Server Cap

XxxGodzxxX

36 minutes ago, XxxGodzxxX said:

So what are we suppose to do when the server is capped and is ridden with pillars ? We can't tamed OR build so ........ what's the point of this game on official?  Sad to say , but this game is killing itself !

There is Always a place to build, you have too look for it. :) I build my base once in shallow water with pillars.

wait and keep watching for the (enemy) wooden pillars to disapear.

It takes time but its not unpossible

I'm sure there are tons of posts. I just arnt seeing any. Seems like the gms are doing a good job keeping us quiet. Blending all of our new posts to the old ones.. 

Guess I'll probably get another warning.

But, question... with tame cap. Is ark doing anything about this ? It's very frustrating. They give us a server cap for only 11 tribes to max out in server and allow unlimited tribes in server.. its literally a first come first serve thing.. makes it hard for the new guys.

I've had my share of getting trolled. I figured out being trolled in this game isnt personal.. People just want others off there server so they can tame and breed like the game promotes... so I found the cycle...

First cycle:      New players.. will be trolled and frustrated cause you can't play the promoted game like it promotes.

Second cycle:   you figure out ways to exploit any way possible to obtain dinos either to use or to kill for other times or breeds. You still get trolled.

Third cycle:    more dinos you get this is the crossroads. Cause if you were just having fun in game taming and getting lucky and your dinos all are trash dinos compared to others they will all hate you for filling up server space...on the other hand.. if you have awsome dinos. They will learn to respect you some cause they want what you have. As long as your reasonable of course.

Fourth cycle:    you get frustrated with the newbies. You have made plans and these new guys are forcing you to waste time or not do what you wish to do. You begin to dislike every new person that comes in server cause of the chase of server cap. Every new person is a dart through your heart. This means more dinos. More pain..this is when you vent... starts trolling. Cycle...

This is the cycles... some people go through more cycles as I did. But I can go forever typing them. I just wanted to make this basic. As awsome as this game is. Its genetics are built to stress you through gameplay and frustrate you. As many quit with failed interest of fighting this tame cap.. 

This leaves us questions....

How long will this post last till its deleted or merged with an older post to be ignored ?

Are they actually doing something to fix the game, or are they allowing the game to filter through the new guys for fast profit versus expansion profit ? 

This highly potential game getting destroyed with the easiest fix. Seriously, How many more people must go through this abuse ? 

Just fixing server cap alone will adjust there reviews from mixed to above average.

As I say... this is a beautiful build game with alot to offer.... well... when your not feeling suffocated.

Fixes !!! Gms. Others.  Message this in.. anyone ?? If you know. Please pass this on.

I have set up a team of like 5-10 members. We use to work for EA troubleshooting games and stuff so we know a bit. Here is a few of our ideas.

1.  Have servers with only passive dinos for feeding and no other wildlife. Triple the building and farming so we can build faster on the server. Shut off map chat. And triple the dino alowance for server.   Lable it as an dino storage server.

No events. Nothing special that does there.

This will allow more room for other servers as other big tribes will store there instead of an actual server. I've met a tribe who claims to have over 10k dinos.... yet I only have 135.  NOT FAIR. Yet. Easy enough...

2. Allow us to host offical servers. This is simple. If a tribe can place all there dinos in one land and call that there own. Some tribes will *feel king of the world* others will have mixed feelings of everything positive. This is easy too. You can just adjust the settings so they can't do much. You can even ignore the events on these servers. Tribes would just love them to be able to store dinos on. And do there own stuff. I'd rather lose all events and not have to worry about time cap.

3. Buy more servers.. and get off the quads.  Most the processing is done on our computers. It's all data exchange. Need more bandwidth ? Separate hosts.. this game is to big for what it offers. So many want to play it but just can't. I have myself brought over 10 people whom are loyal that quit playing cause of game cap and unearthly map chats. They like games with respect and where people would help you and wanna get to know you.. not tell you to leave the server cause your being there effects there game play. Your progress means more stress time for them... 

4.   Maybe start caring ? 

To all that read this.. yes there are servers out there that have nice people in it.. and other blah blah... but I'm talking in general sense. This is what's going on if your in a heaven place.  Me myself. I love the island server. I'm not going to ragnar just cause the game is making it unplayable for me. I'm going to say something about it and hope the right person is listening.

