Why not merge legacy and official servers?

CarpeDiemIn

On 4/25/2018 at 10:55 AM, CarpeDiemIn said:

Have not seen any 1k dura armor (I have seen 400-500 dura asc riot) might be possible to hit 1k dura with a maxed craft character but unlikely. There are moore than 100 players on legacy top 10 servers usually around 20 players at peak with several servers hovering around 5 then of course you have 2 pages  of 1-2 player pop. Sadly download safe is not an option for my platform. It would be difficult to break the new servers as they are already broken and plagued with the same issues. Basically “the same but different” lol

note: I am referring to pvp legacy xbox

This makes sense as the consoles had less invested in the legacy servers than PC did as PC was the first to get ARK before it was ported to console.  (Not dissing consoles, I have an XBOX as well.)  I also base my opinions on people that have come back from the new cluster with horror stories.  A few below....

1) Major alpha wars require devs to be online monitoring the war as cheating, hacking, undermeshing, etc is so rampant that without a dev there it devolves quickly.

2) Because major tribes don't war with each other as much, they spend a lot of their time griefing small tribes to fill their twitch streams with something.  This has led to an unpleasant play experience for new/casual players, or even vet players that are starting over.  

Now, I am not an idiot.  I don't buy into #1 as being true, but it might have a sliver of truth where Dev's have had to step in to monitor wars in the past.  I don't buy that it is a daily occurrence. 

#2 seems to be more realistic.  This is also shown that of the top 5 servers, only 1 is a Wildcard official server. 

rank.thumb.GIF.825c697889f7f3d8ea299600d0ca78b7.GIF

If #2 was false, then we would be seeing more official servers in the top ranks.  I do find it amusing that #1 and #2 are Game of Thrones role play servers.  :)  

@LouSpowells

Even if you disagree with my thoughts that the new cluster is full of duped items, etc...  I think it would be hard to argue that there is a positive play experience there for anyone not in some kind of an alpha tribe.  If that wasn't the case, then the new cluster officials would be making the top ranks of the server lists. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, ac273 said:

If #2 was false, then we would be seeing more official servers in the top ranks.  I do find it amusing that #1 and #2 are Game of Thrones role play servers.

Whenever you see "Top XX of YYY" always ask following questions:
1. Who created that "top"?
2. what were criterias for selection?
3. who are the judges?
4. is it possible that there are paid options on the site that hosts that "top" to promote servers/give them more exposure?

• Administrator

I know the topic has taken a different direction now, but to add some clarity: our Official Servers,  have a custom setup versus regular pc-dedicated servers due to our enormous crossARK network. Legacy servers use a deprecated saving file system, one that we do not use on our current Official Server Network. Merging them would require some additional development work, and we would rather put those efforts towards other things such as the weekly fixes. Also, our most recent take-down of Legacy servers targetted instances which averaged <1 concurrent player for a week of game time, so they were practically ghost towns, and there's still quite a few of those left. 

3 hours ago, Jatheish said:

I know the topic has taken a different direction now, but to add some clarity: our Official Servers,  have a custom setup versus regular pc-dedicated servers due to our enormous crossARK network. Legacy servers use a deprecated saving file system, one that we do not use on our current Official Server Network. Merging them would require some additional development work, and we would rather put those efforts towards other things such as the weekly fixes. Also, our most recent take-down of Legacy servers targetted instances which averaged <1 concurrent player for a week of game time, so they were practically ghost towns, and there's still quite a few of those left. 

So what if the remaining legacy servers have more than 5-10 frequent players active? Do you plan to delete those servers in the future even if they have active players on them?

14 minutes ago, Remote said:

So what if the remaining legacy servers have more than 5-10 frequent players active? Do you plan to delete those servers in the future even if they have active players on them?

The devs  haven’t deleted a single server in any of the migrations with more than a 5 player average so I don’t think you need to worry

Just hope you’re server pop doesn’t die hehe.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:20 PM, ac273 said:

@LouSpowells

Even if you disagree with my thoughts that the new cluster is full of duped items, etc...  I think it would be hard to argue that there is a positive play experience there for anyone not in some kind of an alpha tribe.  If that wasn't the case, then the new cluster officials would be making the top ranks of the server lists. 

I don't disagree with your thoughts. I agree with the facts. The fact that I have to explain that concept to adults is horrifying.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:53 AM, Jatheish said:

You referenced pc, does that mean pc only or is this the same across all legacy servers on all platforms?

Guest DJRone89
37 minutes ago, CarpeDiemIn said:

You referenced pc, does that mean pc only or is this the same across all legacy servers on all platforms?

