PC Maintenance & Enforcement Action discussion

ilidrael

Hey everyone.

so today as i was unfortunately breeding, server seemed to have crashed, but actualy it was intended.

no idea if an individual didnt play fair on our server, altho we fight undermeshers/aimbotters weekly, but yea, our server is currently gettin inspected/modified by admins while our baby starves.. :/ 

Praying they get it back on before i gotta go to work tomorrow :P 

for me this is a good thing if they can catch any kind of cheating, altho a lot of players are getting they day wasted.

I just dont understand why they have to down the server tho.

(hope this thread is okay with yall moderators)

we have 70 juvenile gigas. great timing for devs to choose to leave the server online while we cant feed. :/ oh well

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really interesting once again, how much WildCard cares about the  community. For once I can say that this is some really, really unfair stuff. The current servers affected concern several Mega Tribes which keep this game basicly alive, just due to their consistency. Yet again people are being straight up hit in the face with an "Enforcement". However I'm not saying that it is not necessary but the current servers that got taken down and might be potentially dev-wiped are mainly from one side of a Mega Tribe alliance which is not the one known for duping/meshing etc. 

Plus, keeping those server online with having Baby's starving, great job! Killing time as per usual, even though time is the most  highly valued factor in todays world.

24 minutes ago, Acea said:

It's really interesting once again, how much WildCard cares about the  community. For once I can say that this is some really, really unfair stuff. The current servers affected concern several Mega Tribes which keep this game basicly alive, just due to their consistency. Yet again people are being straight up hit in the face with an "Enforcement". However I'm not saying that it is not necessary but the current servers that got taken down and might be potentially dev-wiped are mainly from one side of a Mega Tribe alliance which is not the one known for duping/meshing etc. 

Plus, keeping those server online with having Baby's starving, great job! Killing time as per usual, even though time is the most  highly valued factor in todays world.

couldnt agree more.

when you see the enemy mega-ally only has tek structures, and gets a huge server rollback when we attack servers, i dont understand why we're the ones getting inspected. xD 

Anyway im not too concerned about our legitimaty, im more concerned about our breeding being pooped on. :/ 

25 minutes ago, isu said:

If they catch some huge cheaters on your server, they can devwipe whole servers, because there is high chance you were allies or you profited from it also. :)

i guess that would be fair in some way, altho, cheaters ally dont need to be on your server to profit.. smart cheaters will stay away the most they can to who they actualy profit. 

unknown.png?width=668&height=485

Bravo! Purge the unclean. 

My suggestion for the future - when you receive a report of a dupe tribe or undermesher, have a job that takes the most recent save for that server and stores it locally at studio wildcard. Review the save file and find what tribe and players own the dupe stations or under mesh bases. 

When you're certain you know what tribe it is, you can log on and remove the offenders in realtime without causing downtime or locking people out of the server. 

Just my suggestion. This is based off the assumption that you have reports of duping on these servers, but need to go in and physically verify there are under meshed bases before you take action.

12 minutes ago, RasFW said:

Bravo! Purge the unclean. 

My suggestion for the future - when you receive a report of a dupe tribe or undermesher, have a job that takes the most recent save for that server and stores it locally at studio wildcard. Review the save file and find what tribe and players own the dupe stations or under mesh bases. 

When you're certain you know what tribe it is, you can log on and remove the offenders in realtime without causing downtime or locking people out of the server. 

Just my suggestion. This is based off the assumption that you have reports of duping on these servers, but need to go in and physically verify there are under meshed bases before you take action.

Great idea.

Now i wonder.. were the servers in question given notice in advance? That would be silly if so.. then the cheaters had time to remove their favorite dinos, duped tek stuffs and evidence of duping.

Just now, d1nk said:

Great idea.

Now i wonder.. were the servers in question given notice in advance? That would be silly if so.. then the cheaters had time to remove their favorite dinos, duped tek stuffs and evidence of duping.

