Fresh start or end game; which do you enjoy the most?

Guest DJRone89

Guest DJRone89

Having restarted so many times, I actually enjoying starting out fresh. Each play through I try to do things differently but my start is usually the same; build small, level up, and focus on harvest gathering tames first before expanding out.

Do you enjoy starting out fresh or do you prefer the end game for the long haul?

I don't have people in my tribe.  Once I am well established and have achieved whatever particular goals I have set for myself, I tend to find a player who is getting established, does not ask for help (much), tends to help others if they can and I offer them my tribe.  I have them join, make them owner, then quit the tribe and start a new toon on another server.  I then set myself a different set of goals and get to work.  Rinse and repeat.

Guest DJRone89
3 minutes ago, JamesDoty said:

I don't have people in my tribe.  Once I am well established and have achieved whatever particular goals I have set for myself, I tend to find a player who is getting established, does not ask for help (much), tends to help others if they can and I offer them my tribe.  I have them join, make them owner, then quit the tribe and start a new toon on another server.  I then set myself a different set of goals and get to work.  Rinse and repeat.

So rather than just starting a fresh, you pass on your stuff so someone else can continue your work. Quality stuff and a great community player.

I like both the early game stuff as well as the later game stuff. Love starting out when absolutely everything is out to get you, so much fun, although I do like it when you get established enough to stop worrying about survival (most of the time) and can start doing other things like exploring and caving. I guess I like every part of the 'journey'.

I like both. Ive put my thousands of hours maintaining official bases and its nice to just start fresh. @JamesDoty thats a brilliant idea and wish i thought of that :P

That being said, theres just some feeling you get on a fresh start when you get all your tames for farming etc that feels good. I like to restart with special conditions to make it more of a challenge

6 hours ago, JamesDoty said:

This. I have done this on about 10 different officials. I always try and find someone who will use everything, the great base spots I have acquired along with ALL of the dinos I have. I refuse to give everything to someone who just wants to pick thru your gear and dinos and then dump the rest.

Guest DJRone89
4 minutes ago, Juggernaut said:

I wish there was more building tiers, it seems like we progress so fast past wood and thatch that once you hit stone the environment is no longer a threat. I miss being a beginner and hiding in my half thatch and half wood house, spending the night time inside for fear of Dino's.

Completely agree. At least before the harvest and XP rates were hardcoded at twice the rate, and the inclusion of XP boosts, the building tiers had more of a purpose.

Now, I tend to hold out as much as possible until I reach stone tier. Literally mapping out my base in thatch and mostly skipping wood if I have enough time in that game session.

• Volunteer Moderator

I like both sides of the game.

Early game can even be more fun, at least for me, when trying out a new map(official or mod) and/or a new mod that changes things up, with new dino tiers and/or random NPC tribes; these can be much harder for you to get a foot hold and/or you have to change your tactics to survive.

Once end game hits, it become a little more about finding those perfect tames, building outpost for fun/challenge/scenery, and trying out new ways to doing things, like experimenting with boss runs, caves, etc.

Having restarted so many times, I actually enjoying starting out fresh. Each play through I try to do things differently but my start is usually the same; build small, level up, and focus on harvest gathering tames first before expanding out.
Do you enjoy starting out fresh or do you prefer the end game for the long haul?
Honestly I don't care for either. My favorite part is more middle. I like when I have a few good Dino's but not a ton and when I have just a simple stone base. Although I have now gone way past a few Dino's I still have stuck with a pretty simple base because it is more fun. I prefer not to have the struggle and frustration of trolls murdering me as a newb but I don't like grinding just to keep my stuff fed

Guest DJRone89
41 minutes ago, Sneakysmegal said:
9 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Honestly I don't care for either. My favorite part is more middle. I like when I have a few good Dino's but not a ton and when I have just a simple stone base. Although I have now gone way past a few Dino's I still have stuck with a pretty simple base because it is more fun. I prefer not to have the struggle and frustration of trolls murdering me as a newb but I don't like grinding just to keep my stuff fed

Playing within your means. Good stuff.

Fresh starts can be fun because it gives you a goal to strive for such as breeding boss dinos or building up a nice base, but when you aren't playing on a PVP server and you reach end game you kinda realize how shallow the game's content actually is, because you basically get limited to running caves with small dinos and fighting bosses with your big ones.  Cave running is fun, but boss fights get boring after a while, especially since you are pretty much limited to Rexes, Therizinos, Spinos and a few support dinos.

I find starting over to be overrated. Despite being fully built on a server for nearly 2 years at that point, as soon as the Official-Legacy split was announced I changed gears. Every day for about a month, I led start over practice sessions so that, come launch day, everyone would have a much better idea of what to do. Basically spawn in new characters on highly populated servers and go follow a plan built for efficient start-up. Gets very tedious very quickly. Come launch day there were a few hiccups along the way day 1, day 2 we were killing Titans on foot, come day 3 we were clearly ahead of everyone else and by day 4 we were unquestionably so. There are so many cooler things to do in the late game, and getting fully established is just a chore required to get to those things.

Archived