*why am I here typing all this ?*  I've got 5 eggs on enqubator with tame cap and have a tame on my roof and watching my tame progress slowly drop as I narc the heck out of it. Just sitting here wasting my time..

Please feel free. Adjust these cycles the way you see them ? And I'm being genuine here. Please no trolling. 

End of the game Devs seem to think its a quick in out and you move onto the next expansion, sadly you invest so much time and effort into every part of the game is results in people not wanting to leave the place and dinos they have invested all of their time into.

A bigger problem is Dino Dumpers, tribes that will set up a big box structure on a server or multiple servers , then dump dinos and only log in for feeding and timers. these people exploiting their own limited tribe caps are a huge problem on every server at the moment. Cap limitations are very easy to get around and are no way enforcable under thecurrent game model.  There Just is not enough space for players .

1 hour ago, Cetaphil said:

Are they actually doing something to fix the game, or are they allowing the game to filter through the new guys for fast profit versus expansion profit ? 

WC fixes for tame cap to date.

Reduced breeding and taming events

No more dino claiming. Dino's decay. 

Introduced event dino's to try and help with mass storage for color mutations. 

These may not be perfect but I have seen some levity on server's from this but the threat of cap is always on veteran's of a servers minds if they have experienced it. 

Things people do when coming to a new server that annoy current resident's. 

Ask to join a tribe

Ask for free dino's

Don't even get off the beach before complaining there is no place to build.

Import a bunch of dino's from a different server

Build on certain spawn points. Most of these are protected but some are so obvious (beaver dams people) that people leave them be and next thing you know you are down Theri spawns and beaver dams.

You know who has success on a new server? A person who comes in and just does their own thing. No asking for free stuff. They start to get established and then introduce themselves to the server by offering items for trade or inquiring about trades if they want or they just do their own thing the entire time. We have a player on our server that watches people for some time and then just helps them out (with items, dino's, whatever) if he sees them actually putting in an effort. Too few of people do that. 

So my advice for noobs (if you are on a new server don't care if you are level 100 you're a noob to the community). Just do your thing quietly at first and people will mostly not mess with you. 

Guest DJRone89

Reducing the dino decay timer may help. The chore alone may force people to rethink how many dinos they have stored knowing they will have to log on more often for the same affect.

1 hour ago, DJRone89 said:

Reducing the dino decay timer may help. The chore alone may force people to rethink how many dinos they have stored knowing they will have to log on more often for the same affect.

That will prevent me from playing. I work and it sometimes gets hard to feed them on occasion. And with my hospital visitd... sometimes I get lucky. But, yeah. Maybe the unmoved dinos get higtor decay but then why have so many egg kibbles ? Maybe if we drop down the kibbles....

Interesting theory on the cycles of players. The problem with the cap is a big issue and trolls for new players. I hope they either fix it soon, or announce a new game that won't have this problem. Ark 2? Or make unofficial with out a tether and accesabe to people they chose, so new players can still enjoy it and play when they want.

There is no easy fix for the taming cap issue. I have proposed in a past forum that they add dino unlocks to the game that could be used in breeding new dinos. This would remove the need to store many dinos just for color channels and partial stats. Many dinos have 6 color channels and you will only get one of them in a dino mutation meaning that inorder to have a fully mutated dino you would need at least 6 all with different channels depending on whether the sexes are right. The same is also true of stats as there are 7 stats 4 to 6 that many people care about requiring many dinos until the stats are combined together. If it was instead an unlock then you could choose unlocked stats in the breeding processes without requiring the player to hold onto all of those dinos. This could potentially bring down the population by 50% or more.

I would also like to see the ability to store dinos into liquid filled glass hibernation tubes that have a slot for eggs. This would allow for less server lag as the dino wouldn't need to be rendered or its AI. There could be a lower slot that allows for kibble eggs to drop and fertilized eggs when you choose for the dinos to be breed. This all could be tek level but doing so would make the less capable tribes be responsible for server lag.  

Fourth cycle aaaall the way on my island server. It is SO annoying. Humans and Bobs everywhere, been permanently capped for half a year now. Daily arguments bout why we have so many tames and why there are pillars "everywhere". Like, come on.

Another server, no cap. Everyone is friendly and relaxed, people help each other and new players are welcome, as it should be.

