Sad Disconnect/Thanks WC

mgsgta3

I look back to when I began, it was just over 2 years ago. The beaver was about to be added in, there was no redwood, and snow biome update was still far away. Hell, there wasnt even a Chemistry Bench XD. Back then, Wildcard was different too. It's really amazing too see how much they have grown as creators, and has been pretty amazing throughout when I would be getting hotfix patches at 1am, 3am, all hours of the day and night. for a while it seemed like they never slept ha. One thing to note is that back then, they were much more open and willing to communicate, even happy to share information and news, and answer questions.  In the answers they gave, they were always honest, though some answers risked being innacurate when it was ones about "when is this coming? When will this release?" So when the projected date would come-and go, with no update normally I would be thinking "what are these bums doing?" but with Wildcard it was different. It was always apparent that they would be late not because of laziness, but because of how ambitious they were. That was something I was cool with as I would infinitely prefer that to laziness, and id even prefer it to a dev with average ambition just putting out the acceptable level of content. Other players, some of them didnt see it this way though. Rather than be happy and enjoy the mass amounts of content that wasnt originally planned, they cried. And cried. and cried. On twitter. on reddit. on here. They still do to this day have that eternal faux tear at the ready. Then of course, these people whove spent 1000s of hours on the game rating bombed it on steam, saying how "bad" of a game it was, then they would get right back on that very game and put in 1000s more hours.  
    When the devs would communicate with the playerbase at this point it began to be more of a lose-lose situation for them, because here they are passionate about their game and wanting to share whats going on with the community, but are being met with "Trap" questions, where no answers a good answer. If they showed off anything that was upcoming and it had a date on it and it wasnt ready right then, the crowd would grab their pitchforks and torches. If they gave no date then the rioters would ask "whats the release date?". When they would answer they gave their honest estimates(no reason not too). It should be common sense that they genuinely thought itd be ready on the day they stated, and also it should be common sense that it was subject to change.  Unfortunately, it wasnt though.  To add to it, every time theyd post anything, the comments would fill up with these crybabies basically harrassing them about things they had said in the past. If you were in this no win situation which path would you pick, the one where you open yourself up to having MORE stuff used against youby the very people playing your game all the time, or would you take the path where you simply dont say anything? 
   So logically Wildcard severed that casual openness with the community. This choice of course riled up the crybabies("gosh, dont even talk to the community that bought your game"), as they didnt realize that it was their own doing that caused the disconnect.
and iits much like this at present. We as a community are left largely in the dark now, having those glimpses at whats coming next being a thing of the past. It's a shame really, because we dont if the final dlc is coming next month, 3 months, 6 months. We dont get Q and As anymore, nothing. 
I miss getting those updates(and on a somewhat related note, I miss SOTF too)
I also wanted to say thanks to WIldcard for really going above and beyond in every way you guys could, and for all the hard work youve put in that you didnt have to, all those weeks and months it seemed like you never slept, and for this amazing game.   I dont think that is expressed enough.  
Thats it. lol

I agree, it's an amazing game. 

Unfortunately, imo, the way they've had to create the game through the early access process opened Wildcard up to the masses early on and with that comes the good and bad aspects of everyone.

Companies like Rockstar and Bethesda etc... don't really have to deal with many of those issues the way Wildcard has.

I can honestly say that none of the games put out by those bigger companies has pulled me in to play 3,500 hours and still counting the way Ark has.

Archived