Cross-play confusion

Seanziii

So me and my partner got ark for our Xbox and love it! So much so that I purchased the Microsoft version for my pc that way it would be easier for us to play together without having to deal with the hard to read screens that you see on split screen play. Now my question is, how can we play together? The dedicated server option doesn’t seem to allow me to play as well, the non dedicated seems to allow anyone who wants in and we just want to play alone together. I tried the “private match” option but I it won’t allow the second person to join. Is there a way we can do this without purchasing a third party server? 

Guest DJRone89

Both of you appear offline when you start up a non-dedicated session (make sure cross-play is enabled). It won’t fully stop people from joining but will help prevent the masses. Unofficial session visibility on the sessions list has been broken since day 1 early access and will likely never get fixed.

Alternatively, you can customise your profile system settings to only allow people you follow to see your online status. Since I made that change on my dedicated server, it stopped 90% of breaches.

XBL made the decision to allow anyone to join your session as long as you’re online despite whether you are friends or not. By changing that setting to friends only, you appear offline to anyone you aren’t friends with, meaning randoms can’t join you.

Hope this helps.

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, Bruvas78 said:

Can you not set a password on the non dedicated server?

That’s only half the problem but should prevent the session list randomers.

People can still join you if they see your profile and join session. XBL is very open and there all a lot of different ways people can find you, unless you appear offline to them.

For example, you could upload a pic/video of Ark and it would share to Ark’s gamehub. Someone could like your media and then join your session, as easy as that.

Archived