All official/legacy servers are PC-dedicated across all platforms.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, CarpeDiemIn said:

It's the same for all platforms, I was just specifically mentioning PC as they're all hosted on PC regardless of platform, but operate differently to regular PC dedis. 

On 4/30/2018 at 1:26 PM, LouSpowells said:

I don't disagree with your thoughts. I agree with the facts. The fact that I have to explain that concept to adults is horrifying.

Funny that I am the only one that has posted anything resembling data so far.  Your 'facts' are nothing but salt opinions.   Who did you learn your alternate fact spinning abilities from?  Kelly-Ann Conway?

And since someone asked, the server ranks are by average population.  It is not a pay to be boosted up the ranks scheme. 

On 4/26/2018 at 4:58 PM, DarthaNyan said:

Whenever you see "Top XX of YYY" always ask following questions:
1. Who created that "top"?
2. what were criterias for selection?
3. who are the judges?
4. is it possible that there are paid options on the site that hosts that "top" to promote servers/give them more exposure?

1) A server parses data and ranks the servers
2) By population over 1month period. (Can also be parsed by 24hrs and 3 month periods.)
3) Software
4) No, but users can pay to access additional information about the servers and players.

I am actually against this server reporting as it is why you see thousands of 123 steam names with profiles completely locked down.  It is also what griefers use to offline servers based on when the population is is not present.  I am not sure the original intent, but the actual result has lead to negative player experiences overall.  ARK is not a game where you want to be tracked.  This isn't a Battlefield PvP game where wins and losses are only for bragging rights. 

Here is the current top 10.  There was a major war on 385 that I am guessing the home team lost as the server population has plummeted to near non-existent. 

Ranks.thumb.GIF.275ba25ee7673bdd04a12bdbb46b2dee.GIF

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2018 at 6:13 PM, Vesuvious said:

How would you merge? Either everyone loses All thier tames/bases or no-one does.... you cant overlay one map's assets with another.

It would be no different than creating a system image from one operating system and putting it on another (nothing would need to be deleted or lost). In this case though the code would need to be changed in regards to the save files as jat stated earlier. 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, CobraForce said:

My name is Cobra I'm an admin in a strong tribe on legacy and call for a petition to merge legacy and official. I've never duped ever and don't believe I should have to lose everything just cuz others have cheated the game. I have two colored wyverns that I will not leave behind.

No, You are Cobra an Admin in a tribe on a Dead Corpse of a server that the birds have picked clean and the maggots have stripped the bones. You were warned months ago and decided to ignore this warning and for that you deserve to lose everything and start fresh like everyone else.

Legacy Been dead

On 4/17/2018 at 9:23 PM, VoidScape said:

As I've always heard Legacy servers were affected by a massive number of dupes/exploits prior to release that were fixed at release and that is why they are separated. Not sure if this is for sure the reasoning but it makes sense.

Hahahaha if that is there reasoning they may as well merge them, since they never fixed any of the dupes before launching the new servers, + the admin console dupes. the new servers are just as bad.

5 hours ago, CarpeDiemIn said:

It would be no different than creating a system image from one operating system and putting it on another (nothing would need to be deleted or lost). In this case though the code would need to be changed in regards to the save files as jat stated earlier. 

And bases/dinos that occupy the same space?... popular build locations and all that? Who decides who's base gets wiped?

Guest DJRone89
2 hours ago, CarpeDiemIn said:

Just move on to another game. I’ll likely do so if it happens to us. Don’t have time like I used to

Or start over now and make up the time in between. Your legacy server may not die for another 6 months or even a year. You’re going to lose everything anyway, why wait around?

16 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Or start over now and make up the time in between. Your legacy server may not die for another 6 months or even a year. You’re going to lose everything anyway, why wait around?

“Don’t have time like I used to”. Ark requires a lot of time to advance and progress. It’s the main reason why a lot of players remained on legacy.

not sure if there's anyone who mentioned all the testing that were done on the legacy server

starting a new cluster and not allowing transfers between the 2 allows the current set of codes to work fine and have no need for backward compatibility.

one example I can quote you is...tribe merger bug. until today I cannot merge with another tribe without screwing up the server. yes this is on official. hi.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, HiImZech said:

not sure if there's anyone who mentioned all the testing that were done on the legacy server

starting a new cluster and not allowing transfers between the 2 allows the current set of codes to work fine and have no need for backward compatibility.

one example I can quote you is...tribe merger bug. until today I cannot merge with another tribe without screwing up the server. yes this is on official. hi.

I believe that the only difference in code is the save files (as jat stated) and the server naming convention. All structures, actions, landscape, dinos and characters should have the same coding. I can’t imagi wildcard would change the code for these things as it would basically create a whole new game and would have been a large waste of time and resources for the same thing.

Archived