Just how tough is an Alpha Rex?

prodigy1202

Hello again fellow awesome people,

I'm taking my first excursion to the West Lava Cave on the Center map, before I get to the Alpha rex part I have a couple of questions: first: Is the SCUBA gear absolutely necessary or am I able to go without it? Same question regarding grappling hooks.

Also, upon arriving at the lava island I got dangerously close to a level 20 Alpha Rex. Now I have a group of fighters with me (not big ones, but fighters nonetheless). My security mount for this squad is a Rex named King. He's level 265. Would that be enough to take on a level 20 alpha rex? King has 20,000 health and 1000% melee damage. The rest of the guys in my party include three level 200+ Direbears, a level 200 Purlovia, a level 240+ Pulmino and a level 160 Baryonyx, but I don't wanna chance losing any of these guys. (Also, yes I know that none of them besides my Purlovia can fit into the cave, I just figured that out a few minutes ago)

33 minutes ago, prodigy1202 said:

I'm taking my first excursion to the West Lava Cave on the Center map, before I get to the Alpha rex part I have a couple of questions: first: Is the SCUBA gear absolutely necessary or am I able to go without it? Same question regarding grappling hooks.

Also, upon arriving at the lava island I got dangerously close to a level 20 Alpha Rex. Now I have a group of fighters with me (not big ones, but fighters nonetheless). My security mount for this squad is a Rex named King. He's level 265. Would that be enough to take on a level 20 alpha rex? King has 20,000 health and 1000% melee damage. The rest of the guys in my party include three level 200+ Direbears, a level 200 Purlovia, a level 240+ Pulmino and a level 160 Baryonyx, but I don't wanna chance losing any of these guys. (Also, yes I know that none of them besides my Purlovia can fit into the cave, I just figured that out a few minutes ago)

Edit: for some reason I pictured east lava cave when you said west. Disregard, I'm an idiot. I haven't don't this cave yet so I'm not sure. 

As for alpha rexs, your rex should be able to take it out. They are strong, but by no means are they anywhere near a giga. I take them out with our boss rexs when I see them as long as they aren't too high of a lvl. I would assume you'd be fine, but best bet is if you are unsure, just stay away.

Hello,

Sounds like most answers are: its easy. Well it is not. My biggest fear is that I get into a bad place having the alpha rex behind me.

So the alpha rex is super fast.

First attack must be from the front, after that it is just as easy as all say. So wait it out until it stops moving and attack from front side of alpha Rex.

Do it with a weak Rex just to learn. I am learning the dragon boss fight over again. Running 8 times now in single player and a lot more to go. If I want to win the fight.

Regards, 

Ariana 

• 7 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:08 AM, prodigy1202 said:

In my opinion, they are pretty damn easy. King will slaughter most alpha rexes and I can say that a wyvern with 25k hp and 350% damage can kill a lvl 85 alpha rex staying completely on the ground and only biting. I cannot speak for your bears, but one of mine has 12k hp and 500 melee, 70 armor saddle, which so far has killed alpha rexes up to lvl 100. If I were you I would kill it with King, I can guarantee you won't loose him, good luck! :D

On 5/8/2018 at 10:08 PM, prodigy1202 said:

Those bears will contribute a lot of damage to killing the alpha.  Direbears are like furry lower HP Rexs, they hit like trucks!  Freakin' love bears.

On 5/9/2018 at 12:08 AM, prodigy1202 said:

Also, upon arriving at the lava island I got dangerously close to a level 20 Alpha Rex. Now I have a group of fighters with me (not big ones, but fighters nonetheless). My security mount for this squad is a Rex named King. He's level 265. Would that be enough to take on a level 20 alpha rex?

The general rule of thumb for alphas is that they are 4x as strong as a regular animal. You almost never need to do any calculating based on "my animal has xxx health and xxx melee", you simply look at the level, multiply x4, and then decide whether you would fight a standard animal at that x4 level.

If you've leveled your rex the way most people do (melee & HP) you could easily go face-to-face with a standard Lvl 300 rex or a Lvl 75 alpha rex. (I know, there's no such thing as a standard Lvl 300 rex, I'm just using that as a basis for comparison, since tamed animals can almost always beat wild animals that are higher level than they are).

Archived