Spino vs Rex

Fijiwolf

Never cared for rex. I'm lvl 100 (no power leveling), have a big base and almost everything, but I have not a single rex because I find them totally unappealing. 

I have like 20 spinos.

There are several Ark spino vs. rex videos on Youtube. In the vids I watched (after TLC 1 videos) spino wins most of the time.

#teamspino

Are we talking wild or tamed?  Because a tamed Rex can be pumped several different ways while the spino is pretty much just limited to Melee being pumped.  The Rex has great HP and pretty good melee, you can make him a tank with 30k hp and 700ish melee, or you can pump everything into melee and leave his HP around 15k so he is a glass cannon just like the spino.  A good spino (Which is much harder to come by) is going to max his HP out around 20k and thats pretty much going to eat up most of his levels, so usually pumping everything into melee is preferred.  If we factor in both having higher tier saddles it will start to boil down more into who has more bulk, so the tamed Tanky Rex should have the slight advantage.  If they are wild or have garbage saddles the Spino has a slight edge due to his damage edge on the rex.  Thats my opinion at least.

Here's my thoughts on it:

Pros vs Cons 1 - Rex has better health, but Spino has better dps.

Analysis: At first glance this appears to be an even trade off, except that Spino's dps advantage has proven to be bigger than Rex's health advantage. Someone correct me if there's a difference in stat scaling that I'm unaware of, but from what I can tell Spino appears to just be the better fighter now.

Score: Rex 0 Spino 1

Pros vs Cons 2 - Rex has better carry weight, but Spino can swim.

Analysis: I'm strongly inclined to say that this is a win for Spino, but admittedly this one is subjective and might come down to personal preference or bias. So I'll call it even.

Pros vs Cons 3 - Rex has a poop roar, but Spino gets a buff from touching water

Analysis: There's nothing subjective about this one. The poop stun, while it does add some dramatic flair to his roar, is not actually useful unlike Spino's hydrated buff.

Score: Rex 0 Spino 2

Pros vs Cons 4 - Spino is faster, and also gets extra fish harvesting. I can't think of any other advantages for the Rex.

Analysis: +2 points for Spino.

Final Score: Rex 0 Spino 4

Conclusion: I'm guessing that WC is banking on the poop roar actually being useful, or on the four-legged stance actually being a weakness? Whatever the case, other than the fact that Spino hasn't yet received his Tek saddle I'd say he's head and shoulders above Rex right now.

2 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

Here's my thoughts on it:

Pros vs Cons 1 - Rex has better health, but Spino has better dps.

Analysis: At first glance this appears to be an even trade off, except that Spino's dps advantage has proven to be bigger than Rex's health advantage. Someone correct me if there's a difference in stat scaling that I'm unaware of, but from what I can tell Spino appears to just be the better fighter now.

Pros vs Cons 2 - Rex has better carry weight, but Spino can swim.

Analysis: I'm strongly inclined to say that this is a win for Spino, but admittedly this one is subjective and might come down to personal preference or bias. So I'll call it even.

Pros vs Cons 3 - Rex has a poop roar, but Spino gets a buff from touching water

Analysis: There's nothing subjective about this one. The poop stun, while it does add some dramatic flair to his roar, is not actually useful unlike Spino's hydrated buff.

Score: Rex 0 Spino 2

Pros vs Cons 4 - Spino is faster, and also gets extra fish harvesting. I can't think of any other advantages for the Rex.

Analysis: +2 points for Spino.

Final Score: Rex 0 Spino 4

Conclusion: I'm guessing that WC is banking on the poop roar actually being useful, or on the four-legged stance actually being a weakness? Whatever the case, other than the fact that Spino hasn't yet received his Tek saddle I'd say he's head and shoulders above Rex right now.

You forgot to mention that the Spino can turn on the spot when on 2 feet. Might not sound like much, but for an OCD riddled gamer like myself, it REALLY helps when organising the Dinos at the base

Yea the ark spino can hold its own with rexes even at high bred stat levels (rex 17k 525m maxed at 40k 1200m and Spino with 8k 414 maxed at 30k 850m) 

But I will say barley because if the rex didn't roar all the time or got in one more bite the spino would died. (500 left) also it was in the spinos turf so the rex and Spino can kill each other depending on the situation and advantages. 

Unless something's changed, I think that Spinos revert to 4-feet position when not ridden in bossfights or such?   So the ideal for bossfights remains a mixed group, 1 rider on yuty, rest of riders on Spinos, non ridden rexes OR Theriz.    Ridden pig if desired.

A lot of the "pros and cons" above are really trivial too.    Noone uses a Spino for mobility or for underwater; any flier beats them most places and a rock drake is leagues better on aberration.    In the water, one random level 5 Jellyfish can kill your level 300 Spino if not careful or he sneaks from behind a rock.    That really goes for any water creature and is the reason Basils and Tusos are the go-to water creatures, especially for the east water cave.     Similarly, noone uses a rex for carryweight, Quetz are the hands down champs on maps with the Rex, and even if the player doesn't have a quetz yet there are better answers.   

34 minutes ago, Migol said:

Unless something's changed, I think that Spinos revert to 4-feet position when not ridden in bossfights or such?   So the ideal for bossfights remains a mixed group, 1 rider on yuty, rest of riders on Spinos, non ridden rexes OR Theriz.    Ridden pig if desired. 

Unridden Spinos do fight on 2-legs and can be buffed via the puddles of water in the Broodmother arena. I recently killed Alpha brood with 19 spinos and 1 yuty, it was a very quick encounter but I did lose 2 Spinos. The biggest challenges I faced were fitting 19 spinos at an obelisk and trying to pull the boss near to a large puddle. I put the majority of points into health and only managed to get my Spinos to 30k Health which is just not enough to be safe.

Maintaining the water buff on unridden Spinos is tricky and unreliable so I agree that a mix of unridden Rexes and ridden Spinos for the broodmother (+Yuty ofc) would be the way to go.

1 hour ago, Migol said:

A lot of the "pros and cons" above are really trivial too.    Noone uses a Spino for mobility or for underwater; any flier beats them most places and a rock drake is leagues better on aberration.    In the water, one random level 5 Jellyfish can kill your level 300 Spino if not careful or he sneaks from behind a rock.    That really goes for any water creature and is the reason Basils and Tusos are the go-to water creatures, especially for the east water cave.     Similarly, noone uses a rex for carryweight, Quetz are the hands down champs on maps with the Rex, and even if the player doesn't have a quetz yet there are better answers.   

I agree to a point. The main reason I got into the nitty gritty details is because I'm trying to give WC the benefit of the doubt and assume that they're at least trying to achieve some form of balance. Because if we just look at fighting prowess and nothing else then the Rex comes out looking even worse. We have a Spino that starts out better than the Rex on the Rex's own turf and only gets better when he has the hydrated buff.

As I understand it Spino goes on all fours when he needs to chase something but forgets to get back into combat stance when it's time to. Thats either an oversight in the programming which will get fixed eventually, or a really stupid way to try to balance it.

Archived