Community Crunch 131: Stream Roundup, Great Migration #3, Mod Community Updates, #3 & Xbox Sale!

Jen

13 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Runescape doesnt have bugs coming out the ears either.  We have years worth of content available rn.  More then just about any other game, the bugs are the problem.  I dont get how people keep screaming they need new content, is it just greed, or low attention spans?  Theres 5 maps that take months per map to conquer separately, theres build your own map, and when you done it all theres do it again in primitive mode.  And thats all just from an SP standpoint, then theres doing all of it again online...Theres no real need for new content atm.  The problems driving people away are, corruption like with Tea/WC/Snail, the evil super bugs that were ignored like the ascension bug wiping your entire progress(which was ignored for a year and is just now being addressed), transfer issues killing/deleting tames between servers or just warping to boss fights(And then the pathetic joke of the support you get when these bugs happen and completely haults/destroys your progress).  I as 1 person could give better support to an entire server using my ps4 and console commands then what the GMs do for 1 person and thats just pathetic.  The proof is in Egors topic ENTIRE BOSS TEAM (REXES AND YUTTI) LOST IN TELEPORT

Content isn't always new dinos. Contrary to what the devs apparently think, we would rather know about what bugfixes are being worked on ahead of time or what they have in the pipeline for the next update. instead we get the same stupid mod contest and no idea what is going on.

Just once i'd like to see something like the riot progress bar or behind the scenes runescape posts here. "this month we're working on x, x and possibly trying to get x out." "We've been working hard on a new tier of x for ark and heres how far we've gotten. next stage is x"

we're passionate about the game. we want to know what ya'll are up to.

I am suprised to see 693 on the kill list. I carefully watched its player numbers over months and it always was pretty well visited, definitly "upper third" all the time. Though I must say most players seem to be of the type "silent chinese" and many people seem to have used it as a mere storage for dinos. This is the second time I have to move my scorched earth stuff. I hate it.

At least my beloved 127 is spared this time.

Dear wildcard, you should nominate a small set of "last to delete" servers per region so people won't have to move stuff every three months... eg. one EU-Island, EU-SE, EU-Aberation.

25 minutes ago, Spektakel said:

I am suprised to see 693 on the kill list. I carefully watched its player numbers over months and it always was pretty well visited, definitly "upper third" all the time. Though I must say most players seem to be of the type "silent chinese" and many people seem to have used it as a mere storage for dinos. This is the second time I have to move my scorched earth stuff. I hate it.

Dear wildcard, you should nominate a small set of "last to delete" servers per region so people won't have to move stuff every three months... eg. one EU-Island, EU-SE, EU-Aberation. 

I play on 693 too and it is the second time to move all stuff and dinos from SE-Server. Last time it was island and center. So total the fourth time. And we always have big "beautiful" buildings and many dinos. And it is not nice to move every time and rebuild the bases and then the server got wiped again.

I would welcome it, that you can say, which servers will stay till the end! Not only RAG (with tamecaps). PVE-EU-Scorched, PVE-EU-Island, PVE-EU-Center... I mean there are not many PVE-EU-Scorched-Server left - so how many will stay?

And please remove the timers from the servers that will be wiped next month. This would help a lot!

This issue with low pop servers wouldn't even be an issue, had they used their heads a bit more efficiently back in early access and done a 100% wipe of all their servers prior to launch, and then reduced the number of servers available on launch. That way they could've just added more servers as the launch servers became full. This is a backwards way of doing it as far as online game development goes.

56 minutes ago, ExcessEvil said:

This issue with low pop servers wouldn't even be an issue, had they used their heads a bit more efficiently back in early access and done a 100% wipe of all their servers prior to launch, and then reduced the number of servers available on launch. That way they could've just added more servers as the launch servers became full. This is a backwards way of doing it as far as online game development goes.

That is a horrible idea. All that would do is make many stop playing the game outright which is not good for Ark. Early access to players means headstart and there should have been no separation from legacy and new. Instead, they should have raised level caps of everything to make the currently breed dinos too weak for new content. Forcing everyone to start over does not add to their gaming experience and seems to only have the purpose of buying Devs time to make new content. Do they really need as much time as they are buying themselves though? They would be much farther ahead to add new Boss encounters on existing maps then to rewind the bloodline treadmill.

