How to Heal Wild Dinos you are taming

Jaymin

Ok, isn't it annoying when you trap a high level anything, but for example lets say a griffin, and you are using crossbow tranq arrows on him/her.  You've used like 70 already, and then it starts getting really bloody.  Dang.  What about taming a rex? It's in the trap, and all of the sudden 5 Argentavis attack it.  Dang.  You kill the Args and he s super bloody.  If you shoot him at all, he'll die.  

This is what you NEED to do! (This only works for carnivores)

1. Find a nearby medium/small dino (dilo, raptor, galimimus, parasaur, etc.) KILL IT. yay.

2.  Drag the body to your rex, and make it pretty close to him, so he can reach it.  

3. Fly/ride/run away a bit, and then the dinosaur will eat the body.  You need to get far away enough that he will deaggro off of you.

4. His health will go a considerably high amount.  Now repeat until there is no blood.

This might have already been a known strategy, but I hadn't seen it anywhere.  Wherever I saw it, people said it HAD to be their kill, which it clearly doesn't.

Please reply if you though this was helpful, or if it sucked, tell me that too.

To be honest I have not had a problem with this.  Yes, the animal gets injured when you tranq it, but once it's unconscious its health does not go down.  All you have to do then is feed it and stand guard over it when its taming.  Once it wakes up its health rapidly regenerates.  If on solo player you can always choose to disable friendly fire so that if anything does come near to you and your unconscious dino, you can attack it without worrying about accidentally hitting your sleeping dino. 

Just don't do what I did; coax your target T Rex into the sea, knock it out and watch it drown as it sleeps >.<  I think they can cope falling asleep in shallow water, but not deep water.

On 4/19/2018 at 7:12 AM, Myrm said:

To be honest I have not had a problem with this.  Yes, the animal gets injured when you tranq it, but once it's unconscious its health does not go down.  All you have to do then is feed it and stand guard over it when its taming.  Once it wakes up its health rapidly regenerates.  If on solo player you can always choose to disable friendly fire so that if anything does come near to you and your unconscious dino, you can attack it without worrying about accidentally hitting your sleeping dino. 

Just don't do what I did; coax your target T Rex into the sea, knock it out and watch it drown as it sleeps >.<  I think they can cope falling asleep in shallow water, but not deep water.

Yeah, once it's knocked out it's fine, but I'm talking about if the dino had a rough time before it got knocked out.  This has helped me and my friend many times.

Thank you so much for the feedback.

2 hours ago, Jaymin said:

Yeah, once it's knocked out it's fine, but I'm talking about if the dino had a rough time before it got knocked out.  This has helped me and my friend many times.

Thank you so much for the feedback.

Ah, yes, sorry I didn't think of pre-taming injuries.  You are, of course, quite right in that it could affect the taming.

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 3:53 AM, Weiss said:

Sometimes you can lure wild daedons close to your tame and attack them, so they start healing (themselves and whatever wild is in their range) :) idk if this works with every animal.

Good idea for non meateaters :) 

Just make sure the nasty little pigs dont attack your tame :/

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 8:39 AM, DaleTheWhale said:

Good to know as I'll be hunting down a Doed tonight.

They ball up at a certain % of hp. If it balls when you shoot tranq darts (arrows will not work) then you pretty much are effed. Unless you know hes down soon (ie. It says 26 darts for down, youre at like 22) you pretty much need to abandon the tame until he heals up. He will ball at the same % so if you dont wait long enough itll be another moot attempt

1 minute ago, d1nk said:

They ball up at a certain % of hp. If it balls when you shoot tranq darts (arrows will not work) then you pretty much are effed. Unless you know hes down soon (ie. It says 26 darts for down, youre at like 22) you pretty much need to abandon the tame until he heals up. He will ball at the same % so if you dont wait long enough itll be another moot attempt

Perfect timing, I've just got all the kibble I need to tame one so will be hunting one down within the hour.

