[Devs] Combat Pass

Darckray

Maybe ask this question in the readers digest? I think you'll have the biggest chance of getting an answers from devs that way. But i think they won't answer the questions until the features are almost finished and they have a feasable ETA... and they're smart for doing it that way... they'll just get too much poo from people without patience. 

10 hours ago, panteni87 said:

Maybe ask this question in the readers digest? I think you'll have the biggest chance of getting an answers from devs that way. But i think they won't answer the questions until the features are almost finished and they have a feasable ETA... and they're smart for doing it that way... they'll just get too much poo from people without patience. 

I did so many times, i even managed to get some of the questions in the first page, sadly, they didn't answer...

However, i made a thread about giga balancing a few weeks ago and i got not only one, but TWO dev answers!

if this thread gets enough attention i'm sure they'll see it.

What i'm worried about is not on-foot combat, i'm worried about mounted combat, only thing we have now is LMB and some special attacks, and, since nobody's talking about this issue...

But yeah, neither of them looks finished to me :v

1 hour ago, Darckray said:

I did so many times, i even managed to get some of the questions in the first page, sadly, they didn't answer...

However, i made a thread about giga balancing a few weeks ago and i got not only one, but TWO dev answers!

What i'm worried about is not on-foot combat, i'm worried about mounted combat, only thing we have now is LMB and some special attacks, and, since nobody's talking about this issue...

Troo. I was hoping at least for some finisher animations in regards to creature combat. Perhaps it'll be addressed in the TLC pass? At the very least maybe one day they won't clip.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Darckray said:

I have posted, more than once, about special moves for dinos, including some that are only available to the wilds.

These are just some examples.  If you are concerned about a combat pass, you need to put your ideas out there.

Rex: 

• Stomp Attack : Ants, dilos, compys, and, even raptors will not longer want to get under foot; and no more rex break dance spin moves until they die.
  • Tail Swing Attack : Used for swatting at fliers, especially the small and annoying ones.  Dimos and dragon flies would be scattered to the winds. Argens and Ptera would not enjoy this either.
  • Head Ram :  A wild only attack that is used more against gates and walls.  Instead of breaking teeth of on metal, the Head Ram(or even a body ram) would stress the materials so that enough attacks would destroy what is in the way of their escape.  This would be AOE, so that a section of wall would be subjected to the stress.  Makes pit taming a little harder for something that should not be so easy to tame.
  • Throat/Neck Grab : Grabs a single enemy, doing constant damage.  But, this keeps the Rex from using its AOE and leaves it open to attacks from others.  This also keeps the target from running away.
  • Surprise Attack :  Basically, the rex(and especially wilds), would crouch next to a rock or in thick trees and spring forward in an initial surprise attack; which also might include an auto throat grab.

Trikes:

• Ram and gore : The trike singles an enemy, rams it, and embeds its horns into the target, doing constant damage, and possible DOT after the horns are extracted.
  • Set and defend : Instead of charging an enemy, the trike holds position, raises its horns, and lets the attacker impale themselves, doing heavy damage, plus DOT; also block the throat grab.

Dire Wolves, Sabers, and Raptors:

• Hamstring attack : Go for one of the targets legs, temporarily slowing the target(no run or jump).
  • Back attack : This attack allows the wolf/saber/raptor to jump onto the back of something they are fighting(if what they are fighting is tall, they would need to come off of a nearby ledge/hill) and attack the more vulnerable spots along the back.  This attack would be ineffective against stegos due to its armor plates.

Bronto and Stego:

• Tail Swat : This is attack/defense is used against flyers, to knock them away or, possibly, out of the air; may even slow/stun the attacker.

Ptera:

• Barrel roll :  Yeah, they already have this, but if I could, it would make the barrel roll more effecting against small targets, especially insects and Dimos, and a lot less effective against large targets, especially Rex and Bronto.
  • Impale :  This would be the attack to use on bigger animals, where the ptera uses is long beak, and some speed, to impale their target.  The ptera would have to be lined up on the target to be effective; you cannot make a turn and impale at the same time.  Of course, for a short time, the ptera would be stuck in/on their target, as it would take a few seconds to withdraw their beak and fly off.  This might also do some DOT.

