Charge pets - Capacity vs Regen vs Range

Frogspoison

Hey all. While Charge pets are of undeniable importance in Aberration, the question I am pondering atm is which of the 3 stats are the best to invest in?

Charge Capacity is pretty straightforward, as it's the amount of time a Charge Pet can emit it's light before it needs to regen. Of course, this has me wondering, do the 4 different pets consume Charge Capacity at a different rate, or do all pets have the same Charge consumption?

Charge Regen seems to be how much Charge the pet regenerates every minute - I.E at 600 Charge regen, the light pet regens 10 charge per second, near as I can tell.

Charge Emission Range is, of course, how far the range goes. This makes me wonder though, what does the %age increase? The radius, diameter, circumference, area?

As for my current thoughts...

#1 - Charge Capacity. You want enough Capacity to last you through a fight with a reaper, with the best indicator being a Alpha Reaper Surface King, since it can get ugly without one. This, of course, depends on your weaponry/mount of choice, so can vary.

#2 - Charge Range. You want enough range so that your weaponry/mount of choice hits charge-affected nameless/reaper - If you are using, say, a Direbear, the charge range can be much smaller then if you are using, say, a Spino, who's large hit distance means that you need a larger range. Of course, you may need to take into account the aggro radius of burrowed nameless, since if the charge light is covering the nameless, then it won't hop out of the ground, and with a large enough radius, you could potentially not have to deal with Nameless in an area.

#3 - Charge Regen. You want enough Capacity to last through a tough fight, but you likely will want enough Regen so that you can fight more often with the Charge up. For instance, if you are hunting Alpha Reapers for XP on the surface, and 6k capacity is enough to get you through the fight, but you only have 600 regen, that means you can only afford to fight an alpha once every 10 minutes, and this DOESN'T include the constant pestering of the regular kings and nameless.

Also, on  secondary note, how do you keybind the light emote?

So, thoughts? Am I misunderstanding how the Charge mechanics work?

• Volunteer Moderator

The light emote is on the emote wheel, so when you open your emote wheel hover the mouse over the light option and press a button on the keyboard. For mine I currently have it set as ' [ '.

As for the stats I normally focus on Capacity and Range and not so much regen. Regen to me is not much use.

For example, I prepped for the Alpha Rockwell fight, I went in with a Bulbdog that had 6000 capacity and it lasted the entire fight and longer, and it was fully charged at the start. With a Bulbdog with 6000, or even 5000 capacity fully charged will last a long time.

Now, you mentioned about 6k capacity maybe getting you through one fight but with low regen you will have to wait a while to fight again, but the key there is to have multiple lightpets with 6k capacity. Use one, go back to base drop it off pick up the next. Also don't forget the charge bugs, you can charge them 500 on the fly, so to speak.

So yeah, for me first and foremost is capacity, then range, then regen.

2 hours ago, GP said:

The light emote is on the emote wheel, so when you open your emote wheel hover the mouse over the light option and press a button on the keyboard. For mine I currently have it set as ' [ '.

As for the stats I normally focus on Capacity and Range and not so much regen. Regen to me is not much use.

For example, I prepped for the Alpha Rockwell fight, I went in with a Bulbdog that had 6000 capacity and it lasted the entire fight and longer, and it was fully charged at the start. With a Bulbdog with 6000, or even 5000 capacity fully charged will last a long time.

Now, you mentioned about 6k capacity maybe getting you through one fight but with low regen you will have to wait a while to fight again, but the key there is to have multiple lightpets with 6k capacity. Use one, go back to base drop it off pick up the next. Also don't forget the charge bugs, you can charge them 500 on the fly, so to speak.

So yeah, for me first and foremost is capacity, then range, then regen.

Oooo, I wasn't aware that you could use glowbugs to recharge pets, thought it was only for batteries. That does make regen a bit less useful in most areas, since there are almost always a dozen glowbugs around.

I am mainly focused on adding stat to both Capacity and Regen, more on the former. I have little need for adding stat towards Range unless its absurdly low, because for the most part, the charge light are meant to keep the nameless at bay in areas they often spawn at, and unless you are using Bulbdog at its weakest stat roll of range, you only need to be within the range of light.

Capacity makes it so the charge light pet can store more charge light, but I also wanted to focus on regen as well, for a simple reason. The amount of charge the shoulder dino gives reduces when it is active, and Regen just utterly slows down the rate of drain since it charges up so fast with decent stat, so much that draining 1 per  would take around 1-5 min.

If it helps as well, Bulbdog usually are the best stat for capacity, Glowtails on Regen and Featherlight on Range. Shinehorn is literally the only Jack-Of-All-Trade imho.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, Vaculity said:

Capacity makes it so the charge light pet can store more charge light, but I also wanted to focus on regen as well, for a simple reason. The amount of charge the shoulder dino gives reduces when it is active, and Regen just utterly slows down the rate of drain since it charges up so fast with decent stat, so much that draining 1 per  would take around 1-5 min.

If it helps as well, Bulbdog usually are the best stat for capacity, Glowtails on Regen and Featherlight on Range. Shinehorn is literally the only Jack-Of-All-Trade imho.

Are you sure Regen slows down the rate of drain? I'm pretty sure regen only works when either the capacity is depleted, or you switch the light off. I don't believe the regen works whilst the light is active, and therefore does not slow down the rate of drain.

3 hours ago, GP said:

Are you sure Regen slows down the rate of drain? I'm pretty sure regen only works when either the capacity is depleted, or you switch the light off. I don't believe the regen works whilst the light is active, and therefore does not slow down the rate of drain.

It does, I tested it on SP. I noticed when using a Featherlight that has not been leveled on its Regen (default) and when compared to ones that has regens added to its level. One was cloned to have the same stat (yes, the non-clone was force-tamed wild to ensure there is no contradiction in the testing) as the other one, and upon looking and waiting, the ones with regen focus tends to last longer than the one that has not been leveled.

Archived