Appreciate the information!

On 4/19/2018 at 4:48 AM, Jaymin said:

Ok, isn't it annoying when you trap a high level anything, but for example lets say a griffin, and you are using crossbow tranq arrows on him/her.  You've used like 70 already, and then it starts getting really bloody.  Dang.  What about taming a rex? It's in the trap, and all of the sudden 5 Argentavis attack it.  Dang.  You kill the Args and he s super bloody.  If you shoot him at all, he'll die.  

This is what you NEED to do! (This only works for carnivores)

1. Find a nearby medium/small dino (dilo, raptor, galimimus, parasaur, etc.) KILL IT. yay.

2.  Drag the body to your rex, and make it pretty close to him, so he can reach it.  

3. Fly/ride/run away a bit, and then the dinosaur will eat the body.  You need to get far away enough that he will deaggro off of you.

4. His health will go a considerably high amount.  Now repeat until there is no blood.

This might have already been a known strategy, but I hadn't seen it anywhere.  Wherever I saw it, people said it HAD to be their kill, which it clearly doesn't.

Please reply if you though this was helpful, or if it sucked, tell me that too.

Good info, thanks.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:40 PM, rcarteraz said:

If it's in a trap and you go far away doesn't it derender and cause the dino to get out of the trap? Also, is this just to keep it from dying before you knockout? I guess I'm a little confused on why you would need to do this. It's good info though.

yeah, it's for keeping them from dying while you're shooting them, because tranq darts and arrows all do a bit of damage, so if they are hurt from a fight before then it can kill them, and if you have to wait it out until they heal up after you've already shot them a lot with tranq stuff, then they lose torpidity over time and you waste lots of ammo.

8 hours ago, Jaymin said:

yeah, it's for keeping them from dying while you're shooting them, because tranq darts and arrows all do a bit of damage, so if they are hurt from a fight before then it can kill them, and if you have to wait it out until they heal up after you've already shot them a lot with tranq stuff, then they lose torpidity over time and you waste lots of ammo.

Gotcha!

4 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

You can actually one-hit kill things like penguins and gallimimus with a headshot from a tranq dart so be careful

You are more likely to one-hit kill dinos with a tranq arrow then a tranq dart - Tranq arrows deal 35 baseline damage from an xbow, 4.5x as torpor. Tranq darts deal 26 baseline damage from a longneck, 8.5x as torpor. Finally, shocking tranq darts deal the same 26 baseline damage, but 17x the base damage as torpor.

So a 290% damage longneck, max possible on officials, will deal 226 damage to a target that has takes 3x damage from the head. So yea, low lvl Gallis/Kairukus will die from a head shot.

However, there are NO dinos that will die from bodyshots with tranq darts and NOT get knocked out, barring extreme situations in which the dino is high lvl, but has no points in health (Which in and of itself is only possible on a few dinos).

Bottomline is, you need to know if you're ready for the tame. No use using tranq arrows on griffins as there is already a chance it would die if you used arrows,even at full health. If you dont have tranq darts, why are you even taming a griffin for? You just aint ready.

If its a maxed level tame you're after, yes do the kite and feed thing if it becomes bloody, but surely you are experienced enough to know what to use and what not to use that it your tames would never get bloody. If you arent experienced, why the heck are you going for a max level for?

7 hours ago, Kyubikage said:

Bottomline is, you need to know if you're ready for the tame. No use using tranq arrows on griffins as there is already a chance it would die if you used arrows,even at full health. If you dont have tranq darts, why are you even taming a griffin for? You just aint ready.

If its a maxed level tame you're after, yes do the kite and feed thing if it becomes bloody, but surely you are experienced enough to know what to use and what not to use that it your tames would never get bloody. If you arent experienced, why the heck are you going for a max level for?

Tamed lot of griffins on primitive and we only had arrows, maybe its harder after nerf ?

Archived