Otter Taming Efficiency

Arielzhou

2 hours ago, Arielzhou said:

Does anyone know how taming efficiency works on the otter?

I just tamed a 145 with all ichthy buffed salmon and it only came out at like 80% or something.

Based on personal experience, combined with looking at Dododex and the wiki on Gamepedia, it looks like it's a combination of three factors:
1) the type of fish

2) The multiplier on the fish

3) whether you're using an Ichthy to catch the fish

Sabertooth Salmon is the most efficient, and fish with higher multipliers are more effective. So for example if you're taming a Lvl 150 Otter, feeding it salmon that all have a 1.5x multiplier will tame it with 98.8% efficiency and give it +74 levels during the tame process. Whereas salmon that have a 0.5x multiplier will only give it +68 levels during the taming process (because it has to eat more times before it's tamed, just like most other tames). And what this means is that you want to be picky about which fish you use to tame it, if you just grab the most convenient fish that happen to be nearby then you're almost always going to end up with a sub-par tame unless you just happen to get lucky.

I'm assuming that the Ichthy buff increases the multiplier of the fish, but I don't know by how much and I don't know if it can improve the multiplier of the 1.5x salmon, or if 1.5x is the maximum you can get per fish.

Personally, I think the taming mechanism is too unforgiving, there are so many other tames that you can guarantee a perfect tame with even just a little bit of planning. But with an otter you have to find a good level otter and you have to be lucky enough to have salmon with good taming multipliers nearby. Even putting the otter in a taming trap is no guarantee, you can still get unlucky by not having any good salmon available.

Archived