New to the Water

BipedTadpole

For me, the Basilo made all the difference in the world. Not sure on what kind of settings/server you're on, but if it's possible, I'd recommend getting a high level breeding pair and keeping them in safety. You can explore the sea with their offspring. And if something bad happens, you'll have them to get more.

I'm suggesting this because I thought I was invincible on my first basilo and went into the hard sea cave on the Island. We got swarmed, and pinned, and munched, then I had to go out looking for a new one to tame. Blah....

I had a hell of a time in the water until i got my Basilo's, they make a world of a difference.  A wild 100+ will do decently in the caves with a mate or a teammate.  We did the cave on the east side with a lvl 90 basilo and a 60 mosa np. Just pulled small chunks of dinos and cleared all of the jellies, eels before the mosa went in. Oh and Don't get pinned that sucks.

I felt unsafe in the ocean until I got a basilo. You can kill alpha megalodons with a low lvl basilo if you stay at the surface. Basilo regens health quick at surface.

Jellyfish and eels? Yawn. Basilo is immune.

Just don't dive too deep (mosa and tuso zone) or your basilo will take damage. That's the only catch.

The ocean is a dangerous place if you don't have decent tames for it. Sharks and Jellies are the biggest threats to most tames. Basilio is good for upper level transportation, but you will need a deep sea capable mount like a Mosa or Dunkley. Just be mindful of your surroundings. Don't want an Alpha sneaking up on you.

Once you get a basilo or a tsuo it's a whole new world down there just don't get off your mount next to euriptids (the under water scorpion) 

Get a decent level turtle spec'd into health and black pearls together and get your self a squid is my next advice, it's easier than it seems esp if your on custom tame settings

Everyone is saying basilo which is correct. However, taming those is not simple if you have nothing. However, a decent baryonyx will make the water a joke. They are easy to tame and they are so OP in water it's stupid with that alternative attack. I tame mostly on the center and a huge pack of mantas surrounding the basilo is usually a death trap to anything not as big or bigger than a basilo. With the Barry one spin attack and they are all fish meat fodder. Then the basilo is easy as hell to tame. once you get a basilo the water caves and everything else will open up underwater so to speak. It's not too bad after that.

5 hours ago, jcekstro said:

Everyone is saying basilo which is correct. However, taming those is not simple if you have nothing. However, a decent baryonyx will make the water a joke. They are easy to tame and they are so OP in water it's stupid with that alternative attack. I tame mostly on the center and a huge pack of mantas surrounding the basilo is usually a death trap to anything not as big or bigger than a basilo. With the Barry one spin attack and they are all fish meat fodder. Then the basilo is easy as hell to tame. once you get a basilo the water caves and everything else will open up underwater so to speak. It's not too bad after that.

Yeah baryonyx is a good way of getting rid of the mantas if you've got one, I sometimes use a shark cage under a raft as well to clear them out, 5x5 floating foundation then pillars around the edges built up to just below the surface, aggro them then retreat to the cage and poke them from safety :D

3 minutes ago, RageQuitter said:

Yeah baryonyx is a good way of getting rid of the mantas if you've got one, I sometimes use a shark cage under a raft as well to clear them out, 5x5 floating foundation then pillars around the edges built up to just below the surface, aggro them then retreat to the cage and poke them from safety :D

I would like a pic! Seems neat

4 hours ago, d1nk said:

I would like a pic! Seems neat

Not got one built at the moment as I usually take a saddle with me then demo the raft and ride the basilo back, once you've got a basi you can use it tank the mantas if you want to tame another, just knocked this up in wood to give you a rough idea of the layout, length doesn't matter as the pillars snap to the end of the foundations so you could make it 4 long but it's best to have it 5 wide as you lose 1/2 a foundation at either side and I've had mantas sneak round and hit me from behind, I build the pillars up so they're either just under or sticking out of the surface.

If you're not sure how to get the floating foundations place a wood pillar where the sail comes out, snap a thatch ceiling to it then another going away from the raft, now build down with wood pillars from there until you get to the depth you want, snap another thatch ceiling to the bottom pillar and another coming back in towards the raft then snap a stone foundation under it, once you've done that you can demo all the thatch ceilings & pillars and the foundation should float there, now just use thatch ceilings and stone foundations to build the platform out to whatever size you want

20180428141504_1.jpg

I made my first underwater expierience this weekend... crafted some scuba gear, tamed a lvl 145 megalodon by just facetanking. Farmed some mats for a nice journeyman BP I had laying around, saddled it and went for the see. 3 mins later I was back at the beach with a heavily bleeding shark (maybe the fact, that I just facetanked that bugger should have been a hint to its combat prowess...). While I went back to my base to get some meat to heal it some electric eel thingies killed it. Tamed an Itchy next only to have it eaten by mantas while I was elsewere... Tamed another shark (this one is still alive) and finally found a place to safely store it in a small river right behind my base. I explored a bit and learned about the marine foodchain (basically everything eats megalodons for breakfast... a lvl 15 mosasaur looks so tiny), almost lost that shark to some jellyfish things... had to kill them with narco darts because I didnt have normal arrows with me and melee was no option. I ended up nearly knocking out my own mount because that stupid thing clipped in and out the jelly fish swarm. Then I read this thread and decided to get a basilosaur. First step was taming a barionyx to clear mantas... now I am still looking for a decent lvl basi... 85 was highest so far... on the plus side I have enough oil now to run my indy forge for 2 weeks.

But I can definetly recomend the barionyx for everyone who is new to water. It feels just like an allosaur. Its attacks actually hit things (its ability to swim backwards is a huge advantage in combat), u can use mounted weapons and it also is a nice and very fast medium combat mount on land. And of cause it has its special attack (rightclick), that makes it invinceble vs sharks and mantas. I just pulled everything in viking bay, spammed rightclick for a minute or two and got like 15 levels and 2000+ fishmeat... maybe this will be my new meatrun...

On 4/28/2018 at 9:27 AM, RageQuitter said:

Not got one built at the moment as I usually take a saddle with me then demo the raft and ride the basilo back, once you've got a basi you can use it tank the mantas if you want to tame another, just knocked this up in wood to give you a rough idea of the layout, length doesn't matter as the pillars snap to the end of the foundations so you could make it 4 long but it's best to have it 5 wide as you lose 1/2 a foundation at either side and I've had mantas sneak round and hit me from behind, I build the pillars up so they're either just under or sticking out of the surface.

If you're not sure how to get the floating foundations place a wood pillar where the sail comes out, snap a thatch ceiling to it then another going away from the raft, now build down with wood pillars from there until you get to the depth you want, snap another thatch ceiling to the bottom pillar and another coming back in towards the raft then snap a stone foundation under it, once you've done that you can demo all the thatch ceilings & pillars and the foundation should float there, now just use thatch ceilings and stone foundations to build the platform out to whatever size you want

20180428141504_1.jpg

Wow this is awesome. Thanks for the how to

On 4/27/2018 at 2:45 PM, BipedTadpole said:

So I've always been terrified of the ocean in this game. I've got some decent bary's and just got my first basilo. What advice do you water veterans have so I'm not constantly rage quitting when I do something stupid? 

I've always felt the same way. I got some scuba gear and a crossbow and was doing pretty well farming up pearls but then I got cocky and the jellies got me and then the megas kept me dead. Still want to go back in, just getting started on my PC so hoping to check that out eventually. Good luck!

Archived