2 minutes ago, Cinnamongod said:

That is a horrible idea. All that would do is make many stop playing the game outright which is not good for Ark. Early access to players means headstart and there should have been no separation from legacy and new. Instead, they should have raised level caps of everything to make the currently breed dinos too weak for new content. Forcing everyone to start over does not add to their gaming experience and seems to only have the purpose of buying Devs time to make new content. Do they really need as much time as they are buying themselves though? They would be much farther ahead to add new Boss encounters on existing maps then to rewind the bloodline treadmill.

No, it is common practice in the industry to wipe everything prior to a release for buy to play games. The ones who state otherwise have never played a single buy to play game in beta outside of Early Access and expect to keep everything intact when the game launches.

World of Warcraft . Full wipe.

Diablo 3. Full wipe.

Battlefield 2-3-4-1-hardline etc. Full wipe.

Call of Duty -every title- full wipe.

ESO. Full wipe.

DCUO. Full wipe.

I could make a much longer list, obviously, but i just can't be bothered going through the same debate with ignorant people again.

The 'migration' event is more detrimental to the community than if they had wiped the servers prior to release and reduced their numbers and instead added more as the original ones became full. As i said, the way they did it is a backwards way of doing. It is not a common practice in the industry outside of generic F2P MMORPGS, and this game is not a F2P game, nor is it an MMO or MMORPG. It's a Buy to Play game and if you use Early Access as an excuse to keep all your stuff then you've not grasped the concept of an Early Access. Early Access is not a 'soft-release'. It's all the dev stages put into one package where they ask the community for feedback etc along the way before it is ready for release. Oh don't worry, i know there are devs out there who abuse Early Access, but is that what Wildcard did though? I don't think so. It clearly stated on the Early Access warning box that the game was in development.

Friends i know in the industry laugh when they talk about ARK and their launch fiasco, (yes the launch was a massive fiasco and the migration is a testament to that fiasco) and the main thing they pick on is the lack of a full wipe.

"Why would they hurt themselves by not wiping their servers and content before they released the game?"

"Don't they realise they're hurting the community who supported them by not wiping?"

That's the common two questions that comes up when we start talking about ARK.

4 minutes ago, ExcessEvil said:

No, it is common practice in the industry to wipe everything prior to a release for buy to play games. The ones who state otherwise have never played a single buy to play game in beta outside of Early Access and expect to keep everything intact when the game launches.

World of Warcraft . Full wipe.

Diablo 3. Full wipe.

Battlefield 2-3-4-1-hardline etc. Full wipe.

Call of Duty -every title- full wipe.

ESO. Full wipe.

DCUO. Full wipe.

I could make a much longer list, obviously, but i just can't be bothered going through the same debate with ignorant people again.

The 'migration' event is more detrimental to the community than if they had wiped the servers prior to release and reduced their numbers and instead added more as the original ones became full. As i said, the way they did it is a backwards way of doing. It is not a common practice in the industry outside of generic F2P MMORPGS, and this game is not a F2P game, nor is it an MMO or MMORPG. It's a Buy to Play game and if you use Early Access as an excuse to keep all your stuff then you've not grasped the concept of an Early Access. Early Access is not a 'soft-release'. It's all the dev stages put into one package where they ask the community for feedback etc along the way before it is ready for release. Oh don't worry, i know there are devs out there who abuse Early Access, but is that what Wildcard did though? I don't think so. It clearly stated on the Early Access warning box that the game was in development.

Friends i know in the industry laugh when they talk about ARK and their launch fiasco, (yes the launch was a massive fiasco and the migration is a testament to that fiasco) and the main thing they pick on is the lack of a full wipe.

"Why would they hurt themselves by not wiping their servers and content before they released the game?"

"Don't they realise they're hurting the community who supported them by not wiping?"

That's the common two questions that comes up when we start talking about ARK.

It is an antiquated practice and while many Devs still may do this it is an easy option for the Devs to the detriment of the players. Tera is a game that did not wipe and was all the better for it. That is off the top of my head and I am not going to research just for this comment. The traditional way of doing things is evolving and for good reason, as I never want a game to wipe any of my progress. WC was catering to the will of the majority of players and it was a good choice but the mistake was in separating Legacy and New.