New server, capped after 3 weeks, because everyone's hoarding like crazy. Fill your tribe tame limit before someone else does it, you know cap will happen before you know it. Greed rules.

There have been WAY too few servers from the start to begin with, then they got capped within like 2 months and nothing happened. No reaction, no statement, nothing. We got breeding and holiday events we couldn't make any use of because servers were capped. We were left on capped servers for half a year, unable to play the game the way it should be, unable to play the way we used to during pre-release where we had 3 times as many servers and half the amount of players. New players flooding in with every sale and holiday, even on regular weekends. HOW exactly are people supposed not to get frustrated and angry? Greed lies within our nature, protect your tribe. Tame spaceholders. That's what happened on the few new servers we got. That's what will happen on any new servers we'll get in the future. The same tribes will just hoard and contribute to the cap in order to aviod being affected by it. Even if egg farms weren't needed anymore and we'd have storage servers, noone would get rid of their tames, because if nothing else, they're spaceholders. The only way I really see out of this is a combination of the following:

- add some more servers AND REMOVE TAME CAP
- complete kibble system overhaul so that A LOT fewer egg layers are needed. Let them be tames that everyone uses anyway, like Anky, Theri, Rex etc. Add substitutes for kibble also
- storage servers with the advantage of better egg laying rates, less food loss, only passive/friendly dinos, no tame, no breeding, longer decay times
- maybe even lower the tribe tame limit, since unused dinos can be stored on storage servers
- no taming below level 10 or even higher (as it is on the fresh servers. Really like it. Less useless abandoned level 5 tames that are left for 8 days to decay)
- add a threshold in terms of lag/ping/tames that doesn't allow new players (who haven't previously played on the map) to enter until it's back to a lower level
- at this point I wouldn't even mind a global wipe if that means a better future and a sustainably enjoyable game

I know that more tamed dinos on a server means more lag and uses more resources. But without the need to have hundreds of egg layers and spaceholders in addition to having storage servers, the amount of dinos would probably be reduced by AT LEAST 50%. New as well as old players could play together and enjoy the game again like it used to be.

For the millionth time, make kibble use meat specific to a dino that's killed. Play with the numbers. Get rid of the egg crap. 

The release of the sheep, mutton, was a half hearted solution for taming carnivores until they nerfed it. Bring it back and Give it the same effectiveness as kibble, and watch egg layers for canivores slowly wash away.

If tribes just tamed for breeding, and simply bred, Im sure a few more tribes could reach the tribe limit themselves. The server cap would incorporate more tribes. 

Guest DJRone89
10 minutes ago, Corrigan said:

For the millionth time, make kibble use meat specific to a dino that's killed. Play with the numbers. Get rid of the egg crap. 

The release of the sheep, mutton, was a half hearted solution for taming carnivores until they nerfed it. Bring it back and Give it the same effectiveness as kibble, and watch egg layers for canivores slowly wash away.

If tribes just tamed for breeding, and simply bred, Im sure a few more tribes could reach the tribe limit themselves. The server cap would incorporate more tribes. 

It won’t make a significant difference. People will still hoard regardless of what it is. The only thing this will affect is new players to the game but they would just take longer to reach the cap.

People want change but aren’t prepared to make their own sacrifices. Even if kibble was revamped and made a difference, do you really expect everyone on that server to comply?

21 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

It won’t make a significant difference. People will still hoard regardless of what it is. The only thing this will affect is new players to the game but they would just take longer to reach the cap.

People want change but aren’t prepared to make their own sacrifices. Even if kibble was revamped and made a difference, do you really expect everyone on that server to comply?

Not instantly, no. But it would make a difference, yes. 

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, Corrigan said:

Not instantly, no. But it would make a difference, yes. 

People will hoard other dinos instead. So, no difference.

27 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

People will hoard other dinos instead. So, no difference.

Not at the rate in which people hoard for the kibble form, no. Will tame cap eventually be reached? Sure, But more tribes will be able to play into the tame cap game, which is what we're aiming for than what is currently allowed because people won't be hoarding for a kibble farm. There's no 'end all' scenario here, so getting rid of the kibble farms is the most logical solution for the time being, unless they get rid of the tame cap entirely. So don't act smart. 