I'm thinking that's why there wasn't any notice. There are reports of duping, now they have to go in and find proof on the servers in the moment. No demoing things made to crash and rollback servers, no demoing your under mesh base. No moving your tames off the server and hiding them.

Just now, RasFW said:

I'm thinking that's why there wasn't any notice. There are reports of duping, now they have to go in and find proof on the servers in the moment. No demoing things made to crash and rollback servers, no demoing your under mesh base. No moving your tames off the server and hiding them.

So they werent warned in advance? Good. As it should be.

I really like the idea above about checking servers offsite first

38 minutes ago, d1nk said:

So they werent warned in advance? Good. As it should be.

I really like the idea above about checking servers offsite first

as it should be im not so sure... i mean we wouldnt have had tons of baby gigas if we knew we were gonna loose it because theres the possibility of ONE guy who cheated who knows when on our server... :/ (beside the hundrers undermeshers attacking us) the amount of time we lost... all those week mating gigas, all that meat farmed, all the effort...  Its crazy. And to see that its only one alliance thats being mostly targeted is super unfair.

As it should be.....assuming they roll back the server to the time they took it down....and it didn't take "6-9hrs" 6hrs fine....9 hrs fine...but 6-9 means all the breeders, not "affected" by this, that had eggs down, have to check continuously for 3 hrs, in the hopes that they rolled back the server.....assuming this is real time approximation instead of ark 6-9hrs which could be 2-82hrs....and if they don't roll back....dead babies....gone eggs....the hell with the people who paid for the game.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Lottimer said:

As it should be.....assuming they roll back the server to the time they took it down....and it didn't take "6-9hrs" 6hrs fine....9 hrs fine...but 6-9 means all the breeders, not "affected" by this, that had eggs down, have to check continuously for 3 hrs, in the hopes that they rolled back the server.....assuming this is real time approximation instead of ark 6-9hrs which could be 2-82hrs....and if they don't roll back....dead babies....gone eggs....the hell with the people who paid for the game.

How would a rollback work in this instance?

1 minute ago, GP said:

How would a rollback work in this instance?

yea it wouldnt...

They just shouldnt have said anything, shouldnt have downed the server, and just come online do what theyre doing now. Scared that cheaters hide their cheating if they know devs are on to them ? Then just note the cheating and act on it all at the same time. There, no one looses weeks of efforts beside cheaters. :D 

• Wildcard Community
2 minutes ago, ilidrael said:

yea it wouldnt...

They just shouldnt have said anything, shouldnt have downed the server, and just come online do what theyre doing now. Scared that cheaters hide their cheating if they know devs are on to them ? Then just note the cheating and act on it all at the same time. There, no one looses weeks of efforts beside cheaters. :D 

It just would not work that way. As we have stressed, this enforcement action will be a very time consuming one, lasting anywhere from 6-9 hours, possibly more. If we did not cordon off the servers and allowed people to come and go as they please, those caught in the middle of a malicious act would be able to inform other guilty parties of our actions and attempt to "clean house" during that 6-9 hour time frame, and by the time we approach the guilty party proof of their illicit acts would be beyond verification.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, ilidrael said:

yea it wouldnt...

I think it is probably better to do it in a controlled environment, i.e. one where no-one is actively playing. If something went wrong during the clean up then they can rollback without inconvenience players that are playing whilst they are doing their business. Also by having the server empty you don't have other players potentially getting in the way etc.

I get what you're saying.

Now im just really hoping that they do rollback the servers that were taken down but were not a part of any cheating and so didnt need any modification. Would be a shame that they loose the effort they made to breed, for actualy respecting the 'code of conduct'.

... Like ours :P haha, guess i'll see.

Thanks for your answers moderators :) 

If you're a legit player. Be worried if played on any of those servers. Even for 5 mins blanket bans affect all accounts but if you are being rounded up by W/C that means only off there official servers. Seeing they have no authority to affect you other than there official servers list because they don't use proper ways to find cheater. battleye has nothing to do with this blanket ban mechanics.