Plus they "launched" with basically no new content except to start over. Who wants to do that? Plus when a player is free from the normal maintenance of the game why trap yourself by going back? Game wipes are a mistake and they only make sense when talking about Alpha and possibly Beta phases to a game, not Early Access. The "concept" of Early Access is to allow a Dev to make money on a game while it is still being developed it is not equivalent to a testing phase. Feedback should be requested at every stage of a game if they in any way care about the quality of their product. A game being "in development" in an exceptionally vague description and in all reality all game are always in development if they are to add any more new content or make balance changes.

Again lack of a full wipe was NOT the issue it was the separation between old and new. It seemed to me to be a hasty launch due to revenue shortfalls. They should have launched with new higher level content on all maps. While I appreciate the adoption of Rag, even more so if it were stable, the only new content added was Aberration and while it has a cool twist on existing creatures and some new mechanics over all the map is way too grindy and leaves me with no will to play it.

So by not deleting everyone's time and effort, this is hurting them? That is demented backward logic.

I joined back on a pvp server a month ago, doing solo. The servers always say there are too many people leave or be held down,we destroy you.No one will let you join, They also would not allow anyone who does not speak spanish. I am sooo tired of jumping back and forth grinding with nothing to show because Alphas just keep you down. The game needs more balance. Things like Balista bolts kill fliers one hit, yes that would be poweful but it would make dragons second think coming in and just wipeing players. Pvp could then be better balanced. For Gigas Cannons could stun and knock them out or something. As for Bombers blowing through walls add more traps and such to set up to make it harder to raid. Any thoughs on this? I would love to hear.

20 hours ago, Torja said:

Content isn't always new dinos. Contrary to what the devs apparently think, we would rather know about what bugfixes are being worked on ahead of time or what they have in the pipeline for the next update. instead we get the same stupid mod contest and no idea what is going on.

Just once i'd like to see something like the riot progress bar or behind the scenes runescape posts here. "this month we're working on x, x and possibly trying to get x out." "We've been working hard on a new tier of x for ark and heres how far we've gotten. next stage is x"

we're passionate about the game. we want to know what ya'll are up to.

I agree this would be a great idea.

Why should we object to deleting servers? Studio Wildcard so hard work they're like, hi these players like a bunch of idiots let us delete the server and get rid of these players!! .

Why do we prevent Studio Wildcard from deleting? They're trying so hard, trying to get rid of the server, trying to get rid of us why should we stop them? They are really trying very hard why should we organize what they are doing so attentively?

There is no denying that ARK is a good game but unfortunately Studio Wildcard is a bad team and they are even worse than the snail.

Getting rid of smaller servers makes no sense, this is where solo and small tribes can go when Alphas do not let them join servers and build around all obelisks to keep people from coming and going. We need dinos that can jump arks with all items, it would make pvp alot better. I hate building for a month to lose everything in five minutes because ive been found and they do not want any more people. Also taking the ability to place my bear traps and others on my boat really hirts when Alphas land on it and just march in. These things should be added back in so i can defend myself. It sucks to be caught in a bear trap for an hour, but thats the points. Make them think before raiding. We need alot better weapons and trap.

I would like to protest the shutdown of pve official 33 as well. While WC has seemingly made up its mind, I cannot in good conscious sit and say nothing while such a great example of what a positive player based community can be. Folks on 33 play from all over the world, and have helped each other create some of the most fascinating and diverse dino kingdoms ARK will ever know. Please reconsider the decision to shutdown 33 and show players, that have gone through the ups and downs of developing this wonderful game, that WC can care more about the communities it's helped build rather than statistics. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, GP said:

I can't see the hours you've played no, but on the battlemetrics site for server 33 it shows that out of the 3,294 hours, you've played 1,149 hours of them on server 33. Which is 48 days in total over 2-3 years. Although it's very possible battlemetrics hasn't been capturing the information from day 1 that the server launched.

Although it is a lot of hours, and I appreciate you've dedicated most of your ARK time to one server, but sure you must be able to see that going by that alone can't be enough to deem the server active, as most servers on the kill list and the previous kill lists have/had players that have spent thousands of hours on them.

I don't think so. 33 is a magical server. They come from all over the world like I come from China, 33 there are 5 Chinese, tj is in Australia, yev is in the United States, and I'm sure there are three tribes from Japan and two russians. Now the point is not whether 33 is active but how many people are there??? Where were they? What time are they playing?

How many other people are playing games during my break? How many 33 players are resting while I'm playing? Now it's all gone

(maybe the nationality of player 33 is beyond my imagination)

• 2 weeks later...