Guest DJRone89
16 minutes ago, Corrigan said:

Not at the rate in which people hoard for the kibble form, no. Will tame cap eventually be reached? Sure, But more tribes will be able to play into the game cap game than what currently allows because people won't be hoarding for a kibble farm. There's no 'end all' scenario here, so getting rid of the kibble farms is the most logical solution for the time being, unless they get rid of the tame cap entirely. 

They will just replace their kibble farm with more desirable dinos instead. The only immediate affect the kibble revamp will do is the initial culling of dinos. It won’t take long to reach tame cap again.

Most tribe will have the same idea; better cull the dinos we no longer need and replace them with the dinos we want before we reach tame cap again. Literally a lot of tribes will think the same and you will all be in the same mess, just further down the line.

The devs need to think outside the box and look to add in harsher PvE environments so that your dinos are as easier to die outside of PvP. If people stop taking out their dinos and using them, you are then playing dino storage simulator.

49 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

They will just replace their kibble farm with more desirable dinos instead. The only immediate affect the kibble revamp will do is the initial culling of dinos. It won’t take long to reach tame cap again.

Most tribe will have the same idea; better cull the dinos we no longer need and replace them with the dinos we want before we reach tame cap again. Literally a lot of tribes will think the same and you will all be in the same mess, just further down the line.

The devs need to think outside the box and look to add in harsher PvE environments so that your dinos are as easier to die outside of PvP. If people stop taking out their dinos and using them, you are then playing dino storage simulator.

Ok, but we live in this real world where WC is incompetent and is not going to Revamp the current PVE environment/playstyle from the ground up. It's just not going to happen anytime soon. Therefore as I said, the most logical solution is to get rid of the kibble farm. It will still take LONGER for the average tribe to reach the tribe dino cap with essential/desirable Dino's than what the current playstyle allows. No matter what, PVE is going to be a dino storage simulator. The goal however is to get more tribes under the server tame cap than what it currently allows because 1/3 to a 1/2 of everyone's Dino's are for eggs. Unless they lessen the tribe tame cap after they get rid of necessity of kibble farms, yea, people on established PVE servers aren't going to cull their egg layers right off the bat. They'll need an incentive to do so which leads me to this: 

Now, someone did mention long ago that in PVE we should have our Dino's buffed, stat wise, based upon the percentage towards your tribes tame cap. Smaller percentages towards cap should buff your Dino's more. As your percentage towards tribe tame cap gets higher your buff gets weaker. This is hardly a revamp, but also a possible solution. The only flaw is that people will spread Dino's across multiple servers even more so. 

If it was up to me, get rid of the egg Farm, get rid of the server cap but lessen the tribe tame cap. 

Guest DJRone89
25 minutes ago, Corrigan said:

Ok, but we live in this real world where WC is incompetent and is not going to Revamp the PVE environment from the ground up. It's not going to happen. Therefore as I said, the most logical solution is to get rid of the kibble farm. It will still  take LONGER for the average tribe to reach the tribe dino cap with essential/desirable Dino's than what the current playstyle supports. No matter what PVE is going to be a dino storage simulator. The goal is to get more tribes in the tame cap game than what currently allows because 1/3 to a 1/2 of everyone's Dino's are for eggs. 

Now, someone did mention long ago that in PVE we should have our Dino's buffed, stat wise, based upon the percentage towards your tribes tame cap. Smaller percentages towards cap should buff your Dino's more. As your percentage towards tribe tame cap gets higher your buff gets weaker. This is hardly a revamp, but also a possible solution. The only flaw is that people will spread Dino's across multiple servers even more so. 

It doesn’t matter what system is in place, if you think all tribes will hold hands just because they can free up some dino space, then you need to rethink what the true outcome of the kibble revamp will do.

Increasing caps is not an option as the hardware isn’t good enough. If anything, the caps should be lowered to reduce server lag.

4 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

It doesn’t matter what system is in place, if you think all tribes will hold hands just because they can free up some dino space, then you need to rethink what the true outcome of the kibble revamp will do.

Increasing caps is not an option as the hardware isn’t good enough. If anything, the caps should be lowered to reduce server lag.

Yea I'm aware. I edited my post to counter this argument. Lower the tribe tame cap after the necessity of kibble farms is gone, and therefore force tribes to cull tames who have reached the old tribe cap. We want more tribes in the game is the goal. 

Archived