Argen

• Power dive : Even though these are not eagles, they seemed tuned a bit that way.  When pointing downward, they should fly faster, not slower.  And, also, in doing this, they could initiate a power dive attack, where the Argen pulls up as the last second, lettings its speed and claws do a lot of damage to the target.
  • Grab and fling :  A variation on the grab, but where the argen does not hold onto its target, but grabs and flings it in one motion.
  • Use Strafe R and L for banking R and L, for better turns.

Argen, Ptera, and Quetzal

• The back button allows them to fly, slowly, backwards and/or upwards, depending on the camera orientation.

Other things to consider would be:

Herbivore Stampedes : Where one or more types of herbis all stampede in the same direction.  Even a rex would think twice about getting in the way.

Group Flee : If a group of attackers takes a sudden loss in numbers, the rest might just take off.  If 4 dimos are attacking something and 2 get killed very quickly, 1 or both of the other dimos might just flee(for real, not the run away and come back mechanic.  Also, if one or more flees due to damage/topor, the others might also follow.

Variable Low HP/Low Topor reaction :  This is for the wilds.  But, instead of just making everything run and then turn around and come back, put some variety into it.  They might run and then come back(like now).  Or, they might run and never comeback.  They might call for help, which could trigger a stampede(if is is a herbivore) or call in more for the battle.  They might fighter harder; the other half of the fight or flight reaction.  Or, they might fight past death; that is, even when they hit zero HP, they fight for a few seconds more.  They might also have a desperation attack before fleeing; like the rex head ram, but instead of into gate or wall, into your mount before taking off.

Trips, stumbles, and falls : As it sounds, weather fighting or fleeing, and especially if injured, a chance for an accident that that could leave one temporarily vulnerable.

Injuries :  Taking a sudden high amount of damage, or getting low on HP, could result in weakness that might limit speed, increase stamina drain, prevent jumping(or flying), stop special moves, or lower damage per attack.

Stamina : Wilds need to start using stamina.  If I can hold out long enough, I might be able to chase down a fleeing animal as it runs out of steam.   Also, a lot of the special moves/attacks listed above would use more stamina.

It's awful as it is. Super lame just standing there with your head inside a bronto, repeatedly pressing RT while watching it turn red until it collapses.

Even a level 238 Argy shouldn’t be able to just hover inside a level 1 Rex’s mouth, spamming attack until it dies and barely taking any damage in the process.

I try to have more realistic fights sometimes, but ehhh...

On 2/20/2016 at 4:35 PM, SMK said:

It's awful as it is. Super lame just standing there with your head inside a bronto, repeatedly pressing RT while watching it turn red until it collapses.

Even a level 238 Argy shouldn’t be able to just hover inside a level 1 Rex’s mouth, spamming attack until it dies and barely taking any damage in the process.

I try to have more realistic fights sometimes, but ehhh...

Mounted combat will be great, you'll see.

I thought about lots of things that could be added globally (for all dinos, i mean) i feel like we currently need:

Dodge Buttons (On foot and Mounted) Press directional key twice to move quickly in that direction (requires a little bit of stamina)

Block button (Mounted, could work for unarmed, on foot combat as well) Reduces damage/Negates damage (depends, for example, carbonemys' shells could work like a natural shield, mitigating damage until they 'cripple', this could apply to doedicuri and ankylosauri as well, if the creature is unable to block because it doesn't have any kind of natural armor, blocking may only be possible by using dino armor, this applies to creatures like the direwolf or the saber, creatures with average natural armor like the rex or the giga may have less armor health than heavily armored dinos

Perfect blocks can be achieved by blocking just before the attack lands, these mitigate armor durability damage and may stagger the enemy sometimes)

Finisher animations (On foot and Mounted, Happens when your creature is using a power attack on a relatively low level or damaged enemy, insta-kills foes)

Special attacks (Jerryn's suggestion seems like a good idea)

Power attacks (On foot and Mounted, requires moderate ammount of stamina)

Better Animations (these would make the game a lot more immersive and fun, varied, per-dino attack animations when attacking continuously would make combat look a lot better than it currently does)

Dino personalities (these are a bit tougher to make, what i mean is something like, timid dinos that are easy to kill, stubborn dinos that never give up... that kind of thing, not really necessary but i think it'd be nice to have something like this)

Critical hits (these happen when hitting soft spots, not random)

Archived