Ark's code of conduct is full of lies!!! battleye and VaC bans are completely different than your official Ark Network list. there is no coalition between the two things so adding how battleye works in your code of conduct does not merge the two things. There is not one battleye steam ID on your Ark Network list is from battleye.  official Ark Network list is from only one place W/C.

This is info for the players by your new Enforcement Action

cheers

SCE_Deadeye

20 minutes ago, SCEDeadeye said:

If you're a legit player. Be worried if played on any of those servers. Even for 5 mins blanket bans affect all accounts

now i would think this is inacurrate.. I personaly dont worry at all and our main server is one of these.

There has been a total of 70 bans since they started this, and i think most if not all are the A-Team tribemembers. (not 100% sure except for the number)

They will just rebuild very fast anyway, but if they cheated hopefuly they wont ever again. :) Im confident they wont catch most of the cheaters tho. There are tons of aimbotters etc they just wont catch like this, but we can help them with that. :D 

They are not running this server for 6hrs-9hrs while no one can play so tames/babies die, then loading the server from there. They are freezing the servers without warning so cheaters can't transfer or hide their evidence. Devs then inspect the server offline for proof, load the server up from when they took it offline and dev wipe the cheaters. At worst a minor rollback and some playing time lost, a small inconvience compared to banning cheaters who dupe,undermesh,aim bot.

Your biggest worry should be that they may wipe the map. They may be able to identify the cheaters and ban them but it would be harder to tell who else benefited from the cheating, so easist course of action would be to ban those under the map or duping and  just nuke the server and move on. After all they did apologize already in case they hit innocent players.

6 minutes ago, Juggernaut said:

They are not running this server for 6hrs-9hrs while no one can play so tames/babies die, then loading the server from there. They are freezing the servers without warning so cheaters can't transfer or hide their evidence. Devs then inspect the server offline for proof, load the server up from when they took it offline and dev wipe the cheaters. At worst a minor rollback and some playing time lost, a small inconvience compared to banning cheaters who dupe,undermesh,aim bot.

Wow, i really hope that they did froze the servers. but its showing online... :/ 

23 minutes ago, ilidrael said:

now i would think this is inacurrate.. I personaly dont worry at all and our main server is one of these.

There has been a total of 70 bans since they started this, and i think most if not all are the A-Team tribemembers. (not 100% sure except for the number)

They will just rebuild very fast anyway, but if they cheated hopefuly they wont ever again. :) Im confident they wont catch most of the cheaters tho. There are tons of aimbotters etc they just wont catch like this, but we can help them with that. :D 

I agree wholehearted 

Assuming that this doesn't severely negatively affect the non-cheaters good....but if it does then wildcard is just being rude to paying customers that abided by their rules....and the people that did cheat would have been far less capable if wildcard would just fix their ongoing problem that have persisted for years.....ie undermeshing

1 hour ago, Eli said:

It just would not work that way. As we have stressed, this enforcement action will be a very time consuming one, lasting anywhere from 6-9 hours, possibly more. If we did not cordon off the servers and allowed people to come and go as they please, those caught in the middle of a malicious act would be able to inform other guilty parties of our actions and attempt to "clean house" during that 6-9 hour time frame, and by the time we approach the guilty party proof of their illicit acts would be beyond verification.

That's understandable.

However though with more servers coming on line(albeit still not up to the pre-8/29 950 mark) this seems to be a rather inefficient way to enact/implement.  I was under the impression that the team had more technical and subtle means by which to suss out who and what was being done and then enacted a response in one efficient action that would minimally effect those involved and as well those not involved on servers.

Thus if such a system is not in place currently to do that, I highly suggest the team develop such response system soon because 3 years of history of these sorts of shenanigans by players is not going stop.  I'm sure devs of studios like Blizzard can attest to that after over 10 years of seeing such things happen on some of their games and having more efficient response systems(though they too could do with improvements obviously) in place.

Archived