advice Caving single player

SirPeter

Looking to start doing caves on my single player. Don't normally do them as I have more of a building and breeding play style but wanted to change it up a bit. I have started making soups/brews, I have bred a few vultures all around level 170-230, I think I have six of them not including the original breeding pair so I can make more when needed. So far I have located the ice cave entrance where the "ice queen" is located. I believe that this cave is pretty difficult solo? I have watched a few youtube videos but I don't want to watch too much and lose the fun in the adventure. Can anyone provide any constructive advice for doing this cave solo. I do have single player settings checked so I don't know if that makes it stupid easy or not? I have difficulty on 1.0, the highest it will go on PS4 as if I make the number any higher it always resets to a maximum of 1.0. What I plan to bring currently:

Asc auto rifle (not sure good amount of ammo to bring), xbow and roughly 3-5 grapples, various brews/soups (not certain which all are best. Making several of each, never used them before.), two-three sets of fur armor with some flak mixed in for extra protection, six bred vultures (not certain best stats for vultures), small base with bed at cave entrance, asc shield with crazy good durability (would have to look to know exact amount), decent asc sword, and night vision goggles (no idea if it gets dark but I play without touching gamma for more difficulty). 

I am certain I am missing something and absolutely expect there are some solid tips and tricks that can be shared. I do wish to explore entire cave if possible and get as much loot as I can as well as defeating the ice worm boss at the end. I think I'll be doing a mind wipe before to add more healh, stam, and melee as currently my build is mostly in weight. Good stat recommendations are welcome as well.

I wish to do all the caves on Rag eventually so please feel free to post any other awesome cave coords. Only other caves I know about is this one, the lava golem (don't know coords yet), and puzzle cave from people talking about them. 

There is also the Carnivorous Caverns, which is kind of a mini-cave - It has artifacts, but no loot crates. It's also very easy, since the only enemies I have ever seen in there on official are megalosaurs and megalanias, and you can bring in a Giga if you want.

The Labyrinth is probably the easiest of the real caves. You only have to watch out for traps, puzzles, the occaisonal bat swam (Lol bats, just shotgun them), and the end boss is pretty easy with decent flak+shotgun. Just get used to the traps and puzzles is all.

The Jungle cave is your standard cave - Spiders, bats, centipedes, lava, ect. Lava Golem is rough though - It only melees so you can kite it decently, but its tanky as raptor. You'll need many, many, many bullets, rockets, ect. Tek Rifle is the best weapon to use against it imo.

Ice Cave is all about dealing with the deathworms - Extremely squishy, extremely high damage. Breeding in a Sabertooth for both portions (Tunnels proper and Queen's den) can make a world of difference.

I suggest Labyrinth, Ice, Jungle. You like to breed dinos, so breed dinos into the Ice Cave.

Is Carnivorous Caverns over by the lighthouse? I think I know about that cave. I'll check it out. I created a mini game over in that area where I spawned in like 30-50 gigas of random levels so it's kinda dangerous over there right now. Not quite ready to go over there and fight them. I'll try the labyrinth before I do Ice cave. On one youtube video they got on a ledge high above the lava golem and it was throwing molten rocks. They had several rocket launchers and took a while to shoot it to death. Looked almost boring like that. 

@FrogspoisonWhen you say breed in, you mean raise a baby in the cave right? I don't think any tames beside shoulder mounts will fit into Ice cave? I don't have any sabers as I have been using the new wolves. They are awesome but I'll get me some sabers so I can use a saddle in cave. Would I be better off breeding in a Thyla?

5 hours ago, SirPeter said:

Is Carnivorous Caverns over by the lighthouse? I think I know about that cave. I'll check it out. I created a mini game over in that area where I spawned in like 30-50 gigas of random levels so it's kinda dangerous over there right now. Not quite ready to go over there and fight them. I'll try the labyrinth before I do Ice cave. On one youtube video they got on a ledge high above the lava golem and it was throwing molten rocks. They had several rocket launchers and took a while to shoot it to death. Looked almost boring like that. 

@FrogspoisonWhen you say breed in, you mean raise a baby in the cave right? I don't think any tames beside shoulder mounts will fit into Ice cave? I don't have any sabers as I have been using the new wolves. They are awesome but I'll get me some sabers so I can use a saddle in cave. Would I be better off breeding in a Thyla?

Yea, raising a baby in the cave. Thylacs are the best tame imo, since they can easily handle the worms+boss and have great mobility. The Carnivorous Caverns aren't by the Lighthouse, but rather directly west of the Volcano - You know that small swamp near the beavers? Two of the 5 entrances to the cave are there, one with a large opening that you can fit large dinos inside, and the other in the castle itself that you can barely fit any dinos in.

2 minutes ago, AngryChris73 said:

Is anyone having problems with bats being immune to shotguns, i got rekted alone at the lava cave

Are you using the basic, double-barrel Shotgun (2 shots per), or the fabricated shotgun?

The basic Shotgun that you craft at a smithy has a very, very wide spread, so it deals low damage to small targets like the bats. The Fabricated (Pump-Action) Shotgun has a very tight spread, and I was murdernating bats with them.

Pump...

Just now, Frogspoison said:

Are you using the basic, double-barrel Shotgun (2 shots per), or the fabricated shotgun?

The basic Shotgun that you craft at a smithy has a very, very wide spread, so it deals low damage to small targets like the bats. The Fabricated (Pump-Action) Shotgun has a very tight spread, and I was murdernating bats with them.

I felt a little wild last night and went and did the Ice cave since I had been preparing for that a little. I tried several different weapons and the pump action shotgun is definitely my favorite for dropping the ice worms in 1-2 hits. I probably like the compound bow a little more but since I am alone and don't have anyone to tank for me I prefer shotgun more. With the armor I had it was reducing attacks down to barely hurting me at all. Med brews probably not even needed. Wow the durability loss though is crazy. I got lost for a little while because I overlooked the uphill climb to the waterfall to drop in Queen chambers, thank the lord for Youtube haha. On single player I've learned flyers are not allowed past a certain point due to some fatal error. So breeding in an argent will be out of the question, LAME. I am not even allowed to use grapple hooks. That could definitely be handled better than just "you can't use that". Should have a 85-100% per second chance when grappling ice, the hook comes loose and you fall wherever you are during the grapple. Would make grappling a dangerous gamble and not kill the player experience completely and destroying any immersion a player had. I lost all my vultures so I can confirm I need more health on them. Going to try again with way more HP per vulture. Wasn't impressed with them going through but when I got to the Ice Queen I was SUPER thrilled the little suicide fowl gave it's life distracting the Ice Queen and I almost had her killed by the time she took out my last remaining vulture. Absolutely will bring an even better vulture to Queen again. Not sure if I'll bring six through if second test fails also as the regular ice worms do so much damage the vultures don't last very long. Learned a lot doing it, main thing being I may look into an unofficial server as doing it on single player apparently has restrictions other game modes don't have. Besides the flyer issue, the boss arena only had three loot drops and the queen spawned in middle of arena and if I didn't send my vulture in to announce my arrival I would have had to jump down to get her attention thus probably result in my death. 

Archived