(plz help) Hyaenodon Taming Trouble

prodigy1202

Hi, guys,

I've had Ark for about a year now. I'm not exactly a new player. I've tamed all manner of creatures: Rexes, Spinos, Gigas, Brontos etc. Today alone I tamed a Mammoth and a Paracer, but for some reason I've been having trouble taming a Hyaenodon of all things. If I understand the use of the Hyaenodon correctly I feel like it's not some gamebreaking OP dino or anything so why am I having so much trouble with it?

Let me explain what I've been doing so yall can tell me where I'm going wrong. The Hyaenodon I'm trying to tame is a male level 130. When I found it I picked it up with my Pteranodon and dropped it into my taming pen. This is the same taming pen that I used on my Gigantopithecus, Bobo. I figured this would be a similar tame in terms of style, but this has been far FAR more difficult. For this one I saw that the wiki recommended a Ghillie suit, so I went through the trouble of making one. I was in a Ghillie suit and the Hyaenodon was in my taming pen. I was set. I then crouched and walked into the taming pen...and almost immediately the Hyaenodon noticed me and started running in circles. I flew out of render distance and back to undo the aggro, and tried again. again it ran away. I did this for about two hours, but for some reason the Hyaenodon just notices me every time. Is there any possible reason that's not on the wiki for me to be having so much trouble for this?

The easiest way to tame a Hyaenodon, in my opinion, is to build a taming pen with a higher part made out of hatchframes. The hatchframe part should be one wall higher than the foundation and either 1x1 or 1x2 so the doggo cant walk around too much. This way you can crouch under him, you can still pet him but he won't see you. Unless you come out of the crouching position

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2018 at 3:35 AM, Wukken said:

The easiest way to tame a Hyaenodon, in my opinion, is to build a taming pen with a higher part made out of hatchframes. The hatchframe part should be one wall higher than the foundation and either 1x1 or 1x2 so the doggo cant walk around too much. This way you can crouch under him, you can still pet him but he won't see you. Unless you come out of the crouching position

Wow, I never thought of that. Excellent idea! I may go as far as to just build a taming pen built with Hyaenodon in mind using your specifications.

On 5/12/2018 at 3:35 AM, Wukken said:

And this type of pen can be used for horse taming too, and big foots

Okay, so I just wasted about two hours of my time trying to tame one of these little bastards. I don’t know what it is about this guys but every time I try to tame one and fail it feels like I’m being repeatedly kicked in the sausage without being able to do anything about it. I admit that I have yet to try the hatch team taming pen idea. I actually built it and dropped a level 130 Hyaenodon into it, but it turns out that Hyaenodon can jump over 1-high walls, which just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but whatever. I tried to tame it the old fashioned way and failed miserably, repeatedly. I got it up to 77% tamed at one point!! Most of the time it felt like the game was just not giving me the petting prompt in time until I was within its aggro range which is INSANELY ANNOYING!!! I think I’m gonna try again tomorrow. If this hatchframe idea fails I might just stop playing Ark for a while since that would mean I wouldn’t be able to complete one of my primary goals of the game: to tame every creature. Seriously, how the raptor do you people manage to tame this thing...

oh oh I see. The forum replaces explatives with dinosaur names...well Incase you’re all curious I said f*ck with a ‘u’ where the star is. Sorry, I just hate censorship.

• 5 months later...

Ok after much trial and error I got this to work.

What I did is this.  I put the Hyaenodon in a structure that was built as a one by one on a foundation elevated one level I.E. Level 1 : foundation Level 2: a Wall, Level 3: en enclosed box with a door frame on one side.  Right next to this structure I build a a fence foundation one wall and a ceiling (on the same side as the door frame.  I also build a ramp going up to the ceiling.

This placed me slightly lower then the Hyaenodon so I could crouch and peek into through the door frame and not be seen at all.

1By1

Wall                    Ceiling

Foundation       Fence Foundation     Ramp

On 5/12/2018 at 1:35 AM, Wukken said:

I've used this method as well.  If they do notice you, just go out of render and back in and they are usually calmed back down - which is true of all passive tames (at least it used to be, I haven't played in a couple months).

• 11 months later...
On 5/8/2018 at 7:24 PM, Blarrg said:

It might also be your pen. Have you tried a taming pen like this one? I've had great success with it.

So I've built this exact pen, even paused your video to make sure I had all the proper materials and proper amounts of each, my tames are far away, I have cleared the area of aggressive dinos, there are no other Hyaenodons around. As soon as I open the door, even completely laying flat on the ground and moving slowly, it instantly aggros on me and starts running around. I even took my tames and flew around to make sure the aggro went away and came back and it's still doing the same thing. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and it's honestly a little frustrating. If you could offer any assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

if there are more then one in the area, and one of them is a pack leader you won't be able to tame either,  you need to make sure there isn't a pack leader in the area.  I had one that i kept getting to 60% and then it would suddenly startle and start running, it was because a pack leader kept wandering into the area, after the pack leader was taken care of I didn't have any problem taming it.

I'v tamed a few of these guys, in pens and regular. 

Full ghilly suit and stay crouched behind it.  It was harder in the pen because it would turn around a lot. 

If your laying down or under it and your in past the 90 degrees from side to side to the front,  it "sees" you and runs. 

It takes awhile but you get used to its walking pattern, they pause for a few seconds then turn, so just following it in crouch become easier. 

Archived