Megalos for Rockwell?

Sneakysmegal

I have not yet ventured into boss fighting and am not sure what kind of stats I'm looking for in Dino's to defeat Rockwell. My megalos are currently hatching at 8.6k hp, 1400 stamina and 361 melee. I usually set them to about 16k hp with 600 melee and then go from there. Are these good enough to fight Rockwell with? And how many would I need to be safe?

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Sneakysmegal said:

Probably unmounted. It looks like the best mount is a Drake going around hitting the limbs. If megalos are bad what are good stats for spinos? I was thinking I'd have them attack Rockwell while I kill limbs

Well unmounted Megalos only ever use their grab attack when fighting, which pretty much makes their melee stats pointless. Also, having dinos attack Rockwell whilst you kill the limbs is also pointless as Rockwell can't be injured until all limbs are down.

(Sry for the late msg. Stupid 4 post limit)

From what I have seen it works to have Dino's targeting Rockwell so when his limbs are down they start doing dmg instantly. And the player/players go around shooting the limbs with a shotgun. If there is a better Strategy I would love to hear it. Also, if megalos are not good the are spinos the way to go? And what stats are good for spinos. I was just given a bunch but don't know if they are good enough.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Sneakysmegal said:

(Sry for the late msg. Stupid 4 post limit)

From what I have seen it works to have Dino's targeting Rockwell so when his limbs are down they start doing dmg instantly. And the player/players go around shooting the limbs with a shotgun. If there is a better Strategy I would love to hear it. Also, if megalos are not good the are spinos the way to go? And what stats are good for spinos. I was just given a bunch but don't know if they are good enough.

I see what you mean, then yes it is good to have them attacking for when Rockwell is vulnerable. In my fight we had one player remain in front of Rockwell with 2 Spinos right at the front so as soon as the tentacles were down she whistled them to attack, but we had 4 players in total in our fight.

I'm not sure what our Spinos had unfortunately, but I do know that most of the damage was from our ascendant pump-action shotguns. The Spinos were mainly used as tanks with a lot of HP take some of the brunt from spawns such as Reaper Kings.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sneakysmegal said:

lol ive heard people say you can do that but how does that work?? ?

Same way that using Rock Drakes work - You aren't using them to damage the boss, you are using them to tank for you while you use shotguns or other weaponry to down the boss.

If you pump pure health on a Stego (With decent base health on it already), you can get it's health really high - A LOT higher then what you can get a Rock Drake's health once you start getting in mutations and what not. Stegos also have the benefit of veggie cakes, so you can restore a fairly significant amount of health every 30 seconds. Also, don't quote me on this, but I believe that Rockwell's little fireballs count as explosive projectile damage, so not only do Stego's take reduced explosive damage compared to Rock Drakes, Spinos, ect, they also take 30% less damage on top of that for the projectile - I could be wrong, of course.

So the main source of damage would be from nameless and reapers - Both of which have their damage greatly reduced by armor, so a high armor Stego would only take a few points of damage per hit from the nameless and reapers. Finally, the Stego has an excellent AoE radius, and fairly decent damage, so it won't be much of a problem to clear out Nameless adds, and you can just shotgun the Reapers down quick if they become a problem.

7 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

Same way that using Rock Drakes work - You aren't using them to damage the boss, you are using them to tank for you while you use shotguns or other weaponry to down the boss.

If you pump pure health on a Stego (With decent base health on it already), you can get it's health really high - A LOT higher then what you can get a Rock Drake's health once you start getting in mutations and what not. Stegos also have the benefit of veggie cakes, so you can restore a fairly significant amount of health every 30 seconds. Also, don't quote me on this, but I believe that Rockwell's little fireballs count as explosive projectile damage, so not only do Stego's take reduced explosive damage compared to Rock Drakes, Spinos, ect, they also take 30% less damage on top of that for the projectile - I could be wrong, of course.

So the main source of damage would be from nameless and reapers - Both of which have their damage greatly reduced by armor, so a high armor Stego would only take a few points of damage per hit from the nameless and reapers. Finally, the Stego has an excellent AoE radius, and fairly decent damage, so it won't be much of a problem to clear out Nameless adds, and you can just shotgun the Reapers down quick if they become a problem.

Ah thx. Next goal is to get them. ? was ready to try with drakes but at least the one shooting the balls should have a stego so i will work on that now haha.

I think meglo would work really well. We have a pack of 18 down in the drake trench that we use to protect us while getting eggs. None are ridden but clear 15 or more drakes in about 20 seconds so they are clearly doing massive damage and having watched them none use the grab attack as everyone else seems to think. This will definitely be what we use when we try Rockwell with a few people on drakes with shotguns as back up.

45 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

I think meglo would work really well. We have a pack of 18 down in the drake trench that we use to protect us while getting eggs. None are ridden but clear 15 or more drakes in about 20 seconds so they are clearly doing massive damage and having watched them none use the grab attack as everyone else seems to think. This will definitely be what we use when we try Rockwell with a few people on drakes with shotguns as back up.

Do they always use Alt attack whenever they attack? That does rather low damage and I doubt would be decent for Rockwell.

59 minutes ago, Vaculity said:

Do they always use Alt attack whenever they attack? That does rather low damage and I doubt would be decent for Rockwell.

Nope as already stated they don't seem to use it at all! Ours have around 500 melee each and 18 of them kill 15 or so drakes of all levels in about 20 seconds and they attack fast. If they actually stayed awake on other maps id definitely start using them for boss fights as I actually like them a lot more than rex now as they seem to get the job done a whole lot quicker.

5 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Nope as already stated they don't seem to use it at all! Ours have around 500 melee each and 18 of them kill 15 or so drakes of all levels in about 20 seconds and they attack fast. If they actually stayed awake on other maps id definitely start using them for boss fights as I actually like them a lot more than rex now as they seem to get the job done a whole lot quicker.

Yea i just had wondered if for some reason they used alt attack in the arena. but i think megalos are the way to go lol

• Volunteer Moderator
5 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

These videos show the actual attack damage of unmounted Megalos and you can clearly see the majority of hits are the grab attack. Although they kill the Stegos quick in these videos they are low level Stegos. 

When mounted on my Aberrant Megalos mine do approx 700 dmg to the target, yet when it is unmounted and I instruct it to attack a target it does about 50 - 70 dmg as it is constantly doing the grab attack.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't believe that yours wouldn't seem to ever use the grab attack. It may be that because you can't see the floating dmg numbers you can't tell between the attacks. Mine appear to always do grab attack no matter what and this is based on seeing the attacks numbers floating. I don't have any videos of my own though yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea it seems that any dinos that are brought are mostly to tank some hits and maybe do a bit of bonus dmg. I will probably use spinos that i have been breeding for bosses because they are stronger but i can only have a few that can attack rockwell at once. almost all the dmg seems to come from the players guns.

On 4/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, GP said:

Are you referring to only mounted Megalos or unmounted Megalos? If unmounted then I wouldn't bother because unmounted Megalos are next to useless in dps.

depends the stats you have on them because i have ones with 700+ melee and 10k hp with 80+ saddles on them and they are amazing

Archived