seem to contradict each other, 

I've got 2 rexs max tamed to 224 before levels, I've just breed them but the baby has come out at level 247 ? How did that happen, as we can only have dinos up to level 350 I'm not gonna get much chance to mutate him ??

When you breed 2 dinos the baby gets either its mothers or fathers stat in each stat. For example if the mother had 40 points in melee but the father only had 20 and the baby got the same stats as the 224 father except it got the mothers melee the baby would hatch at 244. You obviously got a good baby because it got mostly better stats as it came out at level 247. I wouldn't worry about getting too high level wise as once you produce a baby with the best stats from the original pair the level won't increase. At that point you either need to tame more rexes with higher stats or get mutations to increase levels. If you're planning on doing it from your own breeding lines then it could take months to get even close to a 300 unless you got extremely lucky.

5 hours ago, DarkSoul996 said:

When you breed 2 dinos the baby gets either its mothers or fathers stat in each stat. For example if the mother had 40 points in melee but the father only had 20 and the baby got the same stats as the 224 father except it got the mothers melee the baby would hatch at 244. You obviously got a good baby because it got mostly better stats as it came out at level 247. I wouldn't worry about getting too high level wise as once you produce a baby with the best stats from the original pair the level won't increase. At that point you either need to tame more rexes with higher stats or get mutations to increase levels. If you're planning on doing it from your own breeding lines then it could take months to get even close to a 300 unless you got extremely lucky.

So the extra 20 melee stats ( 20 extra points allocated into melee)  it got from the mother, in comparison to the father, raised the baby level 20 levels. Correct? 

So in reality the baby's level comes from each individual stat point allocation. So if you bred, using your example, the mother and father and the baby inherited all the stats from just the mother, then the baby would come out 224. If it inherited the mothers stats but the fathers higher HP, 5 hp allocated points higher than the mother, the baby would come out 229. Correct?

Also I assume then that the baby level can decrease. If, using your example, the baby inherited all the stats from the mother but inherited the 5 less allocated points into Stam from the father, than the baby level would be 219. Correct?

This would make sense how people can breed a 224 with a 210 for example, 210 having higher stam, with hopes of the baby inheriting all the 224 stats and just the higher stam stat from the 210, and the baby level being over 224.

ive got 2500 in this game but I never really educated myself into how exactly this all works. 

I also assume there's a website that does the math and determines what stats the baby got and from whom? It'd be easy for me to figure out, but it'd still take quite a few to break it down in my head from not having enough experience looking at the right factors. 

Thanks, that really helped me understand breeding more than 5 hours of utube vids

So my next question, and this is a observation, when breeding for mutations, will the baby mutate if it's parents have different levels, or do the parents have to both be the exact same to force the baby to mutate as it can't pick a different stat ?

5 hours ago, Corrigan said:

So the extra 20 melee stats ( 20 extra points allocated into melee)  it got from the mother, in comparison to the father, raised the baby level 20 levels. Correct? 

So in reality the baby's level comes from each individual stat point allocation. So if you bred, using your example, the mother and father and the baby inherited all the stats from just the mother, then the baby would come out 224. If it inherited the mothers stats but the fathers higher HP, 5 hp allocated points higher than the mother, the baby would come out 229. Correct?

Also I assume then that the baby level can decrease. If, using your example, the baby inherited all the stats from the mother but inherited the 5 less allocated points into Stam from the father, than the baby level would be 219. Correct?

This would make sense how people can breed a 224 with a 210 for example, 210 having higher stam, with hopes of the baby inheriting all the 224 stats and just the higher stam stat from the 210, and the baby level being over 224.

ive got 2500 in this game but I never really educated myself into how exactly this all works. 

I also assume there's a website that does the math and determines what stats the baby got and from whom? It'd be easy for me to figure out, but it'd still take quite a few to break it down in my head from not having enough experience looking at the right factors. 

yes it IS possible to get babies that are a lower level than either of the parents, this would indicate that it has generally inherited the lower of the stats in most if not all cases. if you're planning to get into breeding much its a really good idea to keep track of the base stats of your breeders post tame. an easy (and in game) way to do this is to make folders for each of their stats inside their inventory. that way even if you manually level them you can still view their base stats. if you haven't done this, then the easiest way to retrieve their base stats would be to breed them a few times use the babies' stats. There is an app that people use called smart breeder, i don't know the ins and outs of how it works, but ive heard it recommended several time by breeders. 

4 hours ago, WolfeUK said:

Thanks, that really helped me understand breeding more than 5 hours of utube vids

So my next question, and this is a observation, when breeding for mutations, will the baby mutate if it's parents have different levels, or do the parents have to both be the exact same to force the baby to mutate as it can't pick a different stat ?

mutations 'always' have a possibility of occuring, but only about a 2.5% chance. There are other limitations but they don't apply to fresh dinos. other than that, there is ALOT more to mutations than i really understand. the wiki has a decent explanation, with examples and everything, but just keep in mind, breeding for mutations takes MONTHS. 

18 hours ago, Corrigan said:

Yeah that's pretty much spot on. I use the ark smart breeding app myself. You put in the tames stats and then it will tell you the points in each stat and then you can add it to the library. Makes it really easy to see which tames have the stats you want at a glance and it can even generate a breeding plan to tell you what would be the best pairings and the probability of getting the best baby from the pairing.

Archived