Ideas on how to revive SOTF

TheRealSnek

About a year ago, the spin off for Ark, Ark: Survival of the fittest, was cancelled. The problem of SOTF was the fact that matches took a very long time, there was only one map, and there was no way for wildcard to profit off of the game. It was free to play with no buyable cosmetics. The game was also outdated compared to the normal game, as about 50% of the creatures in the base game were not in SOTF

Here are my solutions to this issue.

-get rid of the free to play SOTF and replace it with a new game, which I’ll call Ark: Combat Evolved (ACE). A price tag of about 30-45 dollars would be appropriate 

-release more game modes such as an arena wave mode where dinosaurs come from an arena, and you have to be the last of 12 people to survive

-Create more cosmetics for ACE, which can only be acquired if you buy loot boxes containing the item. Players would be able to import these cosmetics into the base Ark game. The only thing is that these cosmetics are gonna have to make the dinosaur/player look good, or else people won’t buy loot boxes

-the base game of ACE should still have the normal SOTF mode, but with around 5-10 different maps

-make special maps available to people who bought the DLC such as Scorched Earth and Aberration

-The UI and dinosaurs should be updated to how they are in the up to date base game. The TLC should really improve them

-New weapons and possibly even creatures in the game. And possibly add a way for people to have the game to import them into the normal Ark

These are my ideas. I might make another thread on the specifics of the game. Let me know what u guys think #revivesotf

Currently, the best bet of a sotf-esque thing going forward is Poker's mod at the moment.

Otherwise, some other player driven project is the only way Sotf style fans are going to see anything because a year ago the devs stated that pretty much it would take player/community run efforts otherwise.

You can read this article from last year with Jeremy talking about the whys and why they'll not be revisiting it in the future unless its crowdfunded/driven in some manner: https://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-of-the-fittest-is-an-experiment-that-didnt-catch-on-but-we-do-think-theres-a-fun-game-there-says-studio-wildcard/

7 minutes ago, Novarae said:

Currently, the best bet of a sotf-esque thing going forward is Poker's mod at the moment.

Otherwise, some other player driven project is the only way Sotf style fans are going to see anything because a year ago the devs stated that pretty much it would take player/community run efforts otherwise.

You can read this article from last year with Jeremy talking about the whys and why they'll not be revisiting it in the future unless its crowdfunded/driven in some manner: https://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-of-the-fittest-is-an-experiment-that-didnt-catch-on-but-we-do-think-theres-a-fun-game-there-says-studio-wildcard/

But this was over a year ago. Ark has been released, and after this next DLC, wildcard is gonna be looking for another game to work on. This should be the next project afterwards

I think that sotf have gender change and look like the royal battle game without removing the taming and craft for those guns, kind of map more balance on resources and dino, a random spawn on the map, the random end zone, and especially the system to launch the game, like the same system as pubg or fortnite.
it may be the modder community that should develop a Total Conversion as its

and a skin shop and reward for equipment and weapons and dino is not bad as an idea

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, TheRealSnek said:

But this was over a year ago. Ark has been released, and after this next DLC, wildcard is gonna be looking for another game to work on. This should be the next project afterwards

I can tell you didn't read the article.

Sure the article was a year ago but the conditions(again if you actually read the article) for why and what would need to occur for Sotf to be revisited have not changed.

As for your other point: cite your official sources that Devs has stated that:

1.  The last dlc in the Season pass(extinction) will be their last official content project for ark.

2. That after Extinction WC will be looking for another game to work on.

That's just conjecture on your part to fit your agenda/narrative.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, Cirar said:

While I assume you attempted to format your quoting incorrectly there, you might want to realize that even though Snail Games is the parent company for Wildcard since the Dec 2015 merger,  Pixark has a whole different dev team in a completely different locale working on it; and this all has -zero- to do with the torch waving for sotf anyway.

• 11 months later...

You know a great way to start reviving the game? If everyone actually played it. If people got a community of players how would like to play and revive it, people could host like a once a week tournament. Sure it would probably be a small amount but as word spreads overtime, people would see that people still play this game and would want to join in. We all know that there are plenty of people who would love to come back to Sotf. Of course the game doesnt have a lot of content compared to the main game but if enough people begin to play the game, WC might see it as a revival chance and "MIGHT" think about updating it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BubbaCrawfish

SotF was free in the first instance anyway... Wouldn't see why making a paid version of it would make any encouragement to people to join it.

Just needs to be a mod made to do this sort of thing... No need for it to be a DLC, or a paid thing at all...

SotF was after all just a total conversion... Of which the source code is out there to be found if you were actually able to do such a thing.

• 4 months later...

Maybe try events again.

A few sotf (or ACE (which btw is a great name)) exclusive skins will probably help.

Add dlc content, for those who already purchased it, or can be bought seperately for sotf (or ACE)

Maybe tease weapons and combat related stuff using it.

Natural hazards, teleporting pads, maybe abandonned tek bases, with lore snippets.

Exclusive maps.

Game mode ideas:

• A game mode with tek, where you find element and tek in the abandonned bases.
  • A quick fight, where you start with nothing and end fighting with bows and slingshots rather than firearms and armies.
  • A giant maze.
  • A malfunctioning ARK, adding one effect every 5 minutes, such as tilted gravity, low gravity, extreme cold spots where the water freezes over, extreme hot spot where things catch fire, broken day/night cycle, etc.
  • The long run, where you play until everybody dies, no arena size change.

These are just hypothetical, and I didn't come up with names for the game modes, but you can try.

Oh and also, maybe add new bosses, or some from ARK mobile.

• 1 month later...

heres a simple and easy idea the WC can do, either get another company to work on SOTF or just spend time refurbishing it. i mean they are constantly just throwing new content at us that we dont want or ask for. so why not stop that and just work on SOTF. also release it on console. depending on what is changed and improved i dont mind paying for SOTF. release it on console. honestly i dont mind if SOTF comes to console as it is. i just want it on console.

I liked SOTF and i wish i could play it but i doubt they'll put effort in. I loved the concept but it needed a lot of QoL changes. I would have kept playing if the crafting and taming and controls for all that could be streamlined better. It was fun but clunky as hell. Make the map smaller, less ppl like 12-20, make crafting simpler, taming easier and let the players be the challenge.

That would force conflict a little better. Get the clunky stuff out of the way. Less people in a smaller space makes it more sustainable and matches shorter for those who only play a match here and there. In fact you can largely get rid of structures since they only served to build the craft stations that people needed to use to craft their kit. Just let people craft directly from their resources. There was no need for base building or that jazz. In fact if they were to add anything id add more pvp focused items. Things like:

• traps
  • bombs
  • camoflage
  • shields (personal bullet shields that have finite power. Maybe have some broken down TEK around map to loot for element to power it.)
  • small deployable area shields.
  • Med Kits for players and their tames
  • Buff potions and Debuff traps or grenades, mines etc.
  • Deployable Turrets with a small turret limit per player and high resource costs (also powered with element and no bullet crafting since thats tedious)

Give ppl a huge variety of playstyles. Anything from sneaky, to Tek and Mek to dino swarm etc.

Things like that can keep an arena game fast paced and interesting. Then do Loot boxes (hear me out b4 you rage.) That give mostly just badass skins or "kits" that you can use once to start with a certain pvp kit. Have all these things grindable for the F2P crowd and just make it quicker to obtain for P2P crowd. Nothing that changes mechanics and no gold only keys to open them. Do the 3 slot thing and use currency to open faster. Anyone who places in Top 50% should get a free box. Can also make in game currency to buy kits with. Make simple kits cheap to keep up and big kits Box only drops. Let em buy skins but not boxes so no p2 win. They can open em faster but they still have to play to get them like everyone else. Put optional ads in game for a free box like 3x per day or something. And have the usual rarity for boxes. White, green, blue, purple and orange. No stupid energy mechanics. No stupid pay to win.

The most successful F2P games i see are the ones that offer a load of good fast paced content and monetize their game around collectibles. People love to customize. Me included. Would so sell my soul to Play SoTF and get sexy skins while i kick ass